Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinostar77

Ah. So not content on playing our key LB out of position now you want to move our key DM to CB too. Anyone who thinks we won’t sign a CB if we sell Maguire is out of their mind.
Isnt that why we have been liked with desei the CB from monaco? If maguire goes, they will bring someone in. Unless they sign Evans for the season. 4 x CB is the minimum for a top side competing for multiple trophies.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Anything over £30m would be an amazing deal for us. Though I think he’s average for us but he would be a big upgrade on Soucek for West Ham. I don’t rate that lump one bit.

Dominos

I'm surprised at how much hate this tweet has received.

I know the market is crazy but there's some overrating of Mctominay on here. He's got decent physicality, not very good technically, hides from the ball a lot when his team is in possession. He's also about 5th or 6th choice, once Casemiro got his place in the team after the opening 7 games or so, Mctominay was massively out of favour.

We should try squeeze the most out of it obviously but if we're serious about asking West Ham for £45m then we're probably going to scare them away. They've had an injection of cash for the Rice sale but very rare you'll see a club of West Ham's profile spend this sort of money on just a half decent player.

scottser

I know the market is crazy but there's some overrating of Mctominay on here. He's got decent physicality, not very good technically, hides from the ball a lot when his team is in possession. He's also about 5th or 6th choice, once Casemiro got his place in the team after the opening 7 games or so, Mctominay was massively out of favour.

We should try squeeze the most out of it obviously but if we're serious about asking West Ham for £45m then we're probably going to scare them away. They've had an injection of cash for the Rice sale but very rare you'll see a club of West Ham's profile spend this sort of money on just a half decent player.
Quoting outrageous money for players is par for the course at the start of any negotiation. Nobody's going to get scared away and we're not going to start shrieking like Levy with ridiculous red lines. It'll get done smoothly to everybody's satisfaction in due course.

Goldbridge's 'x' is a bit of a nonsense to be fair.

Dominos

Quoting outrageous money for players is par for the course at the start of any negotiation. Nobody's going to get scared away and we're not going to start shrieking like Levy with ridiculous red lines. It'll get done smoothly to everybody's satisfaction in due course.
That's fine, but I think the point is if we do want rid of him we're likely going to have to be willing to come down a lot lower than £45m.

The brief is that we're happy to keep him if we don't receive the price we set, but I find it hard to believe ETH is a fan, he's technically not very good and was out of favour for most of the season. His value will only diminish from this point, we should cash in while his value is at it's highest. I suspect it's just negotiating spin.

But the criticism of Goldbridge seems to be from people actually believing Mctominay is worth £45m and we'd be dumb to accept £30m, which seems crazy to me.

Borussia Teeth

Anyone putting McTominey’s value at over £40 million is mad.

He is a box to box midfielder who isn’t a great passer, has a tendency to hide when receiving the ball in possession and isn’t the greatest technically. He would have been a top player on the 90s, not today.

Look at the midfields of the midtable teams doing well in 2023. They are full of footballers that can pass, move, receive the ball under pressure and play in progressive systems.

We are lucky that West Ham still have an old school manager in charge that fancies a box to box energy player and a slow CB. 55 million would be fair for both of them, considering McTominey’s deficiencies and Maguire’s contract.
I agree with you mate. We'd be crazy to let this West Ham interest slip.

Lots of posters saying things like 'we need to put our foot down.' 'We need to get better at selling' etc. I agree that we need to improve in that aspect but I feel a lot of people forget that we have tried this shit before: we extended Bailly to protect value; he's still here. We slapped an 18m price tag on Rojo when both Wolves and Everton were interested; he eventually went on a free. Also £18m for Darmian when Juve wanted him; had to let him go to Parma for peanuts with 6 months on his contract. After Lingard's loan we valued him at 30m with a year left; also went on a free. Had a 7m offer from Everton for Romero; another one ending up as a free.

If we overprice our players we end up getting stuck with them. We pay another year (sometimes more) of their wages and their value depreciates further due to lack of playing time and less years on the contract.

Moyes is the only Manager in the Prem at a club that has enough money and would also actually want these two players. Let's not price him out of it because we won't have other takers.

Rauður Djöfull

So Utd briefed 45m so West Ham can bid and they come to agreement at 40?

Does he not need replacing with some HG player or are we thinking Mainoo?

Belisarius

I agree with you mate. We'd be crazy to let this West Ham interest slip.

Lots of posters saying things like 'we need to put our foot down.' 'We need to get better at selling' etc. I agree that we need to improve in that aspect but I feel a lot of people forget that we have tried this shit before: we extended Bailly to protect value; he's still here. We slapped an 18m price tag on Rojo when both Wolves and Everton were interested; he eventually went on a free. Also £18m for Darmian when Juve wanted him; had to let him go to Parma for peanuts with 6 months on his contract. After Lingard's loan we valued him at 30m with a year left; also went on a free. Had a 7m offer from Everton for Romero; another one ending up as a free.

If we overprice our players we end up getting stuck with them. We pay another year (sometimes more) of their wages and their value depreciates further due to lack of playing time and less years on the contract.

Moyes is the only Manager in the Prem at a club that has enough money and would also actually want these two players. Let's not price him out of it because we won't have other takers.
Completely agree with this post. I think we'll end up selling to West Ham for an initial fee of 33m with about 2-4m in add-ons.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Fee shouldn’t be under 40m that’s for sure. He’s not a player that suits a top team but for the mid table and lower he’d be a good asset. Pay up feckers.

criticalanalysis

So if United sell the pair we have hardly any players left to blame when things don’t work out. Heads will explode
Don't worry mate, I'll be waiting for you in a certain someone's thread.

First cup game of the season, an aerial ball or an attacker running with the ball in the first minute. I can sense the lack of authority and back peddling already :drool:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
So if United sell the pair we have hardly any players left to blame when things don’t work out. Heads will explode
Wan Bissaka.

Will shut down the right side for 12+games, get beaten once & people will cry that he is useless & taking the spot of our Trent alexander arnolds.

dasty

The very same people that were constantly moaning and crying that we are bad at selling players are now asking for McTominay to be sold for a pack of peanuts.

Do you know why are we always selling players way below their value? Because our so called fans are more than willing to destroy the value of our players by meme-ing and bashing on them relentlessly, with social media as their ammunition. Turn your own player into a joke then expect to receive joke offers.

Abraxas

The very same people that were constantly moaning and crying that we are bad at selling players are now asking for McTominay to be sold for a pack of peanuts.

Do you know why are we always selling players way below their value? Because our so called fans are more than willing to destroy the value of our players by meme-ing and bashing on them relentlessly, with social media as their ammunition. Turn your own player into a joke then expect to receive joke offers.
Makes no sense. If West Ham shared the opinion of our fans or in any way conducted their analysis on the strength of a forum or social media they wouldn't be interested to start with because McTominay has been criticised for years. Giving fan opinion a wee bit too much credit I think.

Tarrou

it would be absolutely insane to me if West Ham coughed up 40 million for McTominay

all would be forgiven Moyesy

Sid234

I mean, if United think he's worth 45m, that's the price.. doesnt matter what idiots online think.

reddev3

Fee shouldn’t be under 40m that’s for sure. He’s not a player that suits a top team but for the mid table and lower he’d be a good asset. Pay up feckers.
Why shouldn't the fee not be under 40 million? If no one offers 40+ million which is incredibly unlikely as he's not that good (he's also not the bad which is why people are interested at 25+ million which is still a biggish budget buy for teams that don't see the champions league). You said yourself he doesn't suit a top team and we're a top team so we need be reasonable and sell for decent fee while we can.

One of the reasons why we have been getting crap fees or no fee at all is because we hold on to players longer than we should have.

if West Ham offer that 37.5+2.75 they offered for Gallagher I suspect we would bite their hand off but we will probably both sit down and negotiate a fee of around 35 million and all walk away happy, hopefully anyway as I'd let him go for 30.

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

If the club and certain fans think we are achieving a fee of £40m plus for McTominay then we’re stuck with him. He’s an above average Premier League footballer who sometimes has good games but very often goes hiding. He’s part of the reason our midfield can’t control the ball.

He’s having a key role with Scotland but apart from beating Spain the teams they’re playing are also pretty average and Scotland should be beating them. At 27 years old anything between £20-30m seems about right.

Heck we could be buying Amrabat for around £20m. He’s younger and has far better ability.

finneh

From a FFP perspective though the break even point on Maguire is 27M so if you sell him for 25M you have actually reduced the amount available to invest on his replacement by 2M. Selling players with amoritized contracts is not that beneficial unless you get good money and that is why Erik is perfectly happy to keep him and the club is not pushing for his sale.
His replacement would be on £5m less per year though which would offset that slight loss.

Giggsyking

No logic here. If clubs goes by fans opinion, we would not be stuck with Bailly and instead have buyers ready to pay 50m.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
40 Million for him is delusional, half that is more realistic.
Elanga 15 million and McTominay 20 million? I’d like him sold but he’s been a starter for us in seasons we’ve finished in the top 4. This isn’t 2002.

Giggsyking

From a FFP perspective though the break even point on Maguire is 27M so if you sell him for 25M you have actually reduced the amount available to invest on his replacement by 2M. Selling players with amoritized contracts is not that beneficial unless you get good money and that is why Erik is perfectly happy to keep him and the club is not pushing for his sale.
His salary must be calculated too. He has 26.6 m left in amortization and 20m in salary for two years. If you buy a player with lower salary then you break even and maybe make profit.

Sir Chapman

If the rumours are true, and we are being offered 40 mio. for McTominay, then it would be an exceptional deal for us. They just got 100 mio. so maybe it is a good chance we get a good offer. Nevertheless, I think around 25 to max. 30 mio is equal to his quality and experience/age. Let's put Harry on that list and sell them both for 60 Mio. and we are fine :)

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Maguire is useless anyway, just sign Evans for a season as 5th choice option. Save the money and use it to get proper competition or top prospect CB next year. Also ETH has clearly mentioned in the past that he won't play Maguire at LCB so basically he is a 3rd choice RCB in 200k weekly wage.
Hasn't aged well.

Real Name

Oh no we're so bad at selling our players.

Set the price for McTominay.

Oh no we're overpricing him.

Steve 007

30m for McT and 40m for Maguire. I like McT he’s an athlete and a hard worker but it’s time to go.

Skills

Snitch
Yet he’s never done anything since or before? Not good enough for the Chelsea squad whilst Scott for better or worse has been a regular player for United.

Like I said I think both are average and both should be at a Palace or West Ham
He's 23? Like I said, in his first PL season he did better than McTominay has ever managed and will probably ever manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.