Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champagne Football

If this guy was that good, don't you think other teams would be in for him?

Not even the lower half of the table are in for him!
Declan Rice and James Maddison are worth at least £120 million plus right now combined. Nobody had the first clue who they were a year ago

Pav1878

What a shite argument. As if he'd leave his boyhood club for anything but a top club at this point.
Ok so if not a lower league club, he wouldn't leave Newcastle who have no manager, just got rid of their two best attackers and are not gonna spend any money, for a team like wolves or Leicester even? He would. But they aren't in for him. I wonder why?

gza the genius

Why would Newcastle sell for 20m? Even if he just has an average season next year they'd be able to get 20m still the way the market is. If he has a good season the 50m won't seem so unreasonable. We shouldn't pay 50m, obviously, but you can't exactly blame Newcastle either.

Pav1878

Most teams don't have £50m to spend on a prospect, however good he is. If he was available at something like £20 mil, they'd all be in for him.
The whole premier League has shedloads of cash.

ArjenIsM3

Ok so if not a lower league club, he wouldn't leave Newcastle who have no manager, just got rid of their two best attackers and are not gonna spend any money, for a team like wolves or Leicester even? He would. But they aren't in for him. I wonder why?
Everybody knows Bruce will be their manager soon and they probably will get in a few players. IF they don't and IF they then fail to stay up he'll have gained valuable PL experience as a starter for his boyhood club and he'll be in a much better position to join a top club. Leave for a team like Wolves now and you'll be stuck there for years while everyone in Newcastle feels like they've been betrayed by one of their own.

Pav1878

Everybody knows Bruce will be their manager soon and they probably will get in a few players. IF they don't and IF they then fail to stay up he'll have gained valuable PL experience as a starter for his boyhood club and he'll be in a much better position to join a top club. Leave for a team like Wolves now and you'll be stuck there for years while everyone in Newcastle feels like they've been betrayed by one of their own.
I don't think being 'stuck' at Wolves for a few years is a negative. They are a team going places whereas Newcastle are going down.

Anyway, we digress. My point is, United are the only team in for him and that is not because he isn't a prospect or a good player, but because he is overpriced and we should walk away. There are many prospects out there that won't cost £50mil.

And you can't tell me that £50mil buys us PL experience here or he is PL proven, because he clearly isn't.

This deal at that price would be insane.

But let's see what transpires.

We aren't in charge at United and they will do what they think is best. The rest of us are left to debate whether we feel they are good moves or not.

In this case and the case of Maguire, i feel they are bad deals for the club.

George The Best

Some good points there imo. Bruce is taking on a massive risk project there, not sure why he’s so keen given Rafa felt they had little ambition. He’s going to have to wheel and deal at the Poundshop to get players in, just to replace those they’ve already lost. Fully expect him to be on to us, plus others, for some loans. He’d be foolish to let Longstaff go though, hence the price.

Gandalf

Some good points there imo. Bruce is taking on a massive risk project there, not sure why he’s so keen given Rafa felt they had little ambition. He’s going to have to wheel and deal at the Poundshop to get players in, just to replace those they’ve already lost. Fully expect him to be on to us, plus others, for some loans. He’d be foolish to let Longstaff go though, hence the price.
Tell him to give us Longstaff and he can have Jones, Rojo, Darmian, Young and Sanchez for free.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't think being 'stuck' at Wolves for a few years is a negative. They are a team going places whereas Newcastle are going down.

Anyway, we digress. My point is, United are the only team in for him and that is not because he isn't a prospect or a good player, but because he is overpriced and we should walk away. There are many prospects out there that won't cost £50mil.

And you can't tell me that £50mil buys us PL experience here or he is PL proven, because he clearly isn't.

We aren't in charge at United and they will do what they think is best. The rest of us are left to debate whether we feel they are good moves or not.

The reason there isn't more teams in for him now, is mostly likely due to him only being involved with Newcastle's first team since January. Many clubs will be keeping a close eye on him, that much I'm confident about.

I'm assuming we've scouted him and we believe he could develop into the world class #6 we've been looking for. The Coaching staff/Scouts probably feel we need to move for him now, before his price sky rockets and we have to compete with other clubs for his signature.

This is a opportunistic move from the club to get in there early to avoid paying a even bigger fee in a years time.

George The Best

The reason there isn't more teams in for him now, is mostly likely due to him only being involved with Newcastle's first team since January. Many clubs will be keeping a close eye on him, that much I'm confident about.

I'm assuming we've scouted him and we believe he could develop into the world class #6 we've been looking for. The Coaching staff/Scouts probably feel we need to move for him now, before his price sky rockets and we have to compete with other clubs for his signature.

This is a opportunistic move from the club to get in there early to avoid paying a even bigger fee in a years time.
Yep, agree with all of that. I truly think we identified a very good prospect there and made our move before anybody else. Trouble is that Ashley has seen what we paid for AWB and has simply said i’ll have some of that. He’s already sold some of his better players for peanuts, so he’s just playing the game.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yep, agree with all of that. I truly think we identified a very good prospect there and made our move before anybody else. Trouble is that Ashley has seen what we paid for AWB and has simply said i’ll have some of that. He’s already sold some of his better players for peanuts, so he’s just playing the game.
Ashley will do his utmost to rinse us on the transfer fee and who can blame him.

But I think it's a waiting game with Longstaff and Ashley will eventually lower his demands.

roseguy64

We might be best off getting the important signings done even if it means overpaying slightly for one summer. We absolutely can not go into next season with our current group of CMs.

If Longstaff is the best option in their opinion then there is no point in signing someone else. It's too much of an important position and we are trying to sign players to play here for years to come. At 21 we'd probably get 10 years out of him so if he is a good player 50 million will represent excellent value over time especially considering prices will probably inflate by another 10-15% by next summer. Pogba looked insane at 80 million only for an inferior player in Coutinho to move for near 150m not long after. We're hearing Tyrone Mings for 30m, Lewis Dunk for 45m. If Longstaff has the right quality and mentality and has a decade of football in him is 50m really that big a deal?

This probably will be the last time we need to overpay for a footballer. Once we no longer have a gaping hole in our squad that everyone can see we will be in a much better position to negotiate and will be able to walk away when required or focus on adding young gems as we find them instead of big money signings. Right now however, our chance of success and top 4 next season hinge on whether we can get a couple of quality CMs into the club. Leon Osman said the other day he still thinks he could get a game in midfield for us and he's probably not wrong if the likes of Fred and Pereira can.

I really don't think it's worth fecking ourselves for another season for the sake of 20m that inflation would mean we'd end up playing anyway next summer.
Boy am I glad you're not in charge of the club's or my finances

Crashoutcassius

Why weren't the top teams in for maguire a few years ago? Or Andy robertson the year before he went to pool ? 8m for a player that would be that good ? Or Seamus coleman before he went to Everton for 50k

KennyBurner

Better footage of him making passes along the ground which is important. Also looks two footed which is also very similar to carrick. whoscored lists passing as one of his weaknesses https://www.whoscored.com/Players/342811/Show/Sean-Longstaff ? Hope this is inaccurate. Wish we had more footage of him to be honest. The video doesn't show much in the tackling department or how he sets up defensively. Is he also an engine which is vital to our sqaud?

Newcastle are smoking if they think he is 50 million worth with only 10 PL games. Why dont they just give it to us for 30 mil? Player needs to force the move.

AP88

Supports
Man City

Wolves and Leicester already have very accomplished midfielders, who’d walk into the United team; the fact they’re not in for him is no indicator of his ability. It’s worth noting Longstaff dominated Neves and Moutinho when they played against him.

Chelsea have a transfer ban, Arsenal have a minimal budget and bought two very good midfielders last year. Pep naturally went for the tapas option in Rodri, Liverpool have a lot of depth in a Champions League winning midfield and will likely only reinforce it with a more attacking player like Coutinho or Eriksen.
Spurs got Ndombele, a deal they’ve been working on for 18 months and consumed the majority of their budget; there’s literally nobody else who Longstaff would want to leave his hometown club for, especially if he’s been aware of United’s interest for a while under the radar.

If he had a Dortmund shirt on spraying passes about like that, the sceptics would be buzzing about the prospect of signing him.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
The problem is sample size. But what I don't think can be denied by those who have seen his games is that there certainly something about the look of him. It is in the little things like receiving the ball in tight areas on the half turn, something Carrick and Scholes made a career out of, it isn't to be sniffed at that he always seems to have time and space on the ball at his age, that is something that is innate in some players and I particularly like his willingness to go and get the ball.

Where he will need refining is his defensive work and that will require a degree of patience that I don't think a lot of our fan base are capable of anymore. Although it needs to start sinking in that there isn't a way to be competitive and to be rebuilding all at the same time. The composition of the squad has been thrown out of whack with the last 3 managers so that those smooth transitions between sides has gone.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
People tend to bring up the argument "it is not your money" to justify paying over the odds. I have to disagree on that as there is always a limit of what will be paid on transfer fees and wages so as a fan I am always for getting the right players for reasonable prices.
Exactly. Hypothetically, what if Maguire will cost us 200m and Longstaff will cost 100m, will they still say the same thing “it’s not my money so I don’t care how much he cost”. I doubt it. For the club to sustain in long term, it has to be within a reasonable limit.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

This opportunistic move would have made sense if it was attached to a realistic fee. At 50m one can buy a better player

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This opportunistic move would have made sense if it was attached to a realistic fee. At 50m one can buy a better player
Palace wanted £70m for AWB if reports are to be believed. I'm pretty confident Longstaff could be bought for considerably less.

Pav1878

Wolves and Leicester already have very accomplished midfielders, who’d walk into the United team; the fact they’re not in for him is no indicator of his ability. It’s worth noting Longstaff dominated Neves and Moutinho when they played against him.

Chelsea have a transfer ban, Arsenal have a minimal budget and bought two very good midfielders last year. Pep naturally went for the tapas option in Rodri, Liverpool have a lot of depth in a Champions League winning midfield and will likely only reinforce it with a more attacking player like Coutinho or Eriksen.
Spurs got Ndombele, a deal they’ve been working on for 18 months and consumed the majority of their budget; there’s literally nobody else who Longstaff would want to leave his hometown club for, especially if he’s been aware of United’s interest for a while under the radar.

If he had a Dortmund shirt on spraying passes about like that, the sceptics would be buzzing about the prospect of signing him.
I really don't understand the confidence some of our fans have in transfers like this. Has everyone forgotten about Jones, Smalling, Miller, and even Shaw to an extent? Being British (or Irish) doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna be a success at United. And neither does being from abroad. We should just be targeting the best players in the positions we need filling. And if we are all in agreement with that then I don't see how Longstaff is the best or even one of the ten best in his position worldwide. That's my point. Not his potential, not his value, he just isn't good enough right now and there are better options out there.

You mention Ndombele, we should have been targeting players like him instead. Yes I know they are different players but I'm talking about the quality level.

devilish

Palace wanted £70m for AWB if reports are to be believed. I'm pretty confident Longstaff could be bought for considerably less.
We're talking about a kid with just 9 EPL appearances and who had also suffered from a bad injury. Anything above the 25m mark is simply not worth it.

devilish

I really don't understand the confidence some of our fans have in transfers like this. Has everyone forgotten about Jones, Smalling, Miller, and even Shaw to an extent? Being British (or Irish) doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna be a success at United. And neither does being from abroad. We should just be targeting the best players in the positions we need filling. And if we are all in agreement with that then I don't see how Longstaff is the best or even one of the ten best in his position worldwide. That's my point. Not his potential, not his value, he just isn't good enough right now and there are better options out there.

You mention Ndombele, we should have been targeting players like him instead. Yes I know they are different players but I'm talking about the quality level.
Also most of the time kids are better off away from top clubs until they are experienced enough to make the next step. Longstaff is probably better off at Newcastle then with us.

Red_toad

Also most of the time kids are better off away from top clubs until they are experienced enough to make the next step. Longstaff is probably better off at Newcastle then with us.
A club where the incoming manager is as popular as finding out the new neighbour is on the sex offenders list. A club where the owner is mainly concerned about his personal finances. A club that is likely to be fighting relegation.
Sure he’s better off there, over getting a bumper pay increase and joining a club that might actually win something.

DarkRed

1. Ole wants to play 4-2-3-1.
2. When you look up 4-2-3-1 you will find en example - Michael Carrick is a perfect player to play DM in that particular formation.
3. People that have watched Sean play all said he s a copy of Michael Carrick.

So we can just connect the dots :)

RedDevilUnited369

I feel like we should leave this one alone this season, or buy him for no more than £25m and send him back to Newcastle for Brucie this season.

Ekeke

Most teams don't have £50m to spend on a prospect, however good he is. If he was available at something like £20 mil, they'd all be in for him.
But they werent. At no point were any other club in for him, even before Newcastle's outlandish fee

devilish

A club where the incoming manager is as popular as finding out the new neighbour is on the sex offenders list. A club where the owner is mainly concerned about his personal finances. A club that is likely to be fighting relegation.Sure he’s better off there, over getting a bumper pay increase and joining a club that might actually win something.
Well Bruce is certainly more EPL proven then Ole is and the least said about owners who are mainly concerned about their personal finances the better.

Irrespective of that kids need regular first team football to develop, something top clubs can barely give them that.

Patrick08

I agree. It's a sellers market at the moment and clubs recognize that they can hold out for big money from the big clubs.
What goes around comes around. Soon champion ship clubs will demand big money from Epl clubs.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We're talking about a kid with just 9 EPL appearances and who had also suffered from a bad injury. Anything above the 25m mark is simply not worth it.
I think we should let the Coaching staff/Scouts and the club decide if he's worth it. If Carrick along with Bout and Lawlor believe he could reach a world class level, then that is good enough for me.

devilish

I think we should let the Coaching staff/Scouts and the club decide if he's worth it. If Carrick along with Bout and Lawlor believe he could reach a world class level, then that is good enough for me.
Apologies for this but I really don't place any trust on our coaching staff and scouts. They are the ones who thought that bringing in Fred for crazy money was a good idea.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Apologies for this but I really don't place any trust on our coaching staff and scouts. They are the ones who thought that bringing in Fred for crazy money was a good idea.
If you believe Jason Burt of the Telegraph, Mourinho used his personal scouts to sign the likes of Fred. Our Scouts have more or less been more influential at academy level in the past few years. Marcel Bout who was made head of global scouting in 2016 has had very little input with Mourinho at the helm. Bout is a very well known talent/opposition scout in the Netherlands and Germany and he along with the rest of our scouts have been badly under utilised in the last few years if Jason Burt is to be believed.

Status
Not open for further replies.