Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFMUTD

If it's a sell for a good fee I say go for it don't care it's top 4 opposition. Use the funds to sign a replacement.

Norii

I never feel at ease when McTominay's on the ball. Whether it's clumsy tackles, holding on to the ball for too long or constant stray passes. He's too erratic. He doesn't have that sense of calmness and decision making players like Eriksen or Casemiro have.

Yes, he has some good games but one every 7 or 8 matches isn't the standard we should be accepting anymore. United need to be more ruthless if we really are back.

If we can sell him and buy an upgrade THIS window, then it should 100% happen. If the money is just going to be kept until the summer, then just keep him for now.

CM

He would weaken them, it would be a smart move by us.
Not if we fail to bring in any replacement. Whether you rate the player or not, some form of squad depth is essential. If we can identify a decent player who is ready to come now that's a different story.

glasgow 21

What type of punishment do you get for Drunk Driving in the UK? Could they fear for being without Joelinton for a while this spring?
Well in the case of of Jack grealish not very much however all being even Newcastle should have withdrawn Joe Linton from the team. It just doesn't sit right with me.

kaku06

No. Tielemans doesn't suit a ten Hag team and we've just got Weghorst on loan so there's no need to sign Depay on a long-term contract. I'd ship McTominay out.
Okay. Alright Joy Butcherson, how about this then?

Mctominay - 30m Out
Kessie/Palhinha - 30/35m In

Alemar

Such a decorated player as McTominay should be worth 60m in today’s market. We could sell for this amount, and they could also have Elanga for 30

BuzzKillington

He’s not as bad as people on here make out, but still probably never going to be good enough to be a fixture of our first team. He has a price, it’d be interesting to see what Newcastle are actually offering.

andy0

I'm tempted to think this rumour wouldn't have got strong enough to escape into the wild unless United were also looking at bringing someone in

C'est Moi Cantona

Not now, but in the summer then fine,

Because we're quite good all of a sudden, then it'll be alot easier to raise a small fortune in the summer from players we're not that bothered about losing.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
What type of punishment do you get for Drunk Driving in the UK? Could they fear for being without Joelinton for a while this spring?
Depends on how much over the limit he was and if he's got previous - a lot over the limit an d previous could be potential jail time but probably a big fine and loss of licence

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm not too sure he's worried about first team chances. Is he really that hungry? Fair play to him if so. As others have said, there's a tax given it's middle of January and we're direct rivals for CL qualification, but I'd take a good offer (Donny price maybe) and if there isn't bona fide quality available I'd recall Mejbri.

peridigm

The one thing I will always remember Scott for is the tackle he took that got Jankewitz sent off after a few minutes.

dove

Casemiro and Eriksen is our best midfield in a 4231. You sell McTominay....

Who do you buy in the January window that is a better CDM than Casemiro or a good backup?

Who do you sign better in CM than Eriksen? We need a top drawer CM that can do it all home and away, and not an Eriksen cover man.
Why would we sign someone better than Casemiro or Eriksen? I don't get it. We are selling someone who is nowhere near those 2. All I am saying is that the £60m figure you mentioned is a pure fantasy, nobody in their right mind would pay anywhere near that. £25-30m is probably the most we can expect.

Red Royal

We should be open to this but only if we can get in a reasonable replacement in this window. That could be exploring the loan market or spending more then we get on asn upgrade.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Well he’s a much better player than Longstaff, and seeing as you fecks rated him at 50m I think it’s only fair you give us 60. Plus an extra 10 for being oil nonces.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not if we fail to bring in any replacement. Whether you rate the player or not, some form of squad depth is essential. If we can identify a decent player who is ready to come now that's a different story.
Fine, sell him and bring in Lee Cattermole (if he’s even still playing) if ‘whether you rate the player or not’ had no relevance. The squad depth point is valid, but we are talking about a midfielder who cannot pass a football or tackle. So any unexpected scenario which still allows us to field XI players would be equal to no loss from selling McTominay. If that means playing Martinez in midfield, it would almost certainly be an improvement on McTominay. He is of no loss, just as Van de Beek will be of no loss as they add nothing beyond enabling us to field XI men. We could literally play Victor Lindelöf as an emergency DM and be no worse off.

Mark my words, if McTominay went to Newcastle he won’t reach 30 years old there either. With these players, it’s usually their second move after a big club that shows their real level. Coming from United might ensure you a minimum level. But with no United protection, he’ll be exposed. He’s not good enough for Newcastle either in reality, and they are going nowhere fast if their big project includes having Scott McTominay as a regular in their midfield. Within 18 months he’ll be a Carabao player for them too.

If we are in a ‘need to sell well before we can buy’ position then McTominay is akin to free money for us.

NoPace

We'll struggle to move him in the summer. I think this opportunity has purely popped up because of Bruno Guimaeraes' injury
Somewhat disagree. He's got power and pace and experience and is just entering his prime. I could see Newcastle being the only team to cough up 30M, but I think a couple of teams would throw 20M at him now that we see teams like Bournemouth and Forest spend that much. He's safe, experienced and physically up for it. So we might lost some value, but I think a lot of teams who aren't very good would see him as a great fit as a #8 playing on the counter, winning tackles and headers and bursting forward, which is what the teams not trying to play football like Brighton need. Onana for example is very raw, but doing a decent job in that role for Everton and their midfield looks more solid as a result.

Mainoldo

Yeah sure. In your head. Nobody is paying that for him not even Newcastle.
That’s how much clubs want for Tielemans even more for Neves. I don’t see how he’s worth anything less than £30m.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well he’s a much better player than Longstaff, and seeing as you fecks rated him at 50m I think it’s only fair you give us 60. Plus an extra 10 for being oil nonces.
Longstaff is far better than McTominay.

George The Best

He’s not as bad as people on here make out, but still probably never going to be good enough to be a fixture of our first team. He has a price, it’d be interesting to see what Newcastle are actually offering.
Agree. He’s been fairly good in his few appearances this season. We need squad depth so I would keep him.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Hard to get a homegrown player like him who’ll be satisfied with playing here and there. We need local players too.

Only sell if big money comes in that we need for important upgrades. Not if it’s a sideways move.
Is not 25m “big money” though for McTominay? ;)

Players are available in January. Get someone on loan or a Malacia type of understudy to Casemiro.

We need depth, but the way McT played in Spain or against Charlton just don’t cut it.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Considering Ten Hag has kept hold of Lindelof this window, I don't see him selling McTominay either. We're still reliant on him as a squad option.

kaku06

That’s how much clubs want for Tielemans even more for Neves. I don’t see how he’s worth anything less than £30m.
You think Mctominay and Neves are same quality wise. Neves is far better midfielder.

MrSingh2002

Why would we sign someone better than Casemiro or Eriksen? I don't get it. We are selling someone who is nowhere near those 2. All I am saying is that the £60m figure you mentioned is a pure fantasy, nobody in their right mind would pay anywhere near that. £25-30m is probably the most we can expect.
And I'm saying besides Tielemans who isn't better than Eriksen in CM, who do you get in January?

To get better we need better players not just less bad players.

kaku06

Is Tielemans better than Eriksen as a CM or McTominay as a CDM to cover for Casemiro?

I say no and it's the wrong profile to go for. A Bellingham/De Jong/Enzo could be signed for CM to play ahead of Eriksen or rotate with him.

Casemiro needs CDM cover. We don't really need someone to start ahead of him. If we did it wouldn't be Tielemans. I think our squad is at the point where only very good players should replace our weakest starting 11 players.

Currently that's probably Martial and De Gea. It's getting tougher to improve the starting 11.
Would you take kessie if available for 30m? I know he isn’t a like for like replacement for Casemiro but can play there like Mctominay.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He's unique that's for sure. A midfielder who doesn't want the ball in his feet.
I'm not a fan of his, but he and Casemiro are the only physical presences in the midfield. I would prefer he had better midfielder qualities as well, but such is life.

cyberman

If we’re giving Feed a new contract then Scott is out if we are looking at a new midfielder.
Not until the summer though

ROFLUTION

Is not 25m “big money” though for McTominay? ;)

Players are available in January. Get someone on loan or a Malacia type of understudy to Casemiro.

We need depth, but the way McT played in Spain or against Charlton just don’t cut it.
its not much if we need to spend 15m on a new player (and more in wages to attract the said player)

the way McTominay has played in big games such as Liverpool, PSG, etc does cut it. He’s played a lot of good matches against big opponents actually. Good for when you need to sit back a bit, not so good against mediocre teams where we need to create. But that responsibility shouldnt be his neither - i think we are aware of that with the creative type of players we have bought of late.

Like with Fletcher you need these kind of local bread and butter types

Kaos

Newcastle are undoubtedly a top 4 rival this season - we shouldn't sell unless we have a superior player lined up to come in (seems somewhat doubtful, given our current financial situation).
That and the fact they take the piss when we ask about one of their players.

I'd let McTominay go for £35-40million, but for the Geordies it should cost £60million.

Oranges038

He's such an odd player, offers very little on the ball and feck all off it. Then has that game every now and again where you think, he might actually be good enough. Only to disappear for the next 10.

So yeah, I'd sell him and risk the 4 good games a season against Utd and Leeds.

ROFLUTION

In the OP:
Its not like he’s going on strike to force a move is it? It could be that both the option to stay here is good but also an option at Newcastle is good. Or just to express an interest to be more appreciated/play more/get paid more. This is just journos reporting it, not the final truth.

MrSingh2002

Would you take kessie if available for 30m? I know he isn’t a like for like replacement for Casemiro but can play there like Mctominay.
That would be a yes for me, he was becoming a very useful player at Milan, no idea why he hasn't worked out at Barca though as I haven't watched much of them this season.

He is competing with good players though in fairness to him.

sugar_kane

This guy seems to hide almost every game, except the rare occasion where he inexplicably runs the show like against Leeds a couple of seasons back. He also has an annoying tendency to stand off attackers or misplace basic passes.

He gets by on having good PR, talking the talk and looking the part. Fred has taken most of the shit from fans (including our own) over the “McFred” years but Scott is by far the weaker link of that duo and always has been.

Stadjer

its not much if we need to spend 15m on a new player (and more in wages to attract the said player)

the way McTominay has played in big games such as Liverpool, PSG, etc does cut it. He’s played a lot of good matches against big opponents actually. Good for when you need to sit back a bit, not so good against mediocre teams where we need to create. But that responsibility shouldnt be his neither - i think we are aware of that with the creative type of players we have bought of late.

Like with Fletcher you need these kind of local bread and butter types
No you dont. You need good players. Fletcher was a lot better than McT.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's absolutely not. Both are shite.
Because we all agreed he was being overpriced early on, Longstaff is being made out to be some sort of figure of fun which he isn’t. He was attracting top clubs at the time, and has been a regular in Newcastle’s midfield all season. He can pass a football which makes him more a midfielder than Scott y default. Have you actually even watched him play? Or just know him as the player we were quoted 50m for?

CM

Fine, sell him and bring in Lee Cattermole (if he’s even still playing) if ‘whether you rate the player or not’ had no relevance. The squad depth point is valid, but we are talking about a midfielder who cannot pass a football or tackle. So any unexpected scenario which still allows us to field XI players would be equal to no loss from selling McTominay. If that means playing Martinez in midfield, it would almost certainly be an improvement on McTominay. He is of no loss, just as Van de Beek will be of no loss as they add nothing beyond enabling us to field XI men. We could literally play Victor Lindelöf as an emergency DM and be no worse off.

Mark my words, if McTominay went to Newcastle he won’t reach 30 years old there either. With these players, it’s usually their second move after a big club that shows their real level. Coming from United might ensure you a minimum level. But with no United protection, he’ll be exposed. He’s not good enough for Newcastle either in reality, and they are going nowhere fast if their big project includes having Scott McTominay as a regular in their midfield. Within 18 months he’ll be a Carabao player for them too.

If we are in a ‘need to sell well before we can buy’ position then McTominay is akin to free money for us.
All of it depends on context though. How solid is Newcastle's interest really? How much are they prepared to pay? Do we have any contingency plan if he leaves?

I'm not an advocate for McTominay staying and believe he shouldn't be here beyond the summer but we don't actually know the answers to any of these questions yet. If they're offering stupid money, by all means, cash in and get another idiot in. If Newcastle are only prepared to pay a smaller fee which could be matched by another club in the summer, there's no real reason to sell now.

McTominay might not be a significant loss in terms of quality, but he's still a player who has over 100 Premier League appearances for a top 6 club. So yes, whether you like him or not, that automatically makes him a better player than Lee Cattermole and the like. We don't have the bloated squad of previous years. A couple of injuries could be enough to throw us off stride - an injury to Varane would mean Lindelof isn't an option in midfield (hideous as that sounds).

Status
Not open for further replies.