2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Ekeke

Surely Bruno is up there with Casemiro? He always seems to be near the top for defensive contributions
He has certainly been up there in the past, but per 90 mins this is where it stands this season

Gore and to some extent Amad you can ignore because of such a low amount of minutes.

Mount a bit more but its still like 5 games. Then its Amrabat and McTom both more than Fernandes. I mean you would expect it given they are played in our deep midfield roles, but as you say Fernandes is usually an aggressive player trying to win the ball but no this season he's a bit down the list. Mainoo is right after Bruno. Bruno with the 2.1 per 90 and Mainoo with 2.0

Personally I'd expect around 2.5 tackles from deep midfielders so McTom is only slightly short of that, Amrabat is in excess and Casemiro is far above - but I'd expect that of him. And for me its Amrabat on the ball I've been more dissappointed with,

Anyway back to the point, Casemiro makes the most tackles for the team. And someone might say its only 1.4 more than McTominay but thats every 90 mins so over 20+ matches it's going to be end up being a lot.

Also people have brought up Mainoo to defend McTom before in this thread. Mainoo is 18 and he plays because of how well he takes the ball under pressure and can run past players. If we had 2 senior players who are great in his position he probably wouldnt be playing but we just have Casemiro so the spot is open and Mainoo does some things nicely so he plays.

This is Paul Scholes tackling stats from his later seasons when it was actually being recorded

So yeah I feel lenient enough expecting around 2.5 tackles per 90 mins if Scholes was doing more than that and he wasn't known for his tackling. In fact when I was younger the commentators would never fail to mention he "never learned how to tackle"

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

You won’t find a player of much higher caliber, who is loyal to the club, and is also happy to be a squad player whilst not demanding ridiculous wages.
You really can - pretty easily actually.

We heard this same argument being used to defend Fellaini whenever he'd pop up with a goal. The fact is - no successful top team has a player with his limitations in their squad who gets as many minutes as Mctominay.

Sell him this summer before his valuation plummets. I guarantee we won't miss his goals when we have other squad players who are capable of contributing more to our overall play.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
He's good as a supersub or 15th man or whatever it is but we must keep him away from starting XI at all cost. Maybe he can start in cup games against lower division clubs but thats it. I am leaning to sell him if a good offer comes

FootballAI

He's good as a supersub or 15th man or whatever it is but we must keep him away from starting XI at all cost. Maybe he can start in cup games against lower division clubs but thats it. I am leaning to sell him if a good offer comes
He is definitely our super sub, and there is no other player in any other club that can match his record of coming in and scoring important goal this season. The idea of selling him is just ridiculous.

That said, agree completely we should never start him in the 3 men midfield, Eriksen should be prioritised and when Eriksen is tired in the 2nd half then we bring McT in. In term of pecking order of midfield for starting line up:
1. Casemiro
2. Bruno
3. Mainoo
4. Mount
5. Eriksen
6. McT

Between now till end of season, since we don't really have a back up striker (Rashford's hold up play is just too inconsistent) ETH should seriously consider using McT as the 2nd striker option. So if anyone want to start McT I seriously recommend we swap between him and Hojlund.

Chelsea 4:3 Man Utd New

Ekeke

Happy now?

Had a decent start to his cameo competing in the middle but that was an embarassing reaction to the quick corner and impact on the ball. Head it dont use your arm

Bwuk

Happy now?

Had a decent start to his cameo competing in the middle but that was an embarassing reaction to the quick corner and impact on the ball. Head it dont use your arm
The balls just hit him, not really much he could do.

It's more on whoever was pointing at Palmer and not picking him up (Mount or Bruno).

Doracle

Thought he did well. The goal wasn’t his fault. Looked like Mount should have been on Palmer.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
In 94th minute there was a situation where you can see how shit player he is and why he should not play on this level.
Bruno, Mount, Rashy and Mainoo were playing quick first time passes. McDross couldn't do it. First time he tried to control the ball, second time his pass was shit.

Absolutely awful player.

Ekeke

Thought he did well. The goal wasn’t his fault. Looked like Mount should have been on Palmer.
The shot was middle of the goal and easy to take. McTom moves towards it, but instead of heading it his arm touches it towards his own goal. Thats an easy save if he gets out of the way and impossible to stop if he does exactly what he does. Terrible

Bobski

The shot was middle of the goal and easy to take. McTom moves towards it, but instead of heading it his arm touches it towards his own goal. Thats an easy save if he gets out of the way and impossible to stop if he does exactly what he does. Terrible
Wasn't one of the pens he gave away earlier in the season very similar, same height, caught in 2 minds over how to block it?

He actually did alright when he came on, then that.

edgecutter

He another that should be on his way in the summer. When a player makes your yearn for Fred something is fecking wrong.

Hoof the ball

The introduction of McTominay in any given pre-existing winning circumstance usually results of some form of capitulation. I've seen it time and time and time again. This idea that bringing McTominay on results in a greater security to close out games is an idea that needs to die. His erraticness invites chaos.

Ekeke

Wasn't one of the pens he gave away earlier in the season very similar, same height, caught in 2 minds over how to block it?

He actually did alright when he came on, then that.
I think so, rings a bell but not sure.

And I agree. Until that part he and particularly mount had helped us keep the ball and manage the game. But then he made that crucial error with the points on the line

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Definitely a fault for the goal there, that is after we messed up not sorting out the short corner pressure. Terrible shot that the keeper would easily catch. What was he thinking?

His football was also at odds with the rest of the team. We weren't trying to score the 4th at all but you still see him sprinting forward behind the defense whenever Antony got the ball, leaving a giant space in midfield. At one point Rashford got back in defense to cover his space.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah, that just can't happen when you've been brought on to sure up a game.

Robaldo

In 25 minutes he had 14 touches, lost ball 3 times and scored own goal basically. That is good cameo these days for United players? Bloody hell.
I know McTominay's an easy target and a popular player to mindlessly hate on but he was pretty good until the deflection.

BorisManUtd

In 25 minutes he had 14 touches, lost ball 3 times and scored own goal basically. That is good cameo these days for United players? Bloody hell.
It's how I saw it. Felt like he was mostly comfortable in possession, like others.

Roboc7

He was rightfully dropped for being shit recently but Casemiro was a complete disaster so no idea what will happen in the next game. Clearly he should be sold but we can’t get rid of him, Casemiro and Eriksen and he is arguably most useful of those three now. Doesn’t mean a lot but it’s that kind of low bar that has allowed him and numerous others to survive season after season.

IrishMcD

This is my personal opinion, but I do not think he has any business being at a club that want to challenge for big trophies. Not even as a squad player. There are no games that you can start him in and be confident in winning the midfield battle. He’s simply not good enough technically or intelligent enough on the field. He wouldn’t have a place at City, Liverpool, Arsenal or any of the big European clubs. We wouldn’t sign him if he was playing for another team.
i have heard the arguments for keeping him at the club, I just don’t agree with them at all. One of the many namesI’d love cleared out of the club, and he’d be near the top along with Rashford

edgecutter

He was bombing forward when we were winning 3-2. He's more concerned about scoring than doing the defensive work.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Should only be used as a Fellaini lite to cause chaos in their box. Cannot midfield. Possession and control are impossible with a player that hates the ball and can't pass. Done with him personally. Wish West Ham made a better offer.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
We need a Mac Allister type midfielder, someone who has the ability to get late in the box and score goals, but who primarily knows how to play midfield. We instead have this waster, the dollar shop Fellaini, who is considered a valiant warrior, a hero of sorts, despite being an atrocious footballer. The standards at this club are in absolute pits.

Sylar

I understand bringing him on when we're losing. When we're winning , it's almost a roll of the dice with that you will get.

stevoc

The introduction of McTominay in any given pre-existing winning circumstance usually results of some form of capitulation. I've seen it time and time and time again. This idea that bringing McTominay on results in a greater security to close out games is an idea that needs to die. His erraticness invites chaos.
Forest away springs to mind.

stevoc

I understand bringing him on when we're losing. When we're winning , it's almost a roll of the dice with that you will get.
Lunacy to bring him on when we had Eriksen, Mount and Amrabat on the bench. Ten Hag is obsessed with Scott.

Sylar

Lunacy to bring him on when we had Eriksen, Mount and Amrabat on the bench. Ten Hag is obsessed with Scott.
We are so far away from where we need to be looking at our options.

luke511

In an ideal world, McTominay would’ve been sold in the summer and that along with the Mount money would’ve gone towards a top level centre mid, Ten Hag and Murtough have inflicted this season on themselves.

Sylar

In an ideal world, McTominay would’ve been sold in the summer and that along with the Mount money would’ve gone towards a top level centre mid, Ten Hag and Murtough have inflicted this season on themselves.
Wasn't it the case we wanted to buy Amrabat but couldn't until we sold mctominay, and as we couldn't we ended up with amrabat on loan?

luke511

Wasn't it the case we wanted to buy Amrabat but couldn't until we sold mctominay, and as we couldn't we ended up with amrabat on loan?
I think an Amrabat loan was always the plan but we wouldn’t agree on the fee, then the season started, Mount and Bruno as a combo ended up being a car crash, realisation sunk in and we ended up paying double the original amount Fiorentina was requesting.

KeanoMagicHat

We are always likely to concede with him in the team. It’s amazing he was considered a defensive minded midfielder for so long. Poor defensive awareness.

stevoc

Our current midfield has been built by Ten Hag, but he doesn't seem to have any faith in any of them.

Even though I like Eriksen, he should probably follow McTominay and Amrbat out the door.

RedDevilQuebecois

Whenever I think at McTominay's body positioning on Palmer's winning goal, I swear to God that his attempt at blocking the shot was more embarrasing than whenever an ice hockey player does the "flamingo" (it means lifting one leg, standing like a flamingo, to get out of the way of a shot). It's lazy and it stinks cowardice when you do something like that.

On the very first opportunity, the incoming DOF must find a way to sell his arse away.