Scholes the Pundit

Manucho the boss

Doesn't give a f*ck whose toes he steps on, respected by all in the game so can get away with anything. Hopefully some of our fans won't start turning on him this season, he's just being honest.

LARulz

I'm itching to see the reaction on here, the first time he has a pop at United.......
I think it will be fine, assuming he doesn't do a Neville and say we should be sticking to a 4-4-2 only. But that's what I mean though, Neville's usual defence of 4-4-2 was constantly just stretching teams and pace, we did that but were shit under Moyes. If we struggle next season in this 3-5-2/5-3-2 then I hope they can provide constructive criticism. Say why it's not working, not just 'I don't like it, it's not the United way'. Whatever the case, he'll be miles better than the crap they have on the channel now.

I do also wonder though, does this completely rule him out of having a role at the club in a coaching capacity?

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I think it will be fine, assuming he doesn't do a Neville and say we should be sticking to a 4-4-2 only. But that's what I mean though, Neville's usual defence of 4-4-2 was constantly just stretching teams and pace, we did that but were shit under Moyes. If we struggle next season in this 3-5-2/5-3-2 then I hope they can provide constructive criticism. Say why it's not working, not just 'I don't like it, it's not the United way'. Whatever the case, he'll be miles better than the crap they have on the channel now.

I do also wonder though, does this completely rule him out of having a role at the club in a coaching capacity?
As I said, you can mark it down that himself and Neville will be shooting LVG down, any time they get a chance, while bigging Giggs up

Acole9

Outstanding
I take it this means he will not be on the coaching staff at any level for next season?

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
Straight talker. I hope doesn't try to be politically correct like Neville did after getting the Emgland gig. We need more people who tell it like it is.

Blue always red

If we had Ronaldo and Bale would you not agree 4-4-2 last season would have gone 10x better? If we had kept Moyes I'm 99% certain we would have been in for some top class wingers and I reckon this is what Nev was going on about. Whilst Nev's been at United, we've almost always been a 4-4-2 team because we've always had some of the best wingers in the game, unfortunately that stopped and Fergie started buying players like Shinji to move to a new set-up. Gary obviously didn't get the memo, lol.

Seveneric

He'll be nice to watch. He'll hopefully act as a counterbalance to the LVG koolaid which people seem to have been drinking en masse. As long as he doesn't try to big up Giggs as the next manager or some nonsense.

jason93

Can't wait for this. Scholes is straight to the point and I find it amusing how he says it in the dryest tone possible.

The only people upset about this are those who thought Scholes was this shy quiet goody-two shoes. Sorry to break it to you but he's got a mind like everyone else. And he's free to speak it.

Drifter

American
Manchester United legend Paul Scholes agrees with new manager Louis van Gaal that the squad he inherited from former boss David Moyes is unbalanced.

Van Gaal recently described his squad as a quality group of players, but insisted they had been left “broken” by their failings under Moyes last season.

And speaking at an event in Oldham to promote prostrate cancer awareness, Scholes told Sky Sports News he agreed with the Dutchman's assessment, adding the loss of left-back Patrice Evra is a significant one.

"He said it himself and the squad looks unbalanced to me,” Scholes said.

“They have a number of number tens, with Juan Mata, Shinji Kagawa and Adnan Januzaj, and Ander Herrera looks more like a number ten than a central midfield player.

“Tom Cleverely you could argue is a number ten as well, so there is a lot of them type of players but they are struggling a little bit for defenders.

“Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans are the only recognised defenders. He said he likes Michael Keane and Tyler Blackett who are up and coming, but his priority will be defenders.

“If you look at the first three lads I mentioned they don't have great injury records as well. They don't seem to play as many games as the likes of Rio (Ferdinand), Vidic (Nemanja) and Evra (Patrice) who have been the cornerstone of the defence for the last ten years.

“If you take them out, especially Evra with the left-back situation with a young lad like Luke Shaw coming in on a big money move, there will be a lot of pressure on him.

“I think it would have been nice for Patrice to stay and guide him through that, but I can understand Patrice's side of the coin as well - he wants to play football.

“There are big losses there but there are young defenders there, and if they stay fit I think they will do well.”

Scholes also has no problem with Van Gaal’s straight-talking approach in the wake of the Dutchman’s public comments over Shaw’s lack of fitness.

“If they don't like it then tough,” Scholes said. “I think it's the best way to be when a player knows where they stand it’s always better than being a bit unsure.

“Does the manager like me or does he not like me? It seems with this man you'll know either way, and that can only be a good thing.”

The former Manchester United midfielder can also see the Dutchman sticking with the 3-4-3 formation that van Gaal has used during pre-season.

“He has played many different systems with whatever club he has been with,” said Scholes.

“With Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern Munich he could play any system but I think when he has had a look at these players this is the system that he feels is best to cope with the squad.

“I think it's designed to get his forward players in, he likes to get his two forwards Van Persie and Rooney and the number ten, which has been Mata in.

“When you have got the quality of these players in your team you can only score goals - if he can work any system around those three then United fans are in for a good season and an entertaining season with a lot of goals.”

Interesting that he sees Cleverly also as a number 10.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
My worry with Scholes is he'll become like a Keane more than a Neville. Neville knows about his tactics but apparently Scholes isn't all that keen, so I worry Scholes will be like Keane and be good at dishing criticism out and say it how he sees it, but won't provide much tactical view points or constructive criticism. Let's hope I'm completely wrong.

I still want BT Sport to wipe Sky Sports out, in terms of top football at least so every little helps
He is definitely more Keane than Neville. They have different personalities but, Keane and Scholes seem to have a similar view of the game.

Golden Nugget

Loved Scholes' honest comments at the world cup - thought most of what he said was spot on. Would much rather him go into coaching but he will be much better than the other guys on BT Sports.

Some people do need to realise that he is only 39. He has all the money he needs, yes, but to retire and do nothing at such a young age would be boring. He's now working once-twice a week while still getting paid and able to spend time with the family.

redevil2

As I said, you can mark it down that himself and Neville will be shooting LVG down, any time they get a chance, while bigging Giggs up
It's strange why people think Giggsy/Scholesy and LvG are on the opposite sides?!

Zoo

Good read, agree with most of it.

Last edited:

Empire

Scholes on Louis van Gaal:

From what I’ve seen in pre-season he looks a bit mad. He’s a bit like a mad genius, he looks a bit crazy.

togg

He's absolutely right, and basically echoes what the vast majority of the Caf think at the moment...the lack of quality in certain areas is screaming at everyone in the face....even the United tea lady could have given that interview and quoted pretty similarly....!

IwatUwat

Im not sure he'll be great, he just doesnt have enough charisma....I love Scholes dont get me wrong, but not sure this was right.

I'll love his opinions but not sure others will take a shine to him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

LInkash

Scholes doesn't think Herrera will cut it as a central midfielder for us, he's being awfully negative about us.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Despite Scholes being a continental quality midfielder he talks like a typical British one. The goal scoring attribute in a CM he insists on is especially annoying. We have enough strikers/No 10s who should and will score goals. How many goals do Xavi or Iniesta score?

Hope Herrera scores a goal soon so Scholes can leave him alone for some games at least!

LARulz

From watching him play. His most impressive performances in pre season came when he was pushed further forward.
Not saying he won't be good there but he seems to be happy to get stuck in more than your average number 10. He'll be good as a CM I think

Drummer

Scholes doesn't think Herrera will cut it as a central midfielder for us, he's being awfully negative about us.
He doesn't work for United because he tells it how he sees it . . I would take more out of what he says then a lot of the former united players on the United payrole . .

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he is just pissed off we didn't get Fabregas or Kroos. I have doubt's the more he sees of Herrera he will change that opinion.

Lu Tze

Really dislike him as a pundit. Herrera seems to be basically as good as he ever was defensively, yet he insists he's a #10, weird.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He seems to contradict himself a bit. I think when he talks about football being played he knows what he's talking about, but when it comes to specific things such as clubs and players, he's a bit iffy. He just said he tipped Swansea to go down and on live TV he's suddenly realised maybe they're not as bad as he thought when looking at the players they've let go this year.

Maybe he'll grow into punditry and have a Hansen moment.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I wouldn't take the no. 10 comments literally. Lots of people seem to call attack minded central midfielders number 10's these days. It's just a simple way of differentiating between those that sit deep and do their best work on the half way line or deeper and those that like to get further forward and pick pockets of space to create openings from, whether it's from central midfield or from a further forward position.

So taking it from that view, he has a point, even with regards to Cleverley, who looks at his most uneasy self when in deeper areas.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Would you rather Scholes being honest or this? Andy Cole seemingly tip toeing around the issue of David Moyes and his suitability for united.

IwatUwat

Anyone got links to his comments post utd's game, I didn't see the post match.