Saudis taking over Newcastle | Maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyH1

If morals were truly followed, yall would have boycotted football ages ago considering the whole damn sport is ran by FIFA.
Sigh. How hard is it to understand?

FIFA is corrupt, money sucking organisation. They don’t kill journalists or bomb Yemen though.

podurban2

Hope our sjw moral police are happy that we will now also finish below Newcastle.

Watch them hire poch and Sacho and Maddison in the summer
Saudi has nothing with ”sjw moral police” to do. Actually it’s common sense moral to not want to be owned directly by a dictatorship that oppresses women, homosexuals, atheists, etc.

Ban

Saudi has nothing with ”sjw moral police” to do. Actually it’s common sense moral to not want to be owned directly by a dictatorship that oppresses women, homosexuals, atheists, etc.
Or kills journalists when they come for their passport.

C'est Moi Cantona

As often seems to be the case when these things are first reported, it's most likely won't happen.

Having said that Newcastle is a club that wouldn't sicken me seeing getting a bit of bought success, as it wouldn't have done if Everton had got the lucky Abu Dhabi pin instead of Man City, plus it might have the added benefit of seeing City slip into obscurity again.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
On what do you base this ridiculously disrespectful analysis?
It's not disrespectful - Solskjaer is a solid League 1 level manager.

He took the Bluebirds down to the Championship, was then sacked in 17th place - i.e he failed in the PL, and then failed in the Championship.

He's now failing in the PL again and will most probably soon be dismissed from his post again.

The Norwegian League is weaker than the Championship, that's why no Championship clubs were in for him in the 4 years after he was sacked by Cardiff.

Though I imagine you have excuses to absolve him from his own actual managerial career, and explain away the reality that is right in front of you.

marktan

I'd rather support a shit United than one bankrolled by the Saudis.

mu4c_20le

It's not disrespectful - Solskjaer is a solid League 1 level manager.

He took the Bluebirds down to the Championship, was then sacked in 17th place - i.e he failed in the PL, and then failed in the Championship.

He's now failing in the PL again and will most probably soon be dismissed from his post again.

The Norwegian League is weaker than the Championship, that's why no Championship clubs were in for him in the 4 years after he was sacked by Cardiff.

Though I imagine you have excuses to absolve him from his own actual managerial career, and explain away the reality that is right in front of you.
That's some strong mental gymnastics there.

ROFLUTION

Seriously hope we along with Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs would break out and form a normal english league for clubs without oil money. These clubs are reshaping history Into plastic just to whitewash their country's shitty behaviour.

UN has even accused prince MBS of hacking/sending malware to Jeff Besos (blackmailing), so a paper of his would stop writing critical of Saudi Arabia

Football is not football anymore if this takeover happens and become the standard. Football just becomes a tool. Feck'em - please make a league without these warlord-cnuts

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
January window takeovers are a bit of a cliche now around this cub tbh. Seems we get one every year that'll never quite seems to pan out.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Sigh. How hard is it to understand?

FIFA is corrupt, money sucking organisation. They don’t kill journalists or bomb Yemen though.
If you peel back the onion that is FIFA, you’ll be sure to find connections with murderous regimes that involve millions of dollars. Check the effects of the World Cup in Brazil. Check out what’s going on in Qatar for 2022. Yet everyone here who has an opinion on KSA are going to watch it and enjoy it despite who died unnecessarily to help construct the event.

United are also a club who are happy to flaunt themselves out to US and Chinese markets. These two countries have been committing worse atrocities than Saudi Arabia but we’ve got moral issue with profiting from our tours and fans.

The point I’m making is that we’re already bypassing many morals to engage with this sport in it’s current state. And this outrage reeks with extreme western bias. Guarantee there wouldn’t be anywhere near the same level of Obama or the Rockefellers were set to buy United even though you can make the same connections that we do with MBS.

And while this may dwell into other topics, I find it interesting that the top clubs are all based in countries who have a history of genocide and enslavement around the world. Like do we ever question why is it that wealth is concentrated enough in certain places to set the conditions for clubs to attain extreme wealth? Might be worth a thread in the future.

MichaelB1807

Sad thing is, most billionaires will have a shady background somewhere or another. You don't make 'billions' without having some kind of shady past, without taking advantage of or hurting somebody. Be it sweatshops, dirty oil money, something, somewhere there will be something you have done that has compromised or taken advantage of others, I suppose depending on who you are they can keep it out of the media. There will be exceptions, and not all shady goings-on would be as bad as each other. I think I would rather we got taken over by a group of multi-millionaires with a longer-term project to return us to the top, rather than the heart and soul ripped out of the club with dirty money and instant success. Just some progress would be nice. We need something different from our current owners, but at what cost?

Reactions: SteveJ

Rhyme Animal

That's some strong mental gymnastics there.
Not at all -

He's failed in the PL (twice) - he isn't a PL level manager

He failed in the Championship, and no Championship side came in for him in 4 years - he isn't Championship level manager

It's fecking obvious. And btw, being a solid League 1 manager isn't a fecking bad thing! It isn't an insult.

League 1 is a damn respectable level for a manager to reach and make a decent career of - it isn't to be sniffed at.

But take that solid League 1 manager and stick him behind the wheel at OT, and you're looking at a messy reign, no doubt.

Again, it's right in front of you - and again, League 1 level manager is not an insult.

The insult is on the fecking idiot that stuck him in this job, and the fans who can't accept Ole for what he is / isn't.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
If you peel back the onion that is FIFA, you’ll be sure to find connections with murderous regimes that involve millions of dollars. Check the effects of the World Cup in Brazil. Check out what’s going on in Qatar for 2022. Yet everyone here who has an opinion on KSA are going to watch it and enjoy it despite who died unnecessarily to help construct the event.

United are also a club who are happy to flaunt themselves out to US and Chinese markets. These two countries have been committing worse atrocities than Saudi Arabia but we’ve got moral issue with profiting from our tours and fans.

The point I’m making is that we’re already bypassing many morals to engage with this sport in it’s current state. And this outrage reeks with extreme western bias. Guarantee there wouldn’t be anywhere near the same level of Obama or the Rockefellers were set to buy United even though you can make the same connections that we do with MBS.

And while this may dwell into other topics, I find it interesting that the top clubs are all based in countries who have a history of genocide and enslavement around the world. Like do we ever question why is it that wealth is concentrated enough in certain places to set the conditions for clubs to attain extreme wealth? Might be worth a thread in the future.
In which countries do you believe the top clubs should be then?

A9X SJ

Smoke screen happens most transfer window to hide the fact they don’t spend much on players - Heard fans moaning about it today on news

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Newcastle have a similar problem to us in having shite owners. I wonder if the fans share the same moral qualms many of us have about having Saudi owners.
Seems like quite a few have a problem with it from my quick look.

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s key investment tool
feck off. This is the end.
Only we could go from Mike Ashley to a an actual genuine murderous cnut. fecking hell man.

If he passes the fit and proper test they should just retire the test.
FWIW, this lot are getting their fingers into everything in recent years in an attempt to rehabilitate their image as murdering dictators stuck in the stone ages. They’re paying massive money to get big sporting events into their country so there’s some degree of logic that they’d try to get into the Premier League. And, of course it’s us
So a murderous, theocratic dictator investor fronted by Stavley who's Prince Andrew's ex girlfriend. We might need to get Max Clifford on this lads to smooth out the edges a little... oh shit he's dead isn't he
I’d honestly rather stick with Ashley. He’s a weapons grade cnut but at least you can’t accuse him of stoning people to death for apostasy or witchcraft.
On a separate note, I don't think I'd feel good about it. Some will say not to make it political, but their investment in sports like WWE, boxing, and theoretically football is entirely politically motivated, and they make no secret of it.
Hopefully this is just media ****.
Yep if they could f*** off I'd be perfectly happy. If anyone boycotts in protest against Mike Ashley but signs back up for Saudi royalty they need to give their head a shake.
One's a cockney wide boy who has dodgy working practices the other a state that murders people and has slave labour
Practices rampant misogyny, throws gays from rooftops, executes people for witchcraft, classifies atheists as terrorists, is currently committing genocide in Yemen and yes murders people.

If they did buy and we had a pre-season tour there I hope the fans realise that female and atheist fans won't be able to attend, the first because women aren't allowed to and the second because it wouldn't be safe.

But hey they'll spend loads of money so who gives a s*** about moral standards.

I would be done with the club for as long as they were the owners.

OverratedOpinion

Yes, that's both going to happen and a great idea.

We could call it the Brexit PL, and instead of the PL lion logo, we could have Farage holding a pint of English bitter...
It isn't a good suggestion, it won't happen but can you explain why you think that has anything in common with Brexit?

ROFLUTION

Yes, that's both going to happen and a great idea.

We could call it the Brexit PL, and instead of the PL lion logo, we could have Farage holding a pint of English bitter...
I hate brexit so please dont put me in the same locker as that. How the feck is this brexitism?! I Just want decency and well earned history in the game

Rhyme Animal

It isn't a good suggestion, it won't happen but can you explain why you think that has anything in common with Brexit?
I hate brexit so please dont put me in the same locker as that. How the feck is this brexitism?! I Just want decency and well earned history in the game
Tbf it was just a joke but -

'Breakaway', 'our own normal English League'... cmon, there's enough there to at least draw a line to the slogans of Brexit!

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
In the American Nfl three quarters of the 32 owners have to approve the sale of a team to an individual. Also it has to be an individual not a corporation. Problem solved.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Smoke screen happens most transfer window to hide the fact they don’t spend much on players - Heard fans moaning about it today on news
Not this time, the Wall Street Journal are citing sources from the Saudi side and their minions are on Twitter confirming the talks.

Bojan11

No. Is the problem being owned by governments or getting unearned money?

Then why do it if there's no money to be made? There are cheaper and more effective ways of laundering money.
And who is getting unearned money?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The guys who were entrusted towards managing football left it open for a way for oppressive regimes to find a way to whitewash over their crimes with using a football club.

Whether it's man utd or Newcastle utd or even Liverpool in the worst case for me , as humans , people need to stand up and say this isn't on.
True say.

Greck

If the Saudis cant afford our club no private investor comfortably can. People forget being worth billions doesn't mean you have 3 billion dollars in cash available for spending on demand.

Sad Chris

It’s generally sad how many people are more worried about our league position than the fact that the game we love is being politicised.

Owners that don’t care about any club other than as a means to an end.

There will be nothing of real value worth supporting. But thanks to the resurrection of tribalism I’m afraid it won’t be a problem for the investors.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
In which countries do you believe the top clubs should be then?
According to this article, it should be Iceland.

I don't mean to suggest moving clubs to other countries or anything like that. I'm just drawing the connection between broken morals and successful clubs. There were conditions that allowed for the former empire countries to have enough wealth where billionaires could exist in the first place to buy clubs. Ok, it's not as direct as a regime-based ownership but among the many reasons a league like the PL rose to the top, the conquests of the British Empire has its role. But as I mentioned previously, this is a kind of topic that might warrant its own thread.

Football is a dirty business and is conducted for the sake of being propaganda machines and to find every possible to way to part fans from their money at the cheapest labor costs possible, and United is no exception. Hell, we were about to do a tour of the middle east until the last minute due to my country deciding to play Risk with Iran. Where was the outrage of this tour? If it's not worth outrage, then is there a certain threshold of human rights violations we're okay with? FIFA are the ones who allowed this in the first place so unless they ban these kinds of ownership, this is the only way in my opinion to compete among the best.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I don’t get it. You have leagues in every country. How do you not have a majority decision by the other owners on who can buy a team. If they believe a new prospective owner is shady then they don’t vote for admission.

Status
Not open for further replies.