Gaming Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Ainu

I'm now doing the Shura ending boss and I don't get why this fight isn't getting mentioned more often. Sword Saint, Owl (Father), Demon of Hatred, they're all trivially easy compared to this fight. It's by far the most gruelling battle I've ever seen in a FromSoft title, or any game for that matter. The first phases are brutal but mechanically fantastic but that last phase is a complete abomination. What is even going on? This is the only time I'm genuinely thinking they've crossed a line in terms of sadistic difficulty. There was really no need for that last phase. Even the hardest phases of Sword Saint at least make sense. This is... No. Just no. I'll get through it eventually and never even think about this fight again.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'm now doing the Shura ending boss and I don't get why this fight isn't getting mentioned more often. Sword Saint, Owl (Father), Demon of Hatred, they're all trivially easy compared to this fight. It's by far the most gruelling battle I've ever seen in a FromSoft title, or any game for that matter. The first phases are brutal but mechanically fantastic but that last phase is a complete abomination. What is even going on? This is the only time I'm genuinely thinking they've crossed a line in terms of sadistic difficulty. There was really no need for that last phase. Even the hardest phases of Sword Saint at least make sense. This is... No. Just no. I'll get through it eventually and never even think about this fight again.
It took me fecking ages. So I ended up just running around in big circles for the last stage and just safely hitting him when I could :lol:

Siorac

That fecking fire that covers the entire arena. I still can't figure out how I'm supposed to avoid that - sometimes I get lucky but that's it.

Ainu

It took me fecking ages. So I ended up just running around in big circles for the last stage and just safely hitting him when I could :lol:
But if you run away from him chances are he's going to do that arena covering fire bullshit. That's virtually an automatic death, i don't see how you can even do anything about it. In my latest run, I made it to that phase without wasting a resurrect and with almost all gourds, but a single attack like that and it was a losing battle from there on out. It looks like a "you lose" move and that's not something I appreciate at the end of such a difficult fight.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
But if you run away from him chances are he's going to do that arena covering fire bullshit. That's virtually an automatic death, i don't see how you can even do anything about it. In my latest run, I made it to that phase without wasting a resurrect and with almost all gourds, but a single attack like that and it was a losing battle from there on out. It looks like a "you lose" move and that's not something I appreciate at the end of such a difficult fight.
What choice did you make midway through the game (whether to betray your father I think)? That affects which final boss you get and how the rest of the game plays out (IIRC the boss you're fighting means you have done the slightly shorter version).

Ainu

What choice did you make midway through the game (whether to betray your father I think)? That affects which final boss you get and how the rest of the game plays out (IIRC the boss you're fighting means you have done the slightly shorter version).
I'm on NG+, did all other boss fights on NG (and USB saved my way to 3 endings). Anyway, just got the motherfecker. I looked it up, apparently I just needed to use firecrackers to interrupt the build-up to that fire attack. Once I did that, the third phase went from nightmarishly insane to completely manageable. I never use prothetics so I didn't even think of that. I don't like being "forced" to use a prosthetic but this fight really needed it. The first two phases were actually enjoyable once I got them down. That's all four endings and all bosses done. Completing the skill trees looks like it'll take fecking ages though.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It is frustratingly difficult. Only did it once and did it again on the rest my playthroughs. Personally I think with Sekiro From Software crossed the line in terms of difficulty. Sure it feels like an achievement to beat the game, but on my first run, I had to look up a guide/cheese for almost every miniboss/boss fight. It was far more frustrating than entertaining. I hope with Elden Ring they could back to Souls/bloodborne level difficulty with options for summons and Coop.

Ainu

It is frustratingly difficult. Only did it once and did it again on the rest my playthroughs. Personally I think with Sekiro From Software crossed the line in terms of difficulty. Sure it feels like an achievement to beat the game, but on my first run, I had to look up a guide/cheese for almost every miniboss/boss fight. It was far more frustrating than entertaining. I hope with Elden Ring they could back to Souls/bloodborne level difficulty with options for summons and Coop.
Looking back I actually liked the fight but it's just the bullshit fire move in the last phase that annoyed me. In general I didn't have to cheese anything or rely on tools and skills, so the difficulty is just about ok for me. I love the core combat but don't really care for all the different skills and prosthetics. The game as a whole suffers a bit from a lack of locations (you're basically going through Ashina Castle three times during a normal run) and some boss/mini-boss re-use. But still, excellent gameplay, I've really enjoyed my time with it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Started this game a week to 10 days back and it's just fantastic. I love Fromsoft games, they're all frickin brilliant, but so far I'm preferring the combat in this to any of their previous games and as a game this is, thus far, impressing me more than Bloodborne. Yes, the learning curve is steep but I'd say it's even more satisfying given the level of precision it demands from the player. I just beat Genchiro after feck knows how many attempts but that was one glorious boss fight. Brilliant.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Started this game a week to 10 days back and it's just fantastic. I love Fromsoft games, they're all frickin brilliant, but so far I'm preferring the combat in this to any of their previous games and as a game this is, thus far, impressing me more than Bloodborne. Yes, the learning curve is steep but I'd say it's even more satisfying given the level of precision it demands from the player. I just beat Genchiro after feck knows how many attempts but that was one glorious boss fight. Brilliant.
Genichiro was a bastard. Thought I’d beat him and then got decimated by his second form.

Agreed though, fantastic game.

Siorac

Yeah, Genichiro is the fight that forces you to learn the game or quit. It's a major roadblock on your first playthrough and a slight inconvenience once you have the rhythm down.

There is another fight later that is basically the advanced exam. You'll know it when you get there.

Gehrman

Its pretty awesome, but i dont think ive ever been as stressed out after beating a game like this one. I was literally shaking after i finally managed to bear the final boss after god knows how many tries. Personally i think Sekiro tilted the difficulty towards too hard. Still one of my favourite games though.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Its pretty awesome, but i dont think ive ever been as stressed out after beating a game like this one. I was literally shaking after i finally managed to bear the final boss after god knows how many tries. Personally i think Sekiro tilted the difficulty towards too hard. Still one of my favourite games though.
I disagree. The difficulty was perfect if you really get into the fighting style and change your ways from the souls games. The fact you had to look up cheeses for all the mini/bosses shows maybe it didn't ever fully click with you I guess? I mean the prosthetics are even there clearly to give people who aren't as into the fighting aspect the chance to still have fun and complete.

The only thing that annoyed me was the DS2 levels of enemy placement at times, and aimbot cheese. Other than that, I found it very fair overall for the most part. But then I did play souls with parry and online a lot, so maybe the skews my experience with it.

amolbhatia50k

Yeah, Genichiro is the fight that forces you to learn the game or quit. It's a major roadblock on your first playthrough and a slight inconvenience once you have the rhythm down.

There is another fight later that is basically the advanced exam. You'll know it when you get there.
*weeps*

amolbhatia50k

Genichiro was a bastard. Thought I’d beat him and then got decimated by his second form.

Agreed though, fantastic game.
I love how there are phases to a Souls boss.

1) Complete helplessness - boss just seems overwhelming difficult
2) Beginning to figure shit out - you've started to understand his moves with greater clarity but not well enough to beat him
3) That one time you managed to beat - you've got to grips with the boss, but he's clearly better than you so you keep trying till that one time you manage to beat him. Yaay

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I disagree. The difficulty was perfect if you really get into the fighting style and change your ways from the souls games. The fact you had to look up cheeses for all the mini/bosses shows maybe it didn't ever fully click with you I guess? I mean the prosthetics are even there clearly to give people who aren't as into the fighting aspect the chance to still have fun and complete.

The only thing that annoyed me was the DS2 levels of enemy placement at times, and aimbot cheese. Other than that, I found it very fair overall for the most part. But then I did play souls with parry and online a lot, so maybe the skews my experience with it.
Difficulty was perfect except for the last form of the last boss. That was silly.

amolbhatia50k

Probably, but that precision it demands is why the battles you win feel so good and well earned. I just saved the video of my beating Ginchero and.. could I be anymore Shinobi?!

But I do think I am dying way more per boss than DS or Bloodborne. Lady Butterfly took me ages too.

Gehrman

Well yeah im a newbie lvl bad at gaming. I couldnt never master the parry in DS either.

Redlambs

Well yeah im a newbie lvl bad at gaming. I couldnt never master the parry in DS either.
I highly doubt that if you beat Sekiro mate! Even looking at guides/cheesing you still have to work at it and perform.

I think for me the rush from achieving the wins was as close to the first time playing through DS1 as I'm likely to get with these games, which is why I guess I don't feel it was over the line. Also, again for the most part, I found the challenges to at least be fair and down to me to beat.

amolbhatia50k

Never parried in DS. In this, I don't think I parry every attack like the experts do, in this one. The quick flurries I just block whereas the other attacks with backlift I parry.

On Genchiro, the Mikiri counter was annoying the feck out of me. Eventually resorted to spamming circle for those moments instead.

Gehrman

I highly doubt that if you beat Sekiro mate! Even looking at guides/cheesing you still have to work at it and perform.

I think for me the rush from achieving the wins was as close to the first time playing through DS1 as I'm likely to get with these games, which is why I guess I don't feel it was over the line. Also, again for the most part, I found the challenges to at least be fair and down to me to beat.
Well im stubborn when it comes to completing good games. When it comes to fromsoftware games i always want beat every boss however I think with Sekiro i simply gave up. I gave up with Owl(memory), I think 1 or 2 minibosses towards the end and i just let the balrogboss commit suicide(which is the same as giving up). I might start a new playthrough since we are talking about it and see if I can beat the remaining bosses.

Siorac

I mean the prosthetics are even there clearly to give people who aren't as into the fighting aspect the chance to still have fun and complete
The prosthetics, however, are quite situational - they are far from the 'I win' button that, for example, magic was in the Souls games up until DS3.

I do think Sekiro is fair but it is the hardest FromSoft game simply because you have fewer options to deal with a fight, and you can't grind levels or find a stronger weapon.

Redlambs

The prosthetics, however, are quite situational - they are far from the 'I win' button that, for example, magic was in the Souls games up until DS3.
Yes, they are far better balanced and I like the mechanic much more than the DS magicks.

I do think Sekiro is fair but it is the hardest FromSoft game simply because you have fewer options to deal with a fight, and you can't grind levels or find a stronger weapon.
I simultaneously love the not being able to grind aspect (though only specifically in this game), whilst think the lack of weapons/armour really held the game back from topping the list above either DS 1 or 3 for me.

Jagga7

Amazing game, I really hope they make a 2nd. Although there is nothing confirmed yet!

amolbhatia50k

After feeling like a real badass after finally beating Genchiro the game promptly brought me back down to earth through mini boss and seven spear Uber cnut beating the feck out of me for fun.

Btw it's incredible just how much better this games combat is than that of Nioh's. The latter's sword combat wasn't bad but other aspects made me give up on it half way through. Fromsoft are on another level though. Brilliant brilliant combat. So far this is better than anything they've done before.

amolbhatia50k

So I've not been enhancing me attack power as I thought confronting a memory meant fighting the boss again. So having beaten Genchiro am I not under levelled? That's one shit mechanic. I've missed a good 4-5 opportunities to strengthen my attac ffs

amolbhatia50k

Given I'm under levelled now, will start over. Facing Lady Butterfly and Genchiro again. Sigh..

amolbhatia50k

Wait, refresh my memory...why do you need to restart? Why can't you just go use the memories now?
Only Genchiro is appearing there now not the other two. Seems you can only use the memory of the last boss beaten

amolbhatia50k

Seriously?

I could have sworn you could just store these up.
Apparently not. Just one appears and you can't use the older ones. Its' such a strange system. Have started a new game :(

Redlambs

Seriously?

I could have sworn you could just store these up.
Apparently not. Just one appears and you can't use the older ones. Its' such a strange system. Have started a new game :(
Yeah that's odd. I'm pretty sure I didn't know about them until half way through my first run, so either they changed it or I was under levelled too :lol:

But that's a very weird design choice.

amolbhatia50k

Yeah that's odd. I'm pretty sure I didn't know about them until half way through my first run, so either they changed it or I was under levelled too :lol:

I was pretty delighted that I had reached where I was a bit under levelled and could now level up big time (well, 3 times) for the rest of the game only to find that I could only do once.

amolbhatia50k

Okay so I just checked my attack power and it's gone from 1-4. That means I've gotten a point boost for each main boss I've killed (Lady, Gyoubu and Genchiro). So that means my attack power is the most it could possible be right?

Ainu

Okay so I just checked my attack power and it's gone from 1-4. That means I've gotten a point boost for each main boss I've killed (Lady, Gyoubu and Genchiro). So that means my attack power is the most it could possible be right?
I think you could just do them all at once and not lose any. It's been a while but it never seemed an issue for me. You're probably fine to continue.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Dived back into the game a week or so ago and had a go at that boss rush type mode they introduced. Still one of the most satisfying games I've played. When you've really mastered the gameplay, there's nothing quite like it.

The game is excellent apart from that damn Demon of Hatred boss. Easily the most difficult part of getting the Platinum for me (apart from the ridiculous skill tree grind). It just doesn't feel like it belongs in this game. It's the one boss that really stands out, but not in a good way. I think i died more to this boss than all the other bosses combined. Still, superb game.

Ainu

Dived back into the game a week or so ago and had a go at that boss rush type mode they introduced. Still one of the most satisfying games I've played. When you've really mastered the gameplay, there's nothing quite like it.

The game is excellent apart from that damn Demon of Hatred boss. Easily the most difficult part of getting the Platinum for me (apart from the ridiculous skill tree grind). It just doesn't feel like it belongs in this game. It's the one boss that really stands out, but not in a good way. I think i died more to this boss than all the other bosses combined. Still, superb game.
The annoying thing about Demon of Hatred is you have to forget everything you've learned about Sekiro and fight the thing as if it's a Bloodborne boss (which it clearly is, just in the wrong game). As a result, it's by far the most dragged out boss encounter of the entire game.