Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottser

That's fine, but I think the point is if we do want rid of him we're likely going to have to be willing to come down a lot lower than £45m.

The brief is that we're happy to keep him if we don't receive the price we set, but I find it hard to believe ETH is a fan, he's technically not very good and was out of favour for most of the season. His value will only diminish from this point, we should cash in while his value is at it's highest. I suspect it's just negotiating spin.

But the criticism of Goldbridge seems to be from people actually believing Mctominay is worth £45m and we'd be dumb to accept £30m, which seems crazy to me.
yeah, i have no idea why some folks lose their shit around this time of year. 30 - 35m is about right for mctom and if we don't get offered that it doesn't make any sense to sell him.

RuudTom83

Scott would be great for West Ham.

He would fill the gap left by Rice quite well...as I feel Rice as a player is overly praised and McTom is overly criticised.

McTom could run all day and grab a few goals for West Ham, finish 10th...job done!

Last edited:

Jeffthered

Lovely guy but he's limited and has had plenty of time to make that role his own. Better suited to International football, the one-off nature of games etc. SMT is always capable of stringing together two or three terrific performances, but then he seems to disappear.. he's young, at Man Utd and he should want to be a midfield powerhouse, fundamental to the club. But this has never seemed to be the case. Bruno, Casimero and Erikksen have highlighted this.

If we can get £40m, take it. But, but.... we must replace him with another player. Squad needs the numbers.

Zed is not dead

People here have a really weird way of assessing quality.
Not being good enough for United only means you’re not good enough to challenge for the biggest titles on club level on a regular basis.

But there’s a vast spectrum between CL quality player and good PL player and then being shite.

Being good enough for United would make you one of the top players in the world.

Look at our Inter « not good enough » ex United players who are having great careers, winning titles in Italy and appearing in UCL final. They’re good players, but not for level of consistency required by a successful United team.

Borussia Teeth

£40m or £45m (incl add-ons) is £10m too much.

West Ham will walk away. Players like Alvarez, Sangare and Zakaria are available for less than that.
Thank you bro. Glad there's an oppo fan here to provide sense.

Everybody keeps referring to the Rice deal, Chelsea's valuation of Gallagher, Caeceido etc. "This is the market now blah blah blah." What posters don't seem to understand is that the huge valuations only really apply to big clubs.

Mid table/lower end clubs, the types that would be in for McTominay (and Maguire) will not spend 40m on a single player, maybe an attacker but even that's still doubtful.

If we price him out of a move, his value will depreciate after a season of little playing time. £30-35m is good business.

Last edited:

buckooo1978

In a world where Rice is valued at 100m, McTominay is worth 45/50m given he is a little older. An established international player in a performing Scotland team, playing well and scoring goals. He's a dependable player who would probably thrive in a smaller fishbowl. He has good values and attitude and I'd assume he's not on mega wages

Id take 40 minimum for him.

Withnail

That's fine, but I think the point is if we do want rid of him we're likely going to have to be willing to come down a lot lower than £45m.

The brief is that we're happy to keep him if we don't receive the price we set, but I find it hard to believe ETH is a fan, he's technically not very good and was out of favour for most of the season. His value will only diminish from this point, we should cash in while his value is at it's highest. I suspect it's just negotiating spin.

But the criticism of Goldbridge seems to be from people actually believing Mctominay is worth £45m and we'd be dumb to accept £30m, which seems crazy to me.
The criticism of Goldbridge is because he's a sensationalist twat. Are we really supposed to believe he doesn't know how negotiations work.

cyberman

Goldbridge tweet is nonsense and you can’t see it because you agree with him.
With the prices being quoted for midfielders these days, coming down a lot lower for for Scott would be insane. Every other player in every other team would be quoting his Scotland performances alone for a good price but not our fanbase.
Goldbridge regularly shits over our negotiation team ( quite rightly) but this posts shows he’s as bad as they are

mintyred

In a world where Rice is valued at 100m, McTominay is worth 45/50m given he is a little older. An established international player in a performing Scotland team, playing well and scoring goals. He's a dependable player who would probably thrive in a smaller fishbowl. He has good values and attitude and I'd assume he's not on mega wages

Id take 40 minimum for him.
He’s worth 20-30 million realistically, but that doesn’t mean people won’t pay more. He’s a mediocre midfielder that occasionally has good games. No modern manager would touch him so it’s no surprise Moyes wants him.

40-45 Mil is robbery.

Plastic Evra

Why would we sell anyone upwards or laterally? If we are selling someone good enough for any team on our level or doing better than us, then something's gone horribly wrong or we've got a squad overflowing with talent (which I can't see happening in the immediate future).
United is more than happy to shop "laterally" if the right opportunities present themselves (ex : Mount, Onana, Varane, Casemiro...). Doesn't mean something went wrong with the team necessarily with the selling team. Players wanting a change of scenery, or that didn't succeed there but could be right in a different system, selling team renewing their XI, etc...

I suppose it was a long-winded way to say the outgoing United players are not good enough for that top flight.

Nothing wrong with that, really. Or if it is wrong, it will be fixed by recruiting better and smarter mid-term. It's just a different economy and I think financial expectations on sales should be tampered accordingly.

Jeffthered

If we were offered even £30m for him and turn it down, we'll be nuts. We need to balance the books, we all know our financial restrictions and he is an ok player, but no more than that. Let him go, he needs the change of club, and we could do with some cash to pay for new players. Fred, SMT, Elanga, DDG, Bailly... all gotta go (athough I love DDG and I hope we can sort a proper send-off for him...)

arthurka

Think both Harry and McT will be good signings for West Ham. Scott will thrive there and Harry is a good defender for deep, direct sides.

Nickosaur

Am I right in thinking selling homegrown talents give us much more FFP spending power?

Elanga and potentially Henderson and McT could help us out massively.

InfiniteBoredom

30+5 would be fair. Fred is the better player out of the two and he’s going for maybe half that. You take contract situation, age and English tax into the equation and the extra money makes sense.

Alemar

Everybody keeps referring to the Rice deal, Chelsea's valuation of Gallagher, Caeceido etc. "This is the market now blah blah blah." What posters don't seem to understand is that the huge valuations only really apply to big clubs.
That is actually true. There are probably 10 clubs in the world who may even consider buying these 100m players, so it’s a relatively small market. Smaller clubs operate differently.

That said, McTominay is probably as good an example of a player smaller teams could buy for 40m as you can get: good age, PL proven (more than proven - very experienced even), full international and on manageable wage. So 40m transfer fee is realistic in this particular case (more likely as a total fee including add-ons, say 35+5)

Highfather_24

30M is decent, 35M is great, and 40M is greedy but lets see where we fall. But if we screw this up because we stick to our 40M valuation, then we are idiots.

cyberman

Thank you bro. Glad there's an oppo fan here to provide sense.

Mid table/lower end clubs, the types that would be in for McTominay (and Maguire) will not spend 40m on a single player, maybe an attacker but even that's still doubtful.

If we price him out of a move, his value will depreciate after a season of little playing time. £30-35m is good business.
You may want to go check what prices mid table clubs are paying these days. Villa just spent 50m on a winger.
It’s not 2007 anymore. Scott would just partner West Ham’s other 40m midfielder

flappyjay

People here have a really weird way of assessing quality.
Not being good enough for United only means you’re not good enough to challenge for the biggest titles on club level on a regular basis.

But there’s a vast spectrum between CL quality player and good PL player and then being shite.

Being good enough for United would make you one of the top players in the world.

Look at our Inter « not good enough » ex United players who are having great careers, winning titles in Italy and appearing in UCL final. They’re good players, but not for level of consistency required by a successful United team.
As far as this place is concerned if anyone isn't good enough for United they are either relegation club quality or Championship quality. 40m for McTominay considering his low wages and experience would be a fair deal for both parties.

Rolaholic

30M is decent, 35M is great, and 40M is greedy but lets see where we fall. But if we screw this up because we stick to our 40M valuation, then we are idiots.
If Connor Gallagher is valued at £50m, with West Ham offering 40, 40m for McTominay isn't that greedy

Borussia Teeth

You may want to go check what prices mid table clubs are paying these days. Villa just spent 50m on a winger.
It’s not 2007 anymore. Scott would just partner West Ham’s other 40m midfielder
I mentioned in my post that mid table clubs might spend on attacking players so I don't think Diaby is good example. I also think Villa are above McTominay's level these days; they're in the Newcastle/Spurs bracket now.

Which teams outside of the top eight (McTominay's level) spend £40ish million on midfielders?

davidmichael

If Moyes takes McTominay and Maguire for £70 million I’ll drive up to West Ham’s training ground, kiss Moyes of the forehead and tell him the drinks are on me all night.

RuudTom83

If Moyes takes McTominay and Maguire for £70 million I’ll drive up to West Ham’s training ground, kiss Moyes of the forehead and tell him the drinks are on me all night.
Deserves a statue next to SAF surely?

Last edited:

OrcaFat

You don't low-ball when you're the selling club mate. We'll be negotiated down from £45m.
I know this is true. And we now have different people in the positions dealing with sales and purchases. But aren’t you worried that we’re still in the mindset that has made it difficult for us to sell players in the past? We over-value our surplus players - players who can’t get into our team even when we’re not doing that well.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Good fee but I would be alittle sad to see him go. Top professional but he isn't going to take us where we want to go.

CM

Good fee but I would be alittle sad to see him go. Top professional but he isn't going to take us where we want to go.
Why? There's no room for sentiment at the elite level. It's a good opportunity to cash in on a player whose value will only diminish if we keep him.

Highfather_24

If Connor Gallagher is valued at £50m, with West Ham offering 40, 40m for McTominay isn't that greedy
Connor Gallagher is 3 years younger, and has probably more clubs wanting him. If the WHU deal falls through, who will buy him? We need to be realistic.

YikesSchmeics

I just hope some of posters here dont work in selling.
It's quite clear that many here have never been involved in any kind of commercial negotiation. They seem to think ponying up millions for a player is as simple as arriving at the shop and pulling out the wallet. And the same cohort would undervalued all of our so called "deadwood".

Status
Not open for further replies.