g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinjiNinja26

Why have we not proactively planned to sell him? What is wrong with us??

Most likely because it looks like Fred will be going and we’ve got a limited budget which needs to be spent in higher priority areas such as the striker position. I’d imagine if we can raise cash through a few sales and if someone comes in for him with a good offer we’ll sell and probably bring in Amrabat as a replacement. It’s not saying we won’t sell, it’s just we aren’t actively pushing him out the door.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Because we are not proactive. Liverpool will sell Fabinho (who is still good player for them) and replace him with better player (i presume). Same what City did with lots of players.
We will keep McTominay as 5th option and next year we will need to sell him for minimum fee or give him new contract because his contract ends 2025.
This is what infuriates me about some of our dealings - we only seem to deal with things when we absolutely have to (De Gea a recent example) rather than thinking 2 or 3 years ahead.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
All plans are proactive because they involve something that hasnt happened yet. So wtf is a proactive plan?
Thinking ahead. How important is that player for us? How much he will play? Is it worthy in financial way to keep him? Can we get a better player for his potential transfer fee?
That is proactive plan. Basically upgrading positions for minimum financial loss.

Revaulx

Someone said it recently, it reminds us of Fellaini, horrible at DM but bloody useful further forward
Indeed. He hasn’t got Fellaini’s extraordinary skill at controlling high balls, though he’s better with the ball at his feet. It’s a shame his passing is so inconsistent.

Lemoor

Why have we not proactively planned to sell him? What is wrong with us??

We still can't even be certain about the budget for the current transfer window. There hasn't been much proactivity for a while and there will be a while before it happens again.

Revaulx

I'd imagine that EtH is happy to keep McT in the squad hence the not actively looking to sell.
I'm also sure that should a £30m offer come in then EtH/United wouldn't be too sad to say yes.
If we’re looking to raise money from sales though, he’s one of the few that not only has marketable qualities but also doesn’t come with undesirable baggage (overpaid, poor injury record etc.). Which should make him one of the easier players to shift for a decent fee. And I agree that £30m isn’t at all ridiculous.

Big Andy

Bloke
If Declan Rice is worth £105m, then Scotty is worth at least £70m. There's hardly any difference in them really. Can anyone tell me what Rice can do that McTominay can't?

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Unless we are planning on having both Mainoo and Hannibal as part of the first team squad I don't see McT leaving, even if we sign Ambrabat.

With Fred and Van de Beek likely to leave, I don't see us going with an untested Mainoo as our 6th midfielder. He will be in and around the 1st team but don't see him being our 2nd choice DM / #8 just yet.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Gallagher and McTominay and West Ham will have forgotten about Rice within a week.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Gallagher and McTominay and West Ham will have forgotten about Rice within a week.
Gallagher bid rejected by Chelsea, West Ham look to be trying to sign Alvarez from Ajax, so maybe McTominay is the alternative to Gallagher

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Would be strange to get twice as good player in Amrabat to replace McTominay, possibly with a slight profit too..

Would be great because Amrabat who is not a pure no6 is muhc better positionally and defensively than McTominay who only should just play as an 8, but quite obviously not good enough even remotely to fulfill that role at United ( that's why we got Mount)

Shame noone wants Eriksen and his wages we could have get rid of another nto good enough player while making a nice profit and having nice healthy energetic squad ready to play high octane footy, not just with a starting 11..

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
WHU allegedly bidding for Gallagher and McTominay simultaneously - only likely to buy one.

kundalini

So if you go to the source quoted, ExWHUEmployee says West Ham asked about McTominay, there was a difference in valuations and it looks unlikely that West Ham will follow up with any offer.

All these United related twitter/X/whatever accounts don't bother with the details.

croadyman

So if you go to the source quoted, ExWHUEmployee says West Ham asked about McTominay, there was a difference in valuations and it looks unlikely that West Ham will follow up with any offer.

All these United related twitter/X/whatever accounts don't bother with the details.
Think he stays and Fred gets sold

Abraxas

Here's hoping we get a bit of that Rice money coming our way. Not a fan of McTominay's prospects in an ETH team. I think we have better options to go box to box in Fernandes and Mount that are far more proactive in their play. As we know he doesn't have the tactical nous as a deep lying player either. Not sure what West Ham's idea is for him, maybe a Soucek upgrade but I'd sooner see them work it out than us.

Relfy

If Gallagher is priced at £40m then McT should be in and around the same price.

Sir Chapman

Gallagher bid rejected by Chelsea, West Ham look to be trying to sign Alvarez from Ajax, so maybe McTominay is the alternative to Gallagher
I do not understand how on earth Gallagher is worth 40 mio. or even more? Is it just because he is an English player and usually clubs pay in general more due to this fact or does he really have something? Sorry, but from following his time at Chelsea, I never saw any proper qualities where I thought he could have made an impact. For me he will end up like most of the average players and clubs pay for him 40-50 mio.? So and then here we are sitting and thinking how can we get for Fred and McT each 10-15 mio. We must doing something totally wrong when it comes to selling. Do not get me wrong but I see McT on a similar level like Gallagher only with the difference that the latter may play both (offensive/defensive).

Last edited:

ColvaleGoa

Do you think DeZerbi might fancy McT to replace Caicedo? They will need him and McAllister replacing, when Caicedo moves to Chelsea. Also they will have the cash.

padzilla

Hipster
Definitely... Yet some people think we should be offloading him for less then £20m just because they don't like him.
Couldn't agree more, for some reason we're being lowballed by other teams when it comes to our fringe players but being expected to pay a king's ransom for theirs.
Look how much Chelsea have made this summer from offloading players who were surplus to requirements.

Nogho

I do not understand how on earth Gallagher is worth 40 mio. or even more? Is it just because he is an English player and usually clubs pay in general more due to this fact or does he really have something? Sorry, but from following his time at Chelsea, I never saw any proper qualities where I thought he could have made an impact. For me he will end up like most of the average players and clubs pay for him 40-50 mio.? So and then here we are sitting and thinking how can we get for Fred and McT each 10-15 mio. We must doing something totally wrong when it comes to selling. Do not get me wrong but I see McT on a similar level like Gallagher only with the difference that the latter may play both (offensive/defensive).
The problem is that our players mentioned is considered bench warmers. They haven't played and exceled in a while therefore their market value plumets. If McTominay would have been a starter at say West Ham, a starter in the Scottish side and played 30+ games a season his value would easily been around the same value as Gallagher. Now his considered a bit of a failure and therefore the bids a more of a "we can help you and your club with this donation"-kind of offers. Sad, but that is the market of today.

Status
Not open for further replies.