g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
There’s no way we’re going to offer Fred a new contract so it makes sense to sell him. McTomminay isn’t really for sale unless the right offer comes in, which means we’ve probably got other players lined up. There will surely be a plan at this point.
Fred resale value is probably the highest now so we might get a really good offer that would be stupid to reject. But if that doesn't happen and we get sth like 10m, then we might as well extend contract and sell him a year from now. It's not like he's declining.

crossy1686

career ending
I haven't seen Amrabat play much except in the world cup - would be really be a "significant" upgrade over McTominay that it's worth doing this? I know McTominay gets a lot of flak here, some of it deserved but a lot of it not, but unless Amrabat is leaps and bounds ahead, neither will be first teamers and it won't make sense to swap backups, especially when one is home grown.
I’m more than convinced it will make us softer in the middle. The PL is no joke in the middle of the park, Casemiro himself said the pace is much faster than La Liga, so we can presume it’s faster than Italy also. He’ll probably struggle to adapt and mostly play in Europe or cup games, whenever or not he has what it takes to play here is open for discussion I guess.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I haven't seen Amrabat play much except in the world cup - would be really be a "significant" upgrade over McTominay that it's worth doing this? I know McTominay gets a lot of flak here, some of it deserved but a lot of it not, but unless Amrabat is leaps and bounds ahead, neither will be first teamers and it won't make sense to swap backups, especially when one is home grown.
Neither have I. The point is McTominay is not even Casemiro backup, he's a sort of supporting midfielder and we have a few of them already so it just makes sense to sell McTominay if the reports about fee are true.

crossy1686

career ending
West Ham don't seem to know what to do with all that money... well, actually they do... hopefully give the vast majority of it to us and anoint Moyes a latter day god.

Standing ovation next time he's at OT if he takes those 2 off us! Should throw in Fred and give us all of the Rice money. :wenger:

How up in arms are they on West Ham forums?
To be fair, they can do a lot worse than McTomminay and Maguire. If I were a West Ham fan I’d be more than happy with those players coming in. They’ll be a mainstay for the next 3-5 years. If they think they’re going to go out and sign the next Haaland or something they need a reality check.

Telsim

Good deal for everyone. West Ham, as they are right now, are around his level. Never was a player fit for a top side, even as a squad option. Could be decent for them, though.

crossy1686

career ending
Fred resale value is probably the highest now so we might get a really good offer that would be stupid to reject. But if that doesn't happen and we get sth like 10m, then we might as well extend contract and sell him a year from now. It's not like he's declining.
There’s no point in extending contracts just to sell a player. We still have to pay him wages in that time, it’s better just to release him if there’s no bidders.

Real Name

I understand why people think Utd are awful in the market, they have been for years! And it's not so easy to trust that Murtough will turn things around when he is going to be associated with the Glazers, through Arnold. It's not like they're spotless either, like the De Jong saga last year dragging on for far too long, but they appear to be learning from their mistakes (hence moving on so quickly from Kane to another target this year).

I'm prepared to give the club the benefit of the doubt. I suspect a lot of other people aren't, hence the hyperbolic responses in every transfer thread.
That's the problem though, despite the fact we're making changes in transfer market and learning from mistakes there's hyperbole in every thread, not just transfers ones. Of course they're not spotless, on the contrary, but not all is so bad, we're making deals, moving on from targets which are nor achieveable and finally selling deadwood too. Yet you see - oh United is crap and buying, selling, negotiating, everything - posts.

OrcaFat

That's what negotiation is for. You dont set the lowest price for a start.
No but we simply have to get him out the door now.

Historically we don’t seem to be very good at negotiating. Over the years we’ve struggled to sell players we don’t need and have often made a mess of purchases as well (Fellaini being the classic example) and, pure speculation based on media hearsay, it stems from adopting an unrealistic stance at the beginning of negotiations. Expecting to get top dollar for surplus players and trying to buy at a bargain. We’re not the only ones doing it but we haven’t got good outcomes from this strategy.

Plastic Evra

Not taking a shot at anyone in particular and I understand the sentiment but I read a lot variations of "would be good for West Ham" (insert relevant club for each player) and it betrays some of the issue. United only seems to sell down to clubs at least a tier below (no disrespect to anyone intended)... I'm sure I'm forgetting some names here but who was the last established player United sold upward or laterally to top clubs ? Lukaku ? I see a few names that's would qualify in Transfermarkt (Di Maria, Welbeck...) but it's infrequent. The players are not just up to that level or have been rotting so long at the long end of the bench they appear stagnant.

West Ham is relatively a rich club but I think it's going to be hard to do really good business for United with them.

That said while 45m£ is too much for McTominay, it's not outrageously so. Not unrealistic starting point for negociations. Certainly the most valuable player that may be in the shop's window.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
To be fair, they can do a lot worse than McTomminay and Maguire. If I were a West Ham fan I’d be more than happy with those players coming in. They’ll be a mainstay for the next 3-5 years. If they think they’re going to go out and sign the next Haaland or something they need a reality check.
You'd like to think they can do a lot better too - from their fan perspective - not that I'm complaining in the slightest. Moyes comes full circle and benefits us with his near-sightedness.

But, yeah, theoretically, it could actually prove to be a sterling pair to purchase, which would make Moyes a shrewd, genial man on top of a saviour.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
There’s no point in extending contracts just to sell a player. We still have to pay him wages in that time, it’s better just to release him if there’s no bidders.
Personally I wouldn't dive into that topic, Fred has been out of ETH favour (despite having his best season yet) and is most likely gone this summer anyway.

Castia

He's 23? Like I said, in his first PL season he did better than McTominay has ever managed and will probably ever manage.

That’s fair enough but he’s played 1 season and hasn’t been able to get first team football since. I remember not so long ago Lingard looking like prime Ronaldinho for that 1 season at West Ham as well

Last edited:

bringbackbebe

This is not the United way of doing things. If we offer them a new contract, we protect their value for the future, just like we did with Phil Jones, Bailly etc.

OrcaFat

Not taking a shot at anyone in particular and I understand the sentiment but I read a lot variations of "would be good for West Ham" (insert relevant club for each player) and it betrays some of the issue. United only seems to sell down to clubs at least a tier below (no disrespect to anyone intended)... I'm sure I'm forgetting some names here but who was the last established player United sold upward or laterally to top clubs ? Lukaku ? I see a few names that's would qualify in Transfermarkt (Di Maria, Welbeck...) but it's infrequent. The players are not just up to that level or have been rotting so long at the long end of the bench they appear stagnant.

West Ham is relatively a rich club but I think it's going to be hard to do really good business for United with them.

That said while 45m£ is too much for McTominay, it's not outrageously so. Not unrealistic starting point for negociations. Certainly the most valuable player that may be in the shop's window.
£25m would be a good deal for us. £45m is almost double that, imo it is a bit outrageous as a starting point.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It looks like Fred is more likely to be sold than McTominay. I think Scott only goes if he pushes for a move or we receive a big offer. ten Hag likes him as a back up option.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
West Ham should go for somebody like Zubimendi. They should look to improve as a team with their big windfall from Rice - signing McTominay will just send them backwards. He's a nothing player.

Zubimendi has a 60m euro release clause, they should be testing the waters.

lysglimt

Scout
That's good for Scotland. I've watched him close to 200 times for United. He's shite. You really think he's worth £50m?
What I think is irrelevant - he is worth what someone is willing to pay. Is he worth as much as Mount - probably not. Should he cost a lot less than say - Conor Gallacher - probably not.

But if Havertz cost £65m, Barnes and Maddison (from a relegated side) cost £38m and 40m respectively and Declan Rice cost £105 m - to name some transferred midfielders in his age-range - then I would say his value should be in the range of £40-50m. What in your opinion is the correct fee in todays market for a guy who is 26 years old, whose contract isn't running down - and who has played on average close to 30 league games for United over the last 4 seasons ?

Used correctly - McTominay can be a very efficient midfielder - if that team is Man United under ETH is a another matter. But he has been used regularly by Mourinho, OGS, Rangnick and ETH - so clearly he is not shite, or is it your opinion that these 4 managers are clueless ?

But players with 200+ games for United and 40 caps for Scotland are rarely shite.

OrcaFat

A product of our youth academy who was getting quite regular appearances in a team competing for top domestically and in Europe, but just falling short what is required to be elite going for only £25m? Jesus no wonder everyone is trying to undercut us.
When he was playing regularly for us, he was one of the reasons we didn’t do better. Him and Fred cost us a lot of points with their poor possession play especially at the end of games - they could not cope with aggressive fight-backs. We drew a lot of games from winning positions. Ole had little choice but to play them. It didn’t work out.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He can't ve any worse than what he has shown at United recently. Last year (bar the first few games) he was abysmal
Was one of the best players in one of the last game he started for us.

Abysmal is way too extreme, sometimes he was good, mostly he wasn't great, but then he was in and out of the team.

OrcaFat

Why is it hard to accept that he should go? He isn't good enough. What is it with Scott McTominay that people love?

If he is cover for those players than our chances are truely fecked.
Some people like McT. It’s hard to say why. I used to hope he would develop the weaker parts of his game and turn himself into a very good no6. He has some of the right attributes. But it’s clear that will never happen. He could be a decent no8 depending on what you want from your no8. If you want to keep the ball and pass through midfield then he is not your man and never will be.

Ace of Spades

If us being close to signing Amrabat is true, then we will sell Mctominay almost certainly. That probably includes Fred and VDB as well. Need money coming in to balance ffp.

Bogga

If he doesn't get some minutes tonight, is that a sign he's ready to go? Or how would you guys interpret him playing or not?

Brophs

The One and Only
I haven’t looked at the story too much but it seems quite telling that we have United-focussed journos telling the story from West Ham’s perspective. Motivated sellers.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Oh no we're so bad at selling our players.

Set the price for McTominay.

Oh no we're overpricing him.
I mean there were people on this forum that said we should snap PSG's hand off for £20m for Marcus Rashford last summer... so yeah...

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Nathan Collins just went for 23m and I’d have him over Maguire any day. Todibo would certainly cost less too. Van der Ven would likely be cheaper too. Maguire has been detrimental to our team, anything above that would be an improvement, which isn’t hard.
Good lord.

Kag

We live on another plant. Take £30m and run.
Indeed. Some of the takes in this thread are outrageous.

McTominay isn’t even good enough to be a squad player here. Squad players come in when the likes of Bruno and Casemiro are out and ensure the team doesn’t drop off a cliff.

People hankering for £40 million need to ask themselves: if Casemiro is out for the season, what happens to our midfield? Does McTominay fill that gap adequately?

We all know the answer. It’s likely the difference between finishing top four or not.

Take anything around £30 million and bring in some proper cover for Casemiro.

Josep Dowling

Might want to do a bit of fact checking as well.

Might also want to watch football games too...

He is part of the reason our midfield doesn't control games but he wasnt first choice?

How many Serie A games have you watched Amrabat play btw?
I’ve seen plenty of McTominay to know he’s not good enough for United. He had less involvement last season because he hides in games and not good enough on the ball. He thrives in games when we set up defensively, he’s perfect for West Ham in that respect. If we want to progress our football he needs to be moved on.

Withnail

Why would we sell anyone upwards or laterally? If we are selling someone good enough for any team on our level or doing better than us, then something's gone horribly wrong or we've got a squad overflowing with talent (which I can't see happening in the immediate future).

Status
Not open for further replies.