2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

klayton88

The epitome of mediocrity. If one player sums up the way the club has been ran for the last 10 years it's this guy.

NZT-One

Yeah same, that tackle for the Hojlund chance was exceptional he was really good at driving at their defence.
One scene in the, what 15th minute? After that scene he was borderline invisible.

Game didn't really matter, but it highlighted the issues with him... he is too passive to be a defending midfielder and he is way too uncomfortable on the ball to be an attacking one. He seems to be a cool guy and also a great professional but we really need to upgrade players like that. Its all fine and well to have options for specific situations lets focus on the biggest issues first. Had we exchanged him with a more functional midfielder, nobody would think twice about him. Not even if he ended up with 13 goals for Westham or whatnot.

AshRK

Players like him and awb should technically not even be in the squad as squad players. Limited to an extent the moment they are asked to start, they will look out of depth

Bwuk

Doesn’t look fit.

The gap between him, Mainoo and Amrabat was wild.

LDUred

It's like when you're at high school and someone always gets picked on the count of being big and tall.

Last edited:

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Some idiots on here think we should keep him on for a squad option

Mike Smalling

Some idiots on here think we should keep him on for a squad option
Count me among those idiots. If we were building a new squad from scratch with unlimited budget, he’d be out of course. But we can’t realistically ship out the entire midfield over the summer, and I’d definitely get rid of Casemiro and Eriksen first. At least McTominay is fit and might be able to have an impact from the bench. The problem is having to start him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Looked barely fit to me. This game doesn't change anything, mayba apart from the feeling a modern manager would've played Amad in #10 role rather than Scott, but ETH love for McTominay is unprecedented.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Say what you want but he is the best midfielder/CF hybrid in the mold of Fellaini from Scottland whose name begins with 'S' that our academy has ever produced in the last 10 years.

Cloudface

It's the same problem with him messing up easy passing opportunities to start counters because he can't pass at any angle other than a straight line directly in front of him. He has to adjust his entire body to make so many simple passes and it just isn't good enough for a midfielder here.

Bobski

Whoscored shows him as having 46 touches, compared to Garnacho at 25, Diallo at 43, Mainoo at 39.

6 aerials won, more than anyone on the pitch and probably more than Hojlund has won in a game all season
3 Tackles won, joint with Cas and Burn for the most on the pitch.
3 clearances.
2 shots.
Pinged a great ball to Garnacho who messed up his first touch

He was alright, especially first half.

Irwin99

Didn't think he was great against Newcastle but not terrible either. Got a feeling he'll start in the cup final.

Pughnichi

Whoscored shows him as having 46 touches, compared to Garnacho at 25, Diallo at 43, Mainoo at 39.

6 aerials won, more than anyone on the pitch and probably more than Hojlund has won in a game all season
3 clearances.
2 shots.

These stats would be decent…if he wasn’t playing as our furthest fwd player

Oranges038

3 clearances.
2 shots.

Does that count the one that setup Newcastle's first goal?

He should be one of the first out the door this summer. From a technical point of view he's just nowhere near good enough.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I really don't agree. He seems like the archetypal useful squad player. He shouldn't be first pick, but he always shows up and he can be very handy coming on as sub to shake things up in attack. Should not be used as a defensive player.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

I really don't agree. He seems like the archetypal useful squad player. He shouldn't be first pick, but he always shows up and he can be very handy coming on as sub to shake things up in attack. Should not be used as a defensive player.
Yes but he’s not a squad player. He’s a regular starting midfielder. Even when he’s on the bench for the odd game he’s the first sub used. He was even Captain in the last game. People keep using this ‘useful squad player’ label for him as it’s an excuse for his glaring deficiencies. He’s nowhere near good enough for a club with top tier aspirations like we are supposed to have. Then again if we’ve turned into Bournemouth he’s perfect for life as a mid table, mediocre club. There seem to be quite a few who are content with this. Was exactly the same when we had Fellani stinking up the place.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Maybe I would accept your point if we were close to having a City-like squad with over 20 really good footballers in it, but we are way off that and won't get there in the near future. I don't see any point in selling McTominay unless someone wants to pay really silly money. He will remain useful. There are so many other players to get shot of first.

Bwuk

Felt him and Bruno did very well in leading the line, and giving us an outlet to play out too. Probably should have scored.

We all want Hojlund to be a star, but how often do we see the ball go forward towards him and it just comes back at us.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

Maybe I would accept your point if we were close to having a City-like squad with over 20 really good footballers in it, but we are way off that and won't get there in the near future. I don't see any point in selling McTominay unless someone wants to pay really silly money. He will remain useful. There are so many other players to get shot of first.
That’s a matter of opinion. No one would offer more than £30m for him last season and that was just a half hearted bid. He’s another year older now. He’s at his peak of mediocrity now, only going to get worse from here. There’s nothing in his background to suggest he will get the same number of goals again as this season, and even that wasn’t anything special for a player for whom this is his supposed strength.

Bobski

Does that count the one that setup Newcastle's first goal?

He should be one of the first out the door this summer. From a technical point of view he's just nowhere near good enough.
Did the CB not win that?

I guess Amrabat swinging at air had nothing to with that goal? Or Cas and AWB not being aware of the runner?

Oranges038

Did the CB not win that?

I guess Amrabat swinging at air had nothing to with that goal? Or Cas and AWB not being aware of the runner?
He won it from what I could see. On whoscored he won 2 out 2 aerials from 45 to 50th minute.
If he didn't win it then that is wrong. But yeah, look at everyone else's mistakes after and not look at the action that led to Amrabat having to turn back and swing his leg up at the ball or why Cas and AWB had to chase back into the box.

7 years and he's still turning in the same invisible displays. Should be gone long ago.

Red Royal

He has a good season in terms of goal contributions but really no improvement in all round play. Now would be the best time to cash in on him as he could be good for a mid-table but not for what we should be aiming for.

Bobski

He won it from what I could see. On whoscored he won 2 out 2 aerials from 45 to 50th minute.
If he didn't win it then that is wrong. But yeah, look at everyone else's mistakes after and not look at the action that led to Amrabat having to turn back and swing his leg up at the ball or why Cas and AWB had to chase back into the box.

7 years and he's still turning in the same invisible displays. Should be gone long ago.
55 secs, McT setting up the Newcastle goal, rational take.

Bobski

Did he head the ball 30 yards back into his own half and set up the Newcastle attack?
I can't tell if he or the defender heads it. Given the angle of the heads and where the ball goes it might be the CB.

Either way to call that setting up the Newcastle goal is ridiculous.

Oranges038

I can't tell if he or the defender heads it. Given the angle of the heads and where the ball goes it might be the CB.

Either way to call that setting up the Newcastle goal is ridiculous.
Whoscored says he won that header. He could have directed it left or right or glanced it on or headed it in the direction of one of his team mates. The one place you don't want that going is where it went.

He heads it 30 yards backwards over his own midfield and 2 passes later Newcastle have a goal. But he shouldn't be blamed for it.

Bobski

Whoscored says he won that header. He could have directed it left or right or glanced it on or headed it in the direction of one of his team mates. The one place you don't want that going is where it went.

He heads it 30 yards backwards over his own midfield and 2 passes later Newcastle have a goal. But he shouldn't be blamed for it.
So, no matter if he won it or not he is still to blame for the goal.

Ok.

Oranges038

So, no matter if he won it or not he is still to blame for the goal.

Ok.
He won it, but it's where he played it to. He could have tried to play it anywhere else but he ran at it and played it like a defensive header. He put it right back into a danger area when the team was stretched and pushing forward and put them under unnecessary pressure.

For me he's is the first to blame for that goal. Amrabat, AWB, Casemiro and to certain extent Dalot didn't cover themselves in glory but they were scrambling back trying to recover the situation he created.

NZT-One

No he is the absolute opposite of it. Squad players should enable you to a) don't change too much of the overall game style because of missing players and b) to add an option to either bolster defense or bolster attack. McTominay isn't good at anything, he can't replace Bruno. He can't replace Casemiro. He can't replace Mount or Eriksen. There is no point having him on the bench because as soon as one of those three would be gone McTominay couldn't take over the role. So does he provide an option...? To bolster defense? Barely. He is tall. Thats about it. Bolster attack? Well a little bit I guess. But at the price of playing with a man down from then on.

I understand people having a soft spot for the guy. He really is a professional and his physique is dreamy. But he doesn't do anything with it. Even yesterday, he wasn't able to use his physicality at all - it works against the David Silvas maybe. But even when Bruno Silva is there, McTominay doesn't dominate them. And in terms of football ability he is limited.

That doesn't mean that he has no place in this league. I am sure he could do well for a Team like Bournemouth. But those teams become fewer and fewer I guess. Because even the smaller ones start to actually play football now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
As long as McTominay remains a United player it will be the easiest way to determine that the team is going nowhere. A top team with a proper plan does not keep Scott because he ‘can do a job’ or whatever. Whatever job he is doing will never be compatible with a trophy winning side, he’s a total paradox to top level midfield play.

I’ve said many times, my immediate test when ETH joined was whether he would immediately render McTominay unusable. If you think ‘I can use this guy’, then you don’t have a footballing vision that will go anywhere. If we adopt that same mentality this summer, it will tell me the same. The long road to where we want to be would not have started yet.

IrishMcD

As long as McTominay remains a United player it will be the easiest way to determine that the team is going nowhere. A top team with a proper plan does not keep Scott because he ‘can do a job’ or whatever. Whatever job he is doing will never be compatible with a trophy winning side, he’s a total paradox to top level midfield play.

I’ve said many times, my immediate test when ETH joined was whether he would immediately render McTominay unusable. If you think ‘I can use this guy’, then you don’t have a footballing vision that will go anywhere. If we adopt that same mentality this summer, it will tell me the same. The long road to where we want to be would not have started yet.
Yup. All of this.

El__Jingo

really nice to see some one talk sense for once on here.

250 games for united and hes the worst to ever do so.

awful player, its absolutely mad to see how many midfielders have left and he has remained, even andreas/gomes/Garner are technically levels above him..

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

Yes exactly this. Astonishing how so many are subscribe to this, ‘does a job’, ‘good squad player’ etc. the guy is a regular starting midfielder for us sadly not a squad player. Frankly it’s no wonder we are a floundering, mediocre, mid table side with a negative goal difference if this is the sort of ‘quality’ we have in midfield.