Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarrou

If Pogba stays as looks increasingly likely, I hope our centre midfield signing is Longstaff or someone similar. We definitely need a holding mid more than an attacking mid, in terms of team balance.

I think Matic can still do a job but needs to be rotated to be effective. We saw last season how much he struggles if played all the time.

haram

We are feeding news outlets about Longstaff, Bruno and SMS. We’re going to sign a midfielder.

Chairman Steve

Be interesting to see if there’s any significant movement with this, considering they’ve just bought Joelinton. I know it’s not a like for like replacement but it is a big money signing (club record too) for a club that really doesn’t have much. Have we promised them a good few million for Longstaff I wonder, and then allowed them to make purchases without that risk of inflated prices.

Dante

Average bang
We are feeding news outlets about Longstaff, Bruno and SMS. We’re going to sign a midfielder.
It's Porto related journalists who are leaking stories about Bruno and Lazio related journalists doing the same about SMS. Selling clubs will always want to hype up their own players. United haven't leaked anything on those two.

Where the Longstaff rumours are different, is that they're coming from both United and Newcastle mouthpieces.

I think we'll get Longstaff and Maguire (another player whose rumours are being parroted by United related reporters). There's no compelling case for any of the other stories to be true.

croadyman

I desperately want him to prove all the doubters wrong in our fanbase. Yes I know he isn't the big european name we all wanted but surely he deserves a chance.

NJM78

I seem to be in minority but this potential signing excites me about as much as having a root canal with no anesthetic.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
In terms of the type of player he profiles as, I think it's exactly what we need. In terms of actual level/potential he can play at, no clue. Basically Carrick type player is what we need IMO, someone capable of really intelligently being the holding player to shield the defence but offer good passing, creativity and control on the ball.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He will be a great signing I think, and I believe the deal will be done. The interest seems very real, and if we’ve decided to move on a player of this profile, you know that it’s more ‘personal’ to our people. A lot of scouting work would have gone into this one, and you don’t identify a left-field player like him as your #1 choice for defensive midfield and then walk away unless you are quoted £100m or something. It’s not a case of ‘we need a DM’ and we just went and put a thoughtless offer in for the flavour of the month in that role. If we get him, great, if not, we move on (he probably goes to another massive club). With Longstaff, he’s been marked too deliberately by the club I feel. He’s not the obvious choice, yet he’s our first choice. The team have clearly seen something. Ole won’t let it go until we get him. The money is a lot, but not prohibitively so in this market that we won’t negotiate from there.

Marcus

Newcastle just blew a club record GBP 40million on a striker. Longstaff on?

Hughes35

Saying on Talksport that Woodward is not leaving the UK so he can work on this and the Maguire.

Goes on to say that Newcastle are hopeful of 50 million but Utd think we can get up for under 30..... That's a huge bridge to gap. Surely cant strike a deal with such a big difference in valuation ?

Marcus

Even if they get 30 million, it would go some way to claw back the 40 million they already spent.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Saying on Talksport that Woodward is not leaving the UK so he can work on this and the Maguire.

Goes on to say that Newcastle are hopeful of 50 million but Utd think we can get up for under 30..... That's a huge bridge to gap. Surely cant strike a deal with such a big difference in valuation ?
£25m up front with a load of add ons adding up to £40m in total is my guess.

Hasn't he signed a deal recently though? Meaning they can ask for whatever they want.

Edy2

Paying up to 40 million for a lad with single figure appearances seems like a lot but as people are saying there must be something we are seeing in him. It's the way of the world at the moment, sadly. A Chelsea youngster also with barely any first team appearances can command 100 grand a week if we are to believe the media. Crazy stuff but I'm nonetheless happy we are targeting this profile of player whatever the cost.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Embarrassing. thomas partey's release clause is under £50m. We should be signing Partey, Lo Celso or Fernandes.
Yes because all 3 of those are similar players :houllier:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Paying 50m for a young midfielder who has barely feature in Premier league is a risk. Yes he can be next Carrick, but at the same time, he can also be the next Cleverley or Gibson, who was once highly rated youngster at the beginning with lots of talking and expectation too. In the end, its up to how much we rated him. If we rated him as the next Carrick, then go for him. If we have doubts, then just move on and get another one. We don't want another Fred situation here, another expensive gamble and mistake.

Jig1234

Are they similar to Longstaff?
Sean Longstaff is a CM that can play deeper in a DM position. But he lacks experience and he would be seen as a replacement for Matic most likely. A lot of pressure in a very important position.

Partey is 26. Ghanaian player of the year. Strong Defensive midfielder from Atletico. His release clause, age and experience make him a better fit for us imo.

We need a goal scoring midfielder. Bruno Fernandes can operate in a CM in the three man midfield. He scored 30 goals last season for Sporting.

I would forget about Maguire. and sign both Partey and Fernandes. 4-3-3 Pogba-Fernandes with Partey at DM. I think improving the midfield will make a bigger difference than spending 80M on Maguire who will have Matic protecting him. Our midfield does not control or win the midfield battles. This is the area I would focus on.

Alemar

I would forget about Maguire. and sign both Partey and Fernandes. 4-3-3 Pogba-Fernandes with Partey at DM.
It won't be enough. What we need is Partey, Bruno (other good CAM) AND Maguire to join with Pogba being kept - and even then we will still need a RW/RF very badly.

Say, Maguire 80m, Bruno 60m, Partey 44m (release clause), RF let's say 65m - a total of 240m.

Then, if all of the above are acquired, there we may sell Lukaku (70m), Andreas Pereira (20m), Darmian (5m) and any one of Bailly/Rojo/Jones (15-25m) to recoup quite a lot (110-120m). This way our net spend will be 240 + 45 (AWB) + 15 (James) - 110 = 190m, not much at all considering the problems we have - but we will then have all critical issues addressed and even disposed of some of fringe players.

Last edited:

Stubble

Sean Longstaff is a CM that can play deeper in a DM position. But he lacks experience and he would be seen as a replacement for Matic most likely. A lot of pressure in a very important position.

Partey is 26. Ghanaian player of the year. Strong Defensive midfielder from Atletico. His release clause, age and experience make him a better fit for us imo.

We need a goal scoring midfielder. Bruno Fernandes can operate in a CM in the three man midfield. He scored 30 goals last season for Sporting.

I would forget about Maguire. and sign both Partey and Fernandes. 4-3-3 Pogba-Fernandes with Partey at DM. I think improving the midfield will make a bigger difference than spending 80M on Maguire who will have Matic protecting him. Our midfield does not control or win the midfield battles. This is the area I would focus on.
Agree with this really - with Tuanzebe returning we can manage at CB just about but we surely can't go into the season without serious midfield reinforcements can we ? We were getting overrun in this area by mid-table teams regularly... Longstaff or Partey plus SMS or Bruno needed. If Tuanzebe steps up we could save £80 million if not address CB next window.. Problem is I think the club maybe think McT/Fred/Pereira are enough so 1 incoming MF max if that is guess..

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Embarrassing. thomas partey's release clause is under £50m. We should be signing Partey, Lo Celso or Fernandes.
Oh shullup. How can it be ‘embarrassing’ that we are pursuing the players that the manager wants, as opposed to 3 who you have decided we ‘should be signing’?!

Red_toad

That would be your opinion on what Ole is looking for in a player, without actually knowing what he wants. If he's looking at someone like Longstaff, why would he want a very much different player?

podurban2

Also we seem to want to bring in a British core, hence Longstaff and Maguire are the primary targets.

SteveW

I'm happy to let the guy who coaches and picks the team decide. Maybe Partey and Lo Celso dont fit in with what hes trying to do. It's hardly embarrassing.

SteveW

Agree with this really - with Tuanzebe returning we can manage at CB just about but we surely can't go into the season without serious midfield reinforcements can we ? We were getting overrun in this area by mid-table teams regularly... Longstaff or Partey plus SMS or Bruno needed. If Tuanzebe steps up we could save £80 million if not address CB next window.. Problem is I think the club maybe think McT/Fred/Pereira are enough so 1 incoming MF max if that is guess..
I'd be shocked if we dont sign a CM. Our best form last season was with Herrera, Matic and Pogba. Herrera gone and Matic looks on his last legs. We've no choice.

Alabaster Codify7

We need two midfielders really. Low quality there and not big numbers. A club of our stature should be getting Longstaff AND Thomas Party for what, 80m combined maximum? Matic can be backup with Fred,Scott and Pereira. Standard depth for a 'big club'.

Next summer goodbye Matic,bring in Garner

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We need two midfielders really. Low quality there and not big numbers. A club of our stature should be getting Longstaff AND Thomas Party for what, 80m combined maximum? Matic can be backup with Fred,Scott and Pereira. Standard depth for a 'big club'.

Next summer goodbye Matic,bring in Garner
A club of our stature ‘could’ get Longstaff and Partey. Any ‘should’ is largely contingent on our manager rating him as a player and being interested in the first place, and there’s no evidence that is the case with Partey. Otherwise, you may as well say that as we are a big club, we should be getting Longstaff and Granit Xhakha.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Would be the most exciting transfer for me if we can sign him. The potential to dictate from deep with his mobility and stamina levels would be something i'd love to see develop here.

I think he'll be a better player than the Caf darling Ruben Neves once he's surrounded by better players. Longstaff is already more mobile and has fantastic endurance levels in comparison.

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Would be the most exciting for me if we can sign him. The potential to dictate from deep with his mobility and stamina levels would be something i'd love to see develop here.

I think he'll be a better player than the Caf darling Ruben Neves once he's surrounded by better players. Longstaff is already more mobile and has fantastic endurance levels in comparison.
Agreed, Ruben Neves doesn't seem best suited to our league tbh. I think he'd thrive abroad.

passing-wind

I think 35 million will be the common ground. 30 upfront 5 in add ons ? Especially considering Hudson Odoi was targeted by Bayern at 40 million, im not really emphasising the difference in talent but the fundamental similarities in their appearances at the top level both relatively unproven but promising.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If some of you can look past the small sample size in the top flight, then you'll realize why Ole, Carrick and co seem to want to sign him. I've read countless posts over the last 12 months where posters have stated their preference for a ball playing #6 who will control games for us from a deep lying role which would in turn vastly improve our build up from deep and make us more potent on the counter. Longstaff fits the profile IMO.

I would've loved to have seen us sign Rodri but it seems the lure of playing under fellow Spaniard Guardiola was too much for him to choose us over them, especially in our current malaise.

Longstaff is someone that is displaying signs of developing into the play making #6 that many on here have been yearning for. I feel the potential transfer fee for him will look a bargain before the season is over. He can also play as the #8 if required which would give us more flexibility/balance in midfield.

Alabaster Codify7

Who is going to buy him with a year left? Should have sold him this year itself. Another deadwood we keep too long.
Then he goes for free. Goodbye to the oil tanker Nemanja Static either way. Maybe 1-2 years too late, but still. Par for the course for us. More likely is we give him a new contract this year til 2022 and a pay rise. Ole will say he's an intergral part of our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.