Sell before you buy - so who is off?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I dont want us to buy whole new team obviosuly, but where you need quality you have to sign players.

As with underperforming players pogba did more than okay last year with an unbalanced midfeild with the likes of fellai who was so mediocre in his united career and is never a top level player who could partner pogba, carrick is 36 and has lost the legs, herrera isnt great on the ball either. What choice of midfelder we had with pogba who played with pirlo marchisio vidal level midfeilders in juventus in a mid 3 without any defensive duties.

Mkh looks bad because he is basically a counter attacking player and when we face low blocks he does not know what to do and how to find space and how to link up. He stuggled to cope up with epl league's demands. Lukaku needs service to score and all 3 rashford martial and mata are not natural wingers who would feed him but they are strikers too or square peg in a round hole. We couldnt get perisic to feed crosses to lukaku and when you have so many injuries that you cant play mid 3 to control the ball lukaku gets isolated with mkh who doesnot know what to do against low blocks with the ball at his feet.

Its not non sense one bit. it makes perfect sense because only the likes of pogba matic carrick rashford martial and mata in some cases and zlatan are good on the ball. rest all the defenders and midfeilders are not ball playing players and some seriously lacing the workrate like blind darmian shaw mkh.
where spending 150 million a season on avrage, signing 4 players on avrage a season, still its not enough.....

Herrera was bought for his ball playing ability in midfield people where talking about him been the next Xavi, thier was talk of LVG not liking him becuase he was to forward thinking in his passing, now he isnt good on the ball? Mkhitaryans work rate was off the charts at Dortmund, Blind use to work his socks of under LVG and at Ajax and for holland for that matter. Pogba at Juve defintly had defesive duites, he got up and down the pitch, he had to make up at times for the lack of movement from players like pirlo who basically did nothing off the ball in the latter part of his career.

as for not having tradional wingers, we we saw sore how few tradional winders their are in the modern game this season, plus we dont need trdational wide men with a player like lukaku, we want players who are gonna cut inside and pass to his feet for him to run on and that is exactly what we have in rashford, Martial mata Mkhitaryan...... unfortunatly where not doing that where hoofing it long up to him when he isnt a great hold up man.

the bottomline is the players we are putting out their are capable of performing far better then we are seeing espically when going forward.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football..._the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

Beeb reporting that jose needs to sell before buying.

Shaw is the obvious one, but who else? Carrick? Mata? Herrera? Blind?

Feels like Fellaini has earned his place, but i could see Mata and Herrera leaving due to restricted playing time.
Probably not the case that we need to sell before buying, we may have to sell, but the timing is not that important as we will know ahead of time about what each player will bring and can then do the calculations of what the budget is.

red_devil83

Mkhitaryan and Mata I would think would be most likely. Replace them with 1 top quality no 10

el3mel

We cant sell any one right now. And lindelof Are you kidding me?
The BBC report says we can't buy before we sell, so here we go.

Regarding Lindelof, I'm usually not very harsh on new comers but I think his problems are hardly about settling in a new league and all that to be honest.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Glad someone else thinks the same.
Honestly. Smalling and Jones will strengthen all of our rivals first XI bar Spurs, but people can’t cut them quickly enough.

Not sure if people realise that they are not the problem in our team at all. I think some just like player turnover for the sake of it. Well at least they have their Lindelof now to replace one.

Paul_Scholes18

Don't think we need to sell players. Our squad is not that huge right now. Worrying that we will fall behind financially and our poor spendings will hurt us since we just can't spend more to get out of it. I guess Shaw can go and another left back added. It don't look like he will make it even if you can still hope.

Might be time for Carrick to retire after this season though, but no money for that. I really like Mata, but maybe time for him to move on and for us to buy a top class winger instead. He is getting older and even slower. I would like to keep him around as a squad player personally and think we should be able to afford it, but I guess he got huge wages.

Ibrahimovic just playing this season seem logical as well.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Manchester United have to sell before they buy...what the feck.

Paul_Scholes18

I feel the problem is we have payed far too much to get and keep our players. I know City do it as well, but we seem to spend massive amount of wages on players like Lingard if the reports are true with his new contract.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
So strange that this report comes out on the same day as MEN report Jose wants more backing in the transfer market. Looks like there are problems between Woody/Glazers and Jose and those rumours about him leaving might just be coming true if we do not show the ambition he wants us to show then we will lose him. Every great manager wants backing from the board, look at what Pep got and how he is playing. Jose in his mind would be competing against Pep and thinking man, if i had same money i could beat him. Hence the flirting With PSG.
Oh here we go again, two news stories and immediately we jump to the OMG Jose is fighing with Woodie and the owners!

prtk0811

where spending 150 million a season on avrage, signing 4 players on avrage a season, still its not enough.....

Herrera was bought for his ball playing ability in midfield people where talking about him been the next Xavi, thier was talk of LVG not liking him becuase he was to forward thinking in his passing, now he isnt good on the ball? Mkhitaryans work rate was off the charts at Dortmund, Blind use to work his socks of under LVG and at Ajax and for holland for that matter. Pogba at Juve defintly had defesive duites, he got up and down the pitch, he had to make up at times for the lack of movement from players like pirlo who basically did nothing off the ball in the latter part of his career.
Herrera never had the ball playing ability or midfeild controlling abilities of xavi, its hillarious of people who think so. Herrera can never play in a 2 man midfield on top level as a holding pivot. He is a proactive pressing machine who play short passes and some through balls but can never play make or make long passes like fabregas, he's not even kante in terms of playing in mid 2. Nither he is box to box like a roy keane. his shots from long range always skies over, If herrera was to forward passing then we have seen nothing off him in this season to suggest so where he failed to win the midfeild battle at liverpool, failed to open up huddersfeild and failed to win the mid battle against chelsea. He is a limited player on the ball , who also has trouble wining it back from a deeper position as a pivot. He had a poor game in super cup against madrid too where he dint press on many ocasions. Pogba had defensive duties ok but he was still playing with a b2b player like vidal and marchisio. Pogba did well with carrick and herrera together last year. And he's been missing in all the crucial big games this season so it has been so unlucky for mourinho.

Mkh does not have a big enough charecter to get going when the going gets tough and dependng solely on him was a huge mistake because he's letting morinho down as we ignored the input of lvg of buying sadio mane who's doing wonders in epl with saints and now liverpool under a good manager. Blind mainly played as a cb under lvg with his ball playing abilities, but also cost us points and games and ucl spot last season with his poor aerial abilities against west ham where we needed to win in order to quality for ucl. At left back he can not run up and down the pitch and overlap and be defensively astute equally

as for not having tradional wingers, we we saw sore how few tradional winders their are in the modern game this season, plus we dont need trdational wide men with a player like lukaku, we want players who are gonna cut inside and pass to his feet for him to run on and that is exactly what we have in rashford, Martial mata Mkhitaryan...... unfortunatly where not doing that where hoofing it long up to him when he isnt a great hold up man.
Traditional wingers can cut in also and can play traditional wingers like balls too for the striker with the inverted win system like sterling and sane who shoot themselves too and provide 5 options as goal threats. MArtial and rashford always cut inside the traffic without the fullback or attacking midfeilder overloading the flank so they get doubled up by wingers and full backs or get cancled out by wingbacks so they are no longer goal threats anymore themselves while their only option remain service to lukaku which is not their natural strength and the opposition is ready to deal with one dimentional balls into lukaku which is anticipated pretty eaisily as the inside cutting wingers are nullied eaisily as goal threats without overlapping full backs.

We only start laying long balls when all our plans fails until the 75th minute.

the bottomline is the players we are putting out their are capable of performing far better then we are seeing espically when going forward.
The bottom line is when you have 2 midfeilders fit you cant play a 433 and thus managers like klopp take advantage if extra man in the mid with their counter pressing and ball circulation total football way to dominate the middle and push the wingers to defend ob the overlapping full backs so they are taken out of the game as goal options or servicing players and lukaku has no service with mkh loosing the ball in high press all the time where your defenders are also not capable of playing the ball out from the back with the likes od mediocre smalling and jones on the ball and valencia and young.

When you lack balance and players who can pass well for the counter you get this dud attacking football because you already loose the mid battle.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I feel the problem is we have payed far too much to get and keep our players. I know City do it as well, but we seem to spend massive amount of wages on players like Lingard if the reports are true with his new contract.
Its a symptom of the poor transfer policy under Moyes and LVG.

Blind, Darmian, Young, Hererra, Fellaini, Mata, Rooney, Shaw

Depay, Di Maria, Schwiensteiger, Schneiderlin, Falcao

So many poor signings and extensions

prtk0811

The BBC report says we can't buy before we sell, so here we go.

Regarding Lindelof, I'm usually not very harsh on new comers but I think his problems are hardly about settling in a new league and all that to be honest.
Darmian- if valencia gets injured we are in trouble

Blind- decent option to have

Young wing back

Mkh can play on the right where we only have lingard. Did well in european competiton.

Mata automatically dropped against big sides , never tried in the centre and against smaller teams cuts inside on his left and plays very well.

Shaw. games and confidence can turn him around but in case of injuries we may need him still.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
i could carry on making points like you have ago at Mkhitaryan character and priase pogba for when we miss him i big games yet most of last year he was been criticised for not turning up in the big games. or the fact we have over players capable of been over lapping full back but Mourinho likes his full backs to stay back, or that it wasnt the 75th miniute we went long we where trying to use Lukaku as a hold up amn after about 20 mins last week, as for unblanced well you can name any team in world football and say it unblacnced in one way or other its up to that manger to over come this......

truth is we be here all day, you saying it the players arnt good enough me saying the manager should be able to get far more out of the players he has at his disposal and we will never agree becuase your never gonna convince me that what where seeing is the best this team is capable of doing going forward.

caid

Players I'd be bothered about us selling - DDG, Martial, Rashford, Pogba, Matic.
The rest are fairly replaceable, or they would be if our transfer strategy wasn't hopeless.
I'd be reluctant to let go of Jones, Bailly and maybe Mata,
I guess Valencia would be good cover and I suppose Lukaku could improve and is probably just about good enough.

Next player i'd keep would probably be Fellaini for his attitude, which is a pretty poor standard and any player below that we wont miss.

prtk0811

i could carry on making points like you have ago at Mkhitaryan character and priase pogba for when we miss him i big games yet most of last year he was been criticised for not turning up in the big games. or the fact we have over players capable of been over lapping full back but Mourinho likes his full backs to stay back, or that it wasnt the 75th miniute we went long we where trying to use Lukaku as a hold up amn after about 20 mins last week, as for unblanced well you can name any team in world football and say it unblacnced in one way or other its up to that manger to over come this......

truth is we be here all day, you saying it the players arnt good enough me saying the manager should be able to get far more out of the players he has at his disposal and we will never agree becuase your never gonna convince me that what where seeing is the best this team is capable of doing going forward.
Pogba played in an unbalancedmid last season, maticwill take the best out of him as per games before injury. We were dud going forward under moyes, we were dud going forward under lvg with allthe ball posession he had and we were dud going forward now when pogba has been missing.

Players ad balance has been a problem.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Pogba played in an unbalancedmid last season, maticwill take the best out of him as per games before injury. We were dud going forward under moyes, we were dud going forward under lvg with allthe ball posession he had and we were dud going forward now when pogba has been missing.

Players ad balance has been a problem.
think your making excuses the players we have had on the pitch should be putting out better perfoamces then we are seeing, saying where rubish becuase we havnt got pogba is giving mouinho a massive pass

but hey im not gonna convince you, maybe next year when wvere spent anothe 150 million and are still hoofing it you might see the point

prtk0811

think your making excuses the players we have had on the pitch should be putting out better perfoamces then we are seeing, saying where rubish becuase we havnt got pogba is giving mouinho a massive pass

but hey im not gonna convince you, maybe next year when wvere spent anothe 150 million and are still hoofing it you might see the point
Hire pep guardiola , he'll sell 10 of those players and bring new ones. What excuses are we talking about here ? People seem to be forgetting what an incredible start to the season we had before pogba and fellani and carrick all got injured and scored secnd highest goals without hoofing and also are top in ucl group won 4 since 2012.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Fellaini, Darmian, Shaw and one off Mata or Micky.

deafepl

We're in this mess because of absolutely dire decision making from several managers including Jose.
How is it Jose's fault? We got Pogba, Bailly, Lukaku, Matic and Zlatan. Mkhi is a flop and Lindelof is adapting. Martial is only one of the best signing post SAF era before Jose and all other players we sign turned out to be average.

Red_toad

We're in this mess because of absolutely dire decision making from several managers including Jose.
So the owners are absolved from hiring the managers, all of whom have a completely different ethos on how the game should be played?
Glazers have made many bad decisions, getting a manager who can work with what we had should have been a priority, we cannot just replace everyone every other season. but it's silly season as we're going through a sticky patch and the fans are in the usual mob mentality. Sack and sell everyone, blah, blah, blah.

Devil may care

6 CB's, 3 LB's, 2 RB's, 5 CM's, in those positions it makes sense that we have to sell before we buy to balance wages and make the squads game time manageable.

NotQuiteManc

Mata - Lovely guy, but he is a surplus to requirement. He is not that bad, but I think United could do better.
Blind - LvG type of player, and not suitable for Mourinho's team I think. Again like Mata, he is not that bad, but an attacking full-back like Bertrand, Rose-type would be more suitable for Mourinho's team.
Darmian - More than decent defender, just not good enough for United's standard as he is pretty bad offensive-wise. A younger full-back to be Valencia's understudy or back-to-back would be ideal.
Smalling - Another surplus to requirement. Bailly, Jones, Rojo, Tuanzebe, Lindelof should be the CB's for the first team.
Shaw - Disappointed that it is not working for him at the moment, but attitude is just not on point to be United player.

Carrick, Ibra, Young would be the ones to live on free and save up on wages.

Inter Yer Nan

In January I don't want to see anybody go as I don't think we are going to bring in a serious target in January. I think by next summer we'll likely have gotten rid of Darmian, Blind, Shaw and one of Mata or Micky - maybe both. If we sell all of those we better have raised between $80-100m off them which should cover our marquee signing next summer.

ghagua

I would not renew Carrick. Would move on Mata and if we can and one of either Blind or Rojo to free up some wages. I would seriously consider moving Mkhitaryan if we get a good offer as I just don't see him being successful throughout the season with the system that we play.

The United

It might probably has something to do with the wage bill which was/is the highest in EPL. Which is obviously a concern.

We might be rich atm. Does not mean we can get too careless with finance.

Or we can say it is why we are being the richest due to good management with it.

Plus Jose said he likes to work with small squad or something.

Last edited:

NotQuiteManc

It might probably has something to do with the wage bill which was/is the highest in EPL. Which is obviously a concern.

We might be rich atm. Does not mean we can't get too careless with finance.

Or we can say it is why we are being the richest due to good management with it.

Plus Jose said he likes to work with small squad or something.
Not to mention in maintaining a great harmony among the players, which I am pretty sure a few would not be happy to be on the bench.

It is always good to keep an eye on the wages spending and the overall budget before it gets out of hands, just like Barca's which is around 80% of the overall spending/budget(?).

Don't want to be like Leeds United in the past, where they keep spending (on good young players which is commendable but did it too much when they haven't reach any kind of real success yet).

kthanksbye

Got to be Carrick (who'll most probably retire), Young, Shaw, Jones, Fellaini and Mikhi.

Players like Mata, Herrera, Smalling, Lindelof, Blind, Darmian, Valencia should strictly be squad players.

Our starting 11 should look something like this.

DeGea.
New RB. Rojo. Bailly. New LB
Matic.
New CM. Pogba.
New RW. Lukaku. Martial/Rash.

Depends on how Rojo comes back from the injury.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Kapardin

We won't be able to sell anyone in Jan and it will probably make Jose even more grumpy.

"No, I don't need more players. I am happy with Lingard and 'Arrera, I plan to marry Marouane zis summer and Shaw is working harder in ze lunches, he is eating more of ze kebabs now..."

Micky Targaryen

1) Mkhitaryan. Not built for the PL. Even if he does bulk up, he is a very much a confidence player. Weak mentality all around.

2) Shaw. I'm absolutely clueless as to why he is still on our payroll. Ship him off ASAP.

3) Carrick. As much as he's been a great servant to the club, he really should be retiring. Or at least be transitioning to a coaching role.

Mcking

Mkhitaryan and Mata I would think would be most likely. Replace them with 1 top quality no 10
Mata
Mkhitaryan
Shaw
Carrick
It's amazing how things change so quickly. A lot of Caf members didn't wan't James Rodriguez because we have better 10s in Mkhi and Mata who is apparently better too. 4months later, Mkhi is shit and Mata offers nothing. Now the notion is sell them and bring in a 'top quality' 10 - which James clearly was.
:annoyed: