Sell before you buy - so who is off?

Devil may care

Carrick wont be sold, his contract is up at the end of the season so he'll be off on a free or more likely he'll retire. I think we could sell Darmian, Young, Fellaini, Mata and Herrera, possibly Mkhi as well.

Kag

How do you feel about Jones, Darmian, Smalling, Shaw, Young, Lingard and Carrick?
Smalling and Jones are very good defenders that are too often criticised by imbeciles - see our defensive record over the past three seasons for evidence of that.

Shaw is a good player that will get it right when given the opportunity and support (probably at another club, sadly).

Darmian is a handy squad player to have around in spite of the fact I think he's shite going forward, as is Young in his current guise. If they were to leave I wouldn't care, however.

Carrick is 36 and soon to retire and Lingard is largely shite.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
So strange that this report comes out on the same day as MEN report Jose wants more backing in the transfer market. Looks like there are problems between Woody/Glazers and Jose and those rumours about him leaving might just be coming true if we do not show the ambition he wants us to show then we will lose him. Every great manager wants backing from the board, look at what Pep got and how he is playing. Jose in his mind would be competing against Pep and thinking man, if i had same money i could beat him. Hence the flirting With PSG.

SambaBoy

Darmian can go for me. He's pretty pointless, not really that solid defensively and offers nothing going forward.

Mata is a nothing player, has some decent stats in terms of goals and assists but ultimately doesn't influence the game enough compared to our rivals' players playing in the same position.

Mkhi is obviously a talented player and has shown it at times here and consistently at Dortmund and Shakthar after slow starts there. I'm willing to give him another season, it's not easy to adjust to the PL and I still think he is finding his feet at the club. Likewise with Lindelof, he was bought for a purpose, the club obviously rate him and he showed potential at Benfica. Give him till the summer of 2019 and see if he has improved and had an influence at United and if not get rid of him then. I'd give Herrera till summer of 2019 as well, he hasn't made a long lasting impact in the team, he seems to hit a run of form before playing within himself. He needs to impose himself on the team more and offer a greater threat going forward.

Shaw is in his last chance saloon too, if he can't stay injury free and get in Mourinho's team by the end of the season then there's no point keeping him round as he's clearly not favoured by Mourinho and it's a waste of everyone time at the minute.

Young and Carrick will most likely be off the wage bill. Carrick has been a great player and servant but his best days are probably behind him and it would be wise to move him on. Same with Young.

The likes of Blind, Lingard and Fellaini offer good depth and I would be happy to keep all 3. Blind can cover LB and CB if need be, and his delivery and use of the ball is top notch however he shouldn't be our first choice LB. Lingard can play a plethora of postions and he is quite consistent in terms of his work rate and end product, he's never going to be a world beater and should never be a regular at a team of United's standard but if he's happy to be on the bench for the next 5-6 seasons and play 10-20 games a season then he is worth keeping.

Darmian and Mata should go right away, jury out on Mkhi and Herrera, Carrick and Young to be phased out but replaced adequately.

Havak

Pokemon master
Jose won't sell anyone he bought yet, so mentions of Mkhitaryan and Lindelof are ludicrous. Even if Mkhitaryan got close to the chop-list, I think he'd be more likely to take the squad role of Lingard/Mata first - ie. They would be sold before him. However, I think none of them are going anywhere in January, but if we're still in for Greizemann or if Ozil comes, then yes, one of them is probably gone by this Summer at the latest.

The more likely choices for me are all in defence and play similar positions. Luke Shaw, Matteo Darmian, and Daley Blind. I think Jose would part with one of these guys first and even probably sell another one of them in the Summer straight after. Only one of them will stay as a squad player into next year, as they'll be most likely to compete with Young for the Left Back slot (though I think unless Shaw pulls his finger out and has a great second half of the season somehow, there will be a new Left Back signed anyway). Rojo will be back, while Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah will also get more chances, so losing these players who can play most positions in defence possibly even do a job in midfield makes the most sense. Carrick won't be sold, he'll just come to the end of his contract in the Summer and that will be that.

This is mostly about January, however, so my expectation is that this is probably a bit of bullshit, but we might see Darmian or Blind move on if the offer is right. I don't think we're in a strong enough position to sell any of our attacking players or risk selling a CB.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Smalling and Jones are very good defenders that are too often criticised by imbeciles - see our defensive record over the past three seasons for evidence of that.

Shaw is a good player that will get it right when given the opportunity and support (probably at another club, sadly).

Darmian is a handy squad player to have around in spite of the fact I think he's shite going forward, as is Young in his current guise. If they were to leave I wouldn't care, however.

Carrick is 36 and soon to retire and Lingard is largely shite.
Every manager he has had, has said he is fecked mentally, he doesnt have the mentality to do it. If that is the case then well, he is of no use. A semi final against Real madrid and Shaw is our only left back, he comes in the morning and feels a niggle he will walk out on the team like he did last year.
Football is as much about physical ability as it is about mental side of things, Shaw has a shit one and like januzaj is the reason he wasnt succesful here.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
What a load of nonsense. We will be adding numbers and quality to the club and rightly so. Shaw and Carrick need replacing and on top of that we need another creative midfielder and another winger.
Article is on about January - not that we do any business in January anyway with the exception of Mata.

What people are ignoring is there's a good reason we have to sell before we buy - we're at our 25-man squad cap for the season. Though Johnstone is loaned out he still has to be named.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Mkhitaryan, Shaw, Darmian, Lindelof (just don't have any faith in him)

AXVnee7

I think we will spend frivolously for a season or two more, but it was always going to get to a time where we have to start reigning in the spending. That doesn't mean we won't drop big on a player, it means we will have to justify it more. I'd hope by that time we have a core squad and are upgrading/replacing between windows rather than trying to build a squad. That's the investment now is for until the next cycle.

Jaybomb

I would sell...

Smalling, Jones, Young.
— All of them have had their time and it’s time to move on. Smalling and Jones are never gonna get any better and Young is simply past it. I don’t want to see him “do a job”, I want a world class LB.

Mkhitaryan and Herrera
— Not United quality in my eyes. Yes their stats look flattering but in terms of play style, I’m just not a fan. They don’t look like United players to me and they never have. If we could swap one of them in the Griezmann deal, I’d take it.

Shaw
— Similar to Jones and Smalling really. He’s been here for about 4 seasons now and he’s done feck all. By all accounts his attitude stinks and personally I just don’t rate him as a footballer. He isn’t particularly good on the ball, can’t cross, can’t shoot and isn’t lightening fast. What does he offer really? Ship him off and get someone like Rose or Bertrand in. We will improve immensely.

SirAF

Ageist

Disagree about Jones, he is top class when fit - and this season it appears that Mourinho is managing him so that he's been more available than earlier. Mhkitaryan won't be sold so soon after being bought and Herrera is a fine squad player.

Realistically, I would sell:

Mata - Love the guy and he's a fine player but I think the club can do better and he's also on a pretty big contract. Would get rid of 100k+ p/w
Shaw - No comment needed, really? Also on a big contract.
Blind or Darmian.

Should probably fetch around 40m GBP and clear up at least 250k p/w in wages.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
So strange that this report comes out on the same day as MEN report Jose wants more backing in the transfer market. Looks like there are problems between Woody/Glazers and Jose and those rumours about him leaving might just be coming true if we do not show the ambition he wants us to show then we will lose him. Every great manager wants backing from the board, look at what Pep got and how he is playing. Jose in his mind would be competing against Pep and thinking man, if i had same money i could beat him. Hence the flirting With PSG.
Probably not, seeing as he actually spent more money than him in the summer.

Coops73

fecking leeches our owners. Sell before you buy for the biggest club in the world, shameful by any standards. We will fall even more behind than now till the time these idiots are our owners. It is clear we did not buy another player because we did not have the money in the summer. For all the claims about the money we have by woodward this is embarrassing.
Im probably being totally cynical here but they don’t mind throwing the dosh about for the likes of Pogba and Lukaku because it all looks good for the sponsors but when Jose wanted Perisic, and yeah 40 million is a fair whack for someone who’s hardly looked at as “world class” they’re not interested, Woodward probably finds it hard to sell the idea to the Glazers that spending that kind of money on a relatively little known player in his late 20s is what’s needed and I can’t see the likes of Adidas or Chevrolet wanking into their advertising budget for the likes of him, yet that’s where football is right now, last years 20 million is this years 40 million.

I’m not saying they’ve been tight, I just think they’re limiting on who that money goes on, hence why we read a lot about the likes of Bale and Griezmann being courted, good players in their own right but also good for the sponsors too.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I've tried my best to stand by Shaw, but I cant give him anymore time so:

Shaw, Smalling, Blind, Darmian, Fellaini, Lingard, Mata, Mhki could all go for me.
Stand by Mourinho, but if Poch is available in the summer, I'd be all over him

United_We_Stand

The thread should address which player(s) Mourinho should/would sell IN JANUARY, so stop talking about replacing 5 or 6 players.
It will be 2 or 3 players max. And we will sign no more than one player, hopefully an attacker (RW/10).

ZAGREB RED

Shaw, Blind, Darmian, Mata probably the obvious candidates. Possibly one of Smalling or Jones, Smalling most likely, JM seems to like Jones. Young maybe, Lindelof if Mourinho decides by January he has made a mistake and tries to dump him.
Not sure about Lingard.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Lingard Mata Mykytarin Herrera Darmain Shaw Carrick Blind

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
We've only allowed him to spend £300mill since he joined us in transfer fees. feck all ambition there, aye

davidmichael

Out:

Johnstone, Darmian, a centre back, Shaw, Carrick as he’s never used, Fellaini, Mhkitaryan, Lingard

In:

Alex Sandro, Savic, Malcolm then recall Fosu-Mensah and Pereira

Home&Away

Only an idiot would sell blind; played in two cup finals now that we won has he? Still doesn't get a proper look in without making a mistake. His so called mistakes are in people's dreams.

kps88

This thread is insane. People wanting to sell the likes of Jones, Smalling, Young, Herrera, Mata, Fellaini and Micky. Good luck finding replacements for them in January.

Kag

That's why we've been tearing it up recently.
Moreso a product of a pathetic approach to tough games.

I don't doubt we need another attacker or two, but we're settled everywhere else. Many of these players are very good ones that aren't playing at their top level.

Our whole foot is infected yet people think clipping off the toenails will solve it all.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Wouldn't be surprised if we start to tighten our belts given spending in recent years. The CL is unlikely to make us that much this year either given that 5 English clubs are still in it.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football..._the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

Beeb reporting that jose needs to sell before buying.

Shaw is the obvious one, but who else? Carrick? Mata? Herrera? Blind?

Feels like Fellaini has earned his place, but i could see Mata and Herrera leaving due to restricted playing time.
It was fairly obvious during the Summer that our board were not willing to spend any more money. Fans argued against me on this point, even though Jose repeatedly spoke about wanting at least another player last Summer.
He is now using a squad that he isn't happy with.
People ask why he uses Lingard. My question is: if he hasn't got any other option, what can he do?
He has managed at top clubs, with fantastic players under him. Do people honestly think that Jose is happy with Lingard (or the likes of Shaw, etc)?
He is battling MCFC with one hand tied behind his back.
And it doesn't help that the press and fans are on his back.

On top of all this, PSG want the best manager in the World to manage them, so Jose is at the top of their list.

This is so frustrating.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I hope this is true and Jose starts selling players. He has offered far too much leeway to some players and have overrated mediocre talents like Fellaini and Young. I hope Shaw is sent on loan.
Fellaini and Young are both better players than Shaw.
You want to reward mediocre players, while selling our most productive players?

Have a go at Mesut Özil as well as he's got 6 months left.
I think Mata and Ibra are both better No.10s.
He isn't doing particularly great at Arsenal and I doubt he'll do anything special for us.

Decomposing In Paris

Herrera, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Fellaini...

These are good fecking players. :lol:

Jesus.
I know, the way some on here talk you'd think that they were all crap (well, we just lost a game at Stamford Bridge by 1 goal, so I guess everybody is crap). Isn't form a great leveller, Herrera is on the list, Young is not.

AkaAkuma

Article is on about January - not that we do any business in January anyway with the exception of Mata.

What people are ignoring is there's a good reason we have to sell before we buy - we're at our 25-man squad cap for the season. Though Johnstone is loaned out he still has to be named.
Exactly, we have a full squad - further signings would most likely take it to 3 players competing for the position. Or in the case of a left back - 5.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I would sell...

Smalling, Jones, Young.
— All of them have had their time and it’s time to move on. Smalling and Jones are never gonna get any better and Young is simply past it. I don’t want to see him “do a job”, I want a world class LB.

Mkhitaryan and Herrera
— Not United quality in my eyes. Yes their stats look flattering but in terms of play style, I’m just not a fan. They don’t look like United players to me and they never have. If we could swap one of them in the Griezmann deal, I’d take it.

Shaw
— Similar to Jones and Smalling really. He’s been here for about 4 seasons now and he’s done feck all. By all accounts his attitude stinks and personally I just don’t rate him as a footballer. He isn’t particularly good on the ball, can’t cross, can’t shoot and isn’t lightening fast. What does he offer really? Ship him off and get someone like Rose or Bertrand in. We will improve immensely.
Think I agree with all of this post, although I don't think all of them will be sold it's certainly who i'd want gone. Although I still think Jose will flog Mata in the Summer and I would personally want rid of Fellaini, never been a fan and it frustrates me how we use him. We used to believe in our style of football and play to the final whistle in the same way knowing that eventually we'd break the opposition down. Now if it's not working we just throw Fellaini on and lob long balls at him. We won't sell him though.

AshRK

Fellaini and Young are both better players than Shaw.
You want to reward mediocre players, while selling our most productive players?
Sorry but young and Fellaini are far from our most productive players. It is sad how before every season we try to move on from these two but ultimately they become some sort of key figure because of their work rate. If we have to be winning CL or PL we need to stop depending on Fellaini as our Plan B. As long as we have fellaini, managers will just bring him and ask people to lump the ball to him. I am not saying Fellaini has no use, he is very useful but we have to make a choice, either move on from him or just keep playing and depending on him.

C'est Moi Cantona

Good, we have too many players doing very little, Shaw, Darmian, and Mata will do for now, Carrick, Miki, and Smalling not far behind.

I see this as more about controlling the wage bill than generating transfer fees anyway, which is fair enough.

CM

Most players with any resale value in the squad aren't worth selling. Shaw is probably the likeliest given the lack of opportunities; next in line are the likes of Lingard, Darmian and Blind who do little more than make up numbers.

Carrick, Young and possibly Ibra will be gone by the end of the season though so we should be careful not to feck too many of them off.