Gaming Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Keep bouncing.

Dammit, now you guys are making me want to play again!
:lol:
I actually played through it before, but actually gave up at the last boss. This thread made me start another playthrough.

Just as brilliant as the first time.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
It's not as hard as it's made out to be. Highly recommend it.
I just don't think I have the time unfortunately. My PS4 is practically a dust collector at this point.
Have you played a Soulsborne game before? If a game being extremely challenging/not hand holding doesn't bother you then go for it. It's brilliant.

I remember there were a lot of comparisons between this and Ghosts of Tsushima, and I know they're very difficult games, but in terms of quality of the experience, it's not even remotely close. Ghosts was a very good game. Sekiro based on the amount I've played, is special and FromSofts best game.
Never played a Soulsborne game before, so I'm a novice in that sense regarding this particular genre (of game).

If I ever do pick this up I don't want to get the feeling that I would want to throw my controller at the screen, which by all accounts looks like the type of game that would pull me over the edge.:D
Again, visually and its general world design is straight up my street ,though Tsushima looks equally gorgeous and likely a much more calming experience in- comparison.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Never played a Soulsborne game before, so I'm a novice in that sense regarding this particular genre (of game).

If I ever do pick this up I don't want to get the feeling that I would want to throw my controller at the screen, which by all accounts looks like the type of game that would pull me over the edge.:D
Again, visually and its general world design is straight up my street ,though Tsushima looks equally gorgeous and likely a much more calming experience in- comparison.
Oh you absolutely will :)

The key in these games is to accept death and tries as being a method to improve and learn more about your opponent. But not feeling annoyed or affected is easier said than done. Becuase the combat is the way it is, one can't help but feel the adrenaline and hence annoyance after. I've played all of Fromsoft games and that feeling is definitely a part of each one.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

The key in these games is to accept death and tries as being a method to improve and learn more about your opponent. But not feeling annoyed or affected is easier said than done. Because the combat is the way it is, one can't help but feel the adrenaline and hence annoyance after. I've played all of Fromsoft games and that feeling is definitely a part of each one.
Is there a Easy option ? :D

It's likely a no from me then. I'll just continue watching walkthroughs on YT.

Siorac

Start with Dark Souls 1 (or the Demon's Souls remake if you have a PS5) instead of Sekiro and pick Sorcerer as your starting class. Look up how to get more spells and boom, you've unlocked easy mode. Magic is obscenely broken.

In Sekiro, the only difficulty-modifying option (playing without Kuro's charm) is there to make the game harder.

amolbhatia50k

It's likely a no from me then. I'll just continue watching walkthroughs on YT.
Haha, that's been a hot topic of debate.

I really would recommend these games. I know they are stress inducing but in terms of pure combat gameplay and satisfaction, they're incredible. I'll give you an example, for one of the major bosses in Sekiro, immediately as I faced him for the first time I knew this was going to take time. So my objective wasn't initially to beat him but to improve against him. So SoulsBorne games often have a second phase to a boss (or even a third!) so my first objective was to get to the second phase, then it would be to get through the first easily and so on. So not having beaten in one sitting is less of an issue when you know you've made genuine progress and gone from a rabbit in the headlights to someone in a real contest.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I just don't think I have the time unfortunately. My PS4 is practically a dust collector at this point.

Actually the combat in GOT is like a souls-lite so could get you used to it before you even think about trying Sekiro. At a push, for the setting with a game that might frustrate you less, Nioh might be more suitable as on that you can grind and make yourself as powerful as you like which kind of gives you an easier mode.

Sekiro does have some tools that you can use on bosses/some enemies to make them easier, but you still have to work to both get them and learn how to use them. There's no shortcut to that, or over powering yourself.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

The key in these games is to accept death and tries as being a method to improve and learn more about your opponent. But not feeling annoyed or affected is easier said than done. Becuase the combat is the way it is, one can't help but feel the adrenaline and hence annoyance after. I've played all of Fromsoft games and that feeling is definitely a part of each one.
Yeah this is definitely the most controller throwing game of the generation (unless you cant playing Tekken online). Not that it's unfair, but it's just very unforgiving.

Ainu

The advice I'd give anyone who's on the fence about playing these games would be to just go ahead and try it out. See if you can find it at a reduced price somewhere. No point thinking too much about it, anticipating frustration or whatever. Go for it, you might be surprised how well it clicks for you. And maybe it doesn't click, but at least you'll know. It's a brilliant game and if you're even a little bit interested, it would be a shame to miss out just because you think it'll be too hard.

amolbhatia50k

Actually the combat in GOT is like a souls-lite so could get you used to it before you even think about trying Sekiro. At a push, for the setting with a game that might frustrate you less, Nioh might be more suitable as on that you can grind and make yourself as powerful as you like which kind of gives you an easier mode.

Sekiro does have some tools that you can use on bosses/some enemies to make them easier, but you still have to work to both get them and learn how to use them. There's no shortcut to that, or over powering yourself.
Is grinding in Nioh easy or extremely long winded? The general gameplay in Nioh was good but the bosses were absolute trash. Wouldn't mind going back to it if the bosses werent such a chore. Given the ps plus line up this month im clearly desperate :lol: Or maybe I'll just something instead.

Redlambs

Is grinding in Nioh easy or extremely long winded? The general gameplay in Nioh was good but the bosses were absolute trash. Wouldn't mind going back to it if the bosses werent such a chore. Given the ps plus line up this month im clearly desperate :lol: Or maybe I'll just something instead.
I'm not sure I remember many at all :lol: But the grinding isn't particularly long winded, that being said I deliberately stay a bit under levelled in these games so I'm not the best person to ask.

If you are after a souls type kick, I highly recommend The Surge which you can get dirt cheap (I think 2 is on the gamepass, but that's all well and good until it's not ;))

caid

My advice would be to start with bloodbourne, which isn't that hard. Everyone should at least try them because they are fantastic games.
I'm on Genichiro in Sekiro. Just fought him once, didn't seem too bad.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Omg I beat Genichiro on my 2nd attempt, I have the world's biggest E-boner.

Such a fantastic fight.

amolbhatia50k

My advice would be to start with bloodbourne, which isn't that hard. Everyone should at least try them because they are fantastic games.
I'm on Genichiro in Sekiro. Just fought him once, didn't seem too bad.
I agree. Bloodborne was the least anger inducing of the Fromsoft games for me as well.

Siorac

Omg I beat Genichiro on my 2nd attempt, I have the world's biggest E-boner.

Such a fantastic fight.
I also beat him on my second attempt back then.

Well, if you don't count the previous two dozen attempts. But why would you?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I also beat him on my second attempt back then.

Well, if you don't count the previous two dozen attempts. But why would you?
:nervous:
Snake Eyes what's his face killed me about 20 times right after. Stupid game.

amolbhatia50k

I played through the game on launch mind you, so not first time ever. Still, after dying 400 times to lady butterfly I felt bad.
Lady butterfly was a pain.

I was underlevelled for Genchiro. Didn't confront my previous memories. But there would have been only two and definitely couldn't beat him in less than 10 attempts even with them
The one on the hill around which they keep shooting you? Killed me a lot too. For that one I'd keep blocking and then try to parry hits strikes, as you never know when he'll shoot you. And stay close to him running away when he does his unblockable. I wish they'd give some happy downtime after a terribly difficult boss :lol:

Ainu

Which one? I remember there was one in a rocky area outside and another in a big cave with a bunch of other enemies. That second one was horrible, fighting it alone is bad enough but it seemed almost impossible not to aggro the other guys. Took me a lot of tries and even on my second run I had trouble with it.

Siorac

Which one? I remember there was one in a rocky area outside and another in a big cave with a bunch of other enemies. That second one was horrible, fighting it alone is bad enough but it seemed almost impossible not to aggro the other guys. Took me a lot of tries and even on my second run I had trouble with it.
I cheesed her on my first playthrough: aggro her, lure her into poison and then get up top on one of those statues. Find an angle at which they can't shoot you. She will get poisoned and die eventually.

Also, if you have the Sabimaru, then you can just laugh at them and finish them off in a few seconds.

Ainu

I cheesed her on my first playthrough: aggro her, lure her into poison and then get up top on one of those statues. Find an angle at which they can't shoot you. She will get poisoned and die eventually.

Also, if you have the Sabimaru, then you can just laugh at them and finish them off in a few seconds.
I might've actually used the poison strategy on my first playthrough as well. :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I found that dodging the snake eyes and baiting his throw or 3 hit combo then thrusting was a safe, though rather slow way of killing him (or her? Sounds like a woman). I'm already dreading the ape, which I think is close now.

amolbhatia50k

I thought Snake Eyes was a dude?

I just killed the woman who misses some dude in Mibu Forest. Pretty easy. Bet a mindblowingly difficult boss comes next.

amolbhatia50k

I found that dodging the snake eyes and baiting his throw or 3 hit combo then thrusting was a safe, though rather slow way of killing him (or her? Sounds like a woman). I'm already dreading the ape, which I think is close now.
Good luck, you'll need it :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The cheese is real.

I of course, never cheese. Ever. Naturally.
The stupid ninja in hirata estate killed me 50.000 times so at some point I aggrod him, jumped back off the cliff went back up and backstabbed him while he was returning to his spot. If anyone asks, I defeated him in epic and fair single combat.

Ainu

The stupid ninja in hirata estate killed me 50.000 times so at some point I aggrod him, jumped back off the cliff went back up and backstabbed him while he was returning to his spot. If anyone asks, I defeated him in epic and fair single combat.
Spoken like a true shinobi.

amolbhatia50k

I nearly got him at the third try, but now I have somehow lost the ability to avoid his dumb terror move. Arsehole ape.
Don't worry. You're pretty brilliant at this game. I spend the first 10 attempts of every boss getting slaughtered by most main bosses. Except the horse dude, I found that simple.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Don't worry. You're pretty brilliant at this game. I spend the first 10 attempts of every boss getting slaughtered by most main bosses. Except the horse dude, I found that simple.
You must have missed the fact I said I played through it at launch :lol:

Im wildly average, seeing as I vaguely remember his moves and still get wrecked. My first playthrough I didnt see the 2nd phase before my 30th try I think.

Siorac

I thought Snake Eyes was a dude?

I just killed the woman who misses some dude in Mibu Forest. Pretty easy. Bet a mindblowingly difficult boss comes next.
Nope, they are explicitly referred to as warrior women.

amolbhatia50k

You must have missed the fact I said I played through it at launch :lol:

Im wildly average, seeing as I vaguely remember his moves and still get wrecked. My first playthrough I didnt see the 2nd phase before my 30th try I think.
I suddenly like you so much more

caid

I seemed to be progressing at a similar rate to you up to this point. I've been in Senpou Temple and haven't run into Snake Eyes or any Apes. Think i've cleared out most of it. Only thing left to do is ring a bell on a desk nearby which i'm guessing will be the boss.

amolbhatia50k

The ghost corrupted monk was surprisingly easy. I thought I was in for a long haul but I got my deflects just right and a few mortal strikes over and above that were enough to take him down.

Gosh I do love this game. Combat is even more satisfying than the Souls games.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
What's a good time to start killing headless. I just killed the ape and have enough pacifying agents and confetti but man they kill me hard..

Redlambs

You arseholes are really trying to get me back in aren't you.

Funny thing is, unlike the souls games, I've only gone through this once and have played so many soulsborne style games since I can't remember much at all about this one when I sit and try to think of how much of a mission it will be to go through. It's just bits and pieces. Well apart from how to get to the giant snake and kill it :lol:

Moby

Dick
I'm probably gonna think twice about giving this a go if a god gamer like you found it hard. :lol:

Siorac

I'm probably gonna think twice about giving this a go if a god gamer like you found it hard. :lol:
I'm shit at games and managed to get all achievements on this one. It's hard at first but doesn't demand anything impossible.

Redlambs

Oh and for those playing on PC or thinking about it, remember there is a very decent and easy to use mod that unlocks the proper fps and hz for your monitor. Makes it a far better and smoother game.

I'm not sure if they ever fixed it in their engine, but probably not. It's FROM.