Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

gajender

I doubt he will go. He strikes me a person who is perfectly happy with being backup player in Man Utd.
We can't be certain about that last year was the only year in a long while where he didn't get any significant minutes at United and he was injured a lot as well , assuming we get another midfielder then It would be first time that Mctominay might find himself really struggling for Minutes since breaking through he might have to factor that in any decision he makes .

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He won't go unless we sign another midfielder that can cover for Casemiro. I hope we do, but somehow doubtful.
I think he will go and then we will replace with Amrabat. I don't see us being able to tie down a DM without him leaving first.

Tarrou

He won't go unless we sign another midfielder that can cover for Casemiro. I hope we do, but somehow doubtful.
it would make so much sense to sell Scott and get someone like Amrabat for roughly the same amount

in the Woody days I'd have said no chance but under this new team and ETH at the helm it seems somewhat possible

We need an rvn

Could it be ETH thinks Mainoo might be ready to step up more this season? It's not like McT was a starter each week.

That being said, probably a season too soon and I'm not sure if Mainoo is an attacking or defensive minded midfielder either to be honest

BuzzKillington

I doubt he will go. He strikes me a person who is perfectly happy with being backup player in Man Utd.
This kind of statement implies that this is an unusual or feckless choice. He’s a lifelong United fan and has been at the club for years. If you were offered the chance tomorrow of being first choice for West Ham or back up for us, which would you choose?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This kind of statement implies that this is an unusual or feckless choice. He’s a lifelong United fan and has been at the club for years. If you were offered the chance tomorrow of being first choice for West Ham or back up for us, which would you choose?
That is exactly what i meant. He is in his boyhood club (which is also a giant club). So, i think that he is happy with that and is not thinking about leaving.

What would i do? If i was 30 or older then i would stay as backup. But if i was in prime age (like he is), it would depend on my status. Being in rotation is one thing and being backup of backup is another thing. Eriksen, Lindelof or Garnacho are example of rotation players who will play more or less every game (from the start or from the bench). McT is low in pecking order so he will play very little next year and in years to come.
It is up to certain player's ambition.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think he will go and then we will replace with Amrabat. I don't see us being able to tie down a DM without him leaving first.
it would make so much sense to sell Scott and get someone like Amrabat for roughly the same amount

in the Woody days I'd have said no chance but under this new team and ETH at the helm it seems somewhat possible
I think it's more likely that due to FFP he will go first and then we will sign another midfielder, I cant see any great need to keep him other than numbers so getting rid asap is a must.
I like this way of thinking. I don't know much about Amrabat but I am all for getting rid of McTominay if we can replace him this window. I just meant we won't sell him unless there's a replacement as we basically have only attacking midfielders (if Casemiro is out).

Could it be ETH thinks Mainoo might be ready to step up more this season? It's not like McT was a starter each week.

That being said, probably a season too soon and I'm not sure if Mainoo is an attacking or defensive minded midfielder either to be honest
I don't think Mainoo is anywhere close to being any serious player.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That is exactly what i meant. He is in his boyhood club (which is also a giant club). So, i think that he is happy with that and is not thinking about leaving.

What would i do? If i was 30 or older then i would stay as backup. But if i was in prime age (like he is), it would depend on my status. Being in rotation is one thing and being backup of backup is another thing. Eriksen, Lindelof or Garnacho are example of rotation players who will play more or less every game (from the start or from the bench). McT is low in pecking order so he will play very little next year and in years to come.
It is up to certain player's ambition.
Thing is he knows he will get picked for Scotland no matter which team he plays for and how often. It will be up to ETH. If he has his eye on another player and we need to sell he is disposable.

tomaldinho1

We are very light in the CMs so don't think we'll sell unless we bring someone in - I still think there are relative bargains out there for squad players (JWP, Lavia at Soton for example albeit the latter means paying City indirectly, Soucek, Amrabat, Ndidi all have 1 year left on their deals). We don't have to sign another world class player if there isn't one available but we can upgrade our squad in general. Casemiro needs better cover, we can definitely upgrade on McT for a realtively low fee.

InfiniteBoredom

25+5m (easily achievable add-ons) should be acceptable even though we could’ve 5-10m more. We need cover for Casemiro though, and Amrabat aint it.

Castia

Would be nice if we generated £45-50m from McTominay and Fred. Put £50m into a decent alternative to Casamiro and with Mount already signed we should be fine.

Get rid of those 2 and get Lavia in

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If he isn't a Scottish man and comes from Vienna his price tag would be around 70 mil and he'd be dubbed the new Verratti. I blame tourism for adding a layer of biased complexity when it comes into popular places for vacations. Inter got Onana for free also because of tourism.

Eplel

If he isn't a Scottish man and comes from Vienna his price tag would be around 70 mil and he'd be dubbed the new Verratti. I blame tourism for adding a layer of biased complexity when it comes into popular places for vacations. Inter got Onana for free also because of tourism.
That's bollocks.

He's been terrible for us, consistently one of our worst players when he's in (apart from those 3 games/season that people like to rave about)

croadyman

If we are truly in a beggar can’t be chooser situation then I’d take Skipp or Hojberg from Spurs, there are rumors that Real might sell Tchouameni to fund Mbappe though and that would be my pick, if stars aligned.
No way can we afford Tchouameni

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think he’ll go if he’s told he’s falling down the pecking order. He’ll surely get a raise at West Ham and be a more important player to them. Living in London and a 4/5 year deal when he’s arguably worth the most he ever will be. He seems to be the type to want to test himself but his game just doesn’t suit a possession based side. He’ll be good on the counter against the big sides and being a nuisance in the box during set pieces. I can see how this makes sense for all parties.

InfiniteBoredom

No way can we afford Tchouameni
We easily can, if we manage £50m from Mcfred sale, just as we would find the money if De Jong becomes available tomorrow. Assuming a £65m fee and £10m wage, the McTominay sale alone can cover the amortization for this year.

glasgow 21

That's bollocks.

He's been terrible for us, consistently one of our worst players when he's in (apart from those 3 games/season that people like to rave about)
Spot on, Somewhere somehow folk view on McTominay is clouded with romanticism. Anyone watching in him in our team over the years seen the majority of the time he wouldn't/ refused to play a 15 yard pass to someone who would be under pressure. Constantly playing balls to sideways or backwards. We generally were just happy to have him on the park in some games for height on corner kicks. Now we can do a minor isolation youtube clip and take his best bits but he isn't what United need. We need to sell to fund what we desperately need and that time is now as he should bring a reasonable fee from a team like West Ham.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If he isn't Scottish and our academy product, he would be playing in Championship at best.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Anything over 15m we should bite hands, McT has been dross and shouldn't even be considered as backup. His positional sense as a no6 is absolutely terrible along with nonexistent passing skills and general passivity. He only plays as a 6 because he's built like MMA fighter but that is quite a misconception for ETH if he thinks he could do a job there. The drop in quality is just too huge.

If I was United I would try to sell him, for the 15-20mil we could get some ageing, last year of contract, yet still reliable player in Case's position from Italy/Spain maybe. Or even a smart loan and give the no2/no3 position to Hannibal. Sure he's not exactly ready to be a 100% replacement for Case but his tenacity and drive should give him, and overall loads of talent should improve him very quickly if he gets chance.

If he fails to impress, we would still have that smart loan (15-20 mil) player and 4th choice Mainoo. (For one position should be enough cover)

croadyman

We easily can, if we manage £50m from Mcfred sale, just as we would find the money if De Jong becomes available tomorrow. Assuming a £65m fee and £10m wage, the McTominay sale alone can cover the amortization for this year.
Could we get him for £65m,remember we still have to bring in a striker as well

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
If you’re blind and have watched him play football maybe. He’s one of the worst player I’ve ever seen play for us and him making it through our academy really makes me question our coaches and scouts.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If you’re blind and have watched him play football maybe. He’s one of the worst player I’ve ever seen play for us and him making it through our academy really makes me question our coaches and scouts.
McTominay was Jose's project to show people he is PRO academy.

Dorris

Yeh maybe you’re right and they’re all wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.