Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
The 3 at the back gave him more license to play his natural game. It’s probably the best we can do with what we have to look solid and defend well right now.
Yeah you are right. Definitely had a bit more license thanks to the extra CB.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The disparity between Scott's top level and his worst is enormous. If he could consistently be at his top level, like today, and the 6-1 vs Leeds, he'd be unstoppable.

NZT-One

The disparity between Scott's top level and his worst is enormous. If he could consistently be at his top level, like today, and the 6-1 vs Leeds, he'd be unstoppable.
Funny coincidence that both of these opponents were really really weak. Even though I don't even get much of the praise today. He was good. Excellent compared to his recent performances. But in absolute values, it was just good.

The United

As good as he is today, his ball controlling, first touch and long passes need huge improvement.

If we have a prime Carrick or Matic in this position, we will be pretty good. Well, it is obvious but just hoping we can get a CM like them in the very near future.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Funny coincidence that both of these opponents were really really weak. Even though I don't even get much of the praise today. He was good. Excellent compared to his recent performances. But in absolute values, it was just good.
Leeds were a decent team last season. They're definitely worse this season, but even though we put 6 past them last season, they were still getting a lot of praise from that game.

(Also, I got the score wrong, it was 6-2).

LJJT

Played great today, some fantastic passing. Bit more space for him in this system and I think it suited him and Fred better.

LJJT

As good as he is today, his ball controlling, first touch and long passes need huge improvement.

If we have a prime Carrick or Matic in this position, we will be pretty good. Well, it is obvious but just hoping we can get a CM like them in the very near future.
Wow. Long passing? Played some great switch balls out to Shaw

NZT-One

Leeds were a decent team last season. They're definitely worse this season, but even though we put 6 past them last season, they were still getting a lot of praise from that game.

(Also, I got the score wrong, it was 6-2).
Oh yes you are right. They WERE last season. But even last season we stuffed them because their style of play suits us pretty well (plus Bielsa is so stubborn that he doesn't change approach even when being stuffed). Have a look at their pre-season, this will give you a feeling about their form at the start of the season. That isn't me trying to downplay that victory or performance. It is just putting it in context.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Oh yes you are right. They WERE last season. But even last season we stuffed them because their style of play suits us pretty well (plus Bielsa is so stubborn that he doesn't change approach even when being stuffed). Have a look at their pre-season, this will give you a feeling about their form at the start of the season. That isn't me trying to downplay that victory or performance. It is just putting it in context.
Oh yeah, their pre-season was awful, I noticed that going in to our opening game with them. And so far they have 1 win from 9. 2nd season syndrome is hitting them hard. One of the few positives of this PL season so far.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
His passing - long and short - is perfectly adequate for the position he should be playing in, which is as a box to box #8. Scott has all the attributes to excel in that role, whilst lacking crucial ones to play as the 'quarterback' or #6. A midfield trio of Bruno, McTominay and a Carrick-esque #6 would be really well balanced, and we would see the best out of him (and probably others).

dutchred

His passing - long and short - is perfectly adequate for the position he should be playing in, which is as a box to box #8. Scott has all the attributes to excel in that role, whilst lacking crucial ones to play as the 'quarterback' or #6. A midfield trio of Bruno, McTominay and a Carrick-esque #6 would be really well balanced, and we would see the best out of him (and probably others).
would love to see a midfield 3 of Mejbri, Galbraith and Shoretire

CloneMC16

Very good today. That's easily the best he's played since Leeds at the start of the season. He's had a lot of poor games, and I'm not his biggest fan, but you have to give credit when it's due. I hope he plays like that more often.

LJJT

He was man of the fecking match. If you can’t see it it’s obvious you don’t like it. Great performance, great victory. Oles at the wheel

RuudTom83

I like him, but he can’t play to a high standard 3 times a week, he should be rotated until he learns to be consistent.

Good game today tho! which means he’ll be bang average on Wednesday if he plays.

Happy for Scott to prove me wrong tho! :)

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Great performance today
The formation suited Scotty and the team.
Spot on!

Roboc7

He was very fortunate not to be dropped but had his best game in a long time. He can’t perform week in week out but in tight games and in right system can be very effective. The biggest problem is Ole thinks Mctominay is better than he is and asks him to do things he isn’t capable of doing.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Great performance today
The formation suited Scotty and the team. Good shape to the team today.
Throwing a load of forwards and two 'holding midfielders' doesn't work,
leaves the midfielders exposed.

Guapa

Thought he was the difference for us today.Looked composed and confident on the ball when under pressure.Had the confidence to step out of trouble when pressed and come away with the ball and stride forward instead of an easy backward or sideways pass.Really good from him today,gave the team a more composed look in midfield.

SER19

Mctominays form seems to go something like this

5 5 5 4 5 8 5 2 8 5 4 4 5 9

The odd huge performance among serious mediocrity. I like him but it needs to be more regular

diarm

I can't believe he's reached this level with his touch. It's 50/50 whether or not it cannons off his foot.
You say that, but people would have you believe Lukaku is world class and he has the first touch of a trampoline.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I’m not usually one for suggesting weird positional changes and this’ll probably be deservedly laughed at, but I was wondering how he might fare as the right wing-back in this 5-3-2 formation. He has the engine to cover the flank, can whip in good crosses, and bomb past opponents when he wants to.

AFC NimbleThumb

Time to extrapolate this performance over the dross he more often serves up. He was good today but the fact we’ve needed to bring in a 3rd CB for us to keep a clean sheet tells me more than him dominating Oliver Skipp.

EtH

I can't believe he's reached this level with his touch. It's 50/50 whether or not it cannons off his foot.
I was hoping against hope he’d kick on but he is erratic at best in every aspect. When today is classed as a good performance by most you know standards have really dropped for him.

Last edited:

podurban2

Time to extrapolate this performance over the dross he more often serves up. He was good today but the fact we’ve needed to bring in a 3rd CB for us to keep a clean sheet tells me more than him dominating Oliver Skipp.
Not to defend Scott, but as if our conceded goals haven’t been the product of Fred, Maguire, Shaw, etc…

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Good man. God forbid you should come out with a compliment without immediately qualifying it with a reason to be negative. Let's just leave it at he played well today, no?

AFC NimbleThumb

Not to defend Scott, but as if our conceded goals haven’t been the product of Fred, Maguire, Shaw, etc…
Oh believe me, I hold them accountable but this is the McT thread.
Good man. God forbid you should come out with a compliment without immediately qualifying it with a reason to be negative. Let's just leave it at he played well today, no?
Not qualifying it all - I said what I said. He played well [by his standards - qualifier?], the fact we added a 3rd CB isn’t irrelevant.

This forum has a habit of talking up his good performances as if they live in a silo apart from his regular standards, they do not.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Oh believe me, I hold them accountable but this is the McT thread.

Not qualifying it all - I said what I said. He played well [by his standards - qualifier?], the fact we added a 3rd CB isn’t irrelevant.

This forum has a habit of talking up his good performances as if they live in a silo apart from his regular standards, they do not.
Well look, everything else on your post qualified the compliment. You see what you want to see on this forum. If you feel that he doesn't get the stick he deserves in here, we're reading different threads. 100% he's been poor this season, as have Fred, Shaw, Maguire and many others. He was good today. I prefer to just leave it at that and see if he can build on it during the week.

AFC NimbleThumb

Well look, everything else on your post qualified the compliment. You see what you want to see on this forum. If you feel that he doesn't get the stick he deserves in here, we're reading different threads. 100% he's been poor this season, as have Fred, Shaw, Maguire and many others. He was good today. I prefer to just leave it at that and see if he can build on it during the week.
Saying he played well against this Spurs outfit isn’t particularly a ‘compliment’, but if you want to get into a debate of semantics so be it. He played well, the team was changed to 3 CBs in order for him to do so. If you think that’s me qualifying my first point then fine.

Read the rest of my post, I mention I hold the 3 other ‘undroppables’, despite horrible form, accountable.

As for reading different threads, that may well be the case. I never said he deserves ‘stick’, we’re moving off the topic here.

Aouer-United

He was much better against Spurs than all of his game this season but this is not enough. Always take a while to turn around. He'd just sprint if two players try to press him and get fouled because this is all he can do because he can't control the ball at his feet and could not escape tight space and don't have the ability to pass with weak feet.

Deery

Dreary
Thought he was brilliant yesterday the formation really suits him..

Bobade

Yup. That's the area he needs to improve the most.
How far can you actually improve that at his age though? This is a genuine question. It seems like it is such a fundamental part of football that if you have a poor touch as a professional in your 20s, you'll have a poor touch forever.

Marwood

It's a question of consistency for Scott. If he can play like that every week and we get a passer next to him it might be enough.

Problem is his performanced are swinging from a 4 to an 8 far too much.

finneh

He's a far, far more consistently good player in the 8 position. Great performance yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.