Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
If they were right, our midfield wouldn’t be so fecking shit with him and Fred playing in there weekly.
Mctominay isn't a DM or possession style CM so isn't suited to ETH's system but that doesn't mean he can't be of use in other systems. He's a high energy box to box with good physical attributes. He'll do well for a counter attacking team and improve their set piece threat. We should be able to get £35M for him.

InfiniteBoredom

Could we get him for £65m,remember we still have to bring in a striker as well
As I said, it depends on the sales, since we are hamstrung not by our cash reserves but FFP/FSP limit. McTominay sale would be pure profit as hes an academy product (book value =0), so 25-30m for him would cover the amortized fee+wage of a 60-70m signing for a couple of years.

Our striker signing is accounted for in our original budget (~ 100m) this summer. We've spent about half of that on Mount, hence we are trying to negotiate a 50m fee or below with Atalanta for Hojlund.

aeh1991

If we can sell him for 30m that would be the business of the century.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Mctominay isn't a DM or possession style CM so isn't suited to ETH's system but that doesn't mean he can't be of use in other systems. He's a high energy box to box with good physical attributes. He'll do well for a counter attacking team and improve their set piece threat. We should be able to get £35M for him.
The 'high energy' is actually very debatable.

He's capable of doing it at times (normally in big games which is what people remember), but in most games his work-rate is probably less than the average PL central midfielder. When we have possession he's lazy about getting into decent positions to receive the ball or create space for others, and when the opposition have possession he normally doesn't press that often. He also has a very annoying tendency to just jog back if the opposition get in behind him. I'll never forget the time that Fred had to race back from the other side of the field, past Scott, to actually win the ball back, while Scott just casually jogged back while ball-watching.

Like I said, he is capable of being high energy at times, so maybe we'll see more of that if he joins another club. One thing I've always suspected is that Scott might step up quite a bit if he joins a 'lesser' team where he feels he has to take on more responsibility to make things happen. He's shown it in small periods here and there for us, but certainly never consistently.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

He's capable of doing it at times (normally in big games which is what people remember), but in most games his work-rate is probably less than the average PL central midfielder. When we have possession he's lazy about getting into decent positions to receive the ball or create space for others, and when the opposition have possession he normally doesn't press that often. He also has a very annoying tendency to just jog back if the opposition get in behind him. I'll never forget the time that Fred had to race back from the other side of the field, past Scott, to actually win the ball back, while Scott just casually jogged back while ball-watching.

Like I said, he is capable of being high energy at times, so maybe we'll see more of that if he joins another club. One thing I've always suspected is that Scott might step up quite a bit if he joins a 'lesser' team where he feels he has to take on more responsibility to make things happen. He's shown it in small periods here and there for us, but certainly never consistently.
Totally agree on all this. Not sure where to look but would be interesting to see what his average KM covered per match looks like in one of the seasons he regularly played

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He’s one of the only players I see that actively makes himself unavailable for the pass for most of the game.

If there’s stats for his distance covered, I’ll bet at least one third of it is from him running towards an opposing player so his teammates can’t pass to him.

He’s an utter waste of space in the squad and the sooner we rid of him the better.

Woziak

As I said, it depends on the sales, since we are hamstrung not by our cash reserves but FFP/FSP limit. McTominay sale would be pure profit as hes an academy product (book value =0), so 25-30m for him would cover the amortized fee+wage of a 60-70m signing for a couple of years.

Our striker signing is accounted for in our original budget (~ 100m) this summer. We've spent about half of that on Mount, hence we are trying to negotiate a 50m fee or below with Atalanta for Hojlund.
Budget is BS like last summer, real issue is actual cash and his we use it, we paid for Mount on term 5 years at £11m, people think after reading the last quarter that there is £73m cash reserves plus a rolling credit card with £260m extra for transfer fees. What they don’t realise is the club has a wage bill of about £325m per year even with reductions so that’s £27m from cash reserves for wages just this month plus we have agreed amortised fees that need to be paid for transfers which were previously agreed, transfers like ; L Martinez, Casemiro and Antony, plush Previous seasons Sancho, Maguire, Varane. The club owed over £300m in amortised transfer fees which is probably an additional £80m this summer, something that the revolving credit card will be used for, saddling the club with more debt.

If the club had been sold and the club debt plus amortised transfer debt been paid, a new owner really could have spent £300m easily without sales because the turnover of £640m would have allowed sone creativity with the new FSP rule, the club got fined €300,000 because no money was invested by our owners into the club over 3 years so we showered an small operating loss even with the Covid rule adjustments.

It really looks like Onana is being held up because Inter are more desperate than us and want cash up front or at worst in 2 instalments, which is probably what the compromise will be €50m plus €5m add on but the €50m paid in two €25m instalments, one now and one next summer. Think this will be sorted today or tomorrow. It also looks like ETH/JM are being given control to weal and deal throughout the summer and have started aggressively, the Saudi new money could also help immeasurably.

Assuming no takeover this summer, however a best case scenario could be the following ;

Player Sales and Releases ;
David De G - No Fee £375k wage reduced
P Jones - No Fee £120k wage reduced
A Tuanzebe No Fee. £60k wage reduced
Z Iqbal - £850k. £10k wage reduced
E Laird. - £750k. £5k. Wage reduced
W Weghorst - LE. £80k wage reduced
J Butland. - LE. £25k wage reduced
M Sabitzer. -LE. £125k wage reduced

Sales that should happen ;

A Teles -£15m Saudi. £100k wage reduced
A Elanga - £20m PL £25k wage reduced
Fred -£15/20m PL £120k wage reduction
D Henderson £20m £120k wage reduction
M Jurado £2.5m. £5k wage reduction
E Bailey. Free. £120k wage reduction

Sales that might happen ;

S Mctominay - £30m. £60k wage reduction
H Maguire. - £30m. £200 k wage reduction
H Mejbri - £20m. £25k wage reduction
A Diallo. - £30m. £25k wage reduction
AWB - £30m. £100k wage reduction
DVB - £15m. £120k wage reduction
J Sancho - £50m. £350k wage reduction

We might sell all in ‘should sell category’ and miraculously raise £70m however with Jurado, Henderson and Elanga all being products of our academy and represent net transfer profit of £42m, this could increase our transfer budget by £200m due to the way this figure can be amortised. Potentially the club could spend £300m bit the reality is they just don’t have the cash to do so!

ETH and United best option is to sell all from the ‘should sell category’ and make sure they get at least half the cash upfront and half in payment terms and then hope that they sell 2 players from ‘the might sell list’ with buyers who pay cash upfront.

If West Ham give us £50/60m cash for Maguire and Mctominay, the club might then have about £200m working capital to potentially complete £250-300m of actual transfers, whilst at the same time leav about £150m on the credit card and £50m in cash reserves to pay the monthly bills.

A Summer window ; A Onana, J Frimpong, M Mount, D Tadic/J Felix, R Hojlund, S Amrabat might not be so bad plus we might have a shock at the end of the summer like Casemiro was last year ?

I Add the caveat if this actually is happening then the club is definitely being sold, if we just complete 3 transfers and a free here and there then the Glazers are staying 1 more year ?

Last edited:

jeepers

We don’t need him since Leeds has been relegated. He is not a proper backup to Case. I would rather one of Mainoo or Megbri takes his minutes in the upcoming season.

Unfortunately, why would any PL team want to spend 25-30m for him, apart from his homegrown status, when there are other midfielders at his level or higher going for lower prices? I really hope we can sell Maguire, McFred, Henderson and Telles this window.

Red Rash

We don’t need him since Leeds has been relegated. He is not a proper backup to Case. I would rather one of Mainoo or Megbri takes his minutes in the upcoming season.

Unfortunately, why would any PL team want to spend 25-30m for him, apart from his homegrown status, when there are other midfielders at his level or higher going for lower prices? I really hope we can sell Maguire, McFred, Henderson and Telles this window.
I understand your point and agree that I don't think McTominay is a very good player at all but he was pretty highly rated by Mourinho and Solskjaer. Even ETH has given him a decent amount of game time.

Sometimes fans miss something that managers see and I wouldn't be surprised if a mid table club thought McTominay could do a good job for them.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel

Agree but he scores goals for an in form international team so fingers crossed

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

Bit like Henderson. Great winning mentality and a very good pro/athlete just not classy enough for a very top team. These lads should have been sold a contract ago for max profit, Williams and Tuanzebe too. Then again the glazers probably wouldn’t have got anyone better in, so there is that…

PoTMS

We should be getting 40m considering Liverpool are getting that for their past-it OAP Fabinho.

MUFC OK

Amrabat was out McT replacement and now Liverpool are swooping in to sign him so Scott will stay.

Very similar to how KMJ was Maguire replacement, everyone knew we were interested but we didn’t put money on the table.

Now we are stuck with two players who are not good enough and we fail once again to elevate the quality of the squad. I give up.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Amrabat was out McT replacement and now Liverpool are swooping in to sign him so Scott will stay.

Very similar to how KMJ was Maguire replacement, everyone knew we were interested but we didn’t put money on the table.

Now we are stuck with two players who are not good enough and we fail once again to elevate the quality of the squad. I give up.
MUFC NOT OK?

edgecutter

We should be getting 40m considering Liverpool are getting that for their past-it OAP Fabinho.
Explain to me why we should get 40 million for Scott? Fabinho has been a superb player throughout his career and scott has been average at best. We should take what we can get for Scott, he isn't good enough to keep around.

Zed is not dead

He’s not a 6 being asked to play as a 6. His best games have always been bursting forward into the box
The more I think of it, the more he reminds me of Fellaini. A peculiar player, but an absolute menace in an offensive role.
Tall, powerful, great striking quality. And it comes as no surprise that some of his best games came when he played further upfront.

I’m not saying McTominay is a player we should absolutely keep, but he wouldn’t useless if we start using his strengths instead of trying him as a DM.

And not being good enough for United doesn’t mean he’s trash and we should accept any offer that comes. I reckon he’d have a great time in any other PL team that plays him to his strength

Reactions: golden_blunder

Red00012

There’s nothing to suggest we were interested only the media creating stories

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He’s not a 6 being asked to play as a 6. His best games have always been bursting forward into the box
Other than Leeds who were ridiculously open, is this really true? What other games has he had for us where he was good in this role?

I'm not saying he's not, but I just don't remember any. He does seem to often play that role for Scotland and does well there but I'm struggling to remember many for us. It's just something that regularly gets said and people seem to take it as fact.

croadyman

All our own fault for paying mediocrity too much so it's no wonder they don't wanna leave

Based Adnan

All our own fault for paying mediocrity too much so it's no wonder they don't wanna leave
McTominay earns 70-80k a week. He'll get a payrise anywhere he goes.

I'd imagine we'll begin to see some movement now that West Ham have got the funds from the Rice sale. There's been nothing to indicate McTominay doesn't want to leave. Infact reports towards the end of last season said the opposite.

Crimson King

Other than Leeds who were ridiculously open, is this really true? What other games has he had for us where he was good in this role?

I'm not saying he's not, but I just don't remember any. He does seem to often play that role for Scotland and does well there but I'm struggling to remember many for us. It's just something that regularly gets said and people seem to take it as fact.
I think it is true, he has a decent knack for scoring goals. Definitely more of a box-to-box #8, than a defensive #6. I don't think he's technically good enough to do it in a team that wants to dominate games and will need to break down deep defenses, more often than not.

I think he'd actually do well in a team like this current West Ham, as long as he's not the midfielder who has the most defensive responsibility. A lot has been made of Rice's stats around carrying the ball, but if you dig into that deeper it's normally carrying it into space, from deeper positions. I'm sure McT could put do a similar job in a team like that.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It’s a case of sell before we can buy for those sort of squad options, and we are crap at selling.

Judas

Open to offers

Mystic Meg, I thought you were dead?

Imagine being so led on and emotionally manipulated by shite transfer rumours on the internet. You poor soul.

croadyman

McTominay earns 70-80k a week. He'll get a payrise anywhere he goes.

I'd imagine we'll begin to see some movement now that West Ham have got the funds from the Rice sale. There's been nothing to indicate McTominay doesn't want to leave. Infact reports towards the end of last season said the opposite.
Wasn't necessarily referring to him but there are some who it definitely applies to

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's at least 50% as good as Rice.
£120m * 0.5 = £60m is a fair value of McTominy

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Playing out of position doesn’t explain his cowardness and hiding away from the ball.

It’s ironic that you’re defending him when he’s basically doing a Lindelof in midfield.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Playing out of position doesn’t explain his cowardness and hiding away from the ball.

It’s ironic that you’re defending him when he’s basically doing a Lindelof in midfield.
Yet most of the forum think he’s good enough backup. Go figure

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I personally think getting rid of McTominay would be a mistake. I rate him. Just not as a #6. But that's just it. In this squad it seems that he plays when Cassemiro can't, not in the same team. I'd like to see him as a #8 when Cassermiro is starting along with him and I think we will see a completely different player...

Status
Not open for further replies.