Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrecking ralf

You aren’t finding a better CB than Maguire for £30m. This is why getting fair value is important. We want to improve our options at CB not worsen them.
I’d rather keep Lindelof as 3rd choice and give Harry’s minutes to Kambwala over keeping him.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I’d rather keep Lindelof as 3rd choice and give Harry’s minutes to Kambwala over keeping him.
That would be a very good way of ruining a young prospect, who is oft injured as is.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Ah yes. A youngster who has never made a senior appearance in his life, has only played a handful of U21 games and can’t stay fit for 2 weeks. He’s definitely a better option than regular England starter Harry Maguire.

kaku06

Give me the players you would sign for under £30m this summer. Pau Torres has fallen off considerably, he’s nowhere near as good as you think he is.

I haven’t once said Maguire was a good signing. Ridiculous fee, ridiculous wages.
So how on earth do you sell a 30yr old slow centre back on ridiculous wages for £40m? Because that’s your value.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Now you have a whopping 50m to replace Maguire and Mctominay.
2 x traffic cones.

Camouflage one so it’s teammates can never find it, the other one is pretty much a like for like replacement.

Plenty of change left over for a good send-off.

JJ12

So how on earth do you sell a 30yr old slow centre back on ridiculous wages for £40m? Because that’s your value.
It’s quite simple. The club needs a CB, Maguire either stays or they get what they deem fair value. What’s so hard to understand?

If they can replace him with one of these many great players under £30m like you suggest then great. Still yet to hear one mind.

Eplel

If they can replace him with one of these many great players under £30m like you suggest then great. Still yet to hear one mind.
We need £30 million to replace our 5th choice CB? Why not play a youngster there?

kaku06

I’ll miss Scott. Secured top 4 multiple times with him as a starter. Kept Casemiro out the team for a while at the start of last season. Arguably last season was his best since 19/20. Good finisher.

Good luck to him.
Sure, nothing to do with Casemiro adjusting after being bought late in the window and integrated slowly into a new team in a different league.

JJ12

We need £30 million to replace our 5th choice CB? Why not play a youngster there?
He’s not 5th choice for a start, Shaw is far too valuable at LB unless Malacia takes a jump.

There are no youngsters at the club ready to play meaningful minutes.

Smores

Don’t be so ridiculous.

People whinge when we can’t get decent transfer fees then are happy to just throw away players with actual value.
There's a difference between rejecting because you believe we can get more (from somewhere else) and actually being willing to keep them if said value is not reached though.

If we're not using them their wages and further depreciation is basically a cost to us. Don't think we're in a rush so we can try ramp up the price but I wouldn't keep them at 50 combined.

JJ12

There's a difference between rejecting because you believe we can get more (from somewhere else) and actually being willing to keep them if said value is not reached though.

If we're not using them their wages and further depreciation is basically a cost to us. Don't think we're in a rush so we can try ramp up the price but I wouldn't keep them at 50 combined.
The thing is both will need to be replaced as squad options - who are we buying for 50m combined that’s better than both? If we can manage that then great.

Eplel

He’s not 5th choice for a start, Shaw is far too valuable at LB unless Malacia takes a jump.
Yes he is, because EtH would rather start Malacia at LB and Shaw at CB rather than start Maguire as we saw against City.

And given Maguire's last performances, especially against Sevilla, i think players like Mengi would do much better than him.

CloneMC16

So the guy who is more or less single-handedly shooting Scotland to the Euros is shite....I take it you don't work as a scout ?
That's good for Scotland. I've watched him close to 200 times for United. He's shite. You really think he's worth £50m?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Yes he is, because EtH would rather start Malacia at LB and Shaw at CB rather than start Maguire as we saw against City.

And given Maguire's last performances, especially against Sevilla, i think players like Mengi would do much better than him.
Interesting. Why doesn’t Mengi start for England? And why was on loan in the championship last year? Surely every club in Europe would be after a CB better than an England starter on loan? Absolute bargain to be had.

JJ12

I don’t rate Maguire like the rest of us but you instantly lose all credibility by suggesting Mengi is currently a better option than Maguire.

There’s a difference between realising he’s not good enough to start for United week in week out to he’s absolute shit and any of our youth players are better.

Eplel

I don’t rate Maguire like the rest of us but you instantly lose all credibility by suggesting Mengi is currently a better option than Maguire.

There’s a difference between realising he’s not good enough to start for United week in week out to he’s absolute shit and any of our youth players are better.
So what the feck does he need to do for you to realise he's a huge liability? He single-handedly cost us the game against Seville in 5 minutes.

JJ12

So what the feck does he need to do for you to realise he's a huge liability? He single-handedly cost us the game against Seville in 5 minutes.
And this is exactly the point.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Anything less than 40m for McT is criminal. Pay up or get lost you bubble blowing cnuts.

kaku06

It’s quite simple. The club needs a CB, Maguire either stays or they get what they deem fair value. What’s so hard to understand?

Let me ask again. Your fair valuation is 40m. Why would a club spend £40m on a 30yr old CB who’s on ridiculous wages? There’s a reason no one has come in for him at that price. You know why? Because that valuation of yours is bonkers.

Secondly, Maguire is 4th choice at best right now for us. Surely you agree on this. Lindelof is ahead of Maguire. We don’t need to spend that much on a CB who’s not gonna be a starter for us. We have been linked to Axel disasi. I would be okay with him as a 4th choice or even a 3rd choice if he performs for us.

Eplel

And this is exactly the point.
What point is it exactly? The benchmark for any youngster to break into our defence would be to not feck up as much as Maguire. I think the threshold is low, Maguire has been a huge failure.

Barthez

Have to agree with others. Until there is a viable alternative to Maguire lined up I’ld keep him. 30m gets you peanuts these days.

JJ12

Let me ask again. Your fair valuation is 40m. Why would a club spend £40m on a 30yr old CB who’s on ridiculous wages? There’s a reason no one has come in for him at that price. You know why? Because that valuation of yours is bonkers.

Secondly, Maguire is 4th choice at best right now for us. Surely you agree on this. Lindelof is ahead of Maguire. We don’t need to spend that much on a CB who’s not gonna be a starter for us. We have been linked to Axel disasi. I would be okay with him as a 4th choice for us or even a 3rd choice if he performs for us.
The club aren’t desperate to sell him. Don’t pay it then we’ll keep him. Which is the most likely outcome in any case. Doesn’t mean you just bend over and flog him.

No idea why people all of a sudden love Lindelof, him and Maguire are much of a muchness. Both have holes in their game, thank god they never have to play together again.

JJ12

What point is it exactly? The benchmark for any youngster to break into our defence would be to not feck up as much as Maguire. I think the threshold is low, Maguire has been a huge failure.
You just blamed him for the Sevilla tie ‘single-handedly’. Which is an absolute joke. The debacle started at OT when Malacia gave away a stupid penalty, then De Gea made mistakes and on top of that we couldn’t even score a single goal in Sevilla.

Ai, single-handedly.

He does make mistakes but he gets blamed for everything, thank you for proving my point.

Xaviboy

Surely the fee offered for Gallagher that was rejected by Chelsea is more then enough for us to accept for McTominey? Doing well if we got that for him.

Smores

The thing is both will need to be replaced as squad options - who are we buying for 50m combined that’s better than both? If we can manage that then great.
Well it's not like for like and we need new bodies anyway because the manager wants players suited to his own tactics. It's just a case of maximizing funds for the replacements.

Dread Devil

If the reports of £50m / €60m for both are true, I think it has to be considered…neither will play much this year. They are not the type of footballers that Erik wants in the team and their value will only decrease with less playing time.

Amrabat looks likely for €30m which leaves us €30m to look for a back up centre back which Maguire is. He doesn’t have to be as good as Maguire right now but has to show the potential of being much better in the future.

I wish both players the best, both could work really well in the right systems as seen by the international careers but they don’t suit the style of play our manager wants to play with.

AneRu

If the reports of £50m / €60m for both are true, I think it has to be considered…neither will play much this year. They are not the type of footballers that Erik wants in the team and their value will only decrease with less playing time.

Amrabat looks likely for €30m which leaves us €30m to look for a back up centre back which Maguire is. He doesn’t have to be as good as Maguire right now but has to show the potential of being much better in the future.

I wish both players the best, both could work really well in the right systems as seen by the international careers but they don’t suit the style of play our manager wants to play with.
We also got £15m for Elanga, we should get around £10m for Fred and maybe £20m for Henderson. That's £40 - £45m in addition to the £20m or so that will be left after the Amrabat signing which should be enough to get a really talented young CB who can also play RB. With Lindelof and Shaw as first back ups we would have a nice composition of our back line.

led_scholes

People have to understand that there is a massive gap between not being good enough as a starter for a top 4 team to being shite. McT (like Fred) is a good PL player for almost all the teams bar 6.

Another issue is that McT (like Fred again) is not a DM. I think alot have a more negative picture for both of them because we have seen them failing too many times in a position that doesn't really suit them.

I think something around 35 millions is a fair price for McT, given his age and his not so high wages.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

If Enzo and Rice are being purchased for over £100m then the market is fecked and we should be chasing up £50m for McTominay. Hilariously he has better stats than both.

AneRu

Okay. Now you have a whopping 50m to replace Maguire and Mctominay. I’m sure any old CB and CM from the Championship will do though.
We don't need to replace either with similar profiles in terms of establishment and cost range. A young CB in his early 20s with a big upside to work on will he fine, Amrabat will be better suited for the deeper role we have used Scot in and with good scouting and subsequent work on the training ground our squad will improve.

Dread Devil

We also got £15m for Elanga, we should get around £10m for Fred and maybe £20m for Henderson. That's £40 - £45m in addition to the £20m or so that will be left after the Amrabat signing which should be enough to get a really talented young CB who can also play RB. With Lindelof and Shaw as first back ups we would have a nice composition of our back line.
That would get us a very promising RB / RCB….ideally somebody like Pavard…who is very good at both…are there many others out there?

finneh

Surely by that logic we'll need to spend £40m to replace him in two years anyway?

Therefore the options are to sell him now for say £25m and replace him with a younger, potentally better player (on half the wages) for £40m; or we release him in two years and still need to invest the same £40m; having also paid £20m in wages.

In this scenario the cost of keeping Maguire over the next two years and then replacing him will be £60m (£40m for a replacement and £20m for his wages). The cost of replacing him now over the next 2 years would be £25m (his transfer fee + £15m for a replacement; plus £10m in wages).

It's far, far more expensive over the next two years to keep Maguire than to sell him now, even if the player we replace him with is more expensive.

JJ12

Surely by that logic we'll need to spend £40m to replace him in two years anyway?

Therefore the options are to sell him now for say £25m and replace him with a younger, potentally better player (on half the wages) for £40m; or we release him in two years and still need to invest the same £40m; having also paid £20m in wages.

In this scenario the cost of keeping Maguire over the next two years and then replacing him will be £60m (£40m for a replacement and £20m for his wages). The cost of replacing him over the next 2 years would be £25m (his transfer fee + £15m; plus £10m in wages).

It's far, far more expensive over the next two years to keep Maguire than to sell him now, even if the player we replace him with is more expensive.
Except that’s not the logic. We won’t (or at least shouldn’t) have FFP to contend with in 2 years, as we clearly do this summer.

His contract is an issue, one last feck up from the old regime.

Revan

Assumptionman
Except that’s not the logic. We won’t (or at least shouldn’t) have FFP to contend with in 2 years, as we clearly do this summer.

His contract is an issue, one last feck up from the old regime.
Why we won’t have FFP to content in 2 years? Varane and Casemiro would probably be past expiry days, Shaw and Bruno would be reaching 30, not clear at all if Sancho/Antony would be replacing and we still need a striker and a RB.

Maguire is just too expensive for what he offers. Selling him now for 30m and saving 20m in wages means compared to releasing him in 2 years means that he is costing 25m/year. For a 5th choice CB that is financially insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.