Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Give me some options of CB’s that’s better than Maguire for under £30m.

Maguire is not good enough for a top club like United to start every week, I get that. But let’s not pretend that he wouldn’t look decent at a mid table club. I’d rather keep him as 3rd/4th choice than flog him on the cheap.
Nathan Collins just went for 23m and I’d have him over Maguire any day. Todibo would certainly cost less too. Van der Ven would likely be cheaper too. Maguire has been detrimental to our team, anything above that would be an improvement, which isn’t hard.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Some United fans on here really suprise me. As general rule in life, if you don't value what is yours then no one else will. Letting go of Mctominay and Maguire for less than £60M would be insane. These are both starter quality for any team outside the top six and are internationally starting players. Mctominay is not a DM, he's a box to box CM, who will offer high energy and goals from the midfield. Maguire is one of the better aerial defenders in the league, who can carry the ball and pick a pass in the right system. They are also both good character players. When they lost their starter statuses, both keep their heads down and worked, unlike a certain egotistical maniac who tried to torpedo our progress.

Sure their time has come here, but that doesn't mean we should view them as the worst possible version of what they are. Instead we should see them for what they can be in the right setup, as those will be the teams coming for them.

finneh

Except that’s not the logic. We won’t (or at least shouldn’t) have FFP to contend with in 2 years, as we clearly do this summer.

His contract is an issue, one last feck up from the old regime.
£40m over 5 years would be an extra £8m this year and next for FFP; the difference in salaries for these two years alone would be £5m in this scenario.

Therefore if we're really in the position as a club that we're taking a £35m financial hit over 2 years in order to save £3m this year for FFP then we should all be very worried. In truth even then we'd be better off taking the six figure slap on the wrist for a slight breach (or we could just sell Williams for £3m).

Nep77

Maguire is useless anyway, just sign Evans for a season as 5th choice option. Save the money and use it to get proper competition or top prospect CB next year. Also ETH has clearly mentioned in the past that he won't play Maguire at LCB so basically he is a 3rd choice RCB in 200k weekly wage.

dinostar77

Some United fans on here really suprise me. As general rule in life, if you don't value what is yours then no one else will. Letting go of Mctominay and Maguire for less than £60M would be insane. These are both starter quality for any team outside the top six and are internationally starting players. Mctominay is not a DM, he's a box to box CM, who will offer high energy and goals from the midfield. Maguire is one of the better aerial defenders in the league, who can carry the ball and pick a pass in the right system. They are also both good character players. When they lost their starter statuses, both keep their heads down and worked, unlike a certain egotistical maniac who tried to torpedo our progress.

Sure their time has come here, but that doesn't mean we should view them as the worst possible version of what they are. Instead we should see them for what they can be in the right setup, as those will be the teams coming for them.
It really isnt. Because of the wages we pay, we either ask for a higher transfer and supplement the wages as buying club cant match them and player A wont take a paycut. Or we ask for a lower fee and get them off the books completely.

Look at what klopp and guardiola got their clubs to do when they joined. They had firesales to get the players the manager didnt want out of the club.

Whether we get £40mil for each player remains to be seen. But if we can get them out of the club and bring in better players who fit the philosophy better than so be it.

Borussia Teeth

If Enzo and Rice are being purchased for over £100m then the market is fecked and we should be chasing up £50m for McTominay. Hilariously he has better stats than both.
The type of clubs that spend upwards of £50m, even £40m, will not be in for McTominay. Transfer valuations are not as simple as this player went for x so that player is worth y, despite that being how most of the caf seem to think it works.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Apparently we want 45m. If we get that we’ve really hit a lick. We’d be on track to recoup 100m this window if we got that deal done. Hilariously close to what we paid for Mason Mount.

daba

Maguire is useless anyway, just sign Evans for a season as 5th choice option. Save the money and use it to get proper competition or top prospect CB next year. Also ETH has clearly mentioned in the past that he won't play Maguire at LCB so basically he is a 3rd choice RCB in 200k weekly wage.
Evans for a season is fine. Lindelof has actually improved significantly under ETH and is pretty reliable in terms of injuries.

Most of Maguire’s minutes last year were pity minutes I felt, Evans would be absolutely fine as a 5th choice. In fact, in terms of character and impact on the dressing I think he’d be a vast improvement.

Save the spare change for next summer and go buy one of the future star CBs (A. Silva, Scalvini or Diomande) or use the extra funds to get Lavia instead of Amrabat.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
It really isnt. Because of the wages we pay, we either ask for a higher transfer and supplement the wages as buying club cant match them and player A wont take a paycut. Or we ask for a lower fee and get them off the books completely.

Look at what klopp and guardiola got their clubs to do when they joined. They had firesales to get the players the manager didnt want out of the club.

Whether we get £40mil for each player remains to be seen. But if we can get them out of the club and bring in better players who fit the philosophy better than so be it.
£60M is the maximum concession we should allow for the wage issue IMO. Maguire will play at a similar level for the next 4 years and Scottie for the next 7 at least. If West ham get these two and ward prowse for less than the Declan Rice , they would have upgraded their team and squad significantly while still making money.

Gandalf

Surely by that logic we'll need to spend £40m to replace him in two years anyway?

Therefore the options are to sell him now for say £25m and replace him with a younger, potentally better player (on half the wages) for £40m; or we release him in two years and still need to invest the same £40m; having also paid £20m in wages.

In this scenario the cost of keeping Maguire over the next two years and then replacing him will be £60m (£40m for a replacement and £20m for his wages). The cost of replacing him now over the next 2 years would be £25m (his transfer fee + £15m for a replacement; plus £10m in wages).

It's far, far more expensive over the next two years to keep Maguire than to sell him now, even if the player we replace him with is more expensive.
From a FFP perspective though the break even point on Maguire is 27M so if you sell him for 25M you have actually reduced the amount available to invest on his replacement by 2M. Selling players with amoritized contracts is not that beneficial unless you get good money and that is why Erik is perfectly happy to keep him and the club is not pushing for his sale.

Varun1

When mid table teams are selling players for £105m, I expect them to be able to pay fair value for a player.
Selling to a top 4 team with money to spend.
Besides, how do you decide what is fair value?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He’s pretty much a perfect mid table player for a club like West Ham and scores lots of goals. £40m seems a reasonable price.

Leonzo1

If Chelsea can refuse 50 Mil for Gallagher then 45 for Mctominay is a pretty fair valuation for Mctominay. It's time we start putting our foot down in the transfer market. Whether it's as the buying club or the selling club. Mctominay is a proven PL player and a regular international. He can be very useful as the most Offensive CM for a midtable club such as Westham or Fulham. The overrating of opposition players while underrating our own is bonkers on here. Why can Chelsea sell all they're unwanted players for decent prices while we pray someone will throw a tenner at us to take on of our players.

If Chelsea can refuse 50 Mil for Gallagher then 45 for Mctominay is a pretty fair valuation for Mctominay. It's time we start putting our foot down in the transfer market. Whether it's as the buying club or the selling club. Mctominay is a proven PL player and a regular international. He can be very useful as the most Offensive CM for a midtable club such as Westham or Fulham. The overrating of opposition players while underrating our own is bonkers on here. Why can Chelsea sell all they're unwanted players for decent prices while we pray someone will throw a tenner at us to take on of our players.
Aye, Chelsea just came off their shittest season in decades and may well manage to pull in 110m quid for fecking Havertz and Gallagher, two of their shittest players, it’s beyond insane.

glasgow 21

From a FFP perspective though the break even point on Maguire is 27M so if you sell him for 25M you have actually reduced the amount available to invest on his replacement by 2M. Selling players with amoritized contracts is not that beneficial unless you get good money and that is why Erik is perfectly happy to keep him and the club is not pushing for his sale.
Sorry not getting at you but can someone please explain FFP and balance sheet finally and correctly as the above doesn't make sense to me. Surely wages and amort come into play in FFP? as Maguire £21.8m amort and wages would give us a net gain of circa £20m on balance sheet if moved on for 25m ?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Anyone putting McTominey’s value at over £40 million is mad.

He is a box to box midfielder who isn’t a great passer, has a tendency to hide when receiving the ball in possession and isn’t the greatest technically. He would have been a top player on the 90s, not today.

Look at the midfields of the midtable teams doing well in 2023. They are full of footballers that can pass, move, receive the ball under pressure and play in progressive systems.

We are lucky that West Ham still have an old school manager in charge that fancies a box to box energy player and a slow CB. 55 million would be fair for both of them, considering McTominey’s deficiencies and Maguire’s contract.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Do you mean combined?
Yes £50m for both would be great business considering they aren’t even second or third choice for the club. Think most on here would take £20m for Maguire just to shift him on, McT should get £25m plus, he’s a good player just not in our system.

crossy1686

career ending
Sorry - have a missed us signing a CB? And don’t say Luke Shaw - him playing there in an emergency for any prolonged period of time completely nullifies any thought of attacking threat we have at LB.
Luke Shaw, I said it.

We can get through one season with him as backup CB, it won’t be an issue. Casemiro can also play CB if needed.

crossy1686

career ending
Why McT? I am surprised how myth about him being dmc is still alive. He is not no6 and never will be. On no8 we have Mount and Eriksen (and Fred if he stays).
I don’t know what all these numbers mean, I just mean we need more bodies in midfield because we can’t rely on the kid that played against Arsenal and Eriksen, seeing as Fred seems to be off also.

crossy1686

career ending
Ah. So not content on playing our key LB out of position now you want to move our key DM to CB too. Anyone who thinks we won’t sign a CB if we sell Maguire is out of their mind.
I don’t want to move anyone, I want people to stay fit, but if someone gets injured or suspended then we have plenty of players who can fill in and probably will fill in before Maguire even gets a sniff at playing. So just sell him and cover that position next season.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
McTominay is lower wage so quite an easy sell as he almost certainly gets a raise at West Ham, he is pure FFP profit so it makes sense we want to get as much for him as possible. It won't be £40mil, it probably gets done at around £32mil+£3mil. Which is fine given his value will decrease over the course of this season of he doesn't play.

Maguire is trickier as his value amortises over a longer period, but you probably might take a break even fee to cover the rest of that value or even slightly less than if McTominay is sold and have the wage off the books.

His situation is clear and probably won't get any better, buying teams understand this and England international or not, his value to US is quite low, teams will exploit that.

Anything over £60mil combined is a blinder from the club.

Djemba-Djemba

Anything 35m and above I'd be delighted with.

If Chelsea are turning down 40m for Gallagher then I think we're within our rights to be demanding that for Mctominay

Devil You Know

Why post the opinion of some idiot?

He hasn't been through the newbies. He shouldn't be given the chance to cut the line and have his bullsh*t opinions posted on the mains forum.

If he was a journalist with a source or providing a deep analysis supported by stats, tweets would be fine. Otherwise, nonsense like this needs to be kept out of here.

Status
Not open for further replies.