5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBrightside1989

It’s crazy they don’t play him in midfield, I would have thought he would have been their best player.
Robertson is the best player but struggles playing with the average players Scotland have at the moment, looks much better in the free flowing Liverpool team, funnily enough.
I agree that mctominay has to be in midfield and I think he would partner mcginn and McLean well. At centre back he struggled positionally and didn't do particularly well with the Israel equaliser, he was also caught under the ball a couple of times.

MrBrightside1989

I can't believe time was taken to made that video of a player passing the ball a few times, and not always particularly brilliantly.

OrcaFat

Very unlikely, the games will come think and fast. He will get games.
He will get games, I know. But he won’t get any momentum going. It will suit us in the short term to have all the bodies there to call on and, yes, McT can do a job, even off the bench.

But I would rather send him somewhere to play every game for a season because (if he gets the experience he needs) I think he can be an excellent no.6, and I’d send him out right now before Matic drops off the cliff. We might save ourselves £80m to replace Matic.

But I doubt it will happen.

izec

His biggest issue is his passing. If you are average as a midfielder at passing the ball, you will struggle.

Saddy

If he can become a "utility" player and cover at the back & midfield similar to Declan Rice he will be well worth his place in the squad but he needs an injection of "Carrick passing" ability because that's his main weakness - I like his attitude and he just needs that improved technique.

Remember Darren Fletcher and give the lad a chance - time on his side and he's United through and through so deserves our support

OrcaFat

And when Matic get fatigued we have zero cover! Sounds like a great plan.
Fred. Or juggle Pogba and VDB. No?

But I hear you. I think he will be here. I also think that means he will never develop into the player he could be. He might get 10 starts?

Litch

He's going no where. We tend not to sell academy players that make the first team. He's young and I suspect will still be the long term option at CDM....

Red_toad

Fred. Or juggle Pogba and VDB. No?

But I hear you. I think he will be here. I also think that means he will never develop into the player he could be. He might get 10 starts?
Pogba as a holding midfielder? That’s got disastrous written all over it. McTommy is the best backup we have, Fred roams too much and VDB isn’t a holding player either.

OrcaFat

Pogba as a holding midfielder? That’s got disastrous written all over it. McTommy is the best backup we have, Fred roams too much and VDB isn’t a holding player either.
I disagree that Fred, if told to play CDM will be any worse than McT. Probably he will be better than McT.

Don’t get me wrong I like McT and I’m sure he won’t be sold or loaned. I just happen to think that loaning him would be best for the player and best for us long term.

Otherwise he won’t be ready when Matic declines and we will end up buying someone. Again, at that point, buying someone might be best for the club but not best for McT.

As others have posted, he is raw. His passing is not good enough. I also think he lacks positional discipline. He has the basic talent but he lacks experience and he just won’t get enough of that here. You can still say he is useful back up and you won’t be wrong but he is an example of the drop in quality we suffer when our first 11 are not all available (or in form).

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
[
I don't rate Neville as a pundit but regarding this i agree with him. He said two years ago that he sees McT as central defender
I remember when he said it, and I got the impression that he was trying to be polite in saying that he’s not a very good midfielder. That was even before anyone thought McTominay was any good at all, and was playing in midfield unimpressively. At the time, he had featured at CB before, and I think Neville was just being kind in saying that perhaps defence will be better for him than this continued midfield thing.

It isn’t impossible though, the physical attributes are there at least. It would be something that would require a whole pre-season in reality, however, with so many actual centre halves needing games - it’s very unlikely.

sillwuka

What a lovely issue to have. I don't think he'll see a lot of first team action to begin with. But it's a long season and invariably we will see injuries, so he'll get his opportunity to contribute.
Exactly what i'm thinking, lets see how this season pans out and how many appearances he makes at the end of the season.

Idxomer

It's funny how off-season makes people forget the true level of some of our players.

McTominay will simply never be good enough as a holding midfielder, we have 3 or 4 players who could this job better than him.

Idxomer

We do? Who else?

1. Matic
2. Fred
3. Pogba
And maybe at a push VdB.

Notice I don't rate him at all in this position. His best role comes higher up the pitch as a disruptor or part of a very compact midfield against top opposition. The way he was used after lockdown isn't very helpful to either him or the team.

Untd55

You can't have a player in the team that cannot pass. His passing is woeful; not average, woeful. The number of passes he completes on average is a lot lower than our other midfielders, yet he has a lower pass completion percentage.

Rightfully, he fell down the pecking order. Bottom of the pile where he belongs. With De Beek added, it just reduces the number of chances he will get. If we weren't so clingy to average players, I would say he would be shown the door next season.

I always thought the Fred/McTominay comparisons were a bit of a joke. Fred is on another level to him in all areas aside from heading and being big.

acnumber9

You can't have a player in the team that cannot pass. His passing is woeful; not average, woeful. The number of passes he completes on average is a lot lower than our other midfielders, yet he has a lower pass completion percentage.

Rightfully, he fell down the pecking order. Bottom of the pile where he belongs. With De Beek added, it just reduces the number of chances he will get. If we weren't so clingy to average players, I would say he would be shown the door next season.

I always thought the Fred/McTominay comparisons were a bit of a joke. Fred is on another level to him in all areas aside from heading and being big.
Or scoring goals, or not giving the ball away in front of our penalty area.

Untd55

Or scoring goals, or not giving the ball away in front of our penalty area.
You do know Fred gives the ball away less than any midfielder in our team? I don't where people get this idea that he gives away the ball so much. People seem to only remember when certain players do it.

McTominay usually plays further up the pitch, also, giving him more opportunity to attack. Fred is usually the deepest lying midfielder.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It's funny how off-season makes people forget the true level of some of our players.

McTominay will simply never be good enough as a holding midfielder, we have 3 or 4 players who could this job better than him.
I don't get it either. McT can't be dmc. That is position where he is just awful. Not calm on the ball, no creativity, bad in positioning etc...
Only position where he could be good is defender in 352 formation.

Web of Bissaka

2-Fred (by a distance in my opinion)
2. Fred
3. Pogba
And maybe at a push VdB.

Notice I don't rate him at all in this position. His best role comes higher up the pitch as a disruptor or part of a very compact midfield against top opposition. The way he was used after lockdown isn't very helpful to either him or the team.
Fair enough.

Holding midfield role is really difficult since it's a solo job usually (rarely a team having two holding midfielders at the same time), need good discipline and positioning sense to maintain the shape/structure of the midfield, as does making sure providing good safest defense. Mainly those key responsibilities is what define holding midfielder (the other responsibilities are mixed with other type of midfield roles), so I don't think Fred and Pogba can perform the holding midfield role better.

Matic is definitely the best of course, then for me it's McT 2nd best strictly at holding. He performed differently according to the roles he is assigned. Would put Pogba as 3rd as he can be very discipline sometimes and risk averse compare to Fred who is almost always roaming, not suitable at all in holding. Can't say much about VDB, not enough games to judge better.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Fair enough.

Holding midfield role is really difficult since it's a solo job usually (rarely a team having two holding midfielders at the same time), need good discipline and positioning sense to maintain the shape/structure of the midfield, as does making sure providing good safest defense. Mainly those key responsibilities is what define holding midfielder (the other responsibilities are mixed with other type of midfield roles), so I don't think Fred and Pogba can perform the holding midfield role better.

Matic is definitely the best of course, then for me it's McT 2nd best strictly at holding. He performed differently according to the roles he is assigned. Would put Pogba as 3rd as he can be very discipline sometimes and risk averse compare to Fred who is almost always risks-taking, not suitable at all in holding. Can't say much about VDB, not enough games to judge better.
How you can put McT in front of Fred in dmc position? Or any position in midfield? Midfielder who struggles with the ball you see on position from where all attacks start

acnumber9

You do know Fred gives the ball away less than any midfielder in our team? I don't where people get this idea that he gives away the ball so much. People seem to only remember when certain players do it.

McTominay usually plays further up the pitch, also, giving him more opportunity to attack. Fred is usually the deepest lying midfielder.
People remember it more when it’s right in front of our penalty area or when he’s just kicking the ball out of play. McTominay isn’t a great passer but neither is Fred. I would agree that McTominay doesn’t get on the ball enough, it’s one of the biggest problems with him playing in midfield. And I wouldn’t argue that he’s a great player. Neither of them are good enough to be starting regularly for us if we want to be any better than 4th or 5th best team in the league. I just believe that McTominay is a better back up.

In the Premier League Fred has had 57 shots in 46 games. He’s scored once. McTominay has had 46 in 58 games. He’s scored 6. They play the same position and McTominay is clearly a better goal scorer. Where do you get the idea that McTominay plays in a more advanced position? Fred should be fined every time he shoots. He’s fecking awful at it.

James Peril

I would not be surprised if he’s first in the team sheet against better teams next season. The kind of players we amateurs don’t appreciate in any formation, but I remember Sir Alex always coming up with a few knuckleballs when you least expected it. Injuries will happen and some will lose form, need of rest etc.

McTominay will never become a great player given his obvious lack of technical ability, but he will most likely always be content with a bit-part role in the team.

OrcaFat

He’s got some good qualities but his performances have been mostly underwhelming. As yet he doesn’t rank highly alongside “back up” midfielders in the past 20 or 30 years. I know some of these guys had runs in the team but I’m thinking of OShea, Phil Nev, Cleverly, Blackmore, Anderson, Kleberson, Djemba x2, Gibson... (must be others) Surely he has the potential to top that list but he’s already pushing 24.

tjb

The centre back trial can be a thing to be explored. Has the right attributes, just would need to get the tactical element right. It's something to think about

He'sRaldo

25 is the magic number where most people stop viewing a player as a youngster.

That means he has about a year to make drastic improvements and cement a proper place in the team, before people come to the realization he's not that young anymore.

Idxomer

25 is the magic number where most people stop viewing a player as a youngster.

That means he has about a year to make drastic improvements and cement a proper place in the team, before people come to the realization he's not that young anymore.
Except if SAF said they'll peak later then they're young forever.

TheRedHearted

I like him as a player but I can't see him having enough play time to play himself into some sort of form. Plus when the big game comes we have a better chance of winning it if we play Fred & Scott, but there is no way Pogba sits out a big game just for the sake of tactics and it might come back to bite us.
Also VDB seems to possess qualities similar to Scott's and improves on them even, so I can't see Scotty playing more or improving on this past season. Makes me sad cuz lad is a proper fighter and a leader.
Well let’s say one of our starting midfield players gets an injury then let’s say is Donnie that gets to start. Then the new starting players considering a starting midfield gets an injury for six weeks need to rest they can’t play every single game. Even that scenario of one injury gives him more than enough playing time. He’s young and technical enough that I don’t believe he needs a long run of games to get in to form.

MileStolar

Well let’s say one of our starting midfield players gets an injury then let’s say is Donnie that gets to start. Then the new starting players considering a starting midfield gets an injury for six weeks need to rest they can’t play every single game. Even that scenario of one injury gives him more than enough playing time. He’s young and technical enough that I don’t believe he needs a long run of games to get in to form.
I can see what you're saying but I can also see the slag he's going to get after few unimpressive performances. People aren't very patient these days but hopefully our management is.

TheRedHearted

I can see what you're saying but I can also see the slag he's going to get after few unimpressive performances. People aren't very patient these days but hopefully our management is.
I think he has proven himself to a great extent here. He’s also well liked by management. I don’t think the cafes opinion matters much to them in terms of a players mentality and their results

Champagne Football

Scott McTominay has reportedly been earmarked to become Manchester United's first-choice option in defensive midfield after the club failed in its pursuit of Jude Bellingham.

With a hole in defensive midfield and having missed out on Bellingham, United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will turn to McTominay, according to The Athletic .

The report adds Scotland international McTominay is accustomed to a holding role having played in such a capacity when he broke into United's team under former boss Jose Mourinho.

Matic is seen as the ideal mentor for the 23-year-old, who made 37 appearances last season across all competitions and scored five goals.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mctominay-man-utd-bellingham-transfer-22649927

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Scott McTominay has reportedly been earmarked to become Manchester United's first-choice option in defensive midfield after the club failed in its pursuit of Jude Bellingham.

With a hole in defensive midfield and having missed out on Bellingham, United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will turn to McTominay, according to The Athletic .

The report adds Scotland international McTominay is accustomed to a holding role having played in such a capacity when he broke into United's team under former boss Jose Mourinho.

Matic is seen as the ideal mentor for the 23-year-old, who made 37 appearances last season across all competitions and scored five goals.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mctominay-man-utd-bellingham-transfer-22649927
Christ I hope not.

Status
Not open for further replies.