Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I personally think getting rid of McTominay would be a mistake. I rate him. Just not as a #6. But that's just it. In this squad it seems that he plays when Cassemiro can't, not in the same team. I'd like to see him as a #8 when Cassermiro is starting along with him and I think we will see a completely different player...
We have Bruno Mount and Eriksen. We need a good backup 6 more than we need McTominay unfortunately.

CM

I personally think getting rid of McTominay would be a mistake. I rate him. Just not as a #6. But that's just it. In this squad it seems that he plays when Cassemiro can't, not in the same team. I'd like to see him as a #8 when Cassermiro is starting along with him and I think we will see a completely different player...
McTominay's definitely better as an 8 than a 6 but that still doesn't make him good enough for us. It doesn't make sense to sit on a potential £30m+ asset so he can warm our bench whilst we're struggling with FFP. Now is definitely the right time to cash in.

Red 142

He's currently Utd's only midfielder other than Casemiro with some physicality. Even if you count defenders there aren't many.

If he was sold he'd have to be replaced with someone who can play as a 6 to either fill in for Cas, or come on alongside him late in games when Utd might be having to defend lots of set-pieces and high balls in to the box. One of those probably still should be signed even if McT stays.

MUFC OK

Mystic Meg, I thought you were dead?

Imagine being so led on and emotionally manipulated by shite transfer rumours on the internet. You poor soul.
You seem to have written a load of nonsense and failed to make a point. Actually quite impressive.

Glad we have level heads like you on here.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Why have we not proactively planned to sell him? What is wrong with us??

Feels like we’ll sell one of Fred or Scott but not both. Fred is 30, not homegrown and has the capacity to play like a competition winner at times. He also seems to have more concrete interest in him, so if I had to guess I’d imagine Scott hangs around as cover this season and goes next summer when his fee will still be basically the same.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Why have we not proactively planned to sell him? What is wrong with us??

Probably because we don't really want to sell him I'd imagine :lol:

Not that difficult to understand I wouldn't have thought.

-Supreme-

Nothing article. Clubs don’t need to be proactively informed that our squad players are up for sale and why do we want to do that when we will get low ball offers? They will simply come and seek clarity and price if interest is there

Ralaks

Well for starters it would be stupid negotiating tactics to leak we are desperate to sell a player to a team recently very loaded.

Castia

Well that’s why the squad is still full of overpaid mediocre shite. We don’t sell these players and then put them on bumper contracts instead of getting rid when it’s clear for everyone to see they aren’t good enough

Henderson, Telles, Bailey, Maguire, Williams, McTominay, Fred, Elanga, Pallestri, Martial

10 players that should be nowhere near the first team squad yet here we are with no plans to sell McTominay it’s laughable

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
We should be getting 40m considering Liverpool are getting that for their past-it OAP Fabinho.
We’re struggling to get even half that for Fred, and they’re both the same age :(.

Not sure about the wage discrepancy between them though. Seems like agent Stevie G is doing Liverpool a solid.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We should be getting 40m considering Liverpool are getting that for their past-it OAP Fabinho.
It’s genuinely mental how other clubs are getting mad fees for knackered players, yet we can’t get more than 6m for Fred.

Reyoji-Utd

We could easily sell both Fred and McTominay and get to about 40m-50m. We should put the feeler out for Fred to Saudi and get maybe 15m for him and McTominay cod still be valuable for certain teams with certain systems.

Use the money to buy another MF and maybe use one of the kids as squad option if not maybe go for 2 with one maybe Amrabat and another under the radar signing.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's certainly better than Soucek. I'd have thought West Ham are mainly looking at a DM now Rice has gone, but McTominay would get into their midfield either way and could at least cover at DM when needed like he does for us. A partnership of him and Soucek would still be pretty solid but lacking in passing ability.

Revaulx

Or we are happy to sell him but don’t want to tell the world we are desperate get rid of him. What good would that do?

Surely clubs in the market for players are capable of noting the number of starts potential targets are getting? They don’t need to see a “proactive” For Sale sign.

Revaulx

Let’s not get silly again, he might not suit our first team but there is plenty of premier league teams he could do a good job at
Are there though?

Even clubs that aren’t particularly flush with cash are moving away from the sort of counter attacking style that I agree Scott should flourish in. There’s a good reason why West Ham gets mentioned a lot on here…

Dan_F

It’s genuinely mental how other clubs are getting mad fees for knackered players, yet we can’t get more than 6m for Fred.
Fabinho is just a far bigger name. Fred has struggled to be a starter for a poor United team, Fabinho has been an important player in a team that’s won the champions league and premier league. It makes a difference.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Are there though?

Even clubs that aren’t particularly flush with cash are moving away from the sort of counter attacking style that I agree Scott should flourish in. There’s a good reason why West Ham gets mentioned a lot on here…
He could easily take Souceks role there
Bet Everton would love him, Brentford too
Sheff Utd would take him
Those are just off the top of my head, I bet quite a few PL would take him. The only question would be if they have the money.
The original post was just in response to “he’s only good enough for championship”. It’s claptrap

CM

Fabinho is just a far bigger name. Fred has struggled to be a starter for a poor United team, Fabinho has been an important player in a team that’s won the champions league and premier league. It makes a difference.
While this is true, there's just no way Fabinho should be going for £40m after the evidence of last season. He looked a busted flush. Great for Liverpool, of course, but they're very fortunate anyone is stupid enough to make that kind of bid for him.

Revaulx

He could easily take Souceks role there
Bet Everton would love him, Brentford too
Sheff Utd would take him
Those are just off the top of my head, I bet quite a few PL would take him. The only question would be if they have the money.
Everton certainly. Brentford maybe. I don’t know enough about Sheff Utd. But yes, the money might be an issue. He won’t be on ridiculous wages though, which helps.

The original post was just in response to “he’s only good enough for championship”. It’s claptrap
Absolutely!

A lot of his fiercest detractors (and also, weirdly, some of his most ardent fans) still insist on judging him as a DM, despite it being obvious to anyone who actually watches him play that he’s far more effective further forward.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Everton certainly. Brentford maybe. I don’t know enough about Sheff Utd. But yes, the money might be an issue. He won’t be on ridiculous wages though, which helps.

Absolutely!

A lot of his fiercest detractors (and also, weirdly, some of his most ardent fans) still insist on judging him as a DM, despite it being obvious to anyone who actually watches him play that he’s far more effective further forward.
Someone said it recently, it reminds us of Fellaini, horrible at DM but bloody useful further forward

RedC

He can't pass the ball consistently enough to play anywhere in midfield for a top team. He is genuinely terrible at passing the ball over the course of a game.

Dan_F

While this is true, there's just no way Fabinho should be going for £40m after the evidence of last season. He looked a busted flush. Great for Liverpool, of course, but they're very fortunate anyone is stupid enough to make that kind of bid for him.
Same can be said for Chelsea. The bigger the names, the more Saudi will pay.

Champ

Well that’s why the squad is still full of overpaid mediocre shite. We don’t sell these players and then put them on bumper contracts instead of getting rid when it’s clear for everyone to see they aren’t good enough

Henderson, Telles, Bailey, Maguire, Williams, McTominay, Fred, Elanga, Pallestri, Martial

10 players that should be nowhere near the first team squad yet here we are with no plans to sell McTominay it’s laughable
This is the Red cafe cycle with transfers:

'we should make it known we don't want these players '
Player gets sold for a low fee due to the club actively wanting rid of the player
'why do United always sell these players for such a low fee'

United don't actively put certain players on the market, probably in the hope that they get a better deal from an interested club:

'why are United not looking to actively sell, we should make it known we don't want these players '

Ad infinitum,

Champ

Or we are happy to sell him but don’t want to tell the world we are desperate get rid of him. What good would that do?

Surely clubs in the market for players are capable of noting the number of starts potential targets are getting? They don’t need to see a “proactive” For Sale sign.
I'd imagine that EtH is happy to keep McT in the squad hence the not actively looking to sell.
I'm also sure that should a £30m offer come in then EtH/United wouldn't be too sad to say yes.

Redstain

Should be sold because he's not good enough. It's not tactics that's separating the team from competing it's the lack of quality in depth. It's the same trajectory that's seen Phil Jones have a sustained career with no contribution. The club needs leadership who will enforce the rule it seems like the Woodward era is just regurgitating the same results over and over again.

GMoore23

If West Ham are interested in both him and Maguire, the fee should be at least 60m for both based on the Rice fee.

Sparky Rhiwabon

All plans are proactive because they involve something that hasnt happened yet. So wtf is a proactive plan?
Yeah, the word proactive is a bit redundant there, but we should be more proactive in our transfer dealings, out as well as in.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Same can be said for Chelsea. The bigger the names, the more Saudi will pay.
More likely that the Chelsea and Liverpool people have developed better contacts and relationships over there - we need to be doing the same instead of sitting around and hoping that they offer us money for our deadwood.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If so, again, what is wrong with us? He’s not good enough for where we need to be.
Because we are not proactive. Liverpool will sell Fabinho (who is still good player for them) and replace him with better player (i presume). Same what City did with lots of players.
We will keep McTominay as 5th option and next year we will need to sell him for minimum fee or give him new contract because his contract ends 2025.

Status
Not open for further replies.