Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Would be the most exciting transfer for me if we can sign him. The potential to dictate from deep with his mobility and stamina levels would be something i'd love to see develop here.

I think he'll be a better player than the Caf darling Ruben Neves once he's surrounded by better players. Longstaff is already more mobile and has fantastic endurance levels in comparison.
It's anything but exciting mate.
Rooney as an 18 year old super hot wonder kid was exciting.

A guy with 9 Premier league starts who we've seen a few nice passes from on youtube, and has spent as long injured as playing last year is not exciting.
He may be good , but cannot be deemed exciting by a long chalk.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

A guy with 9 Premier league starts who we've seen a few nice passes from on youtube, and has spent as long injured as playing last year is not exciting.
Speak for yourself...

For me, the players potential is exciting for sure as a play making #6, even if the sample size is small.

Tarrou

I find it exciting

We've been crying out for a player in this mould since Carrick

Alemar

I find it exciting

We've been crying out for a player in this mould since Carrick
When we try to extend Pogba, what do you suggest to offer him - Paul, you will be playing alongside Fred and Longstaff, with Marcos Rojo and Jones in defence? I doubt it will work out well...

Tarrou

When we try to extend Pogba, what do you suggest to offer him - Paul, you will be playing alongside Fred and Longstaff, with Marcos Rojo and Jones in defence? I doubt it will work out well...
I'd tell him to feck off to Madrid personally

Quinzaine

I desperately want him to prove all the doubters wrong in our fanbase. Yes I know he isn't the big european name we all wanted but surely he deserves a chance.
What dictates whether or not a player deserves a chance? Sure, anyone that United sign should be given a chance to prove themselves but it's hard not to be pessimistic when we're looking at signing a 21 year old with 9 premier league appearances from Newcastle.

When you consider how much of a priority a central midfielder is for us I'm really unconvinced by our approach of going for unproven talent with questionable potential. Wan-Bissaka was the perfect signing for our right back position given his profile and the quality he showed over the course of last season, it's a shame we haven't followed through with the same principles when going for other targets.

With the size of our club, players like Longstaff and James should only be recruited in addition to first teamers who can make a difference straight away.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hey - it's exciting mate. :wenger:

They must have busted juice when we signed Van Persie and the likes.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'd tell him to feck off to Madrid personally
I agree.
Get Pogba the hell out, and put together Fred, McTom and Longstaff, and I cannot for a second see that not being good enough to secure top 12.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What dictates whether or not a player deserves a chance? Sure, anyone that United sign should be given a chance to prove themselves but it's hard not to be pessimistic when we're looking at signing a 21 year old with 9 premier league appearances from Newcastle.

When you consider how much of a priority a central midfielder is for us I'm really unconvinced by our approach of going for unproven talent with questionable potential. Wan-Bissaka was the perfect signing for our right back position given his profile and the quality he showed over the course of last season, it's a shame we haven't followed through with the same principles when going for other targets.

With the size of our club, players like Longstaff and James should only be recruited in addition to first teamers who can make a difference straight away.
I find it slightly mad, that people are getting excited about a guy who has played so few Premier games, and basically was understudy at Newcastle.

To expect him to come in and be a starter is a long shot. Let alone a game changer.
He "may" be excellent one day, but it's a bit optimistic to say the least.

Tarrou

I agree.
Get Pogba the hell out, and put together Fred, McTom and Longstaff, and I cannot for a second see that not being good enough to secure top 12.
ahaha sure, but Fred and McTom having nothing to do with Longstaff

he's a prospect at the end of the day, we don't need to pin all our eternal hopes and dreams on the lads shoulders

Quinzaine

I find it slightly mad, that people are getting excited about a guy who has played so few Premier games, and basically was understudy at Newcastle.

To expect him to come in and be a starter is a long shot. Let alone a game changer.
To me it's nothing but blind optimism. It's natural to look for as many positives as possible in a dire situation but there comes a point where we need to demand more as fans. The majority of us were hoping we'd sign 2 central midfielders this summer even before Herrera had decided to leave. With Herrera gone, the possibility of only recruiting one CM with such limited experience is for me a massive disappointment.

Should this deal go through and be our only midfield signing, we'd have managed to weaken our already very poor midfield from 18/19.

Godfather

To be honest it's only the usual suspects that are deluded enough to think he'll be all that from the get go. The same that thought James will.

A dissapointing signing considering the strengthening we need in the middle. That's what he would be.

Alemar

Why not just pin our hopes on Garner and add the 30 million on a top quality player
You only can put 17-year old in your starting XI in certain positions - particularly where mistakes are less costly (forward or CAM). To play as CDM, you need physique and experience - it only comes with time. There are no 17-year old CDMs in world football that play as starters for big clubs, it just doesn't happen.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
To me it's nothing but blind optimism. It's natural to look for as many positives as possible in a dire situation but there comes a point where we need to demand more as fans. The majority of us were hoping we'd sign 2 central midfielders this summer even before Herrera had decided to leave. With Herrera gone, the possibility of only recruiting one CM with such limited experience is for me a massive disappointment.

Should this deal go through and be our only midfield signing, we'd have managed to weaken our already very poor midfield from 18/19.
It is incredible that we've basically shipped Fellaini and Herrera, and like you say, not brought 2 players in.

Unless Fred suddenly awakens, and unless McTom has come on a real amount, then we're struggling massively in there.
Perreira has to be a backup, Matic like everyone is fearing is immobile. And we need 2 of these 4 to start a lot of games, unless we magic a signing.

But if that signing is Longstaff, is he actually ahead of that lot above? You can't expect a guy with 9 appearances in a season, to suddenly be starting 30-35 games.

Longstaff on youtube might have made a lot of nice passes, but that's youtube compilations!

I think Maguire's clips are a lot more telling, as there's way more, and you couldn't actually produce the same highlights from any of our defenders.
Could any of us imagine Rojo, Lindelöf or Smalling running with it, and beating players?!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
To be honest it's only the usual suspects that are deluded enough to think he'll be all that from the get go. The same that thought James will.

A dissapointing signing considering the strengthening we need in the middle. That's what he would be.
I think it could hit the "promising" signing category, like James.

But the big problem, is that he'd be coming in as the only midfielder signed. He needs to be lower down the radar than that, or the expectations will be too high.

Godfather

I think it could hit the "promising" signing category, like James.

But the big problem, is that he'd be coming in as the only midfielder signed. He needs to be lower down the radar than that, or the expectations will be too high.
Agreed

kirk buttercup

You only can put 17-year old in your starting XI in certain positions - particularly where mistakes are less costly (forward or CAM). To play as CDM, you need physique and experience - it only comes with time. There are no 17-year old CDMs in world football that play as starters for big clubs, it just doesn't happen.
I dont think Garner will be a starter next season obviously that will be left to Matic , Pogba, Fred ,Mata and Pereira ( read that selection again , not great is it ) but Longstaff wont be automatic starting 11 . Give garner time over the next few seasons he has alot of potential too imo

Irishman

Probably rubbish but someone on the Toon forum advised that Cal Roberts has been telling everyone that this deal has been done.

Alemar

Give garner time over the next few seasons he has alot of potential too imo
Absolutely, but it has nothing to do whatsoever with our immediate squad problems (i.e. lack of high calibre players in many positions - with CDM position being one of the most critical). I wholeheartedly support the idea of developing Garner, giving him minutes at easier fixtures, maybe even some starts at Europa League and League Cup - but we need new midfielders to come as STARTERS and play alongside Pogba, otherwise we simply lack quality in the middle.

Seven Seas Sardines

Ruben Neves was captaining Porto in the CL when he was 18 years and 221 days old.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Do you think Longstaff is ? I'm honestly asking this question . I dont think Longstaff will be a starter next season either
Yes, I believe Longstaff has shown against City and Chelsea that he would potentially start for us. He's more mobile than Matic with a better passing range and a bigger goal threat due to his shooting ability with either foot. He's also superior to Matic in closing down/pressing the opposition due to his ridiculous stamina levels.

George The Best

Do you think Longstaff is ? I'm honestly asking this question . I dont think Longstaff will be a starter next season either
Yes, he could be our next AWB. Garner isn’t ready, although he could be a great player in a couple of years. He needs to bulk up a bit as I think he’s too lightweight to play a season in the EPL at the moment. Hope he makes the squad and gets a few games, but I have my doubts he will make the 25 this season.

Brightonian

It is incredible that we've basically shipped Fellaini and Herrera, and like you say, not brought 2 players in.

Unless Fred suddenly awakens, and unless McTom has come on a real amount, then we're struggling massively in there.
Perreira has to be a backup, Matic like everyone is fearing is immobile. And we need 2 of these 4 to start a lot of games, unless we magic a signing.
I feel that McTominay is a good bet to replace Matic, and arguably Garner could then step into McTominay's shoes as back-up. It's the idea that Fred can fill Herrera's shoes which, as a massive Herrera fanboy, I find laughable. With McTominay and Garner stepping up in their various stages of development, I would have been happy with one big addition in midfield, but it needed/needs to be a seriously good signing. Someone to take responsibility for the midfield in games the way Herrera so often did.

George The Best

I feel that McTominay is a good bet to replace Matic, and arguably Garner could then step into McTominay's shoes as back-up. It's the idea that Fred can fill Herrera's shoes which, as a massive Herrera fanboy, I find laughable. With McTominay and Garner stepping up in their various stages of development, I would have been happy with one big addition in midfield, but it needed/needs to be a seriously good signing. Someone to take responsibility for the midfield in games the way Herrera so often did.
Herrera and Longstaff are completely different players and positions. Agree we need to replace Herrera but Longstaff isn’t the one. Longstaff is a switchable replacement for Matic.

Brightonian

Herrera and Longstaff are completely different players and positions. Agree we need to replace Herrera but Longstaff isn’t the one. Longstaff is a switchable replacement for Matic.
Yep, that's what I'm saying. A Herrera replacement needs to be someone significantly better/more proven and more box to box.

Davicho

If we are going to play 4-2-3-1 what we need are improvements on Matic and Lingard/Mata. We dont need a Herrera replacement, Fred and Mctominay could take his role in the squad.

George The Best

Yep, that's what I'm saying. A Herrera replacement needs to be someone significantly better/more proven and more box to box.
McTom is lined up for that role methinks. Ole is trying to fix the defensive side this window imo. If we concede 15/20 less goals we are in with a better than good shout of top 4. Get CL then next season we can have a real go in the market for attacking players. Keeping Pogba is key though.

Status
Not open for further replies.