Saudis taking over Newcastle | Maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It’s probably nonsense but this would make way more sense than buying us. Would be a fraction of the cost, there would be less opposition from fans and the media.

If the Saudi’s are going to invest in a Premier League team I think it’s very unlikely they would buy Utd.
This is very unlikely. Saudis go for the shiniest thing which is us. I won't believe it until it is confirmed. Having lived in SA for 18 years after Barca and Real we are definitely the most popular. I don't want them here but I would be surprised if they didn't try hard for us.
The whole point is that they'd be after a worldwide PR machine.
Man Utd would secure that, Newcastle certainly wouldn't.

Teja

Judging by the number of fans city have worldwide now, it's pretty easy to buy a club and convert it into a PR machine.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Great club, great fanbase, great stadium, huge untapped potential in a part of the country without a hugely successful team. Just in general a good proper football club.
They have got a big stadium, but so have a lot of teams.

Why not buy Sunderland, for a fraction of Newcastle's price? And have a prouder history in terms of league titles.
Less pressure to build up as well, being in league 1 currently.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
If it stops Liverpool winning everything for the next 5 years, I'm all for it.
Be careful what you wish for. Right now we are showing other clubs like united how to do it the right way. The PL might be owned by State regimes in the near future. You might think were bad for football because of your hatred but in reality we might be the best thing to happen to the league and united keeping these feckers at bay.

cyberman

Newcastle are a big club compared to Watford etc but they fall apart outside of city lines.
In no way is their support a factor.

RoyH1

Good . Do not want the murderous Saudi Crown Prince’s footprints anywhere near our club. I’d happily accept midtable mediocrity to avoid that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Be careful what you wish for. Right now we are showing other clubs like united how to do it the right way. The PL might be owned by State regimes in the near future. You might think were bad for football because of your hatred but in reality we might be the best thing to happen to the league and united keeping these feckers at bay.
You did lash out world record sums for both keeper and centre back.
So let's not overdo the "right way" chat, as if you've brought everyone through the youth system!

cyberman

Feck off with this shit. We have done it the right way for 25 years. Well done on on your first ever PL title btw.

DartMaverick

Supports
ManUtd
We are fecked if this is true. Glazers are slowly falling into the real financial trap with ManUtd, now it is the best ever moment for them to sell for a reasonable price or at least to put more shares on the market, may be with little fractions, smth like 5-7% of shares to sell every year.

Roboc7

Which they would have once they start throwing cash around, just like City.

The initial PR and resistance to a takeover would be a lot better as well, trying to buy Utd would be a much bigger story and spark much more negativity.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
You did lash out world record sums for both keeper and centre back.
So let's not overdo the "right way" chat, as if you've brought everyone through the youth system!
We’ve shown everyone that you can win while others have unlimited funds if you have the right people in place. That’s the right way. Spend what you can afford from legit owners and put in a world class mgr and system and you obviously can outdo the state run sugar daddy’s of the world. Your welcome

fps

Football is not, ultimately, important. The idea of Manchester United being a PR machine for the Saudis would bring the club to a never ending low, regardless of how many trophies they won.

If they take over Newcastle, then that will be a sad day. But not because Newcastle are pushing Man United further from a Champions League spot.

RUCK4444

Projection...as usual in threads like this.
It wasn’t really meant as a dig at anybody.

Does grate a bit however that you never hear anybody even talk about the Saudi regime in normal day to day life, yet on here people act like their world will fall apart if they did own us.

I’ve Posted many times that it’s hardly going to make it worse, surely the more links with western society the better, the more eyes and press on them the better also.

It’s a much of a muchness. I worship the club and if Bezos bought us tomorrow I would much prefer that but this is our reality and one of the only viable buyers.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I actually think you're right and do think you definitely deserve the title, although I wouldn't admit it on here... oh, feck.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Are those clubs owned by governments?
No. Is the problem being owned by governments or getting unearned money?

It's not that difficult. Sovereign Wealth Fund is just group of words meant to sound innocuous but the vehicle is 100% tied to the regime.

Also, you don't get ROI with football clubs. Certainly not at a rate a SWF would find acceptable.
Then why do it if there's no money to be made? There are cheaper and more effective ways of laundering money.

MrPooni

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Hope our sjw moral police are happy that we will now also finish below Newcastle.

Watch them hire poch and Sacho and Maddison in the summer

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You're correct in most of what you've said but let's not pretend like we could transport Klopp and your board to Newcastle and they would be challenging in 10 years. Liverpool is a historically huge club with an extensive fanbase. No way this is possible without that residual advantage.

fps

No, they may well want a story, success, a “journey” is more marketable, like Man City.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Hope our sjw moral police are happy that we will now also finish below Newcastle.

There are things more important than football.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We’ve shown everyone that you can win while others have unlimited funds if you have the right people in place. That’s the right way. Spend what you can afford from legit owners and put in a world class mgr and system and you obviously can outdo the state run sugar daddy’s of the world. Your welcome
You were also massively helped by that ludicrous 140m from Coutinho.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I was already delighted by the news our supporters are waking up. But to now read that the Saudis might never buy United is just fecking fantastic. I don't want those cnuts anywhere near the club.

I'd rather watch my United in League Two than see a Saudi owned United gather hollow victories.

Delighted!

Alabaster Codify7

Newcastle ar a goldmine for owners like this.

If this happens this summer, I'd back Newcastle to finish top 4 20/21 as they'll massively back the manager. Season after, they could even be challenging the status quo for top two and I'm being deadly serious. Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester (not including us because we're barely top 6) aren't consistent enough to fend off a challenge of a Saudi-funded club.

fps

They kill and detain people for criticising their regime. Grow up. Football ultimately does not matter.

Alabaster Codify7

I was already delighted by the news our supporters are waking up. But to now read that the Saudis might never buy United is just fecking fantastic. I don't want those cnuts anywhere near the club.

I'd rather watch my United in League Two than see a Saudi owned United gather hollow victories.

Delighted!

So you love the fact our supports are waking up, but are also chuffed that the only potential buyer for the club will possibly be going elsewhere?

I'm no fan of the Saudis, agreed. But what exactly do you see happening here? Because it's completely invisible to me.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
You were also massively helped by that ludicrous 140m from Coutinho.
Never said we weren’t but we are not owned by a regime. Were a big club. Your a big club. It can be done obviously.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Nothing will happen, this rumour will die down in a few days like the other gazillion times they were supposedly getting taking over.

Roboc7

It’s not the moral police stopping the Saudi’s owning us. What people need to accept is there is nothing to suggest the Saudi’s want to buy the club or that the Glazers want to sell.

Raven

Whilst I hope they never get their hands on any football team, at least this might mean we dodge the bullet.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
It will be amazing to finally see Newcastle back where they deserve to be, I'd instantly want them to win the league. But it's just the worst possible way to become top dog, there's no genuine satisfaction in a huge Saudi cash injection, and I know how miserable they currently are.
Isn't there? Citeh fans seem happy enough.

PSG fans also.

If I was offered a million quid salary to do the same job I'm doing now, but the company was bought by a Saudi dynasty at the very top I'd gladly take it.

It's not like I'm doing anything differently.

There are evil bosses in the Western corporate world as well of course.

Indeed anyone working for the U.S government (at any level) could adopt the same stance due to their murderous foreign policy.

In fact, we'd be better to sort out the huge fecking mess our own countries are currently in (U.K and U.S) before clambering onto our high horses regarding who owns football clubs. It's laughable really - and I'm sure a fair amount of subconscious guilt projection is involved in the process...

Guy Incognito

Why do people think a Newcastle takeover will suddenly propel them alongside City or Chelsea? There is far more money in the game then there was 20 years ago, if anything it may take years before the club establish themselves as Champions League regulars. Plus with all the billionaires around, only one can win the league so there will be some butt-hurt owners.

The Glazers are leeches but the alternative most fans want is being financed by a sovereign trust fund and becoming part of a sportswashing project. The media don't do enough to question the intention of owners or challenge the idea that someone else shouldn't foot the bill. Anyway I imagine a European Super League will happen sooner or later to keep the hegemony happy.

Hawks2008

In a way I'm glad they're not buying us but long term Newcastle could do a city while we still flounder as a top 6 contender.

Worrying times.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
You're correct in most of what you've said but let's not pretend like we could transport Klopp and your board to Newcastle and they would be challenging in 10 years. Liverpool is a historically huge club with an extensive fanbase. No way this is possible without that residual advantage.
Common sense says yes you would need to have extensive funds to compete with these types of ownership. But were not talking about midtable teams competing with oil wealth are we. We are talking about teams like united and Liverpool who have legit owners and money to compete IF they have the right system.

Member 101269

Saudis buy united, remove the debt, use the div for sponsorship plus a little extra.. will that be enough?

Sentient Meat

Good . Do not want the murderous Saudi Crown Prince’s footprints anywhere near our club. I’d happily accept midtable mediocrity to avoid that.
I'm no fan of current management either, but choosing someone who actually murdered a journalist over someone who's made some questionable football decisions is absolutely mind blowing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.