Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

George The Best

This might be the only other deal we do this summer. We’ve got cash and players that Bruce might like to get it done. AWB has shown that talented youngsters can strengthen us. Longstaff might just be the next AWB if we can strike a deal.

Alabaster Codify7

I actually think this is dead.
We'll sign Maguire and nobody else; if Lukaku leaves, we'll possibly replace him but Im leaning towards 'no'.

We'll sign 2 x midfielders next summer, and Longstaff might be one of them.

George The Best

I actually think this is dead.
We'll sign Maguire and nobody else; if Lukaku leaves, we'll possibly replace him but Im leaning towards 'no'.

We'll sign 2 x midfielders next summer, and Longstaff might be one of them.
I really think Maguire is looking unlikely now. We need better protection for the back 4, so I think this one may be a runner.

ManchesterYoda

This might be the only other deal we do this summer. We’ve got cash and players that Bruce might like to get it done. AWB has shown that talented youngsters can strengthen us. Longstaff might just be the next AWB if we can strike a deal.
There is an important difference. Wan-Bissaka is statistically excellent defensively. Longstaff is statistically average defensively.

Untd55

I don't think we are going to sign anyone else now. It is looking less likely: rumours are dying down or just being endlessly repeated. I think we might be done this window for transfers.

DarkRed

I don't think we are going to sign anyone else now. It is looking less likely: rumours are dying down or just being endlessly repeated. I think we might be done this window for transfers.
We don't have a backup/competition for DM(Matic) and no LCB, so this is potentially two signings that would/should happen.

11reds

If United think this kid is the next Carrick, then we should try to use some of our surplus players in any deal.

Would Newcastle take Jones or Rojo.

roseguy64

If United think this kid is the next Carrick, then we should try to use some of our surplus players in any deal.

Would Newcastle take Jones or Rojo.
The player has to want to go there. I doubt they would unless it's a loan.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That's insane. Seriously. Would you take 20m, or even 50m, for Greenwood?
Newcastle loves Longstaff. There's no way I would sell him if I was them.
. It has to be a deal that good enough for the player and both clubs. We offer a deal that we think is right.

11reds

The player has to want to go there. I doubt they would unless it's a loan.
Agreed. As much as we need players in we also need to get the deadwood out. Hopefully some of these players like darmian and Rojo have some pride and want to play week in week out rather than pick up the cheque at the end of the week.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
. It has to be a deal that good enough for the player and both clubs. We offer a deal that we think is right.
It doesn't matter what we think is "right". It's what Newcastle think that matters.

And they rate him pretty much as highly as we rate Greenwood. So 20 million plus add-ons is a little disrespecting.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It doesn't matter what we think is "right". It's what Newcastle think that matters.

And they rate him pretty much as highly as we rate Greenwood. So 20 million plus add-ons is a little disrespecting.
I don’t know. We can only offer what we think is the right price.

I’m not sure we should just give them anything they value him.

If we only value him 20m plus adds on, they can just say no. Just like any other club can value Greenwood for 5m.

Last edited:

Eric's Seagull

If we only value him 20m plus adds on, they can just say no. The deal depends on how much we the buyer prepare to buy him.
I hope this is not off as we need someone quick , if we don't get him in we will be lacking in this area or if it is doesn't happen I hope another target lined up that we can get in quick time as I fear we will be lacking as I don't think Matic' legs are not good enough for him to be a regular starter anymore.

Camilo

If we only value him 20m plus adds on, they can just say no. Just like any other club can value Greenwood for 5m.
Aye, but if we actually want to sign him in the real world we have to bid closer to what they value him at. Nobody's doing anyone a favour here - Newcastle have a young player who they want to keep and we fancy that player - bid accordingly.. or don't.

GoldanoGraham

Don’t think that there is any way this is going to happen now that Brucey has taken the job - he’d be slaughtered by the toon fans for helping out his old club irrespective of the fee

If anything this could be a January transfer market buy as I reckon they are gonna be in all sorts of bother by then and Bruce will probably have been sacked by then.....Ashley might just decide to cash in at this point

Hawks2008

Gone very quiet so not sure this is still on this summer, but Newcastle have a good chance of being relegated. He gets a year of PL experience under his belt and move back for him when Ashley starts selling off any assets of value to make up for the loss in revenue it will be much easier to sign him.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We as fans are so desperate to get players in, we are prepared to go all out on a lad that 99% of us on here didn't know existed along with the rest of the prem. The worlds gone absolutely mad if we pay anything other than 10-15m for him and even then it's a massive gamble...
If you are in this imaginary 99%, then I’m not sure there’s any real basis to decide what he’s worth.

He played in the PL, not the SPL - it’s not impossible some have seen him. I created a thread praising him in the football forum last season well before these links, for example - and the general consensus from others in the thread was one of praise (alongside jokes about his name).

davidmichael

How similar is James Garner to Sean Longstaff ? Carrick is meant to rate Garner extremely highly and Garner is meant to be extremely Carrick’esque so wouldn’t it make sense to sign a different type of defensive midfielder and use Garner instead of signing Longstaff ?

If we are to sign Fernandes then we’ll need an out and out defensive midfielder that simply sits in front of the back four and breaks up play, how much would Declan Rice cost ? Long term with Rice and Garner as defensive midfield options we’d be set for years to come and could use them in a midfield two as well seeing as they’re different types of players.

Smores

If you are in this imaginary 99%, then I’m not sure there’s any real basis to decide what he’s worth.

He played in the PL, not the SPL - it’s not impossible some have seen him. I created a thread praising him in the football forum last season well before these links, for example - and the general consensus from others in the thread was one of praise (alongside jokes about his name).
We get a new thread everytime a youngster has a good game against a top team, it's hardly indicative of any kind of proper knowledge.

99% might be dramatic but I'd wager at least 75% have only seen 1 or 2 games of his.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
How similar is James Garner to Sean Longstaff ? Carrick is meant to rate Garner extremely highly and Garner is meant to be extremely Carrick’esque so wouldn’t it make sense to sign a different type of defensive midfielder and use Garner instead of signing Longstaff ?

If we are to sign Fernandes then we’ll need an out and out defensive midfielder that simply sits in front of the back four and breaks up play, how much would Declan Rice cost ? Long term with Rice and Garner as defensive midfield options we’d be set for years to come and could use them in a midfield two as well seeing as they’re different types of players.
Garner isn't ready, he is only 17

Classical Mechanic

Garner's natural position is the Carrick role. Longstaff has been more often used in an attacking role in his development. He's a better goalscorer than Garner. Longstaff was dropped into a deeper position by Benetiz last season and impressed.

From what Ole has been saying they don't feel that Garner is quite ready this season anyway.

davidmichael

Garner isn't ready, he is only 17
Longstaff is 19 and played 8-9 games so is he anymore ready ? At best Longstaff would be first choice back up to Matic. Don’t get me wrong I’ve heard and read rave reviews on Longstaff but is he £50 million good when Garner is there and practically the same player.

Garner's natural position is the Carrick role. Longstaff has been more often used in an attacking role in his development. He's a better goalscorer than Garner. Longstaff was dropped into a deeper position by Benetiz last season and impressed.

From what Ole has been saying they don't feel that Garner is quite ready this season anyway.
Then surely we bring Garner up to the first team seeing as there’s only 12-18 months between him and Longstaff in age and have Garner as the main back up to Matic ?

This is why I’d rather buy Rice as he’s a completely different type of player and a pure defensive midfielder with lots of mobility and stamina which is what’s needed to cover Pogba and also Fernandes if he’s signed, Garner and Rice could even play as a 2 going forward.

rotherham_red

Longstaff is 19 and played 8-9 games so is he anymore ready ? At best Longstaff would be first choice back up to Matic. Don’t get me wrong I’ve heard and read rave reviews on Longstaff but is he £50 million good when Garner is there and practically the same player.

Then surely we bring Garner up to the first team seeing as there’s only 12-18 months between him and Longstaff in age and have Garner as the main back up to Matic ?

This is why I’d rather buy Rice as he’s a completely different type of player and a pure defensive midfielder with lots of mobility and stamina which is what’s needed to cover Pogba and also Fernandes if he’s signed, Garner and Rice could even play as a 2 going forward.
Longstaff is 21, turning 22 in October, so almost 4 years older than Garner.

Tbh, I don't think we'll get him this summer, but will be one that is reignited either in January or next summer depending on how Newcastle go next season.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Longstaff is 21 and has player approx 70 competetive games at a seniorlevel. If lucky, Garner will be at the same stage of his carrier in two years time.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Yes by a long distance

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The more I think about it the more I want this signing. I think he has the makings of a class player in a better team. He has a great shot on him, he’s powerful and will roll the sleeves up. He also looks like a natural passer who can see spaces and runs well. The quoted price is madness though. That’s what the finished article should cost. I’d imagine it’ll be 30 going up to 40 with some mad clauses.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Bruce won't have much say in him staying or going if we make a serious play for him. I think once the Maguire deal is done, we'll switch attention to him IMO.

poleglass red

Garner is 18, Longstaff will be 22 in Oct. That's 4 yrs in difference. Garner is a terrific prospect, but you can tell just by looking at him he needs to fill out, he actually looks his age. Some younger players can get away with it due to their build, eg Rooney had a man's build when he was that age. If Longstaff does come it would need to be, to replace Matic who is too slow. His lack of experience in pl would of course be a concern, but he played 42 games last season for Blackpool.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Longstaff is 21, turning 22 in October. Garner is rated highly but at 17 as a holding midfielder, nobody can actually tell if he's ever even going to be premier league level let alone a starter at United. Longstaff is way ahead in the development.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Longstaff is 21, turning 22 in October. Garner is rated highly but at 17 as a holding midfielder, nobody can actually tell if he's ever even going to be premier league level let alone a starter at United. Longstaff is way ahead in the development.
I can't think of any defensive midfielders who were playing in that position before the age of 20 (about when Busquets broke through). Carrick had played a fair bit for West Ham but more advanced, Gareth Barry was a left back at that age etc. We really can't expect Garner to be a regular first team player until 2021/2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.