Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcy

There's no issue whatsoever signing top class players without CL.
No there is an issue with us signing top class players without CL, a new manager, a less than glorious team atm. As has already been show top talent is not interested in coming here even if we offer bags of cash.

UncleBob

No there is an issue with us signing top class players without CL, a new manager, a less than glorious team atm. As has already been show top talent is not interested in coming here even if we offer bags of cash.
Like who ?

Redcy

According to what we can gather De Ligt was offered more money by us, with big promises and he said "no thanks"

UncleBob

De Ligt turned us down, according to Ornstein.
1- Who gives a feck what Ornstein reckons.
2- Even if true, it's one player, it's happened before and it'll happen again, was United the only club he turned down ? Didn't we just sign Bissaka, is he not a top talent ?

Redcy

2- Even if true, it's one player, it's happened before and it'll happen again, was United the only club he turned down ? Didn't we just sign Bissaka, is he not a top talent ?

1) I don't but multiple sources have said he turned us down. No others were turned down too, but we offered him the most money and he still said feck off.
2) Really Bissaka? As much as I am happy with him, one could hardly say he is a big talent who lots of teams were interested in. Plus we paid 50m for him.

Ok let me ask you which top talents should we be going all out to buy, genuine question. I have no buy into longstaff at all, never heard of the lad, but I cant see which top tier players are joining us this year.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
AWB may be a top class talent but he's a top class talent coming from Crystal Palace, who also have no CL.

That changes if (as in the case of De Ligt or Sancho, say) the player is already at a CL club and has the option of moving to several other CL clubs. At that point there is an issue with signing top class talent without CL. Even more so when you have been missing out on the CL regularly over the last several years.

Red_toad

Madrid bought him when he was 17. Longstaff is 21. A couple of games at 17 is impressive. A couple of games at 21, not so much...
He’d played 17 minutes first team football. Longstaff hasn’t just played 9 first team games. There are plenty of midfielders who’ve made zero premier league appearances who sections of our fans would love here.
If Longstaff has been identified as a target, then its all good, if he can perform as he did against City consistently, he’ll be a worthy addition, even at 50 million.

UncleBob

AWB may be a top class talent but he's a top class talent coming from Crystal Palace, who also have no CL.

That changes if (as in the case of De Ligt or Sancho, say) the player is already at a CL club and has the option of moving to several other CL clubs. At that point there is an issue with signing top class talent without CL. Even more so when you have been missing out on the CL regularly over the last several years.
Unless multiple players turn us down due to the lack of CL, it's no problem. De Ligt could've turned us down even if we had CL next season.

Stacks

£30 million plus £10 million depending on targets met.

Get it done. He's a high energy player with stack loads of desire, heart and talent. Everything we lack right now. We'd be mad heading into the season thinking we can win games with Matic and Fred as our starting central midfielders next to Pogba.
Everything we lack? The hype is getting real. You dont even know if he is better than Scott McT and apparently everything we lack. He is the answer all of a sudden just because we got linked in May. Die Antwood

UncleBob

1) I don't but multiple sources have said he turned us down. No others were turned down too, but we offered him the most money and he still said feck off.
2) Really Bissaka? As much as I am happy with him, one could hardly say he is a big talent who lots of teams were interested in. Plus we paid 50m for him.

Ok let me ask you which top talents should we be going all out to buy, genuine question. I have no buy into longstaff at all, never heard of the lad, but I cant see which top tier players are joining us this year.
Essentially you're fully of shit. You initially claim that we're missing out on top talent, yet the only example you have is De Ligt, who was coveted by most of the top clubs and turned them all down apart from Juventus, what if his mind was set on Juventus the entire time, you can't even back up a claim that he turned us down because we can't offer CL football, yet you use him as an example.

Then the criteria is changed, Bissaka isn't really a top talent and lots of teams weren't interested either, so us signing him doesn't really mean much, and he was expensive as well (as all top talents these days are)

Couldn't be less bothered if you rate Longstaff or not.

Champagne Football

Everything we lack? The hype is getting real. You dont even know if he is better than Scott McT and apparently everything we lack. He is the answer all of a sudden just because we got linked in May. Die Antwood
He is a completely different player to Scott McT. Scott McT is a Fletcher clone. He will be brought in in games away to Man City and Liverpool etc to break up their rhythm. In easier games he will be benched. Longstaff from the video posted on here looks like a Carrick clone. A player who can make a monkey out of his opponent in tight spaces. A player with real vision. Yes he will need to be developed and will be frustrating and inconsistent initially, but he looks awesome. There's a reason people like Martin Keown are tipping him to be better than Declan Rice very soon.

Red Bilko

Last Man Standing Hard Mode champion 2023/24
He is a completely different player to Scott McT. Scott McT is a Fletcher clone. He will be brought in in games away to Man City and Liverpool etc to break up their rhythm. In easier games he will be benched. Longstaff from the video posted on here looks like a Carrick clone. A player who can make a monkey out of his opponent in tight spaces. A player with real vision. Yes he will need to be developed and will be frustrating and inconsistent initially, but he looks awesome. There's a reason people like Martin Keown are tipping him to be better than Declan Rice very soon.
Fletcher could tackle, I'm still to see McT put in a hard tackle or get some dirt on his backside. Not going in on him, just think he's nothing like Fletcher except having similar colour hair and physique.

Tarrou

There's no issue whatsoever signing top class players without CL.
It's not just no CL though but that is clearly a factor for some players. We're a poor team compared to the top teams so of course that will impact players decisions to join or not.

Smores

The number of games doesnt matter if he has the right quality
When it's the number of games that constrains any proper judgement of him then yeah it does matter.

People have seen a few videos and a couple of games, yet because he's the only one we're linked with he's being hyped to ridiculous levels. The amount of players who have had a decent half season before falling off a cliff is endless.

SteveW

When it's the number of games that constrains any proper judgement of him then yeah it does matter.

People have seen a few videos and a couple of games, yet because he's the only one we're linked with he's being hyped to ridiculous levels. The amount of players who have had a decent half season before falling off a cliff is endless.
The scouts and coaches will have seen enough. How many games you've seen is irrelevant

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Strange arguement. Of course united can still sign big talents without CL football. Of course some talents will turn united down due to a lack of CL football. It's not exactly one or the other.

Champagne Football

Fletcher could tackle, I'm still to see McT put in a hard tackle or get some dirt on his backside. Not going in on him, just think he's nothing like Fletcher except having similar colour hair and physique.
Fletcher was the biggest laughing stock this club has ever seen in his first season. He was the butt of every joke. Took him about 4 seasons before he transformed the jibes into praise, when he suddenly became a monster performer. With Scott you can see glimpses of a player who will eventually be a monster performer, even though he'll only be used in certain types of games.

dev1l

Fletcher was the biggest laughing stock this club has ever seen in his first season. He was the butt of every joke. Took him about 4 seasons before he transformed the jibes into praise, when he suddenly became a monster performer. With Scott you can see glimpses of a player who will eventually be a monster performer, even though he'll only be used in certain types of games.
In his first season people used to call Fletcher "the Scottish player"....implying that he only played because he was a fellow Scot as the manager.
He eventually won his detractors by almost becoming indispensable for the team.or at least that what Jose (then at Chelsea) said once about him

KristianMackle

There's a bit of Carrick in Longstaff but it is unfortunate if we don't have a player like him in our academy or reserves .

Stacks

Everything you described from his (Sean's) Youtube clip, Fred's youtube clip betters it. please see below. Being better than Rice isn't saying much. Our current crop of midfielders are basic as hell.

SteveW

There's a bit of Carrick in Longstaff but it is unfortunate if we don't have a player like him in our academy or reserves .
Holding midfielders with great passing range are extremely rare. Sometimes you just have to do what it takes to get the right player.

People seem to find it easy to say we should walk away but they dont suggest alternative targets for the role.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You have 150 posts in this thread and your level of "opinion" is well if the club think he's good then i do too? Brilliant.
Actually alot of my posts are giving my own opinion of the player, which you have quite conveniently forgot to mention. Brilliant..

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Holding midfielders with great passing range are extremely rare. Sometimes you just have to do what it takes to get the right player.

People seem to find it easy to say we should walk away but they dont suggest alternative targets for the role.
Is it? Surely in a generation that grew up watching Carrick, Scholes, Pirlo etc thered be a few more holding/deep lying playmakers?

Rish Sawhney

Is it? Surely in a generation that grew up watching Carrick, Scholes, Pirlo etc thered be a few more holding/deep lying playmakers?
You mean the Scholes that kept getting shunted out wide for England, Pirlo that was nowhere near as highly rated in Milan until he became a regista for Juve, or the Carrick that could barely get into the English side even though England didn’t have any other 6 at the time?

Face it. Deep lying midfielders rarely get any glamour and are not what kids look up to when they’re growing up.

Stacks

You mean the Scholes that kept getting shunted out wide for England, Pirlo that was nowhere near as highly rated in Milan until he became a regista for Juve, or the Carrick that could barely get into the English side even though England didn’t have any other 6 at the time?

Face it. Deep lying midfielders rarely get any glamour and are not what kids look up to when they’re growing up.
In 2005 United fans should of been well aware of Pirlo as he was part of an AC Milan midfield which played us off the park and reached the CL final, also playing Liverpool off the park. This was one of the best midfields I had seen in a while. Pirlo then starred in the world cup which his nation won, the following year.
That year 2006 he made the Fifa world 11, world cup all star team, was leading assister in the world cup, won the world cup bronze ball, was rated IFFS best playmaker, finished 5th in Ballon D'or. All of this was at the age of 27. The following year Pirlo once again was in top 10 Ballon D'or players and world player of the year. This is all before he joined Juventus

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC

I disagree and i wouldn't use England as criteria in determining whether a player was good or not.

Fingeredmouse

In his first season people used to call Fletcher "the Scottish player"....implying that he only played because he was a fellow Scot as the manager.
He eventually won his detractors by almost becoming indispensable for the team.or at least that what Jose (then at Chelsea) said once about him
I'd always assumed "the Scottish Player" was a clever play on "the Scottish Play" McBeth thing.

RedorDead21

I disagree and i wouldn't use England as criteria in determining whether a player was good or not.
Didn't Fergie himself drop Scholes to the bench for our bigger games even before age became a factor? Or am I remembering wrong? Like some big barca games etc?

Lastwolf

Didn't Fergie himself drop Scholes to the bench for our bigger games even before age became a factor? Or am I remembering wrong? Like some big barca games etc?
He played around 40 games a season till 2010, was probably a tactical thing, like playing someone like Butt to be more defensive.

Champions league 1999. Was on the bench vs both Inter and Juve in the quarters and Semi.
He started both home legs and came off the bench for both aways, given that he didn't want to get a second yellow and be suspended for the final the Juve one makes more sense, than not trusting him defensively. Of course he got yellow carded within 10 minutes of coming on, cause Scholes is gonna Scholes but still.

Last edited:

KristianMackle

So why are we after Longstaff when all we need to do is give the same chance to Garner that Newcastle gave Longstaff?

If Ole is all about blooding in the youth like he says, then this is a perfect chance to do that.

Red Rash

I think Longstaff could be a good addition but this is definitely one of the situations where we need to set a limit on the price and stick to it.

If we spend 50 million it sets a bad precident, especially when we try and make further signings. We paid a lot of AWB but he is somewhat proven whereas with Longstaff it's completely unknown.

I'm pretty sure we can put in a 30 million offer and get him which isn't too bad in the current climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.