Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
If the club and certain fans think we are achieving a fee of £40m plus for McTominay then we’re stuck with him. He’s an above average Premier League footballer who sometimes has good games but very often goes hiding. He’s part of the reason our midfield can’t control the ball.

He’s having a key role with Scotland but apart from beating Spain the teams they’re playing are also pretty average and Scotland should be beating them. At 27 years old anything between £20-30m seems about right.

Heck we could be buying Amrabat for around £20m. He’s younger and has far better ability.
Thank Goodness David Moyes team don't need to be with the ball often to play.

So he'll fit right in, they play to his strength by being a counter attack or hoof ball team.

Last edited:

Real Name

If the club and certain fans think we are achieving a fee of £40m plus for McTominay then we’re stuck with him. He’s an above average Premier League footballer who sometimes has good games but very often goes hiding. He’s part of the reason our midfield can’t control the ball.

He’s having a key role with Scotland but apart from beating Spain the teams they’re playing are also pretty average and Scotland should be beating them. At 27 years old anything between £20-30m seems about right.

Heck we could be buying Amrabat for around £20m. He’s younger and has far better ability.
That's what negotiation is for. You dont set the lowest price for a start.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
40m for him would be a lovely deal. I like the guy but also think he could have a decent career in a club like West Ham. We could use him still next season, but we could also use the money even more I reckon.

flappyjay

He's 23? Like I said, in his first PL season he did better than McTominay has ever managed and will probably ever manage.
How so, please don't tell me you rate midfielders on how many goals they score. Kids a headless chicken with a good shot on him.

Josep Dowling

That's what negotiation is for. You dont set the lowest price for a start.
Our negotiators are crap at negotiating. If we are asking £45m most clubs will walk away without evening starting a conversation. The bar is set too high.

Nickelodeon

Think McTominay is the perfect midfielder for a Moyes side. He's strong and physical, can run through the 90 mins, good in the air and can score about 8-10 goals in a season. He's quite poor on the ball, especially from a possession and build up perspective but that's not something that Moyes needs. He can very well be a significant upgrade on Soucek and I think we should stick to our asking price.

Sylar

Oh no we're so bad at selling our players.

Set the price for McTominay.

Oh no we're overpricing him.
Yup.

And i know there is this whole 'the forum isnt one voice' thing, but we really do see extremes on here.

Sir Chapman

Think McTominay is the perfect midfielder for a Moyes side. He's strong and physical, can run through the 90 mins, good in the air and can score about 8-10 goals in a season. He's quite poor on the ball, especially from a possession and build up perspective but that's not something that Moyes needs. He can very well be a significant upgrade on Soucek and I think we should stick to our asking price.
I totally agree. He is someone Moyes would appreciate a lot as someone who is strong and physical and can keep the midfield always in motion. Moyes was never a fan of beautiful passing football, but rather physical and McT. is this. Apart from that, Moyes would be glad to get the first Scottish player after some years again during his era :) All in all, it would be a win-win situation for both parties.

Siorac

can score about 8-10 goals in a season.
Everyone keeps talking up his goalscoring... but we're talking about a player who has 19 goals in 209 appearances for United.

Yeah yeah he played in a deeper position quite a lot but still, it feels like we're extrapolating his goalscoring prowess based on a couple of games against Leeds United. He's yet to score more than 7 goals in a single season - regularly getting 8-10 seems a bit of a stretch, even if he is allowed more freedom to go forward.

Judas

Open to offers
If he's played to his strength, he will do very well at a team of West Ham's level. To the point you'll get people making posts on here saying "where was this McTominay for us???" you might even get the odd "why did we sell him, we're clueless".

Siorac

Oh no we're so bad at selling our players.

Set the price for McTominay.

Oh no we're overpricing him.
Pricing a player out of a move by sticking an unrealistic valuation on him that no club will pay can very much contribute to a club being bad at selling players.

If we got 25-30m for McT, that would be a massive success. That is by no means a bad sale.

Real Name

Pricing a player out of a move by sticking an unrealistic valuation on him that no club will pay can very much contribute to a club being bad at selling players.

If we got 25-30m for McT, that would be a massive success. That is by no means a bad sale.
If you set a 25-30m price from a get go that could end up at lets say 15-20. And then we'd again hear cries of how did we get so little for our player again,

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's 23? Like I said, in his first PL season he did better than McTominay has ever managed and will probably ever manage.
... For Crystal Palace.

I think people on here will be surprised by how good McT would be for a mid table PL team.

Traub

He is less than half of what they got for Rice. I think 40-45m is a fair price when you consider those deals together: 60m + McT = Rice.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Scotty is a good player and I can see him having a good Premier League career. Someone with his age, attributes, and versatility is definitely worth, as a minimum, £35m in today's market. I can see us letting him go for approximately £40m.

edgecutter

Why is it hard to accept that he should go? He isn't good enough. What is it with Scott McTominay that people love?
... For Crystal Palace.

I think people on here will be surprised by how good McT would be for a mid table PL team.
He can't ve any worse than what he has shown at United recently. Last year (bar the first few games) he was abysmal

The Hilton

He isn't 27 though, he's 26. And Amrabat isn't younger, he's 4 months older.

If you're going to offer a really forthright opinion on a player, it helps to get the most basic facts about them right.

buchansleftleg

I think there is some gamesmanship going on here. By increasing the price of McT....you can reduce the price of meme McG.

No manager wants to spend a big amount on Maguire...but if he spends it on a young, international midfielder then that's ok.

United recover £70m on the Maguire purchase error, West ham get 2 players, one 'valued' at £45m and pick up Maguire for 'just' £25m. A bargain purchase!

romufc

Might want to do a bit of fact checking as well.

Might also want to watch football games too...

He is part of the reason our midfield doesn't control games but he wasnt first choice?

How many Serie A games have you watched Amrabat play btw?

AndySmith1990

What's of more value to the club?
McTominay participating in a couple dozen or so games off the bench. Probably significantly less if we sign Amrabat.
£30m to invest in one extra player?

If you think pricing him out of a move is fair then you must think he'll bring a lot of value to the team if he stays.

bringbackbebe

Do we intend to sell both McTominay and Fred this season? I can see why we're asking 45m for McTominay if we intend to sell Fred since it's not a priority sale area for us and McTominay is a decent backup and also not a caustic presence in the dressing room.

Bestietom

As asking prices for midfielders now go, I feel 40/45 million is a fair price for McTominay. We tend to be too cheap when selling players. Get the money for him and spend it wisely.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm surprised at how much hate this tweet has received.

I know the market is crazy but there's some overrating of Mctominay on here. He's got decent physicality, not very good technically, hides from the ball a lot when his team is in possession. He's also about 5th or 6th choice, once Casemiro got his place in the team after the opening 7 games or so, Mctominay was massively out of favour.

We should try squeeze the most out of it obviously but if we're serious about asking West Ham for £45m then we're probably going to scare them away. They've had an injection of cash for the Rice sale but very rare you'll see a club of West Ham's profile spend this sort of money on just a half decent player.
The value of the player depends on how much West Ham are prepared to pay for him, it’s not dependant on how much he plays for United. This is a sellers market.

McTomminay is not as good as Rice, but the gap between them isn’t more than 50%, which is what you’re evaluating him at. He can absolutely do the job Rice was doing.

West Ham have the money and they have tried to rinse us for Rice for seasons now but low ball us for players like Lingard. If you conduct your business in this way then expect the same to happen to you when you’re looking to buy players that teams don’t really want to sell.

West Ham can find £40m from the Rice sale or from their European winnings last season. They’ve got it, they just don’t want to part with it. Tough shit isn’t it? Alternatively they can shop around in the championship or relegation fodder in the PL for players instead.

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
£40m or £45m (incl add-ons) is £10m too much.

West Ham will walk away. Players like Alvarez, Sangare and Zakaria are available for less than that.

DavelinaJolie

I understand why people think Utd are awful in the market, they have been for years! And it's not so easy to trust that Murtough will turn things around when he is going to be associated with the Glazers, through Arnold. It's not like they're spotless either, like the De Jong saga last year dragging on for far too long, but they appear to be learning from their mistakes (hence moving on so quickly from Kane to another target this year).

I'm prepared to give the club the benefit of the doubt. I suspect a lot of other people aren't, hence the hyperbolic responses in every transfer thread.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Do we intend to sell both McTominay and Fred this season? I can see why we're asking 45m for McTominay if we intend to sell Fred since it's not a priority sale area for us and McTominay is a decent backup and also not a caustic presence in the dressing room.
If we are getting Amrabat, then no point in keeping McTominay. Fred I'd think twice about getting rid of, as Eriksen isn't exactly a perfect backup player. A lot depends on how we see Mainoo role this season. Plus Fred being on the last year is a bit problematic.

crossy1686

career ending
If we are getting Amrabat, then no point in keeping McTominay. Fred I'd think twice about getting rid of, as Eriksen isn't exactly a perfect backup player. A lot depends on how we see Mainoo role this season. Plus Fred being on the last year is a bit problematic.
There’s no way we’re going to offer Fred a new contract so it makes sense to sell him. McTomminay isn’t really for sale unless the right offer comes in, which means we’ve probably got other players lined up. There will surely be a plan at this point.

bringbackbebe

I haven't seen Amrabat play much except in the world cup - would be really be a "significant" upgrade over McTominay that it's worth doing this? I know McTominay gets a lot of flak here, some of it deserved but a lot of it not, but unless Amrabat is leaps and bounds ahead, neither will be first teamers and it won't make sense to swap backups, especially when one is home grown.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
West Ham don't seem to know what to do with all that money... well, actually they do... hopefully give the vast majority of it to us and anoint Moyes a latter day god.

Standing ovation next time he's at OT if he takes those 2 off us! Should throw in Fred and give us all of the Rice money. :wenger:

How up in arms are they on West Ham forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.