Squad Number: #39
Contract Until: Jun 30, 2025
Contract Option: Club option 1 year
Date of Last Contract Extension: Jun 23, 2020
Outfitter: Nike​

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Solid performance from Scott vs Real Madrid.
Best of our midfielders tonight, comfortably.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Full credit to him, was good today. If he played like that more often he'd be a great option in the squad. Unfortunately history tells us that we'll be lucky to get one month a season where he performs in a similar way. Go on Scott, prove me wrong.

Hopefully the injury isn't serious. Whether we want to sell him or keep him, we certainly didn't want to see him go down like that at the end.

Scholsey2004

Full credit to him, was good today. If he played like that more often he'd be a great option in the squad. Unfortunately history tells us that we'll be lucky to get one month a season where he performs in a similar way. Go on Scott, prove me wrong.

Hopefully the injury isn't serious. Whether we want to sell him or keep him, we certainly didn't want to see him go down like that at the end.
Looked like a knee injury to me. He was down a long time which is uncharacteristic and looked in a lot of pain.

Walters_19_MuFc

Thought he was really good against Arsenal, and the same against Real Madrid. His ability to drive with the ball is an attribute none of our other midfielders possess. Absolutely eats up the ground when in full flow.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That run he made against Real is probably the best thing I've ever seen him do. If that was a typical trait there'd be no way I'd sell him. He definitely did Murtough and co. a favour by his performance. He'll be a very good player for West Ham or equivalent. As someone said, 40m is 20m a couple of years ago.

Scholsey2004

Thought he was really good against Arsenal, and the same against Real Madrid. His ability to drive with the ball is an attribute none of our other midfielders possess. Absolutely eats up the ground when in full flow.
Yeah, he's very good at that. Its the kind of thing that low block counter attacking teams can really utilise. A team that wants to dominate possession high up the pitch (ie City) would have collectively better technicians in the midfield and full back positions so wouldnt really need that and high up the pitch theres no space to do it anyway. Obviously Ten Hag wants us to control possession so McTominay's likely to be somewhat marginalised here if things go the way we're hoping.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yeah, he's very good at that. Its the kind of thing that low block counter attacking teams can really utilise. A team that wants to dominate possession high up the pitch (ie City) would have collectively better technicians in the midfield and full back positions so wouldnt really need that and high up the pitch theres no space to do it anyway. Obviously Ten Hag wants us to control possession so McTominay's likely to be somewhat marginalised here if things go the way we're hoping.
I would keep McTominay, but assuming West Ham do want him, the type of style they play could compliment him, where, as you said, he could utilize his powerful runs to counter attack effectively.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

And the fact we didn't accept the offer must also mean something.
What exactly God knows as he’s about 6th choice now. If he was actually any good other teams would be all over him like a rash. Telling how far standards have dropped here that we still keep him around.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
£45m player they say .. shouldve snapped west hams arm off at £30m!!
Jesus christ - the man came on for literally 15 minutes when were on the backfoot. He made 100% of his passes (all 2 of them!) and did well to block a shot.

Last edited:

Sylar

Reckon with mainoo out, we won't sell him unless it's really worth it (and allows us to bring a late arrival which would command a similar fee)

MasterDarcy

What exactly God knows as he’s about 6th choice now. If he was actually any good other teams would be all over him like a rash. Telling how far standards have dropped here that we still keep him around.
And what exactly did Bruno do? With his 77% pass success rate. Mount with his whole 17 passes in 68 minutes and Casemiro with his 82% pass success rate?

That central midfielders got dominated with relegation candidates Wolves.

Using yesterday to have a go at McTominay and decry our "standards" is quite a reach.

McTominay has rarely played in his best position at Manchester United. I'd actually go as far to say that McTominay is the only real box-to-box midfielder we have.

Cue the "McTominay hides from the ball" aka "I can't think for myself".

McTominay might not be Robson but Is Casemiro Keane? Is Eriksen Ince? Is Mount Scholes?

If anything, the Wolves match demonstrated that Scott McTominay isn't the problem.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

And what exactly did Bruno do? With his 77% pass success rate. Mount with his whole 17 passes in 68 minutes and Casemiro with his 82% pass success rate?

That central midfielders got dominated with relegation candidates Wolves.

Using yesterday to have a go at McTominay and decry our "standards" is quite a reach.

McTominay has rarely played in his best position at Manchester United. I'd actually go as far to say that McTominay is the only real box-to-box midfielder we have.

McTominay might not be Robson but Is Casemiro Keane? Is Eriksen Ince? Is Mount Scholes?

If anything, the Wolves match demonstrated that Scott McTominay isn't the problem.
Hardly the guy has played, what over 200 times for the first team? I’ve seen plenty of him to know he’s bang average at best and very poor a lot of the time. Yeah standards have dropped alot if people like you think he’s good enough to be a Manchester United central midfielder. As I said before if he was anything like half a good as you and some of his other fan boys suggest someone would have come in and snapped him up. Even Moyes it seems wasn’t prepared to pay more than £30m for him and in today’s inflated market and that’s been the extent of the interest in him. But hey if only he was played in he best position - which there are a variety of opinions on and no one can agree on including his various managers - all would be well with him.

MadDogg

Not sure what you mean by this. Surely there isn't any doubt that, whether deliberately or because of inability, McTominay is constantly making himself impossible to pass to, taking himself out of the game when we have possession.

There's a reason why McTominay was last choice in his supposed 'best position' last season. Other than being a decent goal scorer and the ability to make a couple of charging runs a game, what else gives people the idea that he'll suddenly do so much better there? It was always fairly obvious that Fred was being played out of position as all his strengths suited that higher role and the deeper position highlighted his weaknesses, but I really don't get the same sense with Scott. His limitations are huge weaknesses no matter what midfield position he's in. Sure he'll have a rare game here and there where it comes together (like that Leeds match), but the vast majority of the time he'll just coast through a match without making any real positive impact on the team.

MasterDarcy

Hardly the guy has played, what over 200 times for the first team? I’ve seen plenty of him to know he’s bang average at best and very poor a lot of the time. Yeah standards have dropped alot if people like you think he’s good enough to be a Manchester United central midfielder. As I said before if he was anything like half a good as you and some of his other fan boys suggest someone would have come in and snapped him up. Even Moyes it seems wasn’t prepared to pay more than £30m for him and in today’s inflated market and that’s been the extent of the interest in him. But hey if only he was played in he best position - which there are a variety of opinions on and no one can agree on including his various managers - all would be well with him.
He's played what, two games in the no 8 position and terrorised Leeds twice.

If Bruno played 200 games as an anchorman do you think he would've thrived? How many teams would've been in for him if he was

I've seen him enough times in best position to know what he can do.

£30? The way that some United talk he isn't worth £3.

MasterDarcy

Not sure what you mean by this. Surely there isn't any doubt that, whether deliberately or because of inability, McTominay is constantly making himself impossible to pass to, taking himself out of the game when we have possession.

There's a reason why McTominay was last choice in his supposed 'best position' last season. Other than being a decent goal scorer and the ability to make a couple of charging runs a game, what else gives people the idea that he'll suddenly do so much better there? It was always fairly obvious that Fred was being played out of position as all his strengths suited that higher role and the deeper position highlighted his weaknesses, but I really don't get the same sense with Scott. His limitations are huge weaknesses no matter what midfield position he's in. Sure he'll have a rare game here and there where it comes together (like that Leeds match), but the vast majority of the time he'll just coast through a match without making any real positive impact on the team.
Here are the stats that prove the aforementioned to be total made up bs:

Eriksen: 22/23 season: 28 matches - 60.6 touches per match.

McTominay: 21/22: season: 30 matches - 56.7 per match. 3.9 less touches per match totally debunks the "hiding from the ball line.

Do know what counter pressing is?

if Player A has the ball. In order to stop Player B from closing down Player A, you'd need Player C to mark Player B.

Let's pretend for a moment that professional footballers know more about football tactics than the general fan.

If people don't like McTominay that's completely fine. What is not fine, however, is making up stuff, particularly when thd stays don't back up the lie.

Don't pretend that EtH is infallible. He's spent a fortune on Casemiro, Anthony and Mount and you could say that it's hardly improved the midfield.

I've seen him McTominay dominate the Norway midfield and hold his own against Spain (including scoring twice).

United are threadbare when it comes to central midfielders. If Mount plays there, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

MadDogg

McTominay: 21/22: season: 30 matches - 56.7 per match. 3.9 less touches per match totally debunks the "hiding from the ball line.

if Player A has the ball. In order to stop Player B from closing down Player A, you'd need Player C to mark Player B.

Let's pretend for a moment that professional footballers know more about football tactics than the general fan.

If people don't like McTominay that's completely fine. What is not fine, however, is making up stuff, particularly when thd stays don't back up the lie.

Don't pretend that EtH is infallible. He's spent a fortune on Casemiro, Anthony and Mount and you could say that it's hardly improved the midfield.

I've seen him McTominay dominate the Norway midfield and hold his own against Spain (including scoring twice).

United are threadbare when it comes to central midfielders. If Mount plays there, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
I'm curious where you got those stats from. FBRef (which tends to be the most comprehensive stat site available to the general public) has very different.

Over the last 365 days (so basically the 22/23 season in the league and Europe combined):
Casemrio: 76.98 touches per 90 minutes
Eriksen: 74.46
Fred: 68.40
Bruno: 65.73
Sabitzer: 54.11 (in the PL only)
McTominay: 50.46

So even Sabitzer, somebody who also was getting many criticisms (and rightfully so) for barely getting involved, was getting on the ball more often than Scott. Otherwise he's getting on the ball about 35% less than Casemiro (the most direct comparison since they were mostly playing in the same position) and Eriksen, and about 25% less than Fred and Bruno.

21/22 PL season
Matic: 79.12
Fred: 72.03
Pogba: 71.92
Bruno: 70.73
McTominay: 59.76
VDB: 58.39

20/21 PL season
Matic: 92.52
Fred: 79.95
Bruno: 78.70
Pogba: 77.81
McTominay: 67.76
VDB: 59.26

19/20 PL Season
Pogba: 87.83
Fred: 85.67
Matic: 81.80
Bruno: 76.34
McTominay: 65.67

So Scott consistently has significantly less touches of the ball than our other midfielders, beating only VDB who gets even more criticism for being completely invisible. Averaging out over the seasons that they played together (obviously not perfect since they played different amount of games in different seasons but it gives a rough idea), he's on the ball 21% less than Fred, 24% less than Matic, 19% less than Pogba and 17% less than Bruno. With the differences being even larger last season. There are quite often games where he has about half the amount of touches as his midfield partner, with one game in 21/22 where he was almost a third of what Fred had.

Scott consistently moves around in an opposition players cover shadow (a seemingly new term for something that is perfect to describe what Scott does). It's nothing to do with marking that opposition player, in fact it's the exact opposite. He's going out of his way (either deliberately or not) to allow the opposition player to take him out of the game.

Firstly, that's not what counter pressing is. Counter-pressing is a strategy to disrupt the opposition as soon as you yourself lose the ball, quickly winning it back again before they have a chance to do anything with it.

Secondly, that doesn't even make sense. The way to stop Player B from closing down Player A is for Player C to make themselves available to pass to. Standing a few metres behind an opposition player does nothing to stop them closing down the player on the ball.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

He's played what, two games in the no 8 position and terrorised Leeds twice.

If Bruno played 200 games as an anchorman do you think he would've thrived? How many teams would've been in for him if he was

I've seen him enough times in best position to know what he can do.

£30? The way that some United talk he isn't worth £3.
This again. Two decent games against a team as poor as Leeds means nothing when set against all the other mediocre performances he has in the rest of a season. And if he’s so useful as you seem to be trying to suggest how come there is literally zero interest in him apart from that dinosaur Moyes? And he would only offer £30m and seemingly no more.

OrcaFat

I’m afraid that post sounds like complete gibberish. There are games where McT makes only about twenty successful passes. He is not suited to a team with ambition to retain possession or control of the midfield.

He’s a game lad but very limited. He’s also tall which I’ve heard is keeping him in favour as an option.

fps

I’d be very happy having McTominay as a squad option. He’s United through and through, has legs, will give it his all, and has good touch and takes responsibility on the pitch.

GMoore23

I’d be very happy having McTominay as a squad option. He’s United through and through, has legs, will give it his all, and has good touch and takes responsibility on the pitch.
I hope that's a joke. He regularly hides behind opposition players to avoid taking responsibility.
Fred was a better player and actually showed for the ball at every opportunity.

Idxomer

He does have legs, I will give you that but none of the other stuff has any basis in reality.

MasterDarcy

I’m afraid that post sounds like complete gibberish. There are games where McT makes only about twenty successful passes. He is not suited to a team with ambition to retain possession or control of the midfield.

He’s a game lad but very limited. He’s also tall which I’ve heard is keeping him in favour as an option.
No. Those are statistics that prove the "Scott McTominay hides from the ball" are spreading lies and misinformation.

That's the topic here. Not about the progression ability of his passing. A section of Manchester United fans state as fact that Scott McTominay hides from the ball.

That statement in itself is gibberish. The EPL is the best league in the world. EtH is one of the best managers in the world. Does anyone, for a split second, think that of one of his players actively shied away from the football Erik wouldn't zone in on it?

And what you just said about "20 successful passes a match". How about us paying £55m for Mount, a player who completed 17 successful passes against Wolves?

Play Bruno a number 6. Let's see how many touches of the ball and successful passes he makes.

OrcaFat

No. Those are statistics that prove the "Scott McTominay hides from the ball" are spreading lies and misinformation.

That's the topic here. Not about the progression ability of his passing. A section of Manchester United fans state as fact that Scott McTominay hides from the ball.

That statement in itself is gibberish. The EPL is the best league in the world. EtH is one of the best managers in the world. Does anyone, for a split second, think that of one of his players actively shied away from the football Erik wouldn't zone in on it?

And what you just said about "20 successful passes a match". How about us paying £55m for Mount, a player who completed 17 successful passes against Wolves?

Play Bruno a number 6. Let's see how many touches of the ball and successful passes he makes.
He doesn’t make himself available for passes. Just watch him. Don’t rely on stats. The ones you quoted don’t show that he doesn’t hide; they simply show that he touches the ball. Most of that will be attempting tackles and picking up loose balls.

I expect more passes from our midfielders; I’m not sure there’s any point in suggesting we have players who are even worse, even if it were remotely true (although we were all a bit shit vs Wolves).

MasterDarcy

He doesn’t make himself available for passes. Just watch him. Don’t rely on stats. The ones you quoted don’t show that he doesn’t hide; they simply show that he touches the ball. Most of that will be attempting tackles and picking up loose balls.

I expect more passes from our midfielders; I’m not sure there’s any point in suggesting we have players who are even worse, even if it were remotely true (although we were all a bit shit vs Wolves).
Doesn't being on the physical diameter of the football pitch "make yourself available for the ball"?

The way that some people talk it's like he sneaks onto the bench when no one is looking.

Fine, he doesn't actively hunt down the ball. Does Mount? Does Casemiro? Does Erikson? Not from what I've seen.

I'll reiterate. The EPL is the best and most challenging league in the world. We have coaches who know their stuff. Players are chipped up and there's statistics for everything.

If one of our players was hiding from the ball, they'd be training with the kids.

People saying that he hides from the ball is bizarre and it just demonstrates mass hysteria and how a lie can be considered the truth if enough people cite it.

Watch England play. Rice doesn't come hunting for the ball from his team mates. No England midfielder does.

sammyhol

I think the truth is somewhere in between…

does he actively hide from spaces where can receive the ball on the half turn?…. For me, no.

does he lack the special awareness and instincts that a proper “regista” CM should have, and therefore very rarely finds pockets to receive the ball in? 100% yes.

massey

Agreed with you I've watched enough games of him and noticed it very early on he does hide from the ball and wonders around in places no one can pass to him from at the back it's a joke tbh and one of the reasons he should be sold if he's not played further forward a place we are well stacked in anyway,there's even videos of him highlighting this problem.

OrcaFat

I think the truth is somewhere in between…

does he actively hide from spaces where can receive the ball on the half turn?…. For me, no.

does he lack the special awareness and instincts that a proper “regista” CM should have, and therefore very rarely finds pockets to receive the ball in? 100% yes.
Yeah, I don’t know if I’d accuse him of actively hiding because he’s scared or something like that. He may lack a bit of confidence receiving the ball. He lacks the normal ability of a normal CM to get into the right positions. He is nowhere close to demanding the ball and actively engaging in possession play.

Most of us have been rooting for him for about five years. If you ever saw any of my posts from back then, you would see they are full of optimism. The more he played, the more problems he caused and I’m sorry to say I gave up on him.

OrcaFat

Doesn't being on the physical diameter of the football pitch "make yourself available for the ball"?

The way that some people talk it's like he sneaks onto the bench when no one is looking.

Fine, he doesn't actively hunt down the ball. Does Mount? Does Casemiro? Does Erikson? Not from what I've seen.

I'll reiterate. The EPL is the best and most challenging league in the world. We have coaches who know their stuff. Players are chipped up and there's statistics for everything.

If one of our players was hiding from the ball, they'd be training with the kids.

People saying that he hides from the ball is bizarre and it just demonstrates mass hysteria and how a lie can be considered the truth if enough people cite it.

Watch England play. Rice doesn't come hunting for the ball from his team mates. No England midfielder does.
You’re watching a different game to me. I like your enthusiasm and you seem to think EtH rates him. The club was reluctant to accept offer(s) for him. He may have uses.

I’m gathering from your posts that you think he is comparable to other players in our squad, even Eriksen, in terms of receiving the ball when we are in possession. I’m amazed if you can find anyone who agrees with that.