Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

userman

He’ll get injured in April and still be here next season as a result. These players get injured right on time to survive every transfer window. Williams and Jones last summer. Feck knows what happened with Tuanzebe. VDBs injury has almost certainly guaranteed he’ll be here next season.

We need to get better at selling. Just cash in and recall Mejbri if we must.
Though I agree that we must get much better at selling I still don't think now is the time to sell him. Especially not if the plan is to replace him with Mejbri who's totally unproven on this level.

afatzp

Rationally speaking, 40M would be fair price. Newcastle should understand they are top 4 competitor now and have to offer premium for it.

Taken Casemiro would be starter for about next 3 years at No.6 , replacement of McT would be from the Youth team and no serious player willing to risk to come to Man Utd and challenge Casemiro's starter.

Irwin99

Might actually need him more often with the amount of games we're playing. It'd make no sense to sell him now and bring no one else in (and are we still linked with any other midfielders?)

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Exactly...EtH has preached since day one about having 2 players for each position. Why would he go against his own words and beliefs at the moment when it's coming into play.

United are skint and even if they get a transfer fee for McTominay now, it's not going to enough or enough upfront to identify and purchase a legit replacement who is budget friendly.

People asking for a recall of Hannibal aren't paying attention to even the type of player he is and what is needed as a backup/understudy to Casemiro.
We do have a potential back up in Martinez, Shaw has proved he can play LCB and Malacia as LFB, it's not a long term thing, just until we can get a proper understudy which is not gonna happen until the summer anyway

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Though I agree that we must get much better at selling I still don't think now is the time to sell him. Especially not if the plan is to replace him with Mejbri who's totally unproven on this level.
Unproven is better than proven to be not up to standard.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Definitely no need to keep him beyond the summer if we bring in another central midfielder

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Unless another loan is coming up, I'm not in favor of this for winter window. The money will go nowhere, and McTom is a decent backup for Case. Martinez and Shaw probably can play in DM, but they're best used in somewhere else (or just rested).

Unless it's for crazy money, like 50m.

Last edited:

edcunited1878

We do have a potential back up in Martinez, Shaw has proved he can play LCB and Malacia as LFB, it's not a long term thing, just until we can get a proper understudy which is not gonna happen until the summer anyway
EtH has already said Lisandro isn't a CM. He would have experimented with that already at Ajax or at some time earlier this year. I could see Zidane Iqbal be given a run out in CM before Lisandro.

Frank White

Games coming thick and fast and it's not like we're flush with options in his postion. Also will cost just as much to replace if not more and he'll 100% need replacing this window because we can all take the piss out of him "ghosting" in games but a few injuries and we'll be forced to actually play Casper (DVB)

Unless Newcastle are dumb enough to offer us stupid money, then doesn't seem smart to me. We should ask for what they supposedly quoted us for Longstaff.

Bwuk

No. We are thin as it is in CM.

VdB is out for the season. It’d leave us with only Casemiro, Eriksen & Fred aa options for the two deeper CM positions.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
If Newcastle pay a premium we'd be stupid to not accept it. We have enough options and some gems coming through the youth system. Take the money and run (assuming its a worthwhile bid).

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
McTominay out for 30-40 mil and Tielemans in for about 15-20 mil. Sensible stuff.

Tarrou

we need to move on one of McT or Fred and replace with a better midfielder

keep one as a squad option

I’d sell if we can get good money for him, he’s not going to improve Newcastle that much

makes sense if he wants the move as only worth keeping if he’s happy with a limited role

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
EtH has already said Lisandro isn't a CM. He would have experimented with that already at Ajax or at some time earlier this year. I could see Zidane Iqbal be given a run out in CM before Lisandro.
Can't speak for Ajax but he wouldn't have tried it earlier at United because he was playing CB without an obvious replacement, now we have Shaw so maybe it's worth a try, it's only a a back-up last resort scenario and it would be a better option than reverting to McFred

OrcaFat

There were a lot of people saying McT was doing well before Casemiro was brought in and I agreed he was having a good spell. He’s played a few blinders over the years and there were times when I thought he could mature into a solid no6 with the ability to break forward and carry the ball through midfield especially late on in matches. He showed he can chip in with goals too.

I think we all know his problem is that he rarely plays anywhere near his top level and mostly looks adrift of top quality even if his heart is as big as most.

It doesn’t seem right hanging onto him but I think talk of £30m or more is a bit optimistic, maybe we could get £20m?

BuzzKillington

Agree. He’s been fairly good in his few appearances this season. We need squad depth so I would keep him.
A complete lack of consistency seems to be his biggest problem. It’s 4/10 or 7/10 from him and no in between, unfortunately he produces the 4/10’s much more often than the 7’s.

But like you say, he does provide some depth, and he’s probably better than whatever we could replace him with for the £15m some on here are saying they’d let him go for.

RedDevilRoshi

I’d be very open to this for a summer move but not now unless we are going to sign an upgraded replacement in this window which I don’t see happening.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Would not be a fan of this but Puke Edwards doesn't get much right anyway.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Rationally speaking, 40M would be fair price. Newcastle should understand they are top 4 competitor now and have to offer premium for it.

Taken Casemiro would be starter for about next 3 years at No.6 , replacement of McT would be from the Youth team and no serious player willing to risk to come to Man Utd and challenge Casemiro's starter.
if we manage to get 40m for McT then it will be the best deal in our history, certainly the bestin recent times after Daniel James to Leeds

I would be surprised if McTominay is playing in the premier league in a few years. I usually want our players to do well but I just don't see him seting a light any team really, he's average at best and probably only good for few teams who play defensive counter attacking football which will soon be none in the Prem..

Good for us he's got any value really. We need to make sure we reinvest that money though

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
we need to move on one of McT or Fred and replace with a better midfielder

keep one as a squad option

I’d sell if we can get good money for him, he’s not going to improve Newcastle that much

makes sense if he wants the move as only worth keeping if he’s happy with a limited role
Fred is our starting midfielder always MOTM contender in every big game he palys for us and one of our most important outfield player the past few years where we lacked quality in the team overall. It's an insult to him to be in the same sentence as McT. Replacing him would give us a genuinely world class player.

who we should really replace / upgrade is Eriksen. Very similar situation to when we got Matic, with both players having a purple patch the first 10 games and then slowly fading away, untilwe realized we just cant have players who are physically passengers mosst of the time..

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
There's a lot to be said for a hard working home grown squad player but if it would allow us to do some good wheeler dealing then we'd have to consider it. Likeable lad but he's not the best footballer we've ever had in the midfield.

Some good youngsters coming through at CM too in fairness. Would make a lot of sense if we thought Mainoo or Hannibal or someone were ready to step up now / next season.

Tarrou

Fred is our starting midfielder always MOTM contender in every big game he palys for us and one of our most important outfield player the past few years where we lacked quality in the team overall. It's an insult to him to be in the same sentence as McT. Replacing him would give us a genuinely world class player.

who we should really replace / upgrade is Eriksen. Very similar situation to when we got Matic, with both players having a purple patch the first 10 games and then slowly fading away, untilwe realized we just cant have players who are physically passengers mosst of the time..
if we want to compete for titles Fred isn't a starter for me

useful squad player to have though, and like I said I'd let McT go

agree we need someone to come in for Eriksen, and selling McT should allow us space to sign that profile of midfielder

Womp

idiot
I'd hold off until the summer unless we can get a body in. He can do a job of filling in when called upon and with the games coming as quick as they are, he will be needed.

Tarrou

It's an insult to him to be in the same sentence as McT.
forgot to respond to this, but it's ridiculous

they both play for Manchester United, what do you expect people to do?

we have 5/6 midfield options and they are two of them and they both play similar roles (B2B), of course they are going to be discussed together

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
we cant afford any less options. I'd only sell if we have a replacement first.

Waynne

They can have him for the money they charged us for Longstaff. Otherwise they can feck off.

Wing Attack Plan R

McT is on a very low wage compared to his teammates, so it's not like we are freeing up a bunch of money on wages. We could sell him for maybe Dan James money, but what are we bringing in for that amount? He's a good option from the bench.

If he really is agitating to move because of minutes and doesn't want to be an option from the bench, then absolutely we should sell him because it's his wish, not because he's not good enough for our bench. I've always been a champion of McT but he really is of limited utility in an ETH side. If he goes, I wish the best for him.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Fair time to move him on this summer. While he's a useful man for the rotation, he's blocking the youth kids to be tested at PL1 level. Will always remember his 30 yard chip vs City :devil::devil::devil:

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I’d rather we sell/loan Elanga in January and give minutes for Pellestri.

Getting rid of McTominay doesn’t open the window for game time for a youngster really. Sure, Zidan might be on the bench more but I still don’t see him offering much in this latter half of the season. I think we need McTominay for squad depth. He may not possess a great deal of “talent” of a level we’d like him to be at, and sometimes he’s a bit of a liability - but unless we replace him in January, I don’t see any point entertaining this rumour.

Status
Not open for further replies.