Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

r0663664

Worships Man City
McTominay will see little time on the pitch. He is likely on the bench and only coming on to protect a lead. He is currently behind Eriksen, Bruno, Mount, Casemiro and Kobbie. I rather play Fred than McTominay so he needs to move to another club to save his career. Utd should accept any serious bid even if it 20-25 mil. Don't repeat Lingard situation, I am still shocked that we kept Lingard around for so long. That's goes for Martial, Fred, VDB and Maguire. If there is any decent bidder, don't hesitate to sell.

James35

If McTominay was playing for another team, I’m pretty sure it would be an incredibly small amount of people who would actually want us to buy him and even then, certainly not for £40m regardless of what Connor Gallagher goes for.

I’d be happy if we took £25m for him. Maybe £30m with add ons.

Red Comet

If McTominay was playing for another team, I’m pretty sure it would be an incredibly small amount of people who would actually want us to buy him and even then, certainly not for £40m regardless of what Connor Gallagher goes for.

A product of our youth academy who was getting quite regular appearances in a team competing for top domestically and in Europe, but just falling short what is required to be elite going for only £25m? Jesus no wonder everyone is trying to undercut us.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Hes a better player than Gallagher. Not being good enough for United doesn't change that, if Gallagher was at United we would have the same issue

romufc

McTominay will see little time on the pitch. He is likely on the bench and only coming on to protect a lead. He is currently behind Eriksen, Bruno, Mount, Casemiro and Kobbie. I rather play Fred than McTominay so he needs to move to another club to save his career. Utd should accept any serious bid even if it 20-25 mil. Don't repeat Lingard situation, I am still shocked that we kept Lingard around for so long. That's goes for Martial, Fred, VDB and Maguire. If there is any decent bidder, don't hesitate to sell.
This is the problem, there is no decent bidder yet for any of these players.

Skills

Snitch
Hes a better player than Gallagher. Not being good enough for United doesn't change that, if Gallagher was at United we would have the same issue
How? What part of football is he better at than Gallagher?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

I still hold the opinion that he’s the same player as Rice (all be it slightly worse) if he played for West Ham he’d stick out as amazingly better than the rest as Rice did.

Cassidy

How? What part of football is he better at than Gallagher?
All parts of midfield except being someone who can get in the box and score which he can actually do to.
I don't rate Gallagher one bit

daba

25+5 feels right and fair

cyberman

All parts of midfield except being someone who can get in the box and score which he can actually do to.
I don't rate Gallagher one bit
13 league goals in 100 appearances. Using that as a guide, Gallagher will have scored 6 more EPL goals than Scott when he reaches Scott’s 144 league appearances.
I don’t see where the big difference in value comes from here. In fact they’ll be level pegging in goals when taking into account cup goals.
We have a serious habit of underselling our own players
I’m not even including the international goals and performances from the Scottish Kaka by the way

Cassidy

13 league goals in 100 appearances. Using that as a guide, Gallagher will have scored 6 more EPL goals than Scott when he reaches Scott’s 144 league appearances.
I don’t see where the big difference in value comes from here. In fact they’ll be level pegging in goals when taking into account cup goals.
We have a serious habit of underselling our own players
I’m not even including the international goals and performances from the Scottish Kaka by the way
Indeed, his spell at Palace is what seems to have people confused

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils

If he was playing for West Ham with his goal scoring prowess see o we time with us, he would have been hyped up to the moon and would easily be seen a £100m player by now.

AndySmith1990

If he was playing for West Ham with his goal scoring prowess see o we time with us, he would have been hyped up to the moon and would easily be seen a £100m player by now.
If we signed him from another club he'd receive a worse reception than Fellaini

Siorac

Do people realise that saying 40m is just a negotiation tactic? Chelsea said they wanted 80m for Mount when we were first linked.

When West Ham actually put in a bid, we will see, I guarantee you, £30m we would sell.
I'm not talking about the club using negotiation tactics. I'm saying there are people in this thread who say we should hold out for at least 35-40m which is insane. And I do hope the club doesn't have the same attitude and instead settles on a realistic price, something someone is hopefully willing to pay.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
If we signed him from another club he'd receive a worse reception than Fellaini
Not true, Mctomainy is s player I don't rate much, Yes he's no good on the ball or good in a possession based team, but they're attributes he's got in the defensive department that a defensive minded coach alas Jose would appreciate.

He's a real fighter when he's up for it, those are things teams like West Ham and Newcastle would appreciate more than having a Guti. H, and he scores goals, I'll like to see Declan Rice goal record vs Mctomainy in the league!?

James35

A product of our youth academy who was getting quite regular appearances in a team competing for top domestically and in Europe, but just falling short what is required to be elite going for only £25m? Jesus no wonder everyone is trying to undercut us.
He was getting a lot of play time when our midfield options were not that good and now we have and are looking at adding better players he won’t play much at all. Plus he is a rather limited player, not close to being elite - coming through our youth academy or not.

Maybe if we could sell as well as teams like Chelsea then we could get more but we don’t. Gallagher may be overpriced but he is younger, also an international player and on less money than McTominay which also factor in to it.

£25m + add ons would be a very good price in my opinion and I reckon the club would take it.

flappyjay

Football fans have short memories. When we were finishing in the top 4 with Ole, McFred were dominating when we beat our top 6 rivals(remember when we used to beat the top 6). Our great games against PSG had McFred starting. They might not be United quality but bloody hell the midtable clubs and clubs with hopes of making it into Europe would be lucky to have them. Pre season Pirlo would sell for 30m if Fulham decided to sell, let that sink in.

Borussia Teeth

Agreed. I think we should sell all of the bold and not get too greedy with our valuations. Don't want any of them here next season.

Djemba-Djemba

Football fans have short memories. When we were finishing in the top 4 with Ole, McFred were dominating when we beat our top 6 rivals(remember when we used to beat the top 6). Our great games against PSG had McFred starting. They might not be United quality but bloody hell the midtable clubs and clubs with hopes of making it into Europe would be lucky to have them. Pre season Pirlo would sell for 30m if Fulham decided to sell, let that sink in.
You mean last season?

Yeah I remember that.

wolvored

£30 mill plus a small add on with x games played, we should be looking for imo. Hes entering his 'prime' years and could be a mainstay for a West Ham or similar ilk. Some here have said hes as good as Gallagher and Rice, but he really isnt. Mainoo and maybe even Gore look a better bet long term.
If we get the £30 mill this will mean we swap Mctom with a much better player when we sign Amrabat for the same amount.

Wolverine

Should try and get as much of a fee as possible for him. Would be decent as starter for other teams esp with habit of goalscoring instincts and ability as occasional shown with us and Scotland when has regular run of games.
Need to balance that however against our financial situation to have funds/FFP compliance in order to recruit striker and back up for casemiro

The Purley King

Because he’s home grown that will help massively with ffp as well.
So 25m for mctom would be more beneficial than for someone else we have signed

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

I think this is interesting. When Sancho came back last year he tried him as an 8 a few times. If Mctominay leaves it could see Sancho moving to an attacking 8 allowing us to spend on another attacker in addition to Hojlund.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
People are obsessed with Caicedo. But the question is where does he play?
Don't know about others but I feel he would be a great asset and gives our team depth. Not like the existing players will be played for all 50+ games next season. Also he gives us tactical flexibility. But never gonna happen so....

Castia

Gallagher did more in a season at Palace than McTominay will manage at any point in his career.

Yet he’s never done anything since or before? Not good enough for the Chelsea squad whilst Scott for better or worse has been a regular player for United.

Like I said I think both are average and both should be at a Palace or West Ham

Djemba-Djemba

We had a bad record against the top 9 last season actually. Under Ole our record home and away against top teams was great.
Away maybe but you just said remember when we beat the top 6 and I'm pointing out we beat them all at some point last season.

We beat City, Arsenal, Liverpool Chelsea and Spurs at home last season for the first time since I think 2011, plus Newcastle in the cup final.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
People are obsessed with Caicedo. But the question is where does he play?
Backup for Case. Because that is how football works. You buy a player for 80 mil for cover.
Kidding aside, ideal scenario would be;
Case-Mount as first duo.
Cheap dmc, Eriksen, Mainoo as backup. McT, Fred and Donny should leave. Maybe i would keep Fred if we can't buy another cheap option for dmc (Amrabat if he is cheap).

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.

I think this is interesting. When Sancho came back last year he tried him as an 8 a few times. If Mctominay leaves it could see Sancho moving to an attacking 8 allowing us to spend on another attacker in addition to Hojlund.
At no stage of his career has Sancho displayed the defensive acumen, or the type of non stop box to box workrate required to be an 8 attacking or otherwise. However it is a very smart move by ETH to try him as a false 9 as it allows him to do everything he is good at (finding pockets of space, connecting play, finding incisive passes in last third, ect) whilst not requiring him to do most of the things he's not good at.

croadyman

The cheap additional attacker options have disappeared off the table in Thuram/Dembele,that Taremi is still there but we don't seem that interested by the looks of it

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Still think we should go for a BOGOF. Sign Fred or Scotty (I'd rather keep McT) and get Harry free... Seriously, I can see Scotty going to West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.