Sean Goss

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not really. He's got pretty tall but he's slender, with no real physical presence or aerial ability.

To my eye he's one of those players who can really only play in his best position and nowhere else. And oddly, that position is the one we've just bought two new players for on top of Carrick and Blind. Possibly LVG saw his goal against Leicester and thinks he can play as more of an AM, but I don't much fancy him there compared to the deeper, controlling role.
Why "oddly"? If Goss does end up first-team material (and that's a very big if) then Carrick and Schweinsteiger will have probably both hung up their boots by the time he's established.

Brightonian

Morgan/Carrick/Goss Bastian/Herrera/Goss
Mata/Januzaj/Lingard Herrera/Fellani/Lingard Young/Depay/Lingard
Rooney/Wilson/Fellani

Goss would still get minutes that way with Blind at LB.Pre-season I mean.
Possibly, but it's going to be pretty tight. That said, he's still pretty young so he's at the stage where just the experience of going will be good for him.

Brightonian

Why "oddly"? If Goss does end up first-team material (and that's a very big if) then Carrick and Schweinsteiger will have probably both hung up their boots by the time he's established.
Of course, but I just meant that I don't see him getting any significant game time on tour, given that we're taking four senior players who like that position. Then again, as above, he's young and green enough to simply benefit from the experience of travelling with the first team.

The Pearson-loving optimist in me is suggesting that maybe that's why Goss went ahead of players who are a little further up the experience ladder than him (Pearson, Rothwell, Harrop), because arguably those guys wouldn't have been worth taking if they weren't going to actually play some proper minutes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Of course, but I just meant that I don't see him getting any significant game time on tour, given that we're taking four senior players who like that position. Then again, as above, he's young and green enough to simply benefit from the experience of travelling with the first team.

The Pearson-loving optimist in me is suggesting that maybe that's why Goss went ahead of players who are a little further up the experience ladder than him (Pearson, Rothwell, Harrop), because arguably those guys wouldn't have been worth taking if they weren't going to actually play some proper minutes.
Ok, gotcha. I think you're right about him being brought along mainly for the experience though. Plus, as @jb_8521 already suggested the other lads are probably being prepared for loan moves, so could do without missing any of the intensive pre-season training.

Brightonian

Ok, gotcha. I think you're right about him being brought along mainly for the experience though. Plus, as @jb_8521 already suggested the other lads are probably being prepared for loan moves, so could do without missing any of the intensive pre-season training.
Yep sound point. I hope so, anyway.

Sid234

From the club's website:
All you need to know about Sean Goss

Sean Goss was perhaps a surprise inclusion in the 26-man squad for Manchester United's Tour 2015, presented by Aon.

The 19-year-old midfielder is the only outfield member of the party, with the exception of the four new signings, who has yet to make a senior appearance for the Reds. We answer some of the questions being posed by supporters after he flew out with the rest of the group to Seattle.

Has Goss' elevation to the senior squad come out of the blue?
He trained with the first team last season and also in the days leading up to the tour squad announcement. Luke Shaw told us in May the midfielder had been one of the youngsters stepping up who had impressed him the most.

How did he perform at Under-21 level last season?
Very well. Playing with senior stars alongside him, he grew in confidence and scored his first goal in the 1-1 draw at Leicester City, feeding off Robin van Persie's lay-off. Warren Joyce's side won the nationwide title and he was a key member of the squad, making 10 appearances.

What sort of player is he?
Tidy in possession and an astute passer, his style has drawn comparisons with Michael Carrick. Capable of adding more goals, as his record at younger age levels proved, he has developed the defensive side of his game considerably under Joyce's tutelage.

Did he come up through the ranks?
Goss joined United from Exeter City in 2012 after appearing as a guest for Paul McGuinness' young Reds side in the AEGON Future Cup in Amsterdam.

What do people say about him?
Reserves coach Joyce was pleased to see him make the travelling party for the United States. "Gossy did really well last year," he told MUTV. "He's a dependable lad and has got it all sorted when the ball comes to him with his pass selection. His technique is good and he's worked really hard. He had an opportunity to train with the manager and he must have done something to catch the eye. He needs to continue doing that on tour and we'll see how well he can impress the manager and the rest of the staff."

Is there anything else we should know?
In 2005, as a nine-year-old, he was a mascot for United's goalless draw with Exeter City in the FA Cup third round at Old Trafford. Wayne Rooney sat out the tie but scored in the replay.
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...-sean-goss-of-manchester-united.aspx?pageNo=1

Looks like Joyce is quite surprised at his inclusion! :lol:

Raw

Is he English or German? I see he was born in Germany but he also has English nationality according to Transfermarkt. Is it just one of those things where he can choose which one to play for in the future?

NoPace

I don't think it's rocket science. Goss has very good vision and technique and Van Gaal probably thinks there's a chance he'll develop physically and so he sees him as a good prospect. A tall, slender, non-combative, ball-playing DM isn't the kind of player you expect to dominate other youths, necessarily.

FromTheBench

Though i am surprised at his inclusion i like some of his attributes tbh. Pretty good passing range and composure in the middle and has a good shot too.

My doubt with him is that he isn't most athletically gifted, and too one footed as well which leads to him taking bit long on the ball in some occasions.

Drainy

Is he English or German? I see he was born in Germany but he also has English nationality according to Transfermarkt. Is it just one of those things where he can choose which one to play for in the future?
I think his parents are English and his dad was in the RAF and stationed out in Germany

ravelston

"He's a dependable lad and has got it all sorted when the ball comes to him with his pass selection. His technique is good and he's worked really hard."

This has got to pretty much define the prerequisites for success at the highest level. Dependable and hardworking (takes coaching well and you can trust him to do a job) plus good technique and awareness ("seems to have more time on the ball").

I don't think it's rocket science. Goss has very good vision and technique and Van Gaal probably thinks there's a chance he'll develop physically and so he sees him as a good prospect. A tall, slender, non-combative, ball-playing DM isn't the kind of player you expect to dominate other youths, necessarily.
Exactly.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Happy for him, any regular watcher of the u18s will know he's a very interesting player. It's impressive that he's managed to progress to the point of being worthy a spot on the tour despite not featuring much for large parts of last season. And I don't see this as being too dramatic for the likes of Rothwell and Pearson; it makes sense to keep 'em at Carrington if the plan is to send them on loan from the get-go.

Sid234

Wish someone asked LvG about Goss in the presser, but then wasn't long before LvG went nuclear either.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I really hope he can be the replacement to Carrick in some years, he definitely has similar style of play.

Anyone know how tall he is?

Hoof the ball

So, Goss hasn't featured in any of the games yet, which is fine; I imagine the experience for him is good and that it's a way for LvG and his boys to take a closer look at him as he trains with the first team squad, not to mention the benefit he'll have from training with Carrick for a few weeks or so.

Sid234

Can see Bastian sat out the next match with LVG's comment of him needs more training time.
It's possible, though I think we might see Bastian play 30 mins vs PSG instead.. Could have Goss come on for Carrick late into the game. I'm hoping to see Herrera, Schneiderlin and Carrick start in midfield but realistically I think we'll see Morgan and Carrick start.

The team that played the 1st 45 seems to LvG's 1st XI going by his comments in the press conferences

Brightonian

Yeah, pretty sure LVG will make sure he gets a little glimpse of game time but as by far the most junior member of the tour squad it will mostly have been about the experience for him.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
GOSS AIMS TO THRIVE AT UNITED AFTER TOUR EXPERIENCE

Sean Goss is likely to be a key figure for Manchester United's Under-21s as he aims to build on the experience he gained with the first-team squad on Tour 2015 presented by Aon.

After scoring goals in behind-closed-doors friendlies with Tranmere Rovers and Ajax, the young midfielder showed that he is really beginning to make his mark and he looks set to start in Wednesday's Lancashire Senior Cup tie against Rochdale.

In an exclusive interview with ManUtd.com, the 19-year-old explained how he hopes to continue his progress.

What was the biggest thing you learnt about life in the first team from going on tour?
It was just the whole experience of being away with the first team and seeing first-hand the quality of players that we’ve got, as well as working with the manager and the coaching staff. It was a great feeling to be involved.

How did you find training?
I really enjoyed it. It was a big step up and a big challenge and there were some tough, long days, but I really enjoyed it.

Ryan Giggs knows what it’s like to be a youngster on tour. Did he speak to you during the trip and give you pointers here and there?
We had a few chats and he just told me to keep doing what I was doing. He said I’d done well and that my attitude had been good. When you hear things like that from someone like him it gives you confidence and makes you want to work even harder.

You must have felt very much in the swing of things by the end of the tour?
Definitely. Towards the end of it I was a lot more relaxed in training, but I think it’s only normal to be a bit nervous in the first few days when you’re around the first-team players. But everyone helped me and I really enjoyed it.

It must have been helpful to have the likes of Jesse Lingard, James Wilson, Paddy McNair and Tyler Blackett there as well…
Yes it was great and they all really helped me. They’ve experienced life in the first team and taken their chance and I want to follow their example.

Was it true your parents flew out to Chicago for the PSG game when you made your tour debut?
My mum did. She actually went to every tour game. She told me afterwards that she booked the time off last year just in case I was in the squad – I had no idea she’d done that! My dad couldn’t get the time off work unfortunately so my mum travelled all round on her own and came to all the games. I kept in touch with her throughout and it was good to know she was there on my debut. She said she was in tears when I came on! [smiles].

Presumably you’ll take everything you learned on tour into the Under-21s now…
There is so much I learned to take into the Under-21s and then I’ll see if I can step up again. I know I need to keep training hard and hopefully I’ll get a chance.

Has the tour experience made you feel like anything is possible?
Yes, definitely. I've also seen some of the other younger lads like Paddy step up, make quite a few appearances for the first team and sign a new contract. That’s the kind of example I want to follow.

What did the manager say to you at the end of the tour?
He said he was happy with me and congratulated me on my debut and said I deserved it. It felt good to hear him say that.

Some people have compared your game to Michael Carrick’s – was that quite a surreal moment when you came on to replace him against PSG?
[Smiles] A lot of people have said that to me and it’s great to hear. I really look up to him as a player, he’s top class and to come on for him made my debut even more special. His passing is incredible, he rarely gives the ball away and he acts as an anchor man so he is a big part of the team. I spoke to him a few times on tour and I also picked up a lot from him in training and when he played for the Under-21s last season. That was a big help.

As you say, Michael is one of a number of first-team stars who have had a run-out with the Under-21s - how much has that benefited the younger players?
It’s been a massive help just to have that kind of experience in the team. They’ve all been really professional when they’ve played with us and treated it like a normal game and been as determined to win as they are in the first team.

Finally, what aims and hopes do you have for the rest of this season, both for the Under-21s and the first team?
We won the league with the Under-21s last season which was a proud moment so we’ll be looking to keep the trophy. In terms of the first team, I’m just focused on working hard, doing my best and being patient, and hopefully, if I get a chance, I can take it.

Devil may care

Seems to have a level head and good attitude, hopefully he pushes on in the U21's this season.

wiz4231

Where's he at?
Didn't play the U21 game, I don't think he's gone out on loan either, just a lil curious. I really like him as a player, he reminds me of Julian Weigl for BVB.

Sid234

Apparently been called up to the first team squad for the Watford game along with Rashford

Sid234

Makes the bench, wearing #45. Unlikely to get a chance off the bench considering Periera's there.

NoPace

Love his technical ability, passing range and vision. Looks like he's moving a bit quicker than last year, too.

Maybe a loan next year then he replaces Carrick in the squad as a DM behind Schneiderlin, along with Blind.

khoazany

Love his technical ability, passing range and vision. Looks like he's moving a bit quicker than last year, too.

Maybe a loan next year then he replaces Carrick in the squad as a DM behind Schneiderlin, along with Blind.
Wouldn't be against a loan on January, along with Harrop.I think they are ready for senior football at some clubs.

Brightonian

Definitely. Noticeable bursts of acceleration recently that he didn't used to have.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Manchester United youngster Sean Goss looks set to make his return from injury this Friday when Warren Joyce’s side travel to London to face Tottenham Hotspur in Premier League 2.

The former Jimmy Murphy Player of the Year nominee has only featured once for the Reds - a pre-season friendly against Port Vale - since seriously injuring his back in December of last year.

It’s been a long road back for the promising midfielder, whose form at the start of the 2015/16 season was rewarded with a place on the bench for the first team's clash with Watford last November. Thankfully, Sean is now raring to go and is determined to channel the frustrations of the past year into making an impact on the pitch.

"When last season started I was as happy as I could be with where my football was at. I’d been involved in the first team and progressing well, but you never know what’s round the corner and it’s been a tough year," Goss told MUTV, who will be showing the Spurs game live on Friday (KO 12:00 BST).

"I had a lengthy rehab period where I had to rest, before gradually introducing running and gym work," he continued. "It was a slow build-up to getting back to training and, annoyingly, I had a niggling problem that set me back even further and was very frustrating. You’ve just got to look to the future and concentrate on emerging as a stronger person."

Although credit for his recovery lies largely with Goss’ professionalism and dedication, the 21-year-old was keen to stress that he had a strong support network from both friends, family and staff at the Aon Training Complex.

"My friends and family have been great as they've really kept my spirits up - you definitely question whether you’d be able to get through it without them," Sean recalled. "In a similar way, the physios and staff have also been brilliant, everyone from Tom [Hughes], Jonny [Picot], Russ [Hayes], the doc Steve [McNally] and even Luke [Shaw], who was here with me when everyone was on holiday during pre-season, were all so good to me.

"Now I’m fully focused on returning for the Under-23s. We’ve have had a tough time so far in terms of numbers, but the lads are working really hard each day and we’re still desperate to win the league. At a club like this you’re lucky enough have more good times than bad and hopefully there will be more good times ahead."