5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

Have to agree. AWB getting all the stick from Gaz (and most of the caf) but at least he was doing something i.e. blocking the quick free kick. McT was rooted to the spot, doing absolutely nothing.
He didn't even sprint back afterwards. Just jogged, which made me want to tear my hair out. Wasn't the first instance either. If you are having a bad game at least put the effort in...

Ekeke

Each time he plays on the right of a diamond so far he ends up being so deep and contributing next to nothing in attack. He really hasnt got to grips with the position at all

DRM

I wouldn't mind Vdb to play alongside Fred. He's just as combative as Mctom and we know we can use the ball better

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Won’t win anything with him and Fred having to play together. Fred, Pogba or replacement of similar quality, Bruno maybe....but then it’s up to the manager to make it work and find a way that with Bruno so high up the pitch we aren’t left with a one man midfield. McT is not a great midfield, he’s a midfielder capable of having a great game now and then.

rooney2009

Had a bad game but I’m always confident when I see his name on the team sheet especially in big games
He is having a very good season so far

arthurka

Not a great game but he's still a good squad option. Has mixed performances. Need to see him add more consistency

When he drove with the ball and used his left and was so far away? I actually laughed at how bad that was
It was so bad it was hilarious.

OhGee

It’s baffling for me how an average British player who will struggle to make the starting 11 in any of the the top 5 teams across Europe’s major leagues always gets to play ahead of a much more skillful and talented Ajax academy graduate....

Banana Republic

I wouldn't mind Vdb to play alongside Fred. He's just as combative as Mctom and we know we can use the ball better
Donny VdB is not and never has been a DM.
Put him in that role alongside Fred and strong midfield opposition will steamroller right through us, like they were doing with Pogba in that role.
Despite Fred‘s high work rate and willingness to win the ball and stop the opposition, he’s physically small and very weak, with stronger players just brushing him aside on far too many occasions.
Donny can tackle, but he’s not the most physically strong player.

Josh 76

Said it many times before. Mctomminy is the type of player to play when your an under dog, and simple things like a tackle or two is magnified into something out of this world, yet the same tackles against 90% of teams is just seen as standard.

Still a good squad option to have.

RuudtheRed

Had a poor game and his passing was poor. Doesn't mean he's a sh*t player - he's shown enough for us to see that there's a good player in there.

Just as we shouldn't get carried away by his storming performance against Leeds, we shouldn't start labelling him as sh*t and useless on the back of this game. It's not like he's already in his peak years.

DRM

Donny VdB is not and never has been a DM.
Put him in that role alongside Fred and strong midfield opposition will steamroller right through us, like they were doing with Pogba in that role.
Despite Fred‘s high work rate and willingness to win the ball and stop the opposition, he’s physically small and very weak, with stronger players just brushing him aside on far too many occasions.
Donny can tackle, but he’s not the most physically strong player.
He wouldn't been damn quicker than Mctominay in closing down greilish for villas goal

POF

Each time he plays on the right of a diamond so far he ends up being so deep and contributing next to nothing in attack. He really hasnt got to grips with the position at all
You know why that is? Because he didn't play on the right side of a diamond.

It’s baffling for me how an average British player who will struggle to make the starting 11 in any of the the top 5 teams across Europe’s major leagues always gets to play ahead of a much more skillful and talented Ajax academy graduate....
It's not really. United play with very offensive wingers who do very little defensively. The midfield is wide open without the energy that McTominay and Fred gives the team.

Ekeke

You know why that is? Because he didn't play on the right side of a diamond.

It's not really. United play with very offensive wingers who do very little defensively. The midfield is wide open without the energy that McTominay and Fred gives the team.
Thats the problem. Our other 3 midfielders did, he was the one who didnt get the memo

POF

Thats the problem. Our other 3 midfielders did, he was the one who didnt get the memo
No they didn't. It was a 4-2-3-1.

McTominay and Fred played in a 2 with Rashford, Bruno and Pogba in a 3 behind Martial.

Stacks

He’ll continue to dine out on the odd barn storming performance but we need a better starting midfielder. For a defensive midfielder he is awful at defending in front of our penalty box. Doesn’t get on the ball enough as a midfielder outside of that.
He won't be eating off me. I know who he really is.
Played the game of his life versus Leedsbut has returned to McAverage standards; don’t want to see him mentioned in the same breath as Sir Darren Fletcher again.
It will happen again the very next time he is on a pro evolution red arrow which may be 3 months from now.
Frustrating! Really like the guy and his physicality but that’s not enough for united.

Let’s hope he can find his Leeds form again.
It wasn't form. He was on a red arrow for one game in 2020. This is more his common level.
He’s gone missing last couple games, bit concerning after his quality game against Leeds
You shouldn't be concerned as that was never his standard. I am not concerned as I don't have any high expectations. He is a squad player with uses in some games but currently he is playing because Ole doesn't trust our defence whilst Matic cannot play extended periods.

KennyBurner

His biggest problem is his first touch more than his passing. A team like ours needs midfielders that can turn quickly under pressure. Fred's passing is already erratic we dont need an even worse partner.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Oh generalisations are always great, aren’t they? The average British player has mostly convinced more when he has played than the talented Ajax academy graduate. When we hopefully buy a good DM, it will be the DM, Bruno and one more player in the midfield. So far VdB has shown nothing to be that player, this has nothing to do with McT. Maybe VdB can be that player in 1-2 years or maybe that’s even Ole’s long term plan, but right now McT and Fred are rightly ahead of him.

Ekeke

It's one thing not to see it during the game (although it was obvious Fred and McT played on the same line) but a whole other thing not to check the data after the game... https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...eague-2020-2021-Manchester-United-Aston-Villa

Look at the heatmaps
Yes look at it. Pogba, Fernandes and Fred in 3 of the 4 diamond positions, McTominay leaving the right side open and us lopsided, with split strikers wider than the diamond

https://i.gyazo.com/4212e9cd12f1317d648541dd3a3cecda.png

georgipep

Yes look at it. Pogba, Fernandes and Fred in 3 of the 4 diamond positions, McTominay leaving the right side open and us lopsided, with split strikers wider than the diamond

https://i.gyazo.com/4212e9cd12f1317d648541dd3a3cecda.png
I don't know if you wumming or just plain stubborn. Regardless, as I said, look at the heatmaps.
This is Fred's:

And this is McT's:

I don't know about you but it seems pretty obvious to me that they spend the majority of their time more or less on the same line. Also, for anyone who watched the game, it was clear that McT was tasked to mark Grealish.

Well, I'll be damned....what do you know? That spot where McT spent a lot of time? That's exactly where Grealish spent the majority of his time too....

Now, that may be a coincidence or we may be sentient beings and admit that McT was playing in a midfield two with Fred and was personally marking Grealish.

Ekeke

I don't know if you wumming or just plain stubborn. Regardless, as I said, look at the heatmaps.
This is Fred's:

And this is McT's:

I don't know about you but it seems pretty obvious to me that they spend the majority of their time more or less on the same line. Also, for anyone who watched the game, it was clear that McT was tasked to mark Grealish.

Well, I'll be damned....what do you know? That spot where McT spent a lot of time? That's exactly where Grealish spent the majority of his time too....

Now, that may be a coincidence or we may be sentient beings and admit that McT was playing in a midfield two with Fred and was personally marking Grealish.
I dont know if you're stupid in general or you just can't do math

Now which formation has no left winger and pushes the fullback forward to offer width down the sides? Which formation has 3 of our 4 midfielders in perfect position for a diamond from their average positions and one player who is not like the others? The one midfielder who didnt play well

Oh thats right, a diamond with split strikers who help by coming wide

justsomebloke

Come on, have everyone forgotten how good he was against Leeds? If anything, he's solidified his position in the squad this season. He didn't have a good game yesterday, but he is not a bad player.

SAFMUTD

How can he play as great as in the Leeds game and as poor as yesterday?

I don't understand how VDB doesn't get minutes.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner

Won 0 of 8 duels and 12 possession losses. He was even worse than I remember.

Andersons Dietician

He’s made quite a few big errors of late in judgment but yesterday he was pretty diabolical with his passing. Wasn’t surprised to see him hooked off. I really can’t decide what to make of him. I’m not sure he is a solution and we could probably upgrade him but then I think he’d still be a fantastic squad player.

zenith

I think he's still carrying his injury, because such a drop off in form is difficult to explain. If anything, he should have been high on confidence

justsomebloke

Won 0 of 8 duels and 12 possession losses. He was even worse than I remember.
That is atrocious. On the other hand, the rating source you're quoting (Sofascore) gives him the second highest rating on the team (behind only Bruno) for the season as a whole. Bad form rather than bad player.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Now which formation has no left winger and pushes the fullback forward to offer width down the sides? Which formation has 3 of our 4 midfielders in perfect position for a diamond from their average positions and one player who is not like the others? The one midfielder who didnt play well

We didn’t exactly play diamond to be honest, we were changing our shape constantly, defensively it was more like traditional 442 with Pogba on the left and Rashford on the right. In the match Fred & Scott played like how they usually play in double pivot, so offensively was 4231 while Pogba played like how Mata normally plays wide by getting freedom to roam everywhere to be narrower to help the midfield.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's had a very strange time since the lockdown, he seems to only deal in barnstormers or shockers and not much in just fairly average games where he keeps it tight. Don't know if he's still carrying a knock maybe because he fecked everything right up yesterday.

georgipep

Ok, going by your logic (and I disagree wholeheartedly that average positions indicate tactical setup), then what system did we play in this game?

2-1-6-1 with a flat midfield?

You either want to look deeper into how tactics work, or you don't. Either options are fine with me.

In the average positions against Villa, Rashford is on the same level with Bruno. Then was he part of midfield? Was he a right winger? What exactly?

I provided all the context you need to understand why McT's position is deeper. You have chosen to ignore it, showing your stubborness (among other things) along the way.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I was hoping the Leeds game would end up being the springboard to his season, but he has been poor since. Not sure if he's due to fitness or what, but he needs to step big time. He's passing was never his strong point, but you overlooked it because he worked hard and put in good tackles, but we're not even getting that from him.

It's a concern for me, Matic is a good player, but in some games you need Mctominay's energy and physicality

POF

Pogba was almost as central as Fernandes. He was left of a diamond
He wasn't. The heatmap is deceptive because Pogba and Bruno interchanged positions at various points of the game. Early in the second half Bruno played on the left with Pogba as the 10. They do the same when Donny plays one of the wide positions.

But just look at the shape at any point during the game, especially defensively after a stoppage. It was a 4-2-3-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.