Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So why are we after Longstaff when all we need to do is give the same chance to Garner that Newcastle gave Longstaff?

If Ole is all about blooding in the youth like he says, then this is a perfect chance to do that.
The Coaching staff probably think he's a few years away from being a regular.

Chairman Steve

Everton are selling Lookman (a similarly aged player who's played five times more Premier League games) to RB Leipzig for like £22.5m. Our upper limit should be £30m cos bullshit English/PL tax...otherwise Newcastle are taking the piss

Last edited:

Stacks

He played around 40 games a season till 2010, was probably a tactical thing, like playing someone like Butt to be more defensive.

He started both home legs and came off the bench for both aways, given that he didn't want to get a second yellow and be suspended for the final the Juve one makes more sense, than not trusting him defensively. Of course he got yellow carded within 10 minutes of coming on, cause Scholes is gonna Scholes but still.
Keane wasn't benched and was also on a yellow. We had conceded 2 away goals. I don't think Fergie was thinking about the final mate.....

EDIT: in our 1999 season Scholes started only 24 league games.

Last edited:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Watched as many videos as I can on him. Someone please enlighten me. I really cannot see past his piss average ball control.
Can someone that has watched all 8 of his premier league appearances give me a good rundown of his pros and cons?

Stacks

Watched as many videos as I can on him. Someone please enlighten me. I really cannot see past his piss average ball control.
Can someone that has watched all 8 of his premier league appearances give me a good rundown of his pros and cons?
I personally don't get it. Looks pretty ordinary but I guess he attempts passes and takes risks so that's something. At 25 mill, why not?

Eric's Seagull

He played around 40 games a season till 2010, was probably a tactical thing, like playing someone like Butt to be more defensive.

He started both home legs and came off the bench for both aways, given that he didn't want to get a second yellow and be suspended for the final the Juve one makes more sense, than not trusting him defensively. Of course he got yellow carded within 10 minutes of coming on, cause Scholes is gonna Scholes but still.
Think what a lot of people forget to mention is that during the 1998/1999 ,season that Nicky Butt played 31 games in the league and made 47 appearances over all. I think him contribution that season is underestimated mate.

Lastwolf

Think what a lot of people forget to mention is that during the 1998/1999 ,season that Nicky Butt played 31 games in the league and made 47 appearances over all. I think him contribution that season is underestimated mate.
For sure, I watched all those games at the time and I forgot how often he played. You kinda get lost in the false narrative memory of him as Keane's backup when they often played together.

luke511

He's just come off the bench for Newcastle, back to full fitness I presume.

SteveW

So why are we after Longstaff when all we need to do is give the same chance to Garner that Newcastle gave Longstaff?

If Ole is all about blooding in the youth like he says, then this is a perfect chance to do that.
He's 17 ffs

Eric's Seagull

For sure, I watched all those games at the time and I forgot how often he played. You kinda get lost in the false narrative memory of him as Keane's backup when they often played together.
I think a lot of people who didn't watch us regularly that season thought that looking from the outside, it just seemed as Keane and Scholes played all the time and like you correctly said with Butt just seeming as Keane's backup.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm not saying he should be first name on the team sheet. And I doubt Longstaff would be an automatic starter either. And what does age have to do with ability?
Quite a bit? A 21 year old is likely to be a hell of a lot more developed than a 17 year old, both physically and otherwise. Which impacts on their current ability.

KristianMackle

Quite a bit? A 21 year old is likely to be a hell of a lot more developed than a 17 year old, both physically and otherwise. Which impacts on their current ability.
Really? Fabregas started playing in Arsenal's first team at 16. Rashford at 17, De Ligt? Mbappe?
Going by your logic, you'll take Phil Jones over De Ligt?
Age has nothing to do with ability. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

SteveW

I'm not saying he should be first name on the team sheet. And I doubt Longstaff would be an automatic starter either. And what does age have to do with ability?
They would be signing Longstaff to play regularly this season. Garner will probably take Matic's squad place this time next year.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Really? Fabregas started playing in Arsenal's first team at 16. Rashford at 17, De Ligt? Mbappe?
It is not unfair to argue that the vast majority of 21 year old footballers are better developed than the vast majority of 17 year old footballers. Providing the exceptions that you have actually underlines the truth of the argument against you.

Age does not have 'nothing' to do with ability. Some players are world class at 25 having not been world class at 18. With age comes additional experience. It is not possible to gain experience without also gaining age. It also goes the other way too - too much age will eventually affect ability negatively. So to say age has nothing to do with ability is clearly incorrect. Age may not have much to do with potential - I'd accept that argument if you wanted to make it.

LuckyScout78

Is Longstaff better than Lemina as DM?
From a personal point of view and observing. Lemina is faster and more skillful. But i think the full packet as a football player and person. Include mentality and football decisions. I would prefer Longstaff over Lemina. I think Longstaff would been better to handle bigger pressure to deliver consistent playing for one of the biggest club. Lemina i am afraid more of a mood player. You see the hard work and consistent mood personality of Kante and Fernandinho. I think Longstaff is more and closer to those than Lemina. Then the hard work mentality might win over the skills.

And if you dont limit them. I think both of Lemina and Longstaff can play box to box. Still young and high of energy and guts. And about Longstaff. If you give him space and time outside of the box. Then i think you are done. He has a good clinical finisher. And he is good to shoot the ball where the goalkeeper will find it difficult to save. So beside a really good all round football abilities. Longstaff is been able to score goals too.

Same as for Declan Rice. Rice is not a mood player. Consistent hard work and fighting mentality. Most of the time. We choose the guts to win and hard work over skills. You have super skills. But if you dont work hard, no top winning mentality and inconsistent mood. You will not hit the top level. As top level and world class level. Everything get to be on top. But mentality and skills. Its where and reason i think Longstaff is closer to the top level at this moment. As a full packet.

So again, if i have to choose beetween those two. I would go for Longstaff. At this moment. Because everything can change. In the future. More correctly everything will change. Because nothings will last forever. Both skills/body and mentality.

KristianMackle

It is not unfair to argue that the vast majority of 21 year old footballers are better developed than the vast majority of 17 year old footballers. Providing the exceptions that you have actually underlines the truth of the argument against you.

Age does not have 'nothing' to do with ability. Some players are world class at 25 having not been world class at 18. With age comes additional experience. It is not possible to gain experience without also gaining age. It also goes the other way too - too much age will eventually affect ability negatively. So to say age has nothing to do with ability is clearly incorrect. Age may not have much to do with potential - I'd accept that argument if you wanted to make it.
My point is basically not every 21 year old has more ability than a 17 year old and the opposite is also true. I'm not saying every 17 year old has more ability and potential than an older player. In the same vein, you cannot tell me every 21 year old has more ability than a younger one.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Different players develop at different paces. Some will be able to play well at 17, a lot won't. If you're good enough you're old enough but if you're older you're more likely to be "good enough" (i.e ready to make the step up).

In this case you're asking why sign Longstaff when we have Garner. The obvious answer being that they don't think he's as ready as someone like Longstaff. Which given their ages makes complete sense.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
My point is basically not every 21 year old has more ability than a 17 year old and the opposite is also true. I'm not saying every 17 year old has more ability and potential than an older player. In the same vein, you cannot tell me every 21 year old has more ability than a younger one.
You are making a straw man argument. At no point did I say every 21 year old. I said vast majority, which is, by definition, not everyone.

dutchred

I hope we get Longstaff. Garner has a lot of talent but is not ready yet for a full season. Mac is going to be overworked do he and longstaff can cover for each other.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

Longstaff isn't exactly experienced but he's played a fair few games in lower divisions on loan. Garner hasn't even had a full season in the U23s yet, he's still a boy.

Devil81

Longstaff is 21 years of age, Garner is 17.

His development is far greater at this stage.

Le Red

We need fresh blood but the answer is not throwing every kid in the U23s into the lion's cage.
Anyone who thinks Longstaff is redundant because we have Garner is seriously overrating what these kids can do as they are. There's a world of difference between a 17yo and a 21yo. The former is in the end of his teens, the latter is a young adult.
Truth is, most worry about Longstaff not being experienced enough, but as green as he is, he's still miles beyond Garner.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect

Apart from the age gap, Longstaff wouldn't get fed to the wolves if Newcastle didn't make Top 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.