Saudis taking over Newcastle | Maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Never said we weren’t but we are not owned by a regime. Were a big club. Your a big club. It can be done obviously.
Oh yes, our biggest problem has been monumentally catastrophic signings.
I think it'd be a real argument about whether ANY of our post Fergie signings have been a success.

Whereas Liverpool have got loads right, so much so, the ones that haven't been that great are forgotten.

MoskvaRed

So, if true, the lovely Mike Ashley gets a load of cash and cuddly MBS gets his entry ticket to the world’s most popular sporting competition. It’s increasingly hard to like football - particularly when, in light of United’s ongoing irrelevance, the one team that you might otherwise support against these doped teams is United’s biggest historical rival.

Sentient Meat

Some of you aren't considering what happens if you sell your soul to MBS and still lose.

Wayne's World

We are never going to get rid of those leeches are they?

They will plummet us into Leeds situation and then piss off laughing at us while we put ourselves in serious financial troubles....

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
tbf, part of it is down to luck too. Kante for example was found through stastical analysis but any of Europe's top clubs could have used it, it was just luck for Leicester that they were the only ones using it look at Kante. Vardy was lower league striker who they acquired in the championship and had a late career spike.

Conversely, Dalot was rated as one of the most promising young talents in Europe and has had back luck with injury.
5+ top picks, acquired for pennies and now worth enormous amounts is not "luck". You can get lucky, once or twice, consistent luck is called brains. Funny how we never get "lucky".

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
If its true, It bodes well for the Premier League, propelling another team into contention, breaking up the old guard. I see peoples point, over moral issues, but Im pretty sure few clubs have clean hands in that respect.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Common sense says yes you would need to have extensive funds to compete with these types of ownership. But were not talking about midtable teams competing with oil wealth are we. We are talking about teams like united and Liverpool who have legit owners and money to compete IF they have the right system.
Oh in that case then I agree with you 100%.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
So, if true, the lovely Mike Ashley gets a load of cash and cuddly MBS gets his entry ticket to the world’s most popular sporting competition. It’s increasingly hard to like football - particularly when, in light of United’s ongoing irrelevance, the one team that you might otherwise support against these doped teams is United’s biggest historical rival.
My 2nd team are Wolves (goes back to loving Stevie Bull as a kid and a much loved Subbuteo set in the 80s) - and they're doing things right, as are Foxes.

There are teams who are showing the way forward in English footy, Utd just need to ditch the daft sentimental decisions and catch up.

Even with the Glazers and Woodward, Utd could easily be 3rd in the PL right now with a proper manager at the helm.

Infra-red

Pleased that this will finally put an end to any talk of a Saudi takeover here.

As others have said, mid table mediocrity is infinitely preferable to being owned by that regime.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
This epitomises how fecked we all feel our club is - we're devastated that a rich nation aren't buying us.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So you love the fact our supports are waking up, but are also chuffed that the only potential buyer for the club will possibly be going elsewhere?

I'm no fan of the Saudis, agreed. But what exactly do you see happening here? Because it's completely invisible to me.
I see the Saudi's becoming a closed avenue for the Glazers, whilst the club declines in value so it's a question of when they want to get out, because they're sure not to be spending loads of money to improve the "brand" by professionalising all aspects of the club, becoming super ambitious in recruitment or addressing stadium issues.

Much like you, I am not privy to potential buyers, but if this public show of disdain is sustained, it will impact the value of what they see as a cashcow.

Fridge chutney

The guys who were entrusted towards managing football left it open for a way for oppressive regimes to find a way to whitewash over their crimes with using a football club.

Whether it's man utd or Newcastle utd or even Liverpool in the worst case for me , as humans , people need to stand up and say this isn't on.
Well said!

Teja

It is a strange concept for a nation as a whole to buy a football club though.

Imagine if America owned Man Utd or France owned Chelsea.

Denis' cuff

I wonder if the FA will step in and stop any takeover like they did when Murdoch wanted to buy United.

They didnt stop Abramovich or the City takeover.

One rule for United...

RoyH1

It is a strange concept for a nation as a whole to buy a football club though.

Imagine if America owned Man Utd or France owned Chelsea.
Ooh, that could be a fun thing to do. Have a little poll to assign English clubs the nation that's a best fit to buy them.

Yeah, it's a crazy thing. I don't know why UEFA allowed it in the first place.

matt10000

Only £340m? I taught Newcastle was valued at around a billion pound. Regardless, this makes it harder to justify keeping Ole with the league getting stronger.
Do you think that the justification for keeping Ole is because the league is weak?!?!?

OverratedOpinion

If its true, It bodes well for the Premier League, propelling another team into contention, breaking up the old guard. I see peoples point, over moral issues, but Im pretty sure few clubs have clean hands in that respect.
What exactly is good about "breaking up the old guard" with superficial injections of cash?

As a Leicester City fan I would think you understand the value of growing in an organic way. Your one title meant more than all of City's combined to my mind.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The dick measuring contest between this lot, City and PSG is going to get unbearable. Don't walk into any embassies Brucey!

RoyH1

The dick measuring contest between this lot, City and PSG is going to get unbearable. Don't walk into any embassies Brucey!
I'm looking to the jilted Utd fans with no scruples as to who owns them to turn their teary eyes to Kuwait or Oman next

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
If morals were truly followed, yall would have boycotted football ages ago considering the whole damn sport is ran by FIFA.

Infra-red

City on (more) steroids
The Saudis will no doubt be very keen to show Abu Dhabi/Qatar who is boss - I think we can expect to see some very serious money being spent this summer in the North East. Maybe it won't be the black and white of Juventus, that Pogba ends up playing in next year!

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
There are always ways around that......appointments to company boards where they do sweet FA for huge salaries etc.....
If such a thing ever becomes a reality, they'll regulate those things hard and circumventing league rules would incur severe punishment like ban from competitions.

redshaw

Wish they'd buy a Spanish team like Valencia. I don't begrudge Newcastle getting invested in though, would've been better if the Abu Dhabi people bought a club in the North East or Midlands or in mainland Europe. Buying City in the North West with United and Liverpool I don't think was warranted.

We have United Liverpool Arsenal with financially backed City and Chelsea all expected to get into the top 4. Spurs have done a great job being up there in the last 5-10 years. Newcastle would be another team expected to get top 4. I feel it's too crowded already. Could even mean over time CIty Chelsea and Newcastle are the mainstays with the old guard of self made clubs rotating in and out as they can't sustain the spending and players opt for guaranteed places in mainland Europe unless a Super League happens with no limit on country numbers.

Flying high

My 2nd team are Wolves (goes back to loving Stevie Bull as a kid and a much loved Subbuteo set in the 80s) - and they're doing things right, as are Foxes.

There are teams who are showing the way forward in English footy, Utd just need to ditch the daft sentimental decisions and catch up.

Even with the Glazers and Woodward, Utd could easily be 3rd in the PL right now with a proper manager at the helm.
Not with this squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.