Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'd rather give this lad a shot than another primadonna just happy to collect his huge pay packet.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd rather give this lad a shot than another primadonna just happy to collect his huge pay packet.
I generally agree with this sentiment, but we'd probably give him 150k a week contract :wenger:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You would think that but you'd have also thought we wouldn't still be starting Smalling, Jones, Young, Lingard etc. We don't act like other well run clubs these days and the proof is everywhere to be seen over the last 6 years.
The club don’t just moronically think they are the best players. We have made ‘Manchester United signings’ in buying promising young players, who were coveted by the sort of clubs you would think would also covet Manchester United signings - and those players haven’t stepped up. Those who were planned to be back up have been better, so they have played.

If you take a back 4 of Valencia-Smalling-Jones-Young and then consider that we bought Darmian-Bailly-Lindelöf-Shaw to replace them, only Shaw, and to a lesser extent, Lindelof have actually claimed a place. The Darmian who was also pursued by Bayern and Juve (still is), hasn’t done the job, and the Bailly (I get more excited by these type of unknown signings than I do about signing Di Maria) who was wanted by City and Barcelona has also failed and is likely for sale. Who do you expect we start if they aren’t up to it?

Motorman

Looks good on the YT video. Does remind me of Carrick in his movement and style albeit a bit quicker paced.

Let's just go for it :drool:

NJM78

The club don’t just moronically think they are the best players. We have made ‘Manchester United signings’ in buying promising young players, who were coveted by the sort of clubs you would think would also covet Manchester United signings - and those players haven’t stepped up. Those who were planned to be back up have been better, so they have played.

If you take a back 4 of Valencia-Smalling-Jones-Young and then consider that we bought Darmian-Bailly-Lindelöf-Shaw to replace them, only Shaw, and to a lesser extent, Lindelof have actually claimed a place. The Darmian who was also pursued by Bayern and Juve (still is), hasn’t done the job, and the Bailly (I get more excited by these type of unknown signings than I do about signing Di Maria) who was wanted by City and Barcelona has also failed and is likely for sale. Who do you expect we start if they aren’t up to it?
We buy better. It’s pretty simple for me. I don’t need a long answer explaining what has gone on at the club because I know what has gone on. The squad is overloaded with average players and my opinion will not change on that. We need to buy the correct players which we have struggled to do for years in large numbers.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We buy better. It’s pretty simple for me. I don’t need a long answer explaining what has gone on at the club because I know what has gone on. The squad is overloaded with average players and my opinion will not change on that. We need to buy the correct players which we have struggled to do for years in large numbers.
Easy to say in hindsight. ‘Buy better’ even stretches as far as Paul Pogba for many. The fact that not one player signed post-Fergie has come here and improved should give a clearer indication of the real problem.

We’re not buying rubbish footballers, not by a long stretch.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Didn't he get a bad injury, doubt he'll be fit for start of next season so would say next January would be more likely.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
First, I think lot of Newcastle fans aren’t happy with the owner and the board as they don’t really care much about the success but money. Put £20m at max, their board will be tempted to take the money.

Second, The guy hardly even play that much this season, not being overhyped by media, already 21 & they know we aren’t desperate to sign the player so they won’t be silly enough to try to rip our wallet.

I never watch him, but based on that 4 minutes YouTube video he looks similar to Carrick but he looks like more a no 8 than holding mid. But the stats of his passing accuracy is horrendous. 80% only. But pre his injury, he had like rating of 7 in almost all games which is impressive.

I think it’s worth of punt and I’m excited with this signing because I’m sick with crazy money that we spent on deadwood. If we are going to spend big then spend on the right players. If we want to take a punt don’t spend £50m on Fred. Both won’t be in the category of the 4 signings that the news has mentioned as those are supposed to be first XI players. James & Longstaff are backup.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Our post-Ferguson policy has been to buy players aged 26 or over, often from clubs outside of England and always for huge transfer fees

There's an article in the economist which shows that of all of the current top 6 United are the ones signing the oldest players and the most frequent at signing players from outside of English clubs. We've spent more money than anyone bar City.

We have to try something different. If it means a few signings like this and James and also bringing through our own youngsters so that in 3 year's time we have a blend of technically excellent but hard-working players who actually care about success at United - then so be it.

If it means we also lose a few of the cry baby fans who want 100 million spent on players like Felix etc and demand instant success - even better.
Spot on.

SerenityValley

McClair, Djemba Djemba, Powell, Tosic, Gibson, Felani to name but a few .... just what era would they have not made the bench when these players were starting
Take Choccy off your list sonny. Man does not deserve to be on a list with those lot. 24 league goals in his first season, and at least 2 or 3 other seasons where he averaged a goal every 2 to 3 games.

He was a great servant to United, with plenty of goals, assists and overall contribution.

Zed 101

Take Choccy off your list sonny. Man does not deserve to be on a list with those lot. 24 league goals in his first season, and at least 2 or 3 other seasons where he averaged a goal every 2 to 3 games.

He was a great servant to United, with plenty of goals, assists and overall contribution.
I am not on about him as a striker, towards the end of his career he played exclusively in midfield and bang average was the best that could be said about him there, for me it took the gloss off his career

SerenityValley

I am not on about him as a striker, towards the end of his career he played exclusively in midfield and bang average was the best that could be said about him there, for me it took the gloss off his career
And we expect players to be loyal to the club. He was at the club for 10 or 11 years, from his prime, to the embers of his career.

He certainly doesn’t deserve to be in a list of players like Tosic, DD or Powell. He was a great player for United and should be remembered for that, imo.

Fletchageddon

Absolutely spot on. It blows my mind when people complain about Young. He’s a left winger who came to this club, gives absolutely everything in every game we play and plays in any position he’s been asked to. Without fuss. The very definition of sacrificing himself for the team. All because the players we have signed haven’t stepped up.

Dalot will hopefully add some defensive nous to his game and relieve Young of RB duties. Shaw seems to play better under influence of the stick rather than the carrot. So hopefully Ole goes all Jose/LVG on him so Young can get back to being a winger again.

I don’t think people realise how much trouble we would be in if we didn’t have guys like Young, Smalling, Jones. Who have maintained a decent level throughout the past 6 years.

Zed 101

And we expect players to be loyal to the club. He was at the club for 10 or 11 years, from his prime, to the embers of his career.

He certainly doesn’t deserve to be in a list of players like Tosic, DD or Powell. He was a great player for United and should be remembered for that, imo.
The point was he was used as midfielder/midfield bench player, in response to an original point which said Sean Longstaff would be our worst midfielder/bench midfielder ever, if you think I wish to denegrate McClairs Utd career you are very much mistaken, however regardless of what went before the last few years were very poor, it is not being unloyal to realise that it is however being blind to ignore it.

For what it's worth McCLair should have retired about 3 years before he did, that does not make him a bad player, however I do think to keep playing him in midfield was one of SAFs more questionable decisions

Adnan

Talent Spotter

"Benitez would be reluctant to lose the midfielder but United’s interest is genuine and developments are expected over the next few days".

"United will also rival champions Manchester City for Leicester and England centre-half Harry Maguire, who could cost over £70million".

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I would be happy with this signing. Only saw him play for a brief period but he looked like a quality player in the making.

Infestissumam

Robson also linking us with him again. Luckhurst was the one who denied this, correct? Guess it's on then. The way he's badmouthing different United players at every chance, I wouldn't give that guy a breadcrumb of info if I were the club.

like Longstaff. As a depth signing for the future, why not?

kirk buttercup

I like the Fact we are linked with emerging talent every player is a gamble superstar or not (see Sanchez Di Maria Falcao etc) who knows could turn out to be exactly what we need

Beaucoup

Bet Woody’s loving these bargain basement players Ole’s after.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Robson also linking us with him again. Luckhurst was the one who denied this, correct? Guess it's on then. The way he's badmouthing different United players at every chance, I wouldn't give that guy a breadcrumb of info if I were the club.

like Longstaff. As a depth signing for the future, why not?
Luckhurst was playing down the Daniel James signing too..

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Luckhurst was playing down the Daniel James signing too..
Yeah, the completely unnecessary comment of not making an appearance on loan at Shrewsbury, made him come across as such a tool.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
:lol: if we get James, Sessegnon, Collins, Longstaff , AWB and Sancho. #brexitmeansbrexit

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Why has he got a long contract?
Signed a new deal in December.

Was in outstanding form before his injury and looked a much needed shining light for Newcastle - they won't be looking to sell cheap.

Id be surprised if this happened this summer but never know.

Was in outstanding form before his injury and looked a much needed shining light for Newcastle - they won't be looking to sell cheap.

I doubt he’s on high wages, I think the most we would pay is £40mil.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bet Woody’s loving these bargain basement players Ole’s after.
Make up your minds guys, is Woody a cheapskate or is he a transfer muppet who loves big names and big money signings?

ChaddyP

Make up your minds guys, is Woody a cheapskate or is he a transfer muppet who loves big names and big money signings?
i assumed he was being sarcastic meaning woodward is probably rolling his eyes behind his head buying all these cheaper un known players... but now im not even sure

luke511

Mike Ashley calls the shots, he wouldn't turn down a £30-40 million bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.