g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oranges038

They just sold Rice for stupid money. So lets not sell them McTominay cheap.

I would rather we kept him but if he want to go and West Ham want him they should pay up. When it comes to price let me say that McTominay is not worse than Rice. Not whatsoever. I know that we wouldn't get near £100m because of stupid Rice valuation but he should not go cheap.
He's nowhere near as good as Rice. 30m would be plenty for him, he's not even anywhere near as good as Mount and Utd paid 50m for him.

McT just needs to go, we've seen enough of him to know he's just not good enough for Utd. He's a good lad and a good pro, but his time here is up.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'll be sad to see him go, I really like him. Can imagine he wants a lot more game time though and has an important role for us in the national side too.

I'd much rather keep him for depth and shift others to generate sales money, but oh well :(

padzilla

Hipster
He would have been shipped out to Middlesboro years ago if Fergie was still in charge.

Good lad with a good attitude but at this stage we know he's not going to be anything more than a fringe player.

JPB

He would have been shipped out to Middlesboro years ago if Fergie was still in charge.

Good lad with a good attitude but at this stage we know he's not going to be anything more than a fringe player.
He'd be having dinner twice a week at Fergies house if he was still in charge.

Marcus

He is a box to box player with an incredible engine, strength and shot. However, he is not the guy to have in midfield if the idea is to retain possession and control. We should not be selling him on the cheap, that's for sure.

Borussia Teeth

Nobody is saying £100m Im just saying £30m is too cheap. He's a Mid who can score goals, has been MOTM for Man UTD, Prem proven. Scotland International - £50m sounds about right to me.
If we overvalue him we'll be stuck with him. See Darmian and Rojo

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Nobody is saying £100m Im just saying £30m is too cheap. He's a Mid who can score goals, has been MOTM for Man UTD, Prem proven. Scotland International - £50m sounds about right to me.
There isn’t a club in the world that will pay £50 million for him though.

Surely It’s better to sell him now for £25-£30 million and use that money to buy someone that is good enough for Manchester United.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
People need to stop comparing X player and Y player on ability alone.

Even if it was true that McT was on a level with Rice (he's not), transfer fees are about more than that.

West Ham knew several big clubs were in the mix, they also made it abundantly clear he's the best player in their team and were desperate to keep hold.

Neither of this is true in the case of McT. It's well known that he is on the fringes here, that we are looking to bring in better quality players and we don't have elite clubs fighting over him.

Whilst I agree some crazy fees out there, it's pretty much dictated by the situation as a whole. If we stick a 50 million pound price on him, I just can't imagine we will have a taker.

AndySmith1990

People need to stop comparing X player and Y player on ability alone.

Even if it was true that McT was on a level with Rice (he's not), transfer fees are about more than that.

West Ham knew several big clubs were in the mix, they also made it abundantly clear he's the best player in their team and were desperate to keep hold.

Neither of this is true in the case of McT. It's well known that he is on the fringes here, that we are looking to bring in better quality players and we don't have elite clubs fighting over him.

Whilst I agree some crazy fees out there, it's pretty much dictated by the situation as a whole. If we stick a 50 million pound price on him, I just can't imagine we will have a taker.
Finally a sensible take on a players valuation, rather than the simplistic nonsense of player X = n therefore player Y = n/2

90 + 5min

Incredible!

Explain how Rice had Man City and Arsenal chasing him, yet neither of those clubs were interested in Mctominay?
If ManCIty chased and wanted him, he would go there. Lets be clear about that. Why would ManCity be intrested in him in the first place? They got great midfield. Gundogan left but they got in excellent and underated Kovacic. Rice would just be another Kalvin Philips if he went there.

He's nowhere near as good as Rice. 30m would be plenty for him, he's not even anywhere near as good as Mount and Utd paid 50m for him.

McT just needs to go, we've seen enough of him to know he's just not good enough for Utd. He's a good lad and a good pro, but his time here is up.
I'm not saying that he is better than Mount. Neither is Rice. I do stand by saying that he isn't worse than Rice.

What I'm saying also is that if West Ham can get that stupid amount for a player we can get stupid amount money for McTominay. Specialy if West Ham wants him.

Oranges038

If ManCIty chased and wanted him, he would go there. Lets be clear about that. Why would ManCity be intrested in him in the first place? They got great midfield. Gundogan left but they got in excellent and underated Kovacic. Rice would just be another Kalvin Philips if he went there.

I'm not saying that he is better than Mount. Neither is Rice. I do stand by saying that he isn't worse than Rice.

What I'm saying also is that if West Ham can get that stupid amount for a player we can get stupid amount money for McTominay. Specialy if West Ham wants him.
Nonsense.

Rice is a much better player.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The issue is, if we don’t sell him this summer, his value will depreciate because I suspect he’s not going to play much.

Fox outside the box

He is a box to box player with an incredible engine, strength and shot. However, he is not the guy to have in midfield if the idea is to retain possession and control. We should not be selling him on the cheap, that's for sure.
I don't know why people struggle so much to understand this. He's a good player. For a mid table ish team, he's a very good player.

There's a huge area of grey inbetween 'rubbish' and 'title winning starting midfielder for Manchester United'.

So many people just seem incapable of seeing that middle bit. It's all or nothing, a player is either a donkey or world class.

It's always a shame to lose an academy lad, especially when they've been in and around the first team at least and if Scott leaves, he'll leave having made a pretty important contribution to some decent seasons and matches. He's been a part of a midfield that saw City off multiple times under Solskjaer and from everything I've heard, he's got an exceptional attitude and professionalism, something a lot of fans won't consider because they can't really see it but will be a huge thing to managers and the team overall. I don't understand the complete apathy towards him.

The way so many fans treat our players is such a shame. You can be fair and reasonable without having to slag them off, get personal etc but it's something we really struggle with and I've seen reference to players really struggling with this. Cleverly I believe was one who got really affected by it.

It's not how we should be, it's not what the club is about at all. We're not City or Chelsea but we'll slowly become them, the more fans act like this and especially as we start to lose people like Fergie from in and around the club itself.

If we wanted to buy McTominay from a club like Palace he'd be costing £35 mill+. His age, profile, experience and background alone push him up to there. If we do sell then I hope we do what we can to command a decent fee whilst not pricing him out of a move. I think if a club like West Ham picks him up for around £30 mill then they've got a real bargain there.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s a much much better passer, on a different planet. He’s far more intelligent in his play. He’s a leader. He consistently gets goals and assists in a crap team. He isn’t a walking yellow card. McT runs around hiding from the ball when his teammates need to relive pressure or move it around, he constantly gives cheap fouls away and occasionally gets on the end of things around the box. Not a Utd player in anything but physicality.
JWP is a better passer, yes. He gets his G/A from dead ball situations - McTominay actually has the much higher xG in open play. Scott McTominay hides from the ball but he’s actually a viable player in open play, especially off the ball where Ward-Prowse is a total non-entity.

I am about as far as you can get from a McTominay fan, but he certainly has his strengths and I would argue he is a better player than Ward-Prowse.

GMoore23

He'd be having dinner twice a week at Fergies house if he was still in charge.
Probably,

It was Fergie who pushed Mourinho to give him playing time.
Even when we won the League Cup, he was in Mourinho's ear about McTominay as he walked up the steps for the trophy. :lol: :lol:

Fabio Rochemback

£30m is absolutely fine. Yeah some clubs might be able to squeeze out an extra £3-4m but we're not really in the position to be playing that game at the moment.

romufc

West Ham shown interest but they really need to get a move on, I suspect they'll need 2/3 signings to replace Rice.

Marcelinho87

feck me, talk about rose tinted... Mctominay is turd, never seen a player so shy of the ball, he actively hides from it every game.

He's worth a bag of brass buttons and we should snap the hands of anybody offering 30m

Castia

Let’s be real we aren’t turning down 30m that would be a great deal for us.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Still no bids in for him, come to think of it why don't clubs want our fringe players!?

Hackman2210

Still no bids in for him, come to think of it why don't clubs want our fringe players!?
Because the longer they wait they cheaper we will sell and they wont have to cover the wage bill for preseason. Maguire, McT, Fred all solid pros - they can just step straight into most mid table sides. Thats why no offers.......

Roboc7

His value is at its peak now, should easily be able to get 30m for him. His performances are rarely better than mediocre and he seems to have been designated as Casemiro’s deputy despite not being very good in that position.

Club needs to have the confidence and competence to sell him and bring in someone better. I suspect we’ll keep him, play him even less than last season and then sell on the cheap next summer.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't know why people struggle so much to understand this. He's a good player. For a mid table ish team, he's a very good player.

There's a huge area of grey inbetween 'rubbish' and 'title winning starting midfielder for Manchester United'.

So many people just seem incapable of seeing that middle bit. It's all or nothing, a player is either a donkey or world class.
He is potentially a very good player for a mid-table team. But the word 'potentially' is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

Scott has had the occasional period where he's really stepped up and looked like a good player. But those periods are few and far between. A month at the beginning of this season. A month after Rangnick took over. The occasional short patch here and there. The only time he's really looked quite good for a decent period of time was in the latter part of 18/19 and start of 19/20. That was the only time there was a good 4-5 month period (broken up with the offseason) where he was looking like he could become a 'very good player' even for a midtable team. He was getting on the ball, showing more incisive passing, doing quite well defensively. All the key aspects that a midfielder has to bring.

The rest of the time he manages to constantly position himself so teammates can't pass him the ball, when he does get on the ball he plays short basic passes (and still manages to give the ball away a lot), when the opposition get in behind him he just lazily jogs back, and when the opposition is in front of him he gives away too many stupid fouls. He, like VDB and Sabitzer have also done for us recently, does a Mr Invisible impression in the midfield. The exact opposite of what you want the heartbeat of your team to be doing. And while he does have a good shot on him, he's never scored more than four goals in a PL season so it's not like he's someone who can guarantee a good amount of goals. If that is the way he plays for the rest of his career he will never be a 'very good player' for even a team at the bottom of the league, let alone mid-table.

Now my hope is that he just struggled with the pressure of Man Utd, and that when he moves to a lesser team he'll feel the need to dominate and make things happen himself. He has shown the ability on occasion. But some of the posts in the last few pages of this thread have significantly over-rated the level that he currently is.

JPB

Probably,

It was Fergie who pushed Mourinho to give him playing time.
Even when we won the League Cup, he was in Mourinho's ear about McTominay as he walked up the steps for the trophy. :lol: :lol:
That and he's Scottish. Fletcher used to be his favourite pet. :lol:

Borninthe80ts

In know this will be an unpopular opinion in general, but I think when everything shakes out there’s a place in the squad for him.

He’s a better football player than many give him credit for, and has a decent passing range. His main issue is if you ask him to take a role not suitable for his skill set. His first touch isn’t always on point so can lead to him reaching and reacting rather than stepping onto the ball. When he plays as a box to box option he can be effective. Upsets the opposition, can play a pass, and gets goals. He has to of course play with some who can sweep behind, and that can carry next to him.

Also know this doesn’t matter to some but I think he matches the personality ethos we seem to be building here. And coming through the system I believe he can help set the tone for those that come into the team. Normally dislike these phrases but he knows the United way. Ferguson used to keep players like this in the squad if I’m not mistaken.

Irwin99

Obviously Rice is a better player with world class potential but West Ham have done pretty well out of this if they can shift Rice for 100 million and buy McTominay for 30. Slightly different profile in terms of what they excel at but its very good business from West Ham if it happens.

Borninthe80ts

Yeah I think we would have to spend something similar for a similar profile player to replace him so why not save time, but yeah maybe he wants to go.

OrcaFat

We need to move this boy on. It will be a favour to him as well as being essential squad management for us.

I like him. I think he is half decent and has played some very good games for us but, in terms of the fee, I am honestly wondering, from a business as well as sporting point of view, whether there is really a number below which we should hang onto him. My feeling is that he should be allowed to go for free rather than keep him hanging around the place; if we can get a fee, great, but I wouldn’t expect more than about £25m.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yeah, this.

He has some qualities, he's just not a DM!
All of his qualities just don't mesh for any sort of top level team. Needs to play in a worse side that sets up and asks different things of their midfielders. He's a fecking abysmal DM though that just showed how outdated Ole was for thinking he could be one just because he's a unit.

Ironically think he'd have been regarded much higher in an older era where 442 was prevalent and midfielders weren't asked to be nearly as neat with the ball and played in more space.

Redstain

Morgan Gibbs white did nothing of note at Wolves and went for £42 million. Mctomminay has played in and around the first team and is a national for his country. Club should ask for a minimum of 35-40 Million. Henderson and Mctomminay should be relatively easy to negotiate a decent fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.