Selecting Fellaini over Depay - why is LVG so negative?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Does anyone feel that this selection decision alone is symtomatic of the negativity LVG has brought to the club ever since that Leicester game last year.

Rooney is finally out, we have a game at home to try and feature a new look side with plenty of pace, power up top and instead we stick in Fellaini and Mata. I mean ffs how many times do the likes of Mata have to perform badly before we just bench them and give other players a sustained chance to make their mark in the side.

LVG seems much more likely to take chances in terms of team selection when it comes to the defensive positions than he does with the attacking positions. I mean why is Andreas Periera being sidelined? its like anyone with any semblance of flair and risk in their game is banished to the sidelines.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I disagree with selecting Felliani who is just a bundle of heavy feet touches and magnetic chest touches. But grounds for dismissal? Come on now.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
:lol: Dismissal. Dismal? Yes, but you can't sack him for it.

Minimalist

Not grounds for dismissal alone but you're right in that is a symbolic decision. It's symbolic purely because Fellaini is not a no.10 or a forward, no matter what anyone on here will tell you. He's a midfielder, a mediocre box-to-box, meddling midfielder. It's him being conservative at home, which is just wrong.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Maybe if Florentino Perez was our President, but otherwise......:wenger::lol::lol::lol:

Great thread.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
@Raees get back to your anti-Rooney posts. They're your best work. This is doing you no favours though mate.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Imagine that meeting.

Ed: We're gunna have to let you go Louis.

Louis: Why? I've taken the club from 7th to being in a position to challenge for the league title. We're one of the best defensive teams in the league. We're really not far from where we need to be.

Ed: You picked Fellaini over Memphis pal, no compensation either. See ya.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Memphis was class when he came on, but he's been largely inconsistent and sometimes utterly useless. At least with Fellaini, you know what you're going to get, and he'll cause problems, even if it's a bit ugly to watch. I thought Fellaini was very good in the first half, but he trailed off in the 2nd.

If Memphis started and put in a 90 minute stinker whilst Fellaini came off the bench and had a good 15 minutes, would this thread be the reverse? Probably.

RustyS

Yes lets sack every top manager if we are not top of the league and he plays a player we don't like.

Reminds me of a team who sacked every manager out there and ended up with Benitez.

What a joke of a thread.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just a bit over the top... But it was a terrible decision regardless. Fellaini has been woeful this season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Starting Fellaini is something I'll never understand when we have more talented and exciting players than him. It makes no sense whatsoever to me but a lot of things have made no sense to me since LVG has arrived...

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I thought Fellaini was alright today. Held up the ball well on occasions as a no. 10. Memphis has been shite recently.

Completely logical decision. So in another words, shit thread.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Not, but it was a shocking decision considering the problems and criticisms we have had so far this season.

marlowe78

Memphis is probably going to start against Wolfsburg. I don't see the controversy in this, really.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
You put that title and yet your OP is mostly bashing Mata and not even mentioning Depay.

Fellaini was not worse than anyone in our attack today and he rarely is, when playing. It's just unfair at this point, to single him out every time.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Grounds for dismissal - I didn't mean it in terms of that decision alone merits dismissal. I like Fellaini, I mean it is just evidence of LVG being a negative manager who just isn't going to introduce the type of football we want to see at this club. He is just so negative in terms of team selection/tactics.

Changed the title. Read the OP.. I obviously didn't mean for him to be dismissed over a player selection, its more another piece of evidence of what he represents as a manager and I can't say it impresses me.

settembrini

Van Gaal talks so much about needing pace and creativity in attacking positions but frequently picks players in those positions with neither. It's pretty bizarre.

Sylar

It wasnt a bad move. Fellaini should have scored though (this thread wouldnt exist then).

Kostur

海尔的老板
Really, really shit memories for some on how Memphis has done this season. Fellaini hasn't done much wrong either bar that shit miss, but if that's the case we should get rid of Martial and Mata too.

Last edited:

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Grounds for dismissal - I didn't mean it in terms of that decision alone merits dismissal. I like Fellaini, I mean it is just evidence of LVG being a negative manager who just isn't going to introduce the type of football we want to see at this club. He is just so negative in terms of team selection/tactics.
There's nothing negative about playing Fellaini, he's a big guy with long legs, he can play with his back to goal and shield the ball, players with pace should profit from that. And he gives them better options to play it through the air.

ken11

I don't see anything about sacking LVG in the first post.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Could be that Louis, rightly or wrongly, sets great store by his more senior professionals, and favours them over his younger players. In general, this isn't a bad policy but it's not really working out for United specifically, as most of our senior players are past their best.

Question234

For all the laughing we do at madrid they would absolute end us over two legs. Be it benetiz, ancelotti or jose in charge.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Oh FFS, Depay has been shit and hasn't justified a place in the team. Now that he's worked hard and had a good cameo he possibly has justified his selection over Fellaini in the next game. Criticise away if Depay plays well in the next 2 or 3 games and still doesn't get a chance to start.

needtoknowbasis

You put that title and yet your OP is mostly bashing Mata and not even mentioning Depay.

Fellaini was not worse than anyone in our attack today and he rarely is, when playing. It's just unfair at this point, to single him out every time.
I was at the match yesterday and Fellaini was the worst player on the pitch .... He's a lazy feck and has to be the worse player I've ever seen in a United shirt and we've had some bad ones . Every time he gets the ball , and that's when he's not watching it pass him by , he manages to give it away more than anyone else. He's bloody awful footballer and if United are paying him more than £2.50 a week he's stealing a bloody living from the club ..... That match upset me yesterday and not one person I spoke to after that game had a different opinion of that fecker.....

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Depay has been consistently poor other that 1 or 2 good moments. Fellaini didn't even play badly yesterday so im not quite understanding all of that hate.

needtoknowbasis

Depay has been consistently poor other that 1 or 2 good moments. Fellaini didn't even play badly yesterday so im not quite understanding all of that hate.
He didn't play badly ! We must have been watching different game. He was shocking .... I don't usually have much to say about him, at best he's a squad player but he really upset me yesterday !