Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Now that Newcastle are a CL team surely they should be targeting higher than Mctominay?

Maybe Howe is a fan of him.

Anyway, Mctominay is a good player but not a great one - someone in the league will be interested in signing him.

I can see him at West Ham - almost in a swap transfer for Rice - if a club like Newcastle don’t snatch him up.

55mil + Mctominay for Rice maybe a good balance.

croadyman

Now that Newcastle are a CL team surely they should be targeting higher than Mctominay?

Maybe Howe is a fan of him.

Anyway, Mctominay is a good player but not a great one - someone in the league will be interested in signing him.

I can see him at West Ham - almost in a swap transfer for Rice - if a club like Newcastle don’t snatch him up.

55mil + Mctominay for Rice maybe a good balance.
Be staggered if West Ham were interested in that kind of deal but happy to be proved wrong

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Be staggered if West Ham were interested in that kind of deal but happy to be proved wrong
Last season they wanted 120 for Rice. Now it’s dropped to 100 mil.

I think they will accept around the 85 mil mark unless we start a bidding war alongside Arsenal.

I think Mctominay would be a great replacement for Rice at West Ham and they get some money to spend from it.

These swap deals don’t tend to happen much in real life though compared to Football Manager - so selling Mctominay to someone and using that money to pay for Rice maybe the same thing.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Hopefully we've learned our lessons from the Lingard situation in 2021 and don't hang onto him for the sake of squad depth.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Based on his latest comments, he is (another one) who is perfectly happy to stay and play then and there.
Our classic story last 5,6 years. We will not push him out of the door, he is happy with being backup of the backup and there goes our potential 20-30 mil for reinvesting.

GreatDane

He's not good enough sadly, but he's had good games for us - when he hit his day he was/is a McTerminator.

Lee565

Imagine clinging on to him and de gea as our number 1, would have to raise an eye brow to ten hag squad building ability IF it happens

Baxquux

If the Newcastle interest is true, he should be thanking God or fate or whatever power he believes in, whilst we should absolutely be taking anything north of 30m if our directorate had a modicum of judgement and pragmatism. He's no peak Darren Fletcher, nor ever will be short of a miracle (and a move elsewhere where he can develop his game with more regular appearances and without quite the same megaclub, clickbait scrutiny)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Imagine clinging on to him and de gea as our number 1, would have to raise an eye brow to ten hag squad building ability IF it happens
Why? Because he has to make hard decisions on who to get within his budgetary limits or because he may see McTominay differently from others?

worldinmotion66

I think he’s still good value as a squad player on £60k (?) a week. I like Fred too but he’s the one I’d move on because he’s earning double what McTominay earns, he’s still got a bit of value and he’s much older. Scott’s not a #6 and has constantly been asked to play there. I think with more attacking license he can still be a decent back up for us while we have more pressing concerns.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I think he’s still good value as a squad player on £60k (?) a week. I like Fred too but he’s the one I’d move on because he’s earning double what McTominay earns, he’s still got a bit of value and he’s much older. Scott’s not a #6 and has constantly been asked to play there. I think with more attacking license he can still be a decent back up for us while we have more pressing concerns.
Here's the problem, it does look like we are playing a defensive minded player with two creative one's, Casemiro, Bruno & Mount will be the starting 3 with, we have Eriksen, Diallo & VDB for the 2 creative backup slots and Mctominay, Fred & Mejbri for the defensive slot which shows the issue, the only truely defensive minded player out of all 9 of those players I mentioned is Casemiro, I think we can easily lose Mctominay, Fred & Mejbri and get a backup #6 to better align the profile.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The bolded part is why we should sell him, we don't need him to be a backup #8.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Only way he leaves is if he properly pushes for it. Otherwise we’ll keep him under the guise of him being our “youngest midfielder” (at the age of 26)

DevTheRed

I think of the two Fred will leave and Scott will stay. Good player to have on the bench, can play multiple roles, contributes with goals every so often and obviously he’s an academy graduate which always helps registration rules.

James35

A potential exit I’m most excited about. Hopefully someone can afford him but yeah Roma will no doubt want a loan or some shit.

edgecutter

I think of the two Fred will leave and Scott will stay. Good player to have on the bench, can play multiple roles, contributes with goals every so often and obviously he’s an academy graduate which always helps registration rules.
Other than being home grown he isn't a good player to have around. He offers very little and looks way below the level we need for a backup midfielder. Cash in

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Here's the problem, it does look like we are playing a defensive minded player with two creative one's, Casemiro, Bruno & Mount will be the starting 3 with, we have Eriksen, Diallo & VDB for the 2 creative backup slots and Mctominay, Fred & Mejbri for the defensive slot which shows the issue, the only truely defensive minded player out of all 9 of those players I mentioned is Casemiro, I think we can easily lose Mctominay, Fred & Mejbri and get a backup #6 to better align the profile.
Fred and Mejbri are options for one of the #8 positions, not the DM. Hard to rate Hannibal, but Fred is certainly better that VDB and likely Amad (although obviously the hope is he might step up), and he suits some games more than Eriksen. The roles aren't just about creativity, we also need intensity and pressing which is where Eriksen obviously struggles badly. Indeed he and Fred are pretty much absolute opposites, with Eriksen bringing 50% of what we need while Fred brings the other 50%. Too bad we can't just merge them into one player (I guess that's what ETH is hoping Mount provides). Hannibal in theory provides both aspects as well but he really hasn't shown it outside of the youth teams yet.

McTominay is the only player we've got who ETH really used as an option when Casemiro was out. Fred played there once and had his worst game of the season, then Sabitzer played there in the following two games IIRC but was very average.

That's not to disagree with your main point though, as we obviously need better back-up for that role than Scott. He started the season well, but after that he was generally poor-to-average. May as well sell him (and likely one or two of the others) and use that money on someone who can be trusted more in that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.