Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick08

Should have got him for the James price, however the longer Ed delays this it gets difficult with Toons using Rice and AWB as examples.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I'd like to see him left where he is to be honest. Granted Newcastle are a shambles, but he will most likely start and, potentially, be one of their key players.

Let him develop beyond a handful of top flight games.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I'd like to see him left where he is to be honest. Granted Newcastle are a shambles, but he will most likely start and, potentially, be one of their key players.

Let him develop beyond a handful of top flight games.
I’d rather pay £70-£80 million next summer after a season of dominating performances than pay £50 million this summer after nine fecking games.

He just hasn’t played enough so far to justify spending that much on him.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I’d rather pay £70-£80 million next summer after a season of dominating performances than pay £60 million this summer after nine fecking games.

He just hasn’t played enough so far to justify spending that much on him.
Even Newcastle themselves have only dared set the price at 50m. Whose side are you on? :lol:

poleglass red

Leave him there, we have enough talent in the youth teams to manage a season.
do we have that physical presence though. I know we have the likes of Garner coming through but he lacks the physical nature that Longstaff or a player of his ilk brings.

Denis79

if they are serious about 50m then we walk away and call their bluff.
Crazy money, I know it's not from my pocket but what has he achieved to be worth that much. Pretty sure that kind of money can bring us someone better than him.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

People tend to bring up the argument "it is not your money" to justify paying over the odds. I have to disagree on that as there is always a limit of what will be paid on transfer fees and wages so as a fan I am always for getting the right players for reasonable prices.

settembrini

If he does well this season then buy him next summer after Newcastle have been relegated.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
People tend to bring up the argument "it is not your money" to justify paying over the odds. I have to disagree on that as there is always a limit of what will be paid on transfer fees and wages so as a fan I am always for getting the right players for reasonable prices.
The other side to that is that fans are hopeless at assessing the value of a given player to the club as they do not have the information neccesary to do so. Yet you see people saying "I'd pay X for him but not X+10m", like they have any idea what they're on about.

Hughie77

Got harder now, Steve Bruce has gone to the Toon, he's not letting him go? That's a given give up on this transfer.

Red_toad

Newcastle are trying it on with us. 50 million after 9 premiership games, NO WAY.
Didn’t Real signed a 16 year old after less than 20 minutes first team football for 45 million euros. So football doesn’t make sense with regard to money.
United won’t be signing Longstaff for 50 million, I don’t know why people need to repeat the same sentiments over and over again. By the looks of it any deal is dead and this thread should also have died off, if not for those who wish to repeat he’s not worth 50 million endlessly.

poleglass red

Didn’t Real signed a 16 year old after less than 20 minutes first team football for 45 million euros. So football doesn’t make sense with regard to money.
United won’t be signing Longstaff for 50 million, I don’t know why people need to repeat the same sentiments over and over again. By the looks of it any deal is dead and this thread should also have died off, if not for those who wish to repeat he’s not worth 50 million endlessly.
the deal is dead, why?
haven't been following this one too closely but what has happened. I thought if anything, with Steve Bruce set to be appointed, it would fuel anyone's desire to leave that club even more.

Gandalf

the deal is dead, why?
haven't been following this one too closely but what has happened. I thought if anything, with Steve Bruce set to be appointed, it would fuel anyone's desire to leave that club even more.
Presumed dead because our sources state we value the lad at 18-20m. Newcastle see him as a valuable part of their future and so would only sell for an insane amount and so have slapped a 50m price tag on his head. That gap in valuations seems to be insurmountable and in all probability we are looking at other targets. The best chance this gets revived is if Bruce shows up and decides he is not all that and tells Ashley to go ahead and cash in now.

poleglass red

Presumed dead because our sources state we value the lad at 18-20m. Newcastle see him as a valuable part of their future and so would only sell for an insane amount and so have slapped a 50m price tag on his head. That gap in valuations seems to be insurmountable and in all probability we are looking at other targets. The best chance this gets revived is if Bruce shows up and decides he is not all that and tells Ashley to go ahead and cash in now.
Ashley is a money grabbing piece of shit who will cash in on this lad who cost him nothing. If and that's a big if, we truly want him, we'd get him for 25-30 million. Newcastle aren't looking at the future, they've an owner who wants to sell the club.He's trying to get max value as he should for any player he sells, nothing wrong with that, but what he'd like and what he'd get are 2 different things. even at 25 million this lad is way overpriced considering his experience

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
if they are serious about 50m then we walk away and call their bluff.
Newcastle are a bit like a builder I dealt with recently. He quoted me £17k to insulate, board and plaster skim a garage when all of the other quotes I got were about £5k. He gave me an unrealistic price as he didn’t really want the job. If I accepted it he was quids in. If not he’s not losing work he wanted.

I told him to poke it as he was taking the piss and We should do the same to Newcastle.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Ashley is a money grabbing piece of shit who will cash in on this lad who cost him nothing. If and that's a big if, we truly want him, we'd get him for 25-30 million. Newcastle aren't looking at the future, they've an owner who wants to sell the club.He's trying to get max value as he should for any player he sells, nothing wrong with that, but what he'd like and what he'd get are 2 different things. even at 25 million this lad is way overpriced considering his experience
And it's not as if losing a young player with hardly any games under his belt would affect the value of the club. It would be free money for Ashley.

Dante

Average bang
Newcastle don't want to sell because they rate him as a potential world beater. That's why they've set a prohibitively high price.

FujiVice

Anyone who knows anything about Newcastle United will tell you everything in that club is for sale at the right price. If we want him bad enough we'll get him. We said about 50m for Fred, so nothing is out of the question with this club.

mu4c_20le

Even if Ole really wants him I dont think he can justify to the board paying £50m for him. 30m max imo, some of that add ons. Hopefully the silence means they are actually working on it.

Sparky Rhiwabon

£25m plus
£5m after 20 appearances
£5m after 50 appearances
£10m for England cap in competitive match whilst at United (excludes Nations Cup)
10% sell on clause

Jacob

We'd be the laughing stock world wide if we buy him for 50. He'd be up there with the 20 most expensive transfers of all time, Sean fvcking Longstaff.

Gandalf

Newcastle are a virtual lock to be relegated at this point. Perez is gone, Rondon is not coming back, Almiron is out of his depth and Brucie is a lovely bloke but a bang average manager. I don't like Benitez but he was seriously good at his job. Once the Toon are championship bound the price for Longstaff will be more like 10 million and a new coffee machine for Ashleys office. we are not buying him to play 50 games this year so we can wait a window or two if Newcastle are going to be silly about it.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Didnt Chelsea turn down about £40m for CHO?

He's only played a dozen games.

SteveW

We might be best off getting the important signings done even if it means overpaying slightly for one summer. We absolutely can not go into next season with our current group of CMs.

If Longstaff is the best option in their opinion then there is no point in signing someone else. It's too much of an important position and we are trying to sign players to play here for years to come. At 21 we'd probably get 10 years out of him so if he is a good player 50 million will represent excellent value over time especially considering prices will probably inflate by another 10-15% by next summer. Pogba looked insane at 80 million only for an inferior player in Coutinho to move for near 150m not long after. We're hearing Tyrone Mings for 30m, Lewis Dunk for 45m. If Longstaff has the right quality and mentality and has a decade of football in him is 50m really that big a deal?

This probably will be the last time we need to overpay for a footballer. Once we no longer have a gaping hole in our squad that everyone can see we will be in a much better position to negotiate and will be able to walk away when required or focus on adding young gems as we find them instead of big money signings. Right now however, our chance of success and top 4 next season hinge on whether we can get a couple of quality CMs into the club. Leon Osman said the other day he still thinks he could get a game in midfield for us and he's probably not wrong if the likes of Fred and Pereira can.

I really don't think it's worth fecking ourselves for another season for the sake of 20m that inflation would mean we'd end up playing anyway next summer.

Champagne Football

£30 million plus £10 million depending on targets met.

Get it done. He's a high energy player with stack loads of desire, heart and talent. Everything we lack right now. We'd be mad heading into the season thinking we can win games with Matic and Fred as our starting central midfielders next to Pogba.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Newcastle are a bit like a builder I dealt with recently. He quoted me £17k to insulate, board and plaster skim a garage when all of the other quotes I got were about £5k. He gave me an unrealistic price as he didn’t really want the job. If I accepted it he was quids in. If not he’s not losing work he wanted.

I told him to poke it as he was taking the piss and We should do the same to Newcastle.
A bulider that didn't want to get a highly profitable building work? That's one strange fella. Sounds like one of family guy's interludes more than reality.

Pav1878

Newcastle don't want to sell because they rate him as a potential world beater. That's why they've set a prohibitively high price.
:lol: or they've seen us coming and have racked up the price to rip us off cos the know we always overpay and are desperate?

Pav1878

If this guy was that good, don't you think other teams would be in for him?

Not even the lower half of the table are in for him!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This is more of a opportunistic move for us IMO.

The Coaching staff along with the Scouts have possibly evaluated the player, and have decided he can reach a world class level. So want to move early and beat the competition.

I see posts in the Harry Maguire thread question why we didn't move for Maguire whilst he was at Sheffield United or Hull. This scenario with the Geordie lad is similar to when Maguire was at the two Yorkshire clubs IMO.

So if our Coaching and Scouting teams believe he can develop into a world class midfielder then I fully back them. If they believe he could reach the same level as someone like Ruiz at Napoli, then we should all back our scouts/Ole. I personally have been very impressed with the players skillset and can see why the scouts/Coaching team would rate him so highly.

Mike Ashley is just posturing and will sell for much lower than what he's briefing to the media. I think a offer of £20m with add-ons will do it. They'll possibly insert a sell on clause in the contract too.

Status
Not open for further replies.