Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky Rhiwabon

This is probably our best, and maybe only, opportunity to get decent money for him. I’d sell - it’s not as if we’d be strengthening them either.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He'll be turning 27 this year, so he isn't going to get much better than he is right now. And right now he isn't good enough on the ball for us, a team who need to keep getting better on the ball from here. And we need to sell players to buy players. In general terms, it's as simple as that.

It's only a question of price and timing. If those are right then there's no good enough reason to keep him.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Newcastle are undoubtedly a top 4 rival this season - we shouldn't sell unless we have a superior player lined up to come in (seems somewhat doubtful, given our current financial situation).
If they don’t buy McTominay, chances are they’ll buy someone better! £30m and I’d snatch their hand off.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think he's an excellent squad player to have, along with Fred. Problem is, they both have received so much stick because they started every game for us because our recruitment was poor.

If McTominay isn't happy with being a squad player for a team on the up, then I guess he'll have to go because he obviously won't displace Casemiro.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm not a fan of his, but he and Casemiro are the only physical presences in the midfield. I would prefer he had better midfielder qualities as well, but such is life.
It doesn’t have to be life for us though. We’re not obligated to accept whatever Scott can serve up just because it’s the best he can do.

ROFLUTION

No you dont. You need good players. Fletcher was a lot better than McT.
I rate McTominay as a good player for certain games. Maybe you dont, but your opinion is not gospel. We can agree that Fletcher was better, but he was quite shit for many of his first years too. Ten Hag has turned other players into more, so why not McTominay too?

AndySmith1990

An opportunity comes along to sell a mediocre player for decent money, something the club has been criticised for not doing many times in the past as we hold on to them for too long, and people are like nah, keep him

Ekeke

Think he's better than Longstaff so would improve Newcastle, but not to an amount that we'd regret. Need to clear some of the midfield out for Hannibal and hopefully a new CM this summer anyway

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's a decent to good box-to-box midfielder. He is Casemiro's backup right now and has little chance of becoming a regular under Ten Hag. He is a player that doesn't have a long-term future at Man Utd but he won't be sold this window.

ROFLUTION

An opportunity comes along to sell a mediocre player for decent money, something the club has been criticised for not doing many times in the past as we hold on to them for too long, and people are like nah, keep him
Well it depends on who the replacement and what the money goes to doesnt it? If you just move on to another or even more mediocre player because no better alternatives are available, then whats the point?

Guapa

Had high hopes for him a couple of seasons ago but he hasn't progressed and he does seem to hide in the big games.Sell if a decent offers on the table,best for both parties.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The irony is, in the long run the same thing would happen at Newcastle anyway (if there's anything in this).

We all know they will bring in better players.

redom

I'm not desperate to see him go but if it's a good offer then we should consider it, especially as it's been suggested we'll have to sell "well" if we want to spend in the summer.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
All of it depends on context though. How solid is Newcastle's interest really? How much are they prepared to pay? Do we have any contingency plan if he leaves?

I'm not an advocate for McTominay staying and believe he shouldn't be here beyond the summer but we don't actually know the answers to any of these questions yet. If they're offering stupid money, by all means, cash in and get another idiot in. If Newcastle are only prepared to pay a smaller fee which could be matched by another club in the summer, there's no real reason to sell now.

McTominay might not be a significant loss in terms of quality, but he's still a player who has over 100 Premier League appearances for a top 6 club. So yes, whether you like him or not, that automatically makes him a better player than Lee Cattermole and the like. We don't have the bloated squad of previous years. A couple of injuries could be enough to throw us off stride - an injury to Varane would mean Lindelof isn't an option in midfield (hideous as that sounds).
Yes, him playing so many games for us is a source of bafflement, and no testament to his quality. He has never been a good player. He’s not one of those ‘was a star in the academy but despite several chances just couldn’t cut it’ players like Axel. He was poor as a youth player and has never been good enough as a senior one.

I agree that I also wouldn’t have been pushing to sell him in January over the summer - but we cannot dictate when offers come. We sat by for the whole of last summer waiting for clubs to come and buy Tuanzebe, Telles, Jones, Williams, Wan Bissaka, Bailly and others and none of it materialised bar a few loans. If we are offered money for Scott now, we should take it. If it is from Newcastle, then even more so as they instantly become a worse football team with him in their midfield, so we win twice.

As far as cover goes, I agree it’s not ideal, but again, as long as we can field XI players Scott won’t be missed. If Varane got injured, we still have Maguire. If all fails we can just out Weghorst in midfield for the handful of games it would require and still be no worse off, as Scott is terrible. He’s really not good enough for Newcastle either, which will become apparent after his inevitable bright start there.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
He’s not good enough long term. Tempting to hold on to him right now because our squad is fairly thin and we have a lot of games, so we do need a replacement.

But we have to take our chances to move players who aren’t good enough on. We’ve had way too many players hang on way longer than they should over the last few years.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think he's better than Longstaff so would improve Newcastle, but not to an amount that we'd regret. Need to clear some of the midfield out for Hannibal and hopefully a new CM this summer anyway
Have you watched Longstaff at all this season while he’s been a Newcastle regular? He’s definitely better than McTominay. He’s actually quite an accomplished passer for a start.

MiracleInMadrid

Sell him now. Of all the midfielders, he's the one that we'll miss the least in terms of footballing skills.

Nowhere near good enough on the ball to even start against the lesser opponents. He's just not the kind of player we need in the middle of the park.

Get something for him when there is an opportunity for once. We gotta be better at selling players.

userman

No way that we're selling McT this window - our only backups in midfield are him and Fred, and an adequate relpacement would cost at least the same as we're getting for him. We're already short of one midfielder in the squad as is.

McT will perhaps never be good enough to be a sufficient long-term backup to Casemiro but he's good enough for at least 50% of the teams in the PL and should be sellable IF we decide to sell in the summer. In the summer we can hopefully tap into the transfermarket without the financial constraints that we have now..

edcunited1878

Have you watched Longstaff at all this season while he’s been a Newcastle regular? He’s definitely better than McTominay. He’s actually quite an accomplished passer for a start.
But that should mean you've seen Newcastle play this season and how robust their team is when defending and going hard for a full match. McTominay wouldn't be out of place there, especially of Bruno G is out for an extended amount of time.

Physically and mentally, McTominay will run himself into the ground and run forever, which is what has made Newcastle really difficult to breakdown this season. He doesn't have as much technical ability, but it'll do a job for Newcastle.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It doesn’t have to be life for us though. We’re not obligated to accept whatever Scott can serve up just because it’s the best he can do.
I agree, that was my point as to why we should let him go. I don't think he offers anything but a number to our squad right now and he's 26.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No way that we're selling McT this window - our only backups in midfield are him and Fred, and an adequate relpacement would cost at least the same as we're getting for him. We're already short of one midfielder in the squad as is.

McT will perhaps never be good enough to be a sufficient long-term backup to Casemiro but he's good enough for at least 50% of the teams in the PL and should be sellable IF we decide to sell in the summer. In the summer we can hopefully tap into the transfermarket without the financial constraints that we have now..
He’ll get injured in April and still be here next season as a result. These players get injured right on time to survive every transfer window. Williams and Jones last summer. Feck knows what happened with Tuanzebe. VDBs injury has almost certainly guaranteed he’ll be here next season.

We need to get better at selling. Just cash in and recall Mejbri if we must.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
But that should mean you've seen Newcastle play this season and how robust their team is when defending and going hard for a full match. McTominay wouldn't be out of place there, especially of Bruno G is out for an extended amount of time.

Physically and mentally, McTominay will run himself into the ground and run forever, which is what has made Newcastle really difficult to breakdown this season. He doesn't have as much technical ability, but it'll do a job for Newcastle.
McTominay is not good at defending.

SinNombre

30m + 5m in incentives and they can have him. We will need to ensure we get a loan signing in before we let him go.

That would conveniently also mean they will have to go to Palace and then Southampton in the cup without their main defensive midfielder.

edcunited1878

Sell him now. Of all the midfielders, he's the one that we'll miss the least in terms of footballing skills.

Nowhere near good enough on the ball to even start against the lesser opponents. He's just not the kind of player we need in the middle of the park.

Get something for him when there is an opportunity for once. We gotta be better at selling players.
And only go with 3 true central midfielders across 4+ months with at least 24 matches? Approximately 3 straight weeks with a midweek game.

A thin area is only going to get thinner without McTominay. He should be upgraded if there is a clear upgrade that isn't going to cost a bomb nor throw a fit if they cannot unseat Casemiro.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Could be good business, if we were able to get a significantly bigger fee than it would cost to replace him with Tielemans or similar (and maybe even bid for Moukoko). Bit tight though and we would need to replace.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Out of curiosity, can anyone saying McTominay is ‘fine as a squad player’ give an example of 3 PL midfielders they think is NOT good enough to play for Manchester United?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I would rather he stayed, to be honest I consider him a decent squad option. That said, he's not been playing much lately and maybe it's just ETH doesn't rate him. Might be the case.
I thought he will grow old as squad player for us tbh. If he has ambition to be a regular, probably should let him go though. We can live without him, but I think we will pay more for replacement than we get for him (plus the wages).

That probably means we need a Casemiro understudy this summer.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I would rather he stayed, to be honest I consider him a decent squad option. That said, he's not been playing much lately and maybe it's just ETH doesn't rate him. Might be the case.
I thought he will grow old as squad player for us tbh. If he has ambition to be a regular, probably should let him go though. We can live without him, but I think we will pay more for replacement than we get for him (plus the wages).

That probably means we need a Casemiro understudy this summer.
We need a Casemiro understudy no matter what happens with McTominay, the only variable here is can we let him go in January or not

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We've got too many games to be letting a midfielder go in January. Not happening.

edcunited1878

We need a Casemiro understudy no matter what happens with McTominay, the only variable here is can we let him go in January or not
Exactly...EtH has preached since day one about having 2 players for each position. Why would he go against his own words and beliefs at the moment when it's coming into play.

United are skint and even if they get a transfer fee for McTominay now, it's not going to be enough or enough upfront to identify and purchase a legit replacement who is budget friendly.

People asking for a recall of Hannibal aren't paying attention to even the type of player he is and what is needed as a backup/understudy to Casemiro.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I was hoping we can do that next summer, and this year focus on getting a striker and Eriksen replacement. If we need another DM as well, that is too much to do in one window I think (also considering financial aspect).

Status
Not open for further replies.