2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

YikesSchmeics

Rubbish again. But no goal to mask his inefficiencies.

Running past the last man when we are 3-2 up, then hanging forward hoping to receive a 2nd time pass instead of getting back into his position to keep the teams shape. People are surprised we are so chaotic and have chasms in midfield, but this lad is often up top getting in Hojlunds way making the same runs so is anyone really surprised? All well and good all these goals he is scoring, but the downsides to them are gapingly obvious to anyone with a modicum of understanding of the game.

The own goal was just a limp attempt. I am more concerned with the general decision making and lack of any in game awareness to just bloody hold. He plays like it is the last 5 minutes of Thursday 5 a side, next goal wins, all the time.

Thankfully his goal output means we should be able to get a good fee for him and 100% should sell him now while we have the chance.

Carrick used to get similar stick for not getting on the ball because people didn't understand he was covering spaces and preventing attacks. McTominay is the polar opposite, he doesn't get on the ball but he is always caught out of position. No surprise the game becomes end to end when hes on the pitch because our midfield disappears. His only thought is how he can get forward and attack with or without the ball.

RuudTom83

Plays like a no.10 these days...Utter Madness

But is he really to blame? is he following tactics? has he even got the ability to even follow tactics? are they any tactics?

Who knows anymore with this club. You become numb to it all after a number of years. :houllier:

RedStarUnited

For years Fred carried this guy from a defensive POV. He has never been good enough defensively.

Bobski

When people ask if he is following tactics by pushing so far forward are they just ignoring Mainoo taking up very similar positions for the first 75 mins before switching to DM when McT replaced Cas? Yes he doesn't get into the box as much as McT but his starting position is equally high. People still blaming McT for the lack of midfield control when the exact same thing happens no matter who plays.

Why do managers keep picking him? Because despite what you think of his general ability level he follows instructions and does what they want.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

When people ask if he is following tactics by pushing so far forward are they just ignoring Mainoo taking up very similar positions for the first 75 mins before switching to DM when McT replaced Cas? Yes he doesn't get into the box as much as McT but his starting position is equally high. People still blaming McT for the lack of midfield control when the exact same thing happens no matter who plays.

Why do managers keep picking him? Because despite what you think of his general ability level he follows instructions and does what they want.
So that’s the criteria for a Manchester United midfielder is it these days? Totally lacking in ability to be one but ‘follows instructions’? No wonder we are languishing in 6th position with a negative goal difference. How standards have plummeted over the years. Sad to see.

Bobski

So that’s the criteria for a Manchester United midfielder is it these days? Totally lacking in ability to be one but ‘follows instructions’? No wonder we are languishing in 6th position with a negative goal difference. How standards have plummeted over the years. Sad to see.
Don't disagree but it is a separate discussion. I am not going to blame a player for the idiocy of the managerial instructions. Absolutely take a player to task for lack of application, poor decision making and lack of ability.

Bobski

Good to see the midfield controlling games so much better with McTominay out, because as stated by so many he was the key reason Utd couldn't control games.

edgecutter

Good to see the midfield controlling games so much better with McTominay out, because as stated by so many he was the key reason Utd couldn't control games.
Put the phone down Scott. Hopefully west ham take you next season

NZT-One

Yeah thats definitely proof that he isn't. Thanks for bringing it up. It is such an important factor to distinguish whether he is just shit technically or whether he is the shittiest element in our midfield. Really really important.

Irwin99

Weird bump. We actually did have the majority of possession and our midfielders had a reasonable amount of passes- i'm not saying they were great or anything but at least they touched the ball often.

CloneMC16

I don't think anybody is saying McTominay is the sole issue in midfield. It doesn't matter which midfielders have played. It's been horrendous all season. McTominay is still bad, though.

Bobski

I don't think anybody is saying McTominay is the sole issue in midfield. It doesn't matter which midfielders have played. It's been horrendous all season. McTominay is still bad, though.
A lot of people have, and there has been a ton of lazy criticism along those lines. I hope he isn't starting next season but I didn't care for the lazy scapegoating that took place for much of the season, when it was obvious Ten Hags tactics were absurd.

CloneMC16

A lot of people have, and there has been a ton of lazy criticism along those lines. I hope he isn't starting next season but I didn't care for the lazy scapegoating that took place for much of the season, when it was obvious Ten Hags tactics were absurd.
Yeah, odd people do blame singular players, but that is pointless. There are very few players at the end of the season that will be able to say they had a good season. Our issues are both tactical and a lack of ability.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
We miss him as a bench option but that's it. He would've been useful today in the last 15-20mins when we needed a winner.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

Yeah, odd people do blame singular players, but that is pointless. There are very few players at the end of the season that will be able to say they had a good season. Our issues are both tactical and a lack of ability.
And as far as lacking basic ability, McTomminey is one of the worst. It’s not his fault as he doesn’t pick himself but it’s tragic we have such a mediocre talent featuring week after week. No wonder we are languishing in 7th place with a negative goal difference if this guy is seen as a regular.

Walters_19_MuFc

We really don’t at all. The fact this guy is seen as some kind of ‘saviour’ says it all about how far we have fallen as a club.
Saviour? Based on what? I said we missed him simply because I believe he would have potentially added some attacking threat either as a starter or from the bench. I mean, let's not go on like he hasn't scored some important goals for us this season.

AshRK

What a weird bump to the thread. It's like someone commenting on wout's thread from last season and saying "see we are still struggling to score. Told ya he was never the issue"

Remember the geese

Saviour? Based on what? I said we missed him simply because I believe he would have potentially added some attacking threat either as a starter or from the bench. I mean, let's not go on like he hasn't scored some important goals for us this season.
We brought Mount on who is a much better player and bigger goal threat.

Bobski

What a weird bump to the thread. It's like someone commenting on wout's thread from last season and saying "see we are still struggling to score. Told ya he was never the issue"
Yes, weird and petty I admit.

However I remember all the "McTominay scoring winners is the worst thing to happen this season as it means he gets more starts" "Can't control games with him in the team" "Abandoning midfield to run upfront" "Hiding from the ball" style comments. It was really quite obvious to anyone who was watching without agenda that many of the issues that he was being blamed for were basic structural problems created by Ten Hag, but it was just easier for many to blame the player. When the exact same pattern is present no matter the player it points in one direction.

Don't want him starting, Utd need better players than him taking the mins he has got but this fanbase is way too comfortable in picking out individual players to shit on.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

However I remember all the "McTominay scoring winners is the worst thing to happen this season as it means he gets more starts" "Can't control games with him in the team" "Abandoning midfield to run upfront" "Hiding from the ball" style comments. It was really quite obvious to anyone who was watching without agenda that many of the issues that he was being blamed for were basic structural problems created by Ten Hag, but it was just easier for many to blame the player. When the exact same pattern is present no matter the player it points in one direction.

Don't want him starting, Utd need better players than him taking the mins he has got but this fanbase is way too comfortable in picking out individual players to shit on.
He does hide from the ball though.

AshRK

But that's what most here have said as well. Him starting games is not a good thing. Eth or not he is a player with limited ability to play week in week out as a mf for a top side. I don't think he is the answer irrespective of the manager.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

He’s scored the grand total of 7 goals in 27 Premiership games this season, 4 of which came in 2 games which means in the other 23 he’s scored 3 goals. Hardly makes him a potent or regular goal threat. Not a great return for someone who apparently scoring goals is his greatest attribute.

Walters_19_MuFc

He’s scored the grand total of 7 goals in 27 Premiership games this season, 4 of which came in 2 games which means in the other 23 he’s scored 3 goals. Hardly makes him a potent or regular goal threat. Not a great return for someone who apparently scoring goals is his greatest attribute.
McTominay has scored the same amount of goals (7) as Rashford, Hojlund and Garnacho, and one less than Bruno, who has scored a few penalties. He's done this in significantly less time than the aforementioned players, too. For a midfielder, I'd say that's not too bad. Our attacking players, on the other hand.....

Coventry 3:3 Man Utd New

Ekeke

Good movement for the goal.

Terrible midfield performance.

Typical of him this season and its hard to argue any reason that he's a central midfielder other than he gets picked on the teamsheet there. But he has more qualities of a striker than a midfielder

I'm not saying he's a striker btw. I'm saying he's a terrible midfielder and when he's done well this season its been because he got into the box and scored.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

McTominay has scored the same amount of goals (7) as Rashford, Hojlund and Garnacho, and one less than Bruno, who has scored a few penalties. He's done this in significantly less time than the aforementioned players, too. For a midfielder, I'd say that's not too bad. Our attacking players, on the other hand.....
It’s not too bad compared to the others who are largely awful as well, especially Rashford but it’s not exactly a stellar return when you consider he contributes literally nothing else. If we aspire to challenge for the Premiership ever again and not just languish around in 7th place he’s got no place here. Of course if you’re happy with mid table mediocrity then he’s absolutely fine and should continue to get regular game time. He’s unquestionably a very average midfielder to put it generously. We can and we should do a hell of a lot better.

Bobski

He didn't make a forward run in the second half and was struggling badly to get to Coventry players. Passed it ok but his fitness wasn't good and then he had to rely on his tactical nous and that is not his strength.

Irwin99

He seems a good guy but just it's another one of those players where you think, what's the point? Good opening goal, but what else does he actually do?

Dve

He didn't make a forward run in the second half and was struggling badly to get to Coventry players. Passed it ok but his fitness wasn't good and then he had to rely on his tactical nous and that is not his strength.
Next to Maguire, he was our best player, imo.

Ekeke

Next to Maguire, he was our best player, imo.
Yikes. He did well making the run for the goal, then proceeded to look worse than Championship midfielders all game. He was nowhere near our better players

Torp and O'Haire both played better than him

AneRu

It’s not too bad compared to the others who are largely awful as well, especially Rashford but it’s not exactly a stellar return when you consider he contributes literally nothing else. If we aspire to challenge for the Premiership ever again and not just languish around in 7th place he’s got no place here. Of course if you’re happy with mid table mediocrity then he’s absolutely fine and should continue to get regular game time. He’s unquestionably a very average midfielder to put it generously. We can and we should do a hell of a lot better.
Comes up with the goals but his goals come at too much of a cost because surrender any form of control with him in midfield. Don't know what happened to him because ball winning used to be one of his key skills in a limited skills set. If we want to improve he just has to go.

Ekeke

Made 0 tackles, 0 interceptions and 13 less passes than Mainoo when he came off in the 71st minute. He did have 1 dribble to Mainoo's 0 and he won 3 aerials

Very nice run to convert an easy goal and then tried hard not to do anything for the next 97 minutes. Didnt compete for the ball on the ground and barely played the ball

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

Comes up with the goals but his goals come at too much of a cost because surrender any form of control with him in midfield. Don't know what happened to him because ball winning used to be one of his key skills in a limited skills set. If we want to improve he just has to go.
I agree he has this season had an OK scoring record but it’s the first time it’s happened and he’s 28 this year. Even Steve Bruce scored 13 goals in a season once. There is no guarantee he will continue to get the odd goal. I find his continued presence here very frustrating as I did with Fellani when he was here. When he was supposedly up for sale last summer there was literally no interest in him apart from one half hearted bid from Moyes. All that talk about Newcastle allegedly wanting him turned out to be so much BS. He wouldn’t even feature for any of the teams above us and probably those immediately below us either. Completely baffling how he continues to get so much game time here. Even when he’s on the bench he’s the go too sub who gets brought on first.