Sean Longstaff

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The season has barely begun and he's made two starts against Arsenal and Spurs who are both significantly stronger than Newcastle and he's done fine considering the injury he's coming back from.

But it's not surprising to see the same posters finding it difficult to use logic and reason and jump to conclusions regarding a player who is coming back from a serious injury.

Irwin99

Didn't see the game and have no opinion on him as a player or whether he is good enough etc etc. but 54% passing accuracy is dire :eek: How many passes did he actually make? And i thought McTominay was struggling with his passing game a bit so far.

In Rainbows

What I was told earlier tbh. He's still not match fit and the sharpness is missing which is understandable after a bad injury.
Yeah, but that's kind of what the argument against him was for. He wasn't worth the price paid because he was a young player with hardly any PL experience, and coming back from a knee injury. It's not like people wouldn't take him for a very low price.

snowkarl

Didn't see the game and have no opinion on him as a player or whether he is good enough etc etc. but 54% passing accuracy is dire :eek: How many passes did he actually make? And i thought McTominay was struggling with his passing game a bit so far.
What do you think Newcastle's overall passing success rate was? They parked the bus 100% and they just hoofed it to Joelinton every time. 21% possession ffs - lowest % for a winning team in the pl ever.

macheda14

54% passing accuracy for a team that had literally no runners and was camped in their final third for the whole match barring the goal and a few other choice moments. Even at our worst apart from PSG and Spurs for a while last season would we ever be under the cosh like that. He was, perhaps to a fault, trying to get Newcastle out of pressure by playing forward thinking passes quite a bit in this game. From the looks of it, having him, Scott and Pogba in a proper midfield three rather than trying to shoe horn a number ten into the side would make us look much better

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah, but that's kind of what the argument against him was for. He wasn't worth the price paid because he was a young player with hardly any PL experience, and coming back from a knee injury. It's not like people wouldn't take him for a very low price.
Tbh the argument against him mostly was because he was called Longstaff and the 9 games he had featured in the top flight IMO. People also spent days arguing with themselves over the reported £50m fee Newcastle were demanding and were reminded by myself and a few others that we wouldn't pay that much, but they still carried on regardless which was hilarious.

Sterling Archer

What the feck, mate? If the Newcastle team were going to dominate possession maybe you'd see higher stats. Forget watching the match before making such a pointless judgement, did you even look at the match stats as a whole? Spurs has 80% possession. You think any player in the world is going to come in and have 80/90 percent passing in that Newcastle side? I'd ask how someone could watch any amount of football and have that perspective but you're making these statements without even watching the match. Typifies what's wrong with the forum and internet as a whole. Reactionary wums that think their baseless opinions are worth a post. I'm sorry in advance if that's rude and hurtful but i hope it knocks some sense into you to do some self quality control before posting garbage.

Irwin99

Like I openly said didn’t see the match, have no opinion of him as a player, have no opinion on his potential, have never commented on him as a player, and was just checking out a thread of a player we’ve been linked with. Chill the feck out, I didn’t say oh my god he’s crap, I was just shocked at a player stat, that actually is pretty bad and asked how many passes he made in total.

Was surprised to see Spurs had 80% possession, so yes that context was absent but If a player (who Has been compared to Carrick) is in possession of the ball say twenty times in a match and misplaces almost half his passes, well that does SEEM pretty awful unless he was just hoofing it upfield to relieve pressure from the defence.

Sterling Archer

Like I openly said didn’t see the match, have no opinion of him as a player, have no opinion on his potential, have never commented on him as a player, and was just checking out a thread of a player we’ve been linked with. Chill the feck out, I didn’t say oh my god he’s crap, I was just shocked at a player stat, that actually is pretty bad and asked how many passes he made in total.

Was surprised to see Spurs had 80% possession, so yes that context was absent but If a player (who Has been compared to Carrick) is in possession of the ball say twenty times in a match and misplaces almost half his passes, well that does SEEM pretty awful unless he was just hoofing it upfield to relieve pressure from the defence.
That's exactly why I get frustrated. For not having watched the match or considered the game as a whole, how can you evaluate his passing stat at all when the team as a whole has 20% possession? It's irresponsible to do so. What you've done is just added fuel to this idea that the kids not good enough but it's unsubstantiated to an extent that is crazy and frankly, even though unintended, no better than a win or troll.

To be clear, it's not just you. Its a much too common thing I see here - "didn't see the match. Never seen the player. But hey, he sucks! He's great, next Ronalmessi!" Deserves to be pointed out, would be a much more meaningful discourse if it was cut out.

Irwin99

That's exactly why I get frustrated. For not having watched the match or considered the game as a whole, how can you evaluate his passing stat at all when the team as a whole has 20% possession? It's irresponsible to do so. What you've done is just added fuel to this idea that the kids not good enough but it's unsubstantiated to an extent that is crazy and frankly, even though unintended, no better than a win or troll.

To be clear, it's not just you. Its a much too common thing I see here - "didn't see the match. Never seen the player. But hey, he sucks! He's great, next Ronalmessi!" Deserves to be pointed out, would be a much more meaningful discourse if it was cut out.
Made no value judgement on the player at all other than expressing shock at a dismal pass completion and actually asking for more context which was provided. I like a lot of Scott McTominay’s attributes as a midfielder but I think his passing could improve a lot. Doesn’t mean I think he’s crap if I say that.

Put it this way. If you didn’t see United beat Liverpool 3-2 in 1999/00 and a mate said yeah carra scores 2 own goals, you’d laugh in surprise at such incidents deciding the game (or maybe not in his case), if someone told you Berbatov scored 5 goals in one match in 10/11 and you hadn’t seen the game you’d probably register surprise, if a highly rated youngster registers a very low pass completion (and 54% is shockingly low) then I think it’s natural to think wow, that’s not good! As I then asked, how many touches did he have?

Also, is it fair to ask if he might have contributed to that poor possession stat of Newcastle’s if he lost the ball almost half the time he was in possession? If I’m not mistaken didn’t he have the lowest accuracy of all his teammates? Again, it’s just a question not an attack on him.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It was actually 60% but it was 16 passes. Newcastle didn't see much of the ball and didn't really have many good avenues for passing with the way the played. No free passes to pad that stat.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
What the feck, mate? If the Newcastle team were going to dominate possession maybe you'd see higher stats. Forget watching the match before making such a pointless judgement, did you even look at the match stats as a whole? Spurs has 80% possession. You think any player in the world is going to come in and have 80/90 percent passing in that Newcastle side? I'd ask how someone could watch any amount of football and have that perspective but you're making these statements without even watching the match. Typifies what's wrong with the forum and internet as a whole. Reactionary wums that think their baseless opinions are worth a post. I'm sorry in advance if that's rude and hurtful but i hope it knocks some sense into you to do some self quality control before posting garbage.
I think you have lost all right in talking about "what's wrong with the internet" when you follow it up by accusing the guy of being a wum. The guy stated a fact. I don't care how much possession a team has, 54% passing accuracy is horrible. In fact, other than the keeper, it was the lowest on the team.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...r-League-2019-2020-Tottenham-Newcastle-United

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It was actually 60% but it was 16 passes. Newcastle didn't see much of the ball and didn't really have many good avenues for passing with the way the played. No free passes to pad that stat.
Whoscored have it 53% at 7/13 passes. The worst success and the least amount completed. Joelinton didn't seem to have an issue stat padding three times as many passes at 40% better success from the striker position.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Whoscored have it 53% at 7/13 passes. The worst success and the least amount completed. Joelinton didn't seem to have an issue stat padding three times as many passes at 40% better success from the striker position.
His midfield partner also had better pass completion but just 12 passes, as many as Longstaff.

Atsu and Joelinton both attempted more passes and had higher pass completion percentage. When attackers attempts more passes and have better % then blaming the possession stat or how game went is pointless. Midfielders should do more.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
His midfield partner also had better pass completion but just 12 passes, as many as Longstaff.

Atsu and Joelinton both attempted more passes and had higher pass completion percentage. When attackers attempts more passes and have better % then blaming the possession stat or how game went is pointless. Midfielders should do more.
It's also the nature of those lost balls, something stats cannot tell. He was weird passes, getting rid of the ball without even aiming for an advanced player.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's also the nature of those lost balls, something stats cannot tell. He was weird passes, getting rid of the ball without even aiming for an advanced player.
I didn't watch complete game (started watching from 75th min), so going by your posts he really had a bad game.

haram

Not saying he will be good enough but how are people being this conclusive after probably watching him play twice.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I saw the whole game and his defensive work rate is impressive. Reminds me of a young Carrick in the way that he protect his area with intelligent positioning and effective runs where he quickly press the ball holder to pass sideways or backwards.

Also almost scored one goal with a thunder shot inside the penalty area. Hit the ball really well in quick motion.

His passing wasn’t the best but it wasn’t easy for any Newcastle players to find teammates when Spurs pressed so intense. I can’t say he was much worse then the others based on the circumstances.

This was his second game of the season after his injury. Not fully match fit but still played 90 minutes without looking out of place. In the last 15 minutes he didn’t panic or made any raw tackles, always on his feet and never left his teammates without protection. Impressive.

Give him another five or six games then it’s time to evaluate him properly. He’s a talent who fully fit would easily walk into our midfield as a dm. I’m almost certain about that. Similar size and work rate as McTominay, better defensive awareness, better to position himself in front of his defense. More cultivated in his actions.

Time will tell. I like him.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Whoscored is wrong, my source is better (InStat). It includes video of every pass he made and with that update his passing has been corrected from 16 to 15 attempts with 9 completed which are 2 more than Lascelles.

Joeliton made 24 passes which is 9 more or roughly 50% more passes, not 100%. He also had a great game considering what he had to deal with.

Robbie Boy

He’s crap. Some need to get over it. I get dedicating hundreds of posts pretending to be an expert on a player you’ve seen about 5 times at best is time consuming and if he happened to turn out to be great, you could look like a real pro scout. Pick up camp elsewhere with false analysis, this guy is a nothing player.

Robbie Boy

Not saying he will be good enough but how are people being this conclusive after probably watching him play twice.
:lol:

So like the posters who posted a shit tonne of posts telling us all he’s the next Carrick based on a sample of about 7 matches.

Stacks

Perhaps Newcastle players' like Longstaff passing were contributes to Spurs having so much possession?

Sterling Archer

Made no value judgement on the player at all other than expressing shock at a dismal pass completion and actually asking for more context which was provided. I like a lot of Scott McTominay’s attributes as a midfielder but I think his passing could improve a lot. Doesn’t mean I think he’s crap if I say that.

Put it this way. If you didn’t see United beat Liverpool 3-2 in 1999/00 and a mate said yeah carra scores 2 own goals, you’d laugh in surprise at such incidents deciding the game (or maybe not in his case), if someone told you Berbatov scored 5 goals in one match in 10/11 and you hadn’t seen the game you’d probably register surprise, if a highly rated youngster registers a very low pass completion (and 54% is shockingly low) then I think it’s natural to think wow, that’s not good! As I then asked, how many touches did he have?

Also, is it fair to ask if he might have contributed to that poor possession stat of Newcastle’s if he lost the ball almost half the time he was in possession? If I’m not mistaken didn’t he have the lowest accuracy of all his teammates? Again, it’s just a question not an attack on him.
That's very fair and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Like I noted, I'm reacting to when others have said similar things but without the genuine inquisitiveness behind it. I really appreciate the full on explanation.

In the case of Longstaff versus Newcastle, I thought he did well all considered. Decent strike and couple of dribbles. Executed their deep shape well. Not 50 million worth but that's just inflation .

Chairman Steve

In light of several events happening like McTominay's MOTM vs Leeds and Moises Caicedo looking more and more likely to sign for Utd, I was interested to see how this central midfielder who Newcastle demanded £50m for (after we bid £30m) was doing.

He isn't doing quite well going by Twitter search and the geordies despair when he plays and regret not taking that £30m offer we made. A lot of them seem to think playing under Bruce has made him stagnate after the Benitez tenure.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Longstaff is absolutely shite and even as a non Utd fan I would hate for you to sign him.

His brother is shite also.

Utd are bigger than delving in the swamps.

MileStolar

He would've probably turned out like Jack Rodwell has for city. Glad we've not done it then, would've been a stain on Ole's reign and he doesn't need those right now he needs to be on the spot with next couple of transfers if we are to become a feared team again.

izec

He was always average. Just because he can play a couple of long passes, doesn't make him a great player.

Newcastle believed in the hype, thankfully. Would have been a massive flop

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In light of several events happening like McTominay's MOTM vs Leeds and Moises Caicedo looking more and more likely to sign for Utd, I was interested to see how this central midfielder who Newcastle demanded £50m for (after we bid £30m) was doing.

He isn't doing quite well going by Twitter search and the geordies despair when he plays and regret not taking that £30m offer we made. A lot of them seem to think playing under Bruce has made him stagnate after the Benitez tenure.
Did we bid 30m for him? I thought we only willing to offer 20m for him.

Jibbs

I still think he is a good player and would have added squad depth with us. I think he will flourish under a good manager.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Looks like a solid mid table PL player, definitely not one for teams who want to win the league.