g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrcaFat

All of his qualities just don't mesh for any sort of top level team. Needs to play in a worse side that sets up and asks different things of their midfielders. He's a fecking abysmal DM though that just showed how outdated Ole was for thinking he could be one just because he's a unit.

Ironically think he'd have been regarded much higher in an older era where 442 was prevalent and midfielders weren't asked to be nearly as neat with the ball and played in more space.
Ole didn’t have much choice but to play him and Fred. It was bad but it was the least bad option.

McT has some of the attributes to be a good no6. He is strong, has a big heart, is good in the air. He’s played CB with reasonable success. The way he runs forward with the ball from deep areas and scores goals reminded me of Yaya Toure. Unfortunately, he hasn’t been able to develop positional sense or his basic technique and, of course, isn’t fit to lace Toure’s boots.

He can still have a good career somewhere. As a no8.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
The number of PL clubs outside the top 7 that have ever paid £30m for a player is actually pretty small. Clubs like Palace, Brentford, Fulham, Bournemouth, Burnley, Sheffield United, etc have never done it. Clubs in this kind of category that stretch to that level for a transfer are only going to do it for a young player they perceive to have big upside, like Brighton just did with Joao Pedro or Forest did last summer for Gibbs-White (who was still only £25m before add ons). Many of these clubs could use McTominay but they aren't paying £30m for the privilege, its just not realistic.

That really leaves a very small set of somewhat wealthier clubs, basically West Ham, Everton, Wolves, and Villa. But Wolves shops in different markets, Everton is in financial hell, Villa is already set in midfield, and West Ham would be crazy to pair Soucek (a very physical central midfielder who is allergic to the ball, hides from it constantly, and excels most in aerial duels) with McTominay (basically the exact same profile).

If United want to get serious about moving him on, then they need to shop him to Forest or Brentford for something like £15-20m. Talking about £30-40m valuations is pointless and will end up with him remaining in the side.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Ole didn’t have much choice but to play him and Fred. It was bad but it was the least bad option.

McT has some of the attributes to be a good no6. He is strong, has a big heart, is good in the air. He’s played CB with reasonable success. The way he runs forward with the ball from deep areas and scores goals reminded me of Yaya Toure. Unfortunately, he hasn’t been able to develop positional sense or his basic technique and, of course, isn’t fit to lace Toure’s boots.

He can still have a good career somewhere. As a no8.
The positional sense slaughters his ability to play deep. Watching him and then watching an artist like Case shield the back 4 is night and day. Which is why I say yeah he needs to be an 8 that is asked to sort of rampage around and arrive in the box for a less technical team.

E-mal

Huh. You must be trolling.
No,I am not
I have watched Rice play and am not convinced by his qualities. He is mostly hype and you will see it when he plays for Arsenal. They will be dropping in quality replacing Party with Rice and I believe West ham will not be loosing much replacing Rice with Scott.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We should be able to get £35m+ for him. His age, experience, and wage should be good fit to most mid table range PL clubs.

Longlivekeano

30m pounds up front
+5 m pounds add on for EPL survival
+5 m pounds for Europa League qualif
+15 pounds for Champ LG qualif

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If we can get 35-40 mil you can consider swapping him + 10-15 mil for Mount. Which is a great deal

massey

No,I am not
I have watched Rice play and am not convinced by his qualities. He is mostly hype and you will see it when he plays for Arsenal. They will be dropping in quality replacing Party with Rice and I believe West ham will not be loosing much replacing Rice with Scott.
Sorry but rice is a much better player than Scott,one is a player who breaks up play and brings it out from the back and the other is a hide and seek champion who occasionally gets on the score sheet in his best position further up midfield.

Red00012

He’s going nowhere. It’ll be Fred that will be left go.
We need a squad also this isn’t FM

Laurencio

Fred is a much better player than McT, and fits the squad profile better. Has better movement, technically superior and has played with Casemiro for years. I'd rather keep him than McT.

OleGunnar20

I'd also much rather keep Fred than McTom. He seems a good lad and all but the time to move on has coke for all parties. He isn't getting near this midfield and would be wasting his career here.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Id say f*ck squad numbers, sell first chance possible & use our reserves. Whats possible now isnt possible next season

Red00012

Fred is a much better player than McT, and fits the squad profile better. Has better movement, technically superior and has played with Casemiro for years. I'd rather keep him than McT.
Fred has a year left in his contract it’s time to move him on. Giving him another contract would be madness

Trex

I'd also much rather keep Fred than McTom. He seems a good lad and all but the time to move on has coke for all parties. He isn't getting near this midfield and would be wasting his career here.
Over the course of a season Fred will have his uses. But he's entering the final year of his contract. We should cash out. Mctominay isn't suited to the holding midfield role and there really isn't any place for him further forward. Sell them both for around 50m buy Amrabat for around 30m and give Kobe a shot.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Morgan Gibbs white did nothing of note at Wolves and went for £42 million. Mctomminay has played in and around the first team and is a national for his country. Club should ask for a minimum of 35-40 Million. Henderson and Mctomminay should be relatively easy to negotiate a decent fee.
The answer as is always so obviously the case - the wage difference. Gibbs White was £25m upfront + his basic salary for a 5 year deal very likely comes to far less of an overall package than McTominay for £20m + his salary for a 5 year deal.

It’ll be the exact same issue for players like Telles, Bailly, etc.

Another point which one journalist raised in the point of Maguire — a lot of these players will actually have their salaries shoot back up if they had (most likely a chunk of them do) clauses in their contracts that increase salary should the club make CL football, which we of course did.

GazTheLegend

This.
However, knowing Football Manager does help with the following:
Fred does NOT count as a homegrown player for squad registration purposes
Scott McTominay DOES count as a homegrown player for squad registration purposes.

Essentially, the 8 homegrown spots for players over 21 mean that McTominay is worth keeping as one of the 8. Mason Mount, Dean Henderson, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Luke Shaw, Wan-Bissaka, and Harry Maguire are the other 7 likely to make up the other spots. Our squad is insanely bloated and we don't have a load of Saudi feeder clubs taking our names. It's part of why de Gea was let go, I expect, because Onana will become one of the 17 players we're allowed.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The number of PL clubs outside the top 7 that have ever paid £30m for a player is actually pretty small. Clubs like Palace, Brentford, Fulham, Bournemouth, Burnley, Sheffield United, etc have never done it. Clubs in this kind of category that stretch to that level for a transfer are only going to do it for a young player they perceive to have big upside, like Brighton just did with Joao Pedro or Forest did last summer for Gibbs-White (who was still only £25m before add ons). Many of these clubs could use McTominay but they aren't paying £30m for the privilege, its just not realistic.

That really leaves a very small set of somewhat wealthier clubs, basically West Ham, Everton, Wolves, and Villa. But Wolves shops in different markets, Everton is in financial hell, Villa is already set in midfield, and West Ham would be crazy to pair Soucek (a very physical central midfielder who is allergic to the ball, hides from it constantly, and excels most in aerial duels) with McTominay (basically the exact same profile).

If United want to get serious about moving him on, then they need to shop him to Forest or Brentford for something like £15-20m. Talking about £30-40m valuations is pointless and will end up with him remaining in the side.
Usually I’d agree but in this current market, I’d say at least £25m-£30m is what we should demand. Our usual hindrance to move on players is our excessive salaries (hello Maguire & Martial!) but iirc McT is one of the few players not on an inflated salary.

He’s dependable for a mid table club, a full international and can cover a couple of positions. But I agree with you ruling out a few clubs, which make sense. He’d suit clubs like West Ham, Everton to the tee and could help stabilise a promoted club in their first couple seasons back in the prem.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There is also of course, the reticence on the clubs part to let him leave. There has been a few murmurs from journalists stating that Hag sees McTominay as the youngest midfielder we have and doesn’t necessarily want to lose that profile (the sprightly young age of 26). If that’s the case, obviously that makes letting the player go a lot harder.

flappyjay

This.
However, knowing Football Manager does help with the following:
Fred does NOT count as a homegrown player for squad registration purposes
Scott McTominay DOES count as a homegrown player for squad registration purposes.

Essentially, the 8 homegrown spots for players over 21 mean that McTominay is worth keeping as one of the 8. Mason Mount, Dean Henderson, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Luke Shaw, Wan-Bissaka, and Harry Maguire are the other 7 likely to make up the other spots. Our squad is insanely bloated and we don't have a load of Saudi feeder clubs taking our names. It's part of why de Gea was let go, I expect, because Onana will become one of the 17 players we're allowed.
Dean Henderson will be sold. But I think Brandon williams might stay for the squad registration.

OleGunnar20

Over the course of a season Fred will have his uses. But he's entering the final year of his contract. We should cash out. Mctominay isn't suited to the holding midfield role and there really isn't any place for him further forward. Sell them both for around 50m buy Amrabat for around 30m and give Kobe a shot.
Works for me.

roseguy64

He hardly played from January till the end of the season. It made sense to take that offer.
Pretty sure McTominay was injured for a lot of the second half of last season. Our bench was bare of midfielders for a lot of that time. Lindelof had to play there once.

Roboc7

Williams needs to go for the sake of his career. He's behind 4 players at RB and LB and Fernandez might usurp him at LB.
We have Heaton, AWB, Shaw, Maguire, Mount, Sancho and Rashford (and Garnacho who doesn’t need to be registered). Those 8 plus up to 17 non homegrown players means squad is plenty big enough and no need to hang on to likes of Williams and Mctominay just for sake of an extra homegrown player.

Last edited:

flappyjay

We have Heaton, AWB, Shaw, Maguire, Mount, Sancho and Rashford (and Garnacho who doesn’t need to eve registered. Those 8 plus up to 17 non homegrown players means squad is plenty big enough and no need to hang on to likes of Williams and Mctominay just for sake of an extra homegrown player.
They player has to be over 21. You don't put an under 21 player to get around the rules.

Roboc7

They player has to be over 21. You don't put an under 21 player to get around the rules.
It’s not getting around rules people just misunderstand them. You can have 17 non homegrown players, then up to 8 homegrown to total 25. Wolves only had 3 or 4 homegrown players last season, you don’t have to have 8.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It’s not getting around rules people just misunderstand them. You can have 17 non homegrown players, then up to 8 homegrown to total 25. Wolves only had 3 or 4 homegrown players last season, you don’t have to have 8.
This.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I doubt he will go. He strikes me a person who is perfectly happy with being backup player in Man Utd.

Status
Not open for further replies.