Sell before you buy - so who is off?

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
But do you remember Vidic and Evra before they signed for United, both very good players, that was clear to see.
Lindelof, hmmm, not so clear cut that he was a good player before he joined United.
I don't remember any of the 3 before United but I'm pretty confident the scouts do.

beingshe7don

I don't remember any of the 3 before United but I'm pretty confident the scouts do.
Lindelof came with a reputation of being the ICE MAN as in he's cool and calm when put under pressure. Unfortunately he came to the PL and all that ice has melted, all we have is a defender who has performed crappy in every game he's played. Yes, there are games where we've got a clean sheet but even in those games, he's given away the ball cheaply in dangerous positions. It just happens that the opposition didn't capitalize on our mistakes. Tuanzebe >>> Lindelof. We really need to keep faith in our home grown youngsters.

I think that a lot of people expecting 8 or 9 players to be sold/leave/retire and the same amount to be brought in is unrealistic.

It's very rare for this to ever happen and even less common for it to actually work given the amount of time it will take for all the new arrivals to gel. Look at AC Milan this season, although admittedly some of the players they signed are quite poor but it still shows that wholesale changes take time to work.

My 2 pennies for what it's worth would be:
Darmian - sell to anyone in Italy that will have him back
Carrick - will retire
Shaw - I don't think it's ever going to work, cut the chord
Mata - Never been his biggest fan and doesn't really have a position in any system we play
Zlatan - Will go to America for his swansong

Players I'd like us to target:
Tierney - I am a Celtic fan and this guy is the real deal. Could be left back for 10+ years. Quick, strong, good in the tackle, gets up and down the pitch all day and has great delivery. I'd also prioritise left back over right back as Valencia could still do another season.
Pulisic - Would give us a much needed outlet on the right
Goretzka - Can perform most of the midfield roles and is available on a free
Griezmann - Jose and Woodward want that marquee name (please not Bale!!)

In addition to this I certainly wouldn't say no to Ozil on a free if the rumours are true and I would bring back Perreria and TFM into the squad after their loans. I also wouldn't be too upset to move on Smalling for reasonable money given we have decent depth at centre back.
Yeah I'd take that.

See The Day

Herrera - Living off that performance against Chelsea when he stalked Hazard.
Mata - Living off that performance against Liverpool when he scored two goals.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Herrera isn't strong enough on the ball, Miki has been pretty awful and Mata is either a match winner or nothing at all which isn't really good enough. I'm sure we can find some idiot to buy Smalling (Wenger!). I also wouldn't miss Young too much and I still fin it annoying that a club of our stature plays a winger at full back, Valencia, even those at times he has been good. Frankly, I am coming to the conclusion that the squad need an overhaul, something SAF was never afraid to do

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I remember Porto selling Villas Boas to Chelsea by 15M€.
We could do the same with Mourinho, but ask for 50M€ to PSG. Would be fair deal. :D

Acole9

Outstanding
We're in this mess because of absolutely dire decision making from several managers including Jose.
Yep, spot on. We've spent large sums on getting the "Right players" and still the squad is not right.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Herrera - What's he actually good at? He annoys me more than anything. Wears his heart on his sleeve which is to be admired but not good enough I don't think.
Shaw - Clearly not going to work and several managers have questioned his mentality and attitude.
Mata - Love the guy but doesn't fit in our system
Ibra - Will go do his thing in the US.
Carrick - Retire I'd have thought

Wouldn't ditch Mhiki just yet. He's having a horrific spell but I'm hoping he can turn it back around. His confidence is shot though.

Not actually sure how much selling the above players will fetch in. I don't anticipate any big signings in January anyway. With the return of Ibra, Pogba and Rojo I think we will be in a fairly good state come January, just so long as we don't allow City to increase their 8 point lead.

I'd like to see a pacy right sided player come in sooner rather than later but I'm not sure who's available at the minute.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I think that a lot of people expecting 8 or 9 players to be sold/leave/retire and the same amount to be brought in is unrealistic.

It's very rare for this to ever happen and even less common for it to actually work given the amount of time it will take for all the new arrivals to gel. Look at AC Milan this season, although admittedly some of the players they signed are quite poor but it still shows that wholesale changes take time to work.

My 2 pennies for what it's worth would be:
Darmian - sell to anyone in Italy that will have him back
Carrick - will retire
Shaw - I don't think it's ever going to work, cut the chord
Mata - Never been his biggest fan and doesn't really have a position in any system we play
Zlatan - Will go to America for his swansong

Players I'd like us to target:
Tierney - I am a Celtic fan and this guy is the real deal. Could be left back for 10+ years. Quick, strong, good in the tackle, gets up and down the pitch all day and has great delivery. I'd also prioritise left back over right back as Valencia could still do another season.
Pulisic - Would give us a much needed outlet on the right
Goretzka - Can perform most of the midfield roles and is available on a free
Griezmann - Jose and Woodward want that marquee name (please not Bale!!)

In addition to this I certainly wouldn't say no to Ozil on a free if the rumours are true and I would bring back Perreria and TFM into the squad after their loans. I also wouldn't be too upset to move on Smalling for reasonable money given we have decent depth at centre back.
I've only seen Tierney play a few times but he's looked good. Admittedly it's the SPL and half the Caf would look good in that league, but still.

Didn't he recently sign like a 32 year contract?

Suppose throwing £30m at Celtic would tempt them into selling, mind.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
We're in this mess because of absolutely dire decision making from several managers including Jose.
What mess? 2nd in the league, sailing through to the knockout stages of the CL, still in the league cup and with the best defensive record in the league coupled with the second best scoring record?

There's room for improvement, but to call it a mess is just hysteria. Which is nothing new for this place, granted.

frank lee madeer..

I think building a team is proving far more difficult than Jose imagined, its not something I associate with him. His method of changing tactics to suit the oppo make it even more difficult .
He brought in a talisman, zlatan, and a wow factor in pogba that got the fans purring , they didn't /haven't elevated us to a higher level tho.
Fan logic appears to be that if you give Jose a pot of gold he will win the league, because he makes great signings, I'm yet to be convinced that is true.

buckooo1978

Shaw is the most obvious one..... I don't see him playing any part

think Smalling might go in Summer and Darmian might join him with the right signings for us

one of Mhiki or Mata will go in Summer too I think

buckooo1978

Herrera - What's he actually good at? He annoys me more than anything. Wears his heart on his sleeve which is to be admired but not good enough I don't think.
Shaw - Clearly not going to work and several managers have questioned his mentality and attitude.
Mata - Love the guy but doesn't fit in our system
Ibra - Will go do his thing in the US.
Carrick - Retire I'd have thought

Wouldn't ditch Mhiki just yet. He's having a horrific spell but I'm hoping he can turn it back around. His confidence is shot though.

Not actually sure how much selling the above players will fetch in. I don't anticipate any big signings in January anyway. With the return of Ibra, Pogba and Rojo I think we will be in a fairly good state come January, just so long as we don't allow City to increase their 8 point lead.

I'd like to see a pacy right sided player come in sooner rather than later but I'm not sure who's available at the minute.
Herrera was our best midfielder last year. He's a very good all round player who reads the game well, can tackle, can follow a tactical plan, is a good passer with an eye for goal

the fact he's playing like dogshit is more down to form than ability

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I remember Porto selling Villas Boas to Chelsea by 15M€.
We could do the same with Mourinho, but ask for 50M€ to PSG. Would be fair deal. :D
If Jose goes, it almost certainly means no league title for the forseeable future.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Shaw is the most obvious one..... I don't see him playing any part

think Smalling might go in Summer and Darmian might join him with the right signings for us

one of Mhiki or Mata will go in Summer too I think
Shaw, is obviously going. He probably already has his bags packed and removal vans booked ;)
With Smalling - his name has been on the sale list since Jose arrived, but he never goes. My feeling is that he will stay, because we do need CBs and he isn't too bad.
Darmian - Jose seems to love him, giving him regular game time. And in highly defensive games, Darmian is actually pretty decent. He just can't attack. I think he'll stay.
Miki/Mata gone in the Summer - I think so, too.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think building a team is proving far more difficult than Jose imagined, its not something I associate with him. His method of changing tactics to suit the oppo make it even more difficult .
He brought in a talisman, zlatan, and a wow factor in pogba that got the fans purring , they didn't /haven't elevated us to a higher level tho.
Fan logic appears to be that if you give Jose a pot of gold he will win the league, because he makes great signings, I'm yet to be convinced that is true.
I’m yet to be convinced it’s untrue as he’s been hell of successful everywhere he’s been. I believe Jose is doing a magnificent job and being judged a little unfairly against Pep who has spent more and started with a far better squad of players (Augero Fernandinho KDB Sterling) all who are main stays still even after he has spent around another £500m. Pep has had the luxury of benching the players he bought to allow time to settle and the quality of his starting 11 does not drop. Imagine if Jose dropped Pogba Matic Lukaku or Bailley?

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Summer 2018

Keep (aside from the obvious): Blind, Young and Darmian for their versatility. Fellaini should have another year aswell. Mata still has a lot to offer.
Lindelof needs another season before he should be judged
Lingard is a great option to have as a squad player. As long as he's happy to play 25 - 35 games across all competitions

Sell: Smalling, Shaw and Herrera (all three should bring in decent money)

Retired/move to the US: Carrick and Zlatan.

Sign: 1 first choice right back
1 first choice left back
1 experienced centre back and 1 midfielder (who are happy to play 2nd choice in their respective positions.
1 striker as back up for Lukaku (Zlatan leaving)

As said on another thread, we don't need wholesale changes again.

buckooo1978

Shaw, is obviously going. He probably already has his bags packed and removal vans booked ;)
With Smalling - his name has been on the sale list since Jose arrived, but he never goes. My feeling is that he will stay, because we do need CBs and he isn't too bad.
Darmian - Jose seems to love him, giving him regular game time. And in highly defensive games, Darmian is actually pretty decent. He just can't attack. I think he'll stay.
Miki/Mata gone in the Summer - I think so, too.
yea I don't see an exodus soon.... the squad is too small

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is a thread on a team second In the league, and there's words like "mess" and people slating 50% of the squad.

Just have to chuckle at the lack of any sort of perspective.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
This is a thread on a team second In the league, and there's words like "mess" and people slating 50% of the squad.

No.10, Winger and Fullback would do nicely.

We have a squad that can push on in the next few season, Martial, Rashford, Pogba, Lukaku, Bailly are all not in their prime.

Andersons Dietician

Shaw
Darmian
Mata
Mkhitaryan

Have a feeling Jose would go something like that but would also offload Martial to fund a big signing.
Jesus could you imagine the backlash he would get if he sold Martial.

I would think Shaw is probably the only player he’d get a decent price for he’d be able to get rid of. He needs Darmian and he needs Herrrea and I honestly can’t see him getting the sort of quality of player that would be able to replace them in January.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
What mess? 2nd in the league, sailing through to the knockout stages of the CL, still in the league cup and with the best defensive record in the league coupled with the second best scoring record?

There's room for improvement, but to call it a mess is just hysteria. Which is nothing new for this place, granted.
If you really think being 2nd in the league 8 points behind the leaders and miles off their level is an amazing achievement then good luck to you. I just happen to believe this whole situation post SAF and even the latter parts of his years could have been handled so much better than what has happened in reality. So many players have passed us by, to see them at all our rivals is just depressing.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground

Our squad is still largely average.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense

Most of the fans here are slating the squad because we depend on one player to carry the whole team, we have spent millions since SAF left and we are depending on one player to carry the team. That player is Pogba and when he is injured like right now the whole team looks clueless when attacking.

Lougie86

Supports
Partick Thistle
I've only seen Tierney play a few times but he's looked good. Admittedly it's the SPL and half the Caf would look good in that league, but still.

Didn't he recently sign like a 32 year contract?

Suppose throwing £30m at Celtic would tempt them into selling, mind.
I know the SPL is a poor standard but I don’t think spurs fans worried about singing Modric straight from Croatia?

Tierney has turned in good performances in the champions league and at international level too.

Obviously nobody is a 100% promise to turn out good, there’s countless examples where it hasn’t worked out for whatever reason, but Tierney seems like the full package.

redIndianDevil

Smalling - a walking card IMO, he cannot defend against anyone unless he gets hold of their shirt or gives them a bear hug inside our box. The fact that he has escaped punishment so far is due to playing for United.

Darmian - will never succeed for us, he cannot even outperform a winger converted to a fullback. He doesn't have pace, dribbling or the crossing ability to be good option.

Blind - a jack of all trades option, again not quick enough or consistent enough in his delivery to play as a LB, doesn't have the physical presence to deal with PL attackers as a CB.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Smalling - a walking card IMO, he cannot defend against anyone unless he gets hold of their shirt or gives them a bear hug inside our box. The fact that he has escaped punishment so far is due to playing for United.

Darmian - will never succeed for us, he cannot even outperform a winger converted to a fullback. He doesn't have pace, dribbling or the crossing ability to be good option.

Blind - a jack of all trades option, again not quick enough or consistent enough in his delivery to play as a LB, doesn't have the physical presence to deal with PL attackers as a CB.
You really think United are protected by the refs (more so than other teams' CBs who love a shirt grab and a wrestle)?

redIndianDevil

You really think United are protected by the refs (more so than other teams' CBs who love a shirt grab and a wrestle)?
Not just United, I've seen City, Liverpool, Chelsea, recently Spurs' player given more leeway than say defenders of teams like WBA, Stoke, Burnley etc. The commentators and the pundits don't even say anything even if its blatantly seen on the replay. I think it happens across all leagues not just England, the big boys get a little help from the refs.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Not just United, I've seen City, Liverpool, Chelsea, recently Spurs' player given more leeway than say defenders of teams like WBA, Stoke, Burnley etc. The commentators and the pundits don't even say anything even if its blatantly seen on the replay. I think it happens across all leagues not just England, the big boys get a little help from the refs.
Maybe refs are slightly biased in favor of big teams. Commentators usually comment on Smalling's shirt tugging though.

automaticflare

Shaw, miki and either smalling/lindelof(tuanzebe is better than both)

Would have no issues with them all going.

Throw in Mata aswell even though I do like him as a player he doesn't suit us under Jose