Gaming Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What's a good time to start killing headless. I just killed the ape and have enough pacifying agents and confetti but man they kill me hard..
I got the purple umbrella for killing my first headless (Ashina outskirts). If you can get that, you're strong enough to kill him after the Ape.

amolbhatia50k

I'm probably gonna think twice about giving this a go if a god gamer like you found it hard. :lol:
It's bloody hard. But you slowly but surely figure bosses out. Reaching that stage is time-consuming, for me at least. I think the mini bosses are as good as any aspect of the game.

Feel like I'm entering the last phase of this. Actually don't want it to end, had such a blast with it. Although I really liked Bloodborne I was pretty done with it once I hit the final stages of the game.

Ainu

I'm probably gonna think twice about giving this a go if a god gamer like you found it hard. :lol:
I did say in the Hollow Knight thread that the Pantheon of Hallownest was the hardest thing I've ever done in a video game and nothing else was close. :) So you can take comfort in the fact that I found Sekiro a lot easier than that. And I'm clearly not a god gamer, I wasn't insane enough to try the Pantheon with bindings, that takes a true god gamer!

amolbhatia50k

Making my way back to Ashina Castle and those two ninjas called Lone something seemed brutal on first try. Bloody hell.

kps88

Started again after giving up the first time. I'm enjoying it but stuck on Lady Butterfly (I always die just as I'm about to get her) and the fire bull (haven't even come close). Think I might have to grind and upgrade a bit.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Started again after giving up the first time. I'm enjoying it but stuck on Lady Butterfly (I always die just as I'm about to get her) and the fire bull (haven't even come close). Think I might have to grind and upgrade a bit.
The Bull just past the first boss? Get him up to the top right corner, let him hit a wall and wail away. Failing that, the prosthetic (gunpowder one iirc) works very well.

amolbhatia50k

The only boss I resorted to cheesing. Dash to the left hit twice, rise and repeat.

Bull, I actually simply beat by parrying.

amolbhatia50k

feck yeah, got the Owl. Challenging but really fun boss. Was very close in the end, had to use a few items in the nick of time that got me a cross the line. Awesome.

dinostar77

This was the first From Software game i never finished. Gorilla boss phase 2 annoyed me so much i put it down and never went back.

amolbhatia50k

This was the first From Software game i never finished. Gorilla boss phase 2 annoyed me so much i put it down and never went back.
I found Phase 2 easier than phase 1. If you ever go back, the spear makes it fairly easy. Difference prosthetics work against different kind of bosses but the headless ape is one i don't think they explain anywhere in the game whereas others they do (fire and firecrackers against beasts, umbrella and divine confetti against fear/apparitions, etc )

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I love how hard, but fair this game is. When you just get to him, the guardian ape is an absolute shitbag, but now that I know how to fught him, I can consistently beat him without taken significant damage.

amolbhatia50k

I took down all the headless' which was fun. But sadly I had to resort to a bit of cheese for the final stage of the corrupted monk. First two stages I got to grips with pretty well. Only the second boss I had to do it for. I feel all dirty :lol

Given how much I've loved this game, definitely will go for a second playthrough at some point. Hopefully I'll be able to get through all of it then without any cheese :(

amolbhatia50k

I love how hard, but fair this game is. When you just get to him, the guardian ape is an absolute shitbag, but now that I know how to fught him, I can consistently beat him without taken significant damage.
Yup, he was smashing me to pieces for the longest time. But eventually I got a hang of his moveset. Terrific boss IMO.

caid

Guardian ape is so much easier when you know about the spear counter. Pity it isn't signposted a bit better. Trying to do damage to him in that 2nd phase without it is a bit of a nightmare.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Guardian ape is so much easier when you know about the spear counter. Pity it isn't signposted a bit better. Trying to do damage to him in that 2nd phase without it is a bit of a nightmare.
Spear what now? :lol:

Redlambs

I took down all the headless' which was fun. But sadly I had to resort to a bit of cheese for the final stage of the corrupted monk. First two stages I got to grips with pretty well. Only the second boss I had to do it for. I feel all dirty :lol

Given how much I've loved this game, definitely will go for a second playthrough at some point. Hopefully I'll be able to get through all of it then without any cheese :(
I'm playing through again now. feck you all. But I will say wait as long as you possibly can as I haven't played since clearing it on launch, and although I can play properly (took a bar off Geni on the tutorial, haven't died up until the chained dude (more on that later) and whooped both Gyobu and Drunkard first time without a cheese between them, it feels so fresh again and like I'm going to be challenged again.

The downside is not only do I barely remember anything, but I am annoyed all over again at the fecking terrible A.I and aimbotting. The drop kick aimbot spin was a major gripe I don't feel like I moaned about enough in here :lol: But in all seriousness, I think the counter system would actually have worked better if there wasn't aimbot, just a more believable stuttered timing to attacks.

Like all From games, I'm really enjoying it again. Although I still don't think it matches up to the first time you play DS1 nor the shear variation in DS3, I think it's such a great spin off type game. I think of it like Bloodborne, something they did different and whether or not better/worse, still leagues above anything else from any other developer.

I'd love a sequel which doesn't touch the combat pace/style at all, just adds a bit more mystery (they spelled out way to much in this), and also way more rpg depth. I mean at least give us a spear, Samurai armour types and a mount, proper Samurai used those all way more than ninja stars and swordplay.

I didn't know about that when I fecked it up either :lol:

amolbhatia50k

I'm playing through again now. feck you all. But I will say wait as long as you possibly can as I haven't played since clearing it on launch, and although I can play properly (took a bar off Geni on the tutorial, haven't died up until the chained dude (more on that later) and whooped both Gyobu and Drunkard first time without a cheese between them, it feels so fresh again and like I'm going to be challenged again.

The downside is not only do I barely remember anything, but I am annoyed all over again at the fecking terrible A.I and aimbotting. The drop kick aimbot spin was a major gripe I don't feel like I moaned about enough in here :lol: But in all seriousness, I think the counter system would actually have worked better if there wasn't aimbot, just a more believable stuttered timing to attacks.

Like all From games, I'm really enjoying it again. Although I still don't think it matches up to the first time you play DS1 nor the shear variation in DS3, I think it's such a great spin off type game. I think of it like Bloodborne, something they did different and whether or not better/worse, still leagues above anything else from any other developer.

I'd love a sequel which doesn't touch the combat pace/style at all, just adds a bit more mystery (they spelled out way to much in this), and also way more rpg depth. I mean at least give us a spear, Samurai armour types and a mount, proper Samurai used those all way more than ninja stars and swordplay.

I didn't know about that when I fecked it up either :lol:
I'm absolutely floored by it personally. Love fromsoft games but I've never been as enthralled by one as I have been as this. But I'm afraid I'm going to have to resort to cheesing in the final boss too given how people talk about it here. Sigh

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I died on Owl so many times the first go around, I rembered him well. Only took a few tries.

The corrupted monk was a bit of a hassle though. Such a long fight.

Redlambs

I'm absolutely floored by it personally. Love fromsoft games but I've never been as enthralled by one as I have been as this. But I'm afraid I'm going to have to resort to cheesing in the final boss too given how people talk about it here. Sigh
You've cheesed others, admit it. You've at least been watching YouTube tutorials, I know because none of us who played it in here on launch knew the spear thing for example :lol:

I'm kidding though, absolutely no shame in that mate, genuinely, some of the bosses really mix things up and it's fair game as far as I'm concerned. That's an actual strength of the game.

I think it comes down to raw experience. For example, one of my best ever moments in gaming was seeing Ano Londor for the first time and finally beating Smough and Ornstein after about 50million times. I did it all with no Internet help or overlevelling, just pure rage and helplessness. Don't get me wrong, I only jest when I mock people for looking at videos and all that, it's a part of gaming now and one that is necessary and I even watch them all the time myself, but that pure feeling of DS1 milestones was and will always be unmatched. I just feel a little bad that people are now overexposed to moments that should be genuinely thrills.

As a game, Sekiro is a proper gem and one which I enjoyed a lot and am right now. I just think they should have broken out of the Dark Souls engine and issues that come with it and not completely done away with the choices. After all, it really does fall into the DS2 traps way more than it should, for example.

Which is what worries me about the Elden Ring. As much as it's undoubtedly going to be a great game, it still looks the same engine with the same basic ideas. However and I'll stress again, that's coming from a super high level. I mean even when we say DS2 is poor, that's only poor on a level waaaaay above anything else :lol:

Moby

Dick
I did say in the Hollow Knight thread that the Pantheon of Hallownest was the hardest thing I've ever done in a video game and nothing else was close. :) So you can take comfort in the fact that I found Sekiro a lot easier than that. And I'm clearly not a god gamer, I wasn't insane enough to try the Pantheon with bindings, that takes a true god gamer!
Yeah this kinda reads like the Hollow Knight thread with people talking about their experiences about bosses. Although I doubt any game devs will ever feck with players like they did with Path of Pain. :lol:

And the fact that you can actually say the words 'I did pantheon of hallownest' is enough to put you in very esteemed company.

Good to know it is easier than HK and yeah it did look from the videos that bosses were kinda learnable. Still probably needs a bit of time for that so I'll probably hit this when I'm feeling like doing something with challenging combat again.

caid

If you deflect a couple of attacks he tends to react with an overhead 2 handed vertical attack - if you deflect that it opens him up to a deathblow type attack with the spear, you basically jam it in his neck, pull out weird centipede thing and it takes off 1/3 to 1/4 of his health.
Pretty sure someone in this thread mentioned the spear being good against him and I basically stumbled across it by mistake. (fire crackers make first phase pretty easy too)

Redlambs

Yeah this kinda reads like the Hollow Knight thread with people talking about their experiences about bosses. Although I doubt any game devs will ever feck with players like they did with Path of Pain. :lol:

And the fact that you can actually say the words 'I did pantheon of hallownest' is enough to put you in very esteemed company.

Good to know it is easier than HK and yeah it did look from the videos that bosses were kinda learnable. Still probably needs a bit of time for that so I'll probably hit this when I'm feeling like doing something with challenging combat again.
Hollow Knight is very similar in that muscle memory plays a huge part, but yeah Sekiro isn't as challenging in many ways. More so in some though (like movement).

Oh and has anyone else completely changed the button layout? I've just gone past butterfly/bull and decided to completely redo the buttons. It will be painful but worth it. No idea how I played through the game with default without being completely annoyed with the layout. I might be getting old though, might need some of those xbox fanboy crutches (i.e the stupid paddles) to try to get an advantage :(

caid

Hollow Knight is very similar in that muscle memory plays a huge part, but yeah Sekiro isn't as challenging in many ways. More so in some though (like movement).

Oh and has anyone else completely changed the button layout? I've just gone past butterfly/bull and decided to completely redo the buttons. It will be painful but worth it. No idea how I played through the game with default without being completely annoyed with the layout. I might be getting old though, might need some of those xbox fanboy crutches (i.e the stupid paddles) to try to get an advantage :(
No but i turn every game vaguely close to a fromsoftware game to this same binding because ill never get rid of the muscle memory of dodge being circle. Games where you cant change it (nintendo :mad:) i basically accept that im never going to get it right.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So, back at Isshin, the point I gave up the first time.

I remember why...:houllier:

amolbhatia50k

You've cheesed others, admit it. You've at least watching YouTube tutorials, I know because none of us who played it in here on launch knew the spear thing for example :lol:

I'm kidding though, absolutely no shame in that mate, genuinely, some of the bosses really mix things up and it's fair game as far as I'm concerned. That's an actual strength of the game.

I think it comes down to raw experience. For example, one of my best ever moments in gaming was seeing Ano Londor for the first time and finally beating Smough and Ornstein after about 50million times. I did it all with no Internet help or overlevelling, just pure rage and helplessness. Don't get me wrong, I only jest when I mock people for looking at videos and all that, it's a part of gaming now and one that is necessary and I even watch them all the time myself, but that pure feeling of DS1 milestones was and will always be unmatched. I just feel a little bad that people are now overexposed to moments that should be genuinely thrills.
Oh absolutely. I have no shame in admitting that I have now become the kind of gamer that loves games that make you think but also one who will sometimes look things up. Games that are unique and interesting rather than a functional chore are usually my favourite ones, however, they do tend to be the more challenging ones and with work, family etc I'm happy to bite the bullet and look up strategies if I'm at a complete loss, to speeden things up. For example, Outer Wilds is IMO one of the games of the generation and probably in my top 10 of all time, and I definitely had to read up on how to get past those fish things that swallow you up if you make noise. No shame in it, I spent ages trying to do it on my own. And I understand that the genuine thrill is lost, but in 20/30/40/50 hour experiences, there are enough other moments of genuine thrill, not to mention you can feel thrill even if you use a spear on a boss :D

caid

I've just reached Mibu Village. Haven't been playing as much last few days as ive become completely addicted to Dorfromantic

Siorac

They say Miyazaki hates sequels though. Like, he never really wanted to do Dark Souls 2 or 3 either, he always wants to work on something new.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Ok i can consitently get to spear and sword Isshin, but uff he's hard..

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Reached his final super saiyan form a few times now. I will beat this fecker grrr.