Gaming Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The annoying thing about Demon of Hatred is you have to forget everything you've learned about Sekiro and fight the thing as if it's a Bloodborne boss (which it clearly is, just in the wrong game). As a result, it's by far the most dragged out boss encounter of the entire game.
It is 100% a Bloodborne boss, yeah. And it comes towards the end of the game and, as you said, it trips you up because it's unlike any other boss that came before it. The only one big negative of the game for me.

Ainu

It is 100% a Bloodborne boss, yeah. And it comes towards the end of the game and, as you said, it trips you up because it's unlike any other boss that came before it. The only one big negative of the game for me.
Yup, I found you can beat it incredibly consistently if you keep your distance, play ultra defensive, try to bait his few punishable attacks from mid- to long-range and never try to parry. In other words, the complete opposite of how you're supposed to play the rest of the game. :lol:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Ugh, cheese strategies. That is just the worst. :lol:
Demon took me ages - I agree with what others have said it just felt out of place and I didn’t find it a fun fight at all.

Think Owl was my toughest fight (the fight in the area where you fought Lady Butterfly).

Ainu

Demon took me ages - I agree with what others have said it just felt out of place and I didn’t find it a fun fight at all.

Think Owl was my toughest fight (the fight in the area where you fought Lady Butterfly).
That was my favourite fight of the entire game. Tough as nails but so good.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So after Genchiro I've cleared Ashima reserved and the two mini bosses there and also that Mt Kobo place. Not sure what to do now? I've got two mini bosses I could take on in the headless chap or the one with those blue fear instilling magic balls, but I think both require that divine something which I haven't got a merchant for.

Where should I be headed next? No obvious place I noticed?

Siorac

So after Genchiro I've cleared Ashima reserved and the two mini bosses there and also that Mt Kobo place. Not sure what to do now? I've got two mini bosses I could take on in the headless chap or the one with those blue fear instilling magic balls, but I think both require that divine something which I haven't got a merchant for.

Where should I be headed next? No obvious place I noticed?
Have you fought monkeys and got a fancy new blade out of it?

Woodzy

Ah feck, I wanna play this again now.

Great game but never beat the final boss.

amolbhatia50k

Have you fought monkeys and got a fancy new blade out of it?
I just got to that fight. The whole meet fellow who names you Sekiro and then Ishhin will appear in the tower and then you can activate this boss is too ambiguous. Anyhoo I got half the monkeys health down right now, confusing boss, feel it's going to get a lot harder soon.

amolbhatia50k

So the Guardian Ape was one tough battle. Again once you get moves down it isn't that had but a few of his moves took a long time to get a hold of and I was playing with 4 Healing Gourds rather than the 6 I should have had (2 gourd seeds just lying in my inventory). I think they could do guide a tad bit more as I've had a few occasions where I've been under levelled in terms of attack, vitsliry, healing etc making the game seem harder than it should have been.

Feeling like a king it was quite a moment of shock and despair where I met the headless ape again alongwith his friend. Was ready to accept another feck knows how many deaths to those two. But it was actually quite an easy fight. Died only twice and one was me just fecking about. Phew!

So far this is my favourite FromSoft game. The emphasis on block and parry and the overall combat mechanics is a step up from even DS for me. In the souls games you end up constantly rolling against the big bosses with it all feeling frenetic and all helter skelter. Whereas Sekiro's combat is just so precise and clean. I guess one suits dark fanatasy and other suits shinobi.. fantasy?

amolbhatia50k

Thought I'd go through the thread to see what people's views on the game were and as usual (unless it's a Zelda game) it was mostly just @Redlambs moaning about it :lol: Some things never change

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Thought I'd go through the thread to see what people's views on the game were and as usual (unless it's a Zelda game) it was mostly just @Redlambs moaning about it :lol: Some things never change
Oh do bore off :rolleyes:

Yes I moaned about the issues early on (such as the fps/hz conflicts, control issues, aimbot bug, etc), as we played it more or less together as we went along from launch, but most of my posts were about the actual game and giving advice on how to get through fights or helpful tips.

You stick to playing years, patches and YT videos later.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Loved this game, I played upon released and do not recall any issues with how it played or maybe I just dont really notice unless it is very obvious.

For me it was the hardest FROM game, but I did get the platinum eventually

amolbhatia50k

Oh do bore off :rolleyes:

Yes I moaned about the issues early on (such as the fps/hz conflicts, control issues, aimbot bug, etc), as we played it more or less together as we went along from launch, but most of my posts were about the actual game and giving advice on how to get through fights or helpful tips.

You stick to playing years, patches and YT videos later.
Don't take it too seriously. It's just amusing, although I do think you go overboard. It's kind of your thing :)

Kept reading something about a DS1 skin, before eventually moving on to something else.

Redlambs

Loved this game, I played upon released and do not recall any issues with how it played or maybe I just dont really notice unless it is very obvious.

For me it was the hardest FROM game, but I did get the platinum eventually
If it was on console, then the issues were way lessened and you probably wouldn't have noticed them. As usual with From, on PC they were worse though not gamebreaking. It was certainly a much smoother launch than most on that front.

Redlambs

Don't take it too seriously. It's just amusing, although I do think you go overboard. It's kind of your thing :)

Kept reading something about a DS1 skin, before eventually moving on to something else.
I know brother, which is why I put the cheeky YT dig in at the end ;)

Yeah it is my thing, I can't help it. I've always said developing games didn't ruin games for me, but certainly made it harder for me to overlook flaws, especially ones that have been on every game they've done in the past because the engine was never fixed properly.

Having said that, I clearly love the game and looking back I think I put it on the same level as DS2 early on which is clearly bullshit by the end :lol:

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
I know brother, which is why I put the cheeky YT dig in at the end ;)

Yeah it is my thing, I can't help it. I've always said developing games didn't ruin games for me, but certainly made it harder for me to overlook flaws, especially ones that have been on every game they've done in the past because the engine was never fixed properly.

Having said that, I clearly love the game and looking back I think I put it on the same level as DS2 early on which is clearly bullshit by the end :lol:
DS2 isnt good?

Siorac

DS2 isnt good?
That is the single most divisive question you could ask of the Soulsborne fanbase.

I don't like it - worth noting that I still did three complete playthroughs but still - and it's considered somewhat of a black sheep but it has some really vocal backers. The people who consider it their favourite (as inexplicable as that is) are really passionate about it, probably because it gets so much stick from everywhere else.

Last edited:

Redlambs

DS2 isnt good?
It is good yes! Just isn't as great as all the other from games, partially due to similar issues Sekiro early in the game has (a.i, severe aimbotting, and enemy placement for cheap difficulty),but mostly the level design was a massive disappointment from 1.

But as a standalone game it's still better than most soulsborne clones. Oh and the DLC certai ly hugely improved things for me.

amolbhatia50k

Yeah, DS2 is always considered to be the black sheep of the Soulsborne family. I like them all, probably enjoyed DS and DS3 more than the rest although I never finished Demon Souls as I think I upgraded consoles when I was playing or something. But Sekiro, so far, tops them all. The whole fluid movement and Samura stuff, feels like the perfect middle ground between Bloodborne and DS.

amolbhatia50k

That is the single most divisive question you could ask of the Soulsborne fanbase.

I don't like it - worth noting that I still did three complete playthroughs but still - and it's considered somewhat of a black sheep but it has some really vocal backers. The people who consider it their favourite (as inexplicable as that is) are really passionate about it, probably because it gets so much stick from everywhere else.
Ah feck, I just used that phrase after you already did.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'm tempted to pick this up, on the cheap that is. Issue is I know it'll frustrate the heck out of me but it looks visually up my street.

amolbhatia50k

I'm tempted to pick this up, on the cheap that is. Issue is I know it'll frustrate the heck out of me but it looks visually up my street.
Have you played a Soulsborne game before? If a game being extremely challenging/not hand holding doesn't bother you then go for it. It's brilliant.

I remember there were a lot of comparisons between this and Ghosts of Tsushima, and I know they're very difficult games, but in terms of quality of the experience, it's not even remotely close. Ghosts was a very good game. Sekiro based on the amount I've played, is special and FromSofts best game.

caid

I picked it up a few days ago. Beat Lady Butterfly after hours and hours, hope she's one of the harder bosses in the game. This feels the hardest FROM game by a fair margin to me.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I feel like I'm getting a bit worse at games as I get older. Or atleast, a twitchy game like this. The jump for a sweep counter for a thrust, dodge for a throw thing just won't reliably come out for me. I panic. I'm an old, panicky man with poor reaction times.

caid

Tbh i made Lady Butterfly way harder for myself than it needed to be. Continued on through Ashina and found another healing seed about 10 seconds further on from where i'd left it. Should have probably fought dude on horse before her too i guess. I beat him pretty comfortably on 2nd go, he's a hell of a lot easier. Got another healing seed from merchant after him and the extra attack power and she would have been much, much easier with 4 heals instead of 2

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Tbh i made Lady Butterfly way harder for myself than it needed to be. Continued on through Ashina and found another healing seed about 10 seconds further on from where i'd left it. Should have probably fought dude on horse before her too i guess. I beat him pretty comfortably on 2nd go, he's a hell of a lot easier. Got another healing seed from merchant after him and the extra attack power and she would have been much, much easier with 4 heals instead of 2
Oh you are not supposed to fight butterfly lady right away? She was the first boss I fought, again. Only had 1 healing gourd.

caid

Oh you are not supposed to fight butterfly lady right away? She was the first boss I fought, again. Only had 1 healing gourd.
Well you dont need to. And the second guy i fought was a lot easier.

caid

Typical of a FROM game really.
First time playng Dark Souls i went everywhere except the undead burg at the start of the game. Went down as far as pinwheel in the catacombs, hung around blighttown slowly wittling away the health of dudes with the big club. Grinded for a couple of hours to buy enough of them curse items to dig through most of that flooded city. Thought 'this game is way too hard' it was probably a couple of years later talking about it with someone and realised i'd gone the completely wrong way and made the game way harder than it normally is.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Trying to kill seven spears blachibla now. It's not necessarily that he's uber hard, but having to kill a gazillion dudrs to get to him becomes tedious after, well, 1 go.

Impatience is my main cause of death really.

amolbhatia50k

Trying to kill seven spears blachibla now. It's not necessarily that he's uber hard, but having to kill a gazillion dudrs to get to him becomes tedious after, well, 1 go.

Impatience is my main cause of death really.
Sneak. I just followed the same path as I did at the start of the game. And after you do a stealth deathblow drag him a bit towards the building. The others don't get aleeted.

caid

I just killed a bull and not really sure where im meant to go next. Just bouncing around rooftops in Ashina castle atm.