Sell before you buy - so who is off?

NoPace

I think Blind will go. He's on pace for about a third of a full season in terms of Prem minutes and I could see him playing 2-3 times as much for a good side that needs depth at LB, LCB and DM or now that everyone plays 3 at the back there's really no reason for him not to be a starting LCB on a good team. A slower league like Serie A might suit him, too. He's 27, right in his prime.

Bestietom

Well there will definitely be some going out in January if we are to bring someone in. Shaw, and Darmian would be the most likely ones, but we could be in for a surprise, if he wants to bring in a Top Top signing.

If Herrera and Fellaini goes, as the media are predicting, then we need to bring in 2 midfielders. ( Box to Box I Hope) If Mourinho intends to play 3-5-2 then he must look at wing/backs also. Perisic would most likely come into the reckoning again.

Scarlet Spider

I think only De Gea, Bailly, Rashford and Pogba should be kept at all costs. The rest of the squad would be easily replaced.

Borden

Over the next couple of transfer windows I’d get rid of:

Mkhitaryan
Mata
Carrick
Fellaini
Darmian
Shaw
One of Smalling/Lindelöf (the latter deserves more time, but if it’s obvious it isn’t working by the end of the season we should cut our losses)

Buy two attackers (one playmaker and one RW), a LB, a RB, and a CM. And recall Pereira.

Last edited:

United Pro

The one who got the doping ban?

I saw a game he played in for Brazil... bang average though it was only one game

Unless he had an eu passport I'm not sure he would get a work permit
Yeah that's the one. Replacing Fellaini with him would make little sense.

Hed Zitin

Depends what we do with the second striker/ number ten, because my god do we need someone to do a whole lot more than Mata and Mkhi. Both of them could be binned if we replace them.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea

I saw a game he played in for Brazil... bang average though it was only one game

Anyone that a Prem team wants to sign will get a work permit.

iKnowNothing

Sell before we buy? Surely the £92m buyout of Greizmann ends any chance of getting him if we're interested.
I think it's more in the sense of being financially responsible. Jose needs to clear out some who he thinks are deadwood before spending more.

It's not always about splurging - even if some of the deadwood results in a £20-30 mil revenue plus getting some of their wages out, it's overall a better strategy for the club financially.

Thunderhead

Supports
City

Was decent enough against City in the CL

poacher

Has anyone here watched much of Shakhtar's Fred?
What kind of Brazilian name is Fred? Shouldn't it be Fredinaldo? I would have thought if Jose wants a like for like replacement for Fellaini then Savic would be perfect. Savic is a big imposing brute with great aerial ability and unlike Fellaini has some technical skills.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Since when ?
It's not absolute but work permits can be granted due to exceptional skill etc, unless the rules have changed. If a top side wants to sign someone for a big fee then they will almost definitely meet the exceptional skill requirement.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
It's not absolute but work permits can be granted due to exceptional skill etc, unless the rules have changed. If a top side wants to sign someone for a big fee then they will almost definitely meet the exceptional skill requirement.
Other clubs seem to find a way around it a lot of the time but we(United) always seem to struggle to get players out of South America for some reason, we even had to appeal to get Kleberson a World up winner to Old Trafford a permit, it's probably why we didn't push harder for Gabriel Jesus.

JASR

Official Redcafe Union Rep for City Posters Rights
Supports
City
The two sources I saw indicate City's net spend is higher than ours for this summer:
https://talksport.com/football/ever...net-spend-summer-transfer-window-170901252791
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...ke-net-profit-just-five-premier-league-clubs/
And if you go by 2017, it's not even close as City purchased Jesus in the January window.
City did net spend more.
Just comparing the 16/17 & 17/18 figures on transfermarkt and at most it’s a Lindelof.
So diddly squat.

Plus as pointed out by other (United supporting) posters on many threads, City bought numerous young players to replace specific problems in an aging squad (also released/sold - hence net spend is down) whereas United generally bought a few players to cover a small proportion of their issues. (And sold/released hardly anyone).

Net spend is bollox though.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
City did net spend more.
Just comparing the 16/17 & 17/18 figures on transfermarkt and at most it’s a Lindelof.
So diddly squat.

Plus as pointed out by other (United supporting) posters on many threads, City bought numerous young players to replace specific problems in an aging squad (also released/sold - hence net spend is down) whereas United generally bought a few players to cover a small proportion of their issues. (And sold/released hardly anyone).

Net spend is bollox though.
Yes, agree. We unfortunately do not have the capacity, like City does, to replace our squad every couple of seasons. They can buy as many players as they want, we cannot insofar as we are constrained by the need to deliver shareholder value whereas city are not.

With that said we have shot ourselves in the foot with some dire recruitment, particularly summer of 15/16.

JASR

Official Redcafe Union Rep for City Posters Rights
Supports
City
We unfortunately do not have the capacity, like City does, to replace our squad every couple of seasons.
United... doesn’t have the capacity to buy anyone? Oh dear.
Perhaps someone should go over the accounts a bit and find out where all the accumulated decades revenue goes?

It’s only in the last 2 season’s that the general City squad assembled from 2008-2011 has been replaced (see last point)

They can buy as many players as they want, we cannot insofar as we are constrained by the need to deliver shareholder value whereas city are not.
If that was even remotely true then City would have Messi, Ronaldo, Bale, Giggsy, Uncle Tom cobley and his assorted dancing cats, and win everything. (Also See next point)

You are constrained by shareholder value, and dividends, but after 2 decades of living at the top table, it seems a little odd, no? But you are of course not a cash cow for non football supporting owners debt empires...

With that said we have shot ourselves in the foot with some dire recruitment, particularly summer of 15/16.
Try the summer 12/13 and 14/15 of City for really poor recruitment.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Cos he is fecking shite so far and we didn't need him in the first place
Tuanzebe is gonna be a super player we need to make space for him
At present, I would agree that when he puts on the MUFC shirt, it's like seeing a deer in headlights. But I like to give a player 1 season to prove themselves.
It's too early to give up on him, though it is not looking good.
With regards to Tuanzebe - we don't actually know how good he will turn out to be. He could be as good as Shaw and Januzaj. :p

I remember when Fellaini was linked to a move to Turkey in the Summer.
The tabloids made up a story.
Jose emphatically stated that there is more chance of Jose moving to Turkey, than Fellaini.
I think the same thing applies now and Mirror has made up this story.

minoo-utd

Sell before we buy, in January? Or at the end of the season? For me I'd sell, Blind, Darmian,Smalling,Lingard I know he just renewed his contract. Let go of Carrick unfortunately seems he is finished, Shaw, Mkhitaryan as he seems not going to make it in the premier league.

Bring 1st choice RB better than Valencia please.
L.B.
R.W.
M.F in case of an injury happen to Pogba or Matic.
Num 10 ( play maker )

smallred

youd assume Mata and Shaw are the first two on the chopping block anyway.

both are almost out of contract too though i think the club can enable an extention and then sell them.

herrera, Daley and Fellaini are all on last few months of their contract also so wed get f*ck all for all 5. i guess its a wages thing though.

frank lee madeer..

If he has to sell, I think ddg & martial could be possibilities. I don't want them to leave, but he aint gonna raise much selling old , end of contract players.

Scarlet Spider

I don't understand why there isn't more fury at the Glazers if this is true. The world's most profitable football club has to sell before they can buy?
That is insane if true.

Kapardin

I don't understand why there isn't more fury at the Glazers if this is true. The world's most profitable football club has to sell before they can buy?
That is insane if true.
Exactly. Especially since we badly need upgrades in attack.

I understand United is a business for them and we have some average players on high wages, but surely the situation can't be so dire that we can't give Jose cash to buy a #10 or a midfielder at the least in Jan if available.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
If Jose goes, it almost certainly means no league title for the forseeable future.
He will go, sooner or later. We all know that. I still think he should stay one more season. He might not win the title, but he will leave a competitive mindset on this club, like happened in Madrid.

poacher

That is insane if true.
I hate the Glazers for leeches that they are however I would say in their defence that Jose has spent 300m since he started and there are still holes at LB, RB, AM and RW that still need filling. Jose could have spent the 300m on cheaper options rather than spend half the transfer budget on just two players. Yes, the Glazers should back the manager more and give him the funds he needs to build a title-challenging squad, however, Jose should also be able to assemble a squad without having to spend 500m. Jose should also clear out some of the deadwood in the squad if only to reduce our bloated wage bill.

Bwuk

I still think we have too many CBs.

Jones, Smalling, Bailly, Rojo, Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Blind as cover, is far too many imo. Especially if we play 4-2-3-1. Perhaps a bit more justifable with a back 3.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I have said so many times in the past few years, we have an abundance of 'squad' players, but very few exceptional first XI players.
At this moment in time, I don't disagree with the board that its time to have a trim up and clear some of the deadwood.

our LB position, what an example...!!
We have Shaw, Blind, Young, Darmian even Rojo that have played there, when none of them have cemented their place.
Why do we need 5 players for 1 position, when none of those 5 players has proven that they should be an automatic choice for the first XI
Quite honestly, you could sell any 3 of those players in exchange for 1 quality replacement, and you'd still have a back-up player in reserve.

So for me, any permutation of these players can leave, and be improved upon in the transfer window..
Jones - Too injury prone, just cannot be relied upon, but he has been very good so far this season.
Smalling - Decent squad player, but might be considered expendable.
Darmian - Mediocre at best
Shaw - Never lived up to expectation, and a whole string of managers question his attitude.
Blind - Not a defender, not a midfielder?
Young - Decent squad player, but might be considered expendable.
Carrick - Not contributing, time to retire.
Fellaini - We should have a much better plan B, than hoof it up to the big bloke with the elbows.
Herrera - A good player for us, but might be considered expendable.
Mata - A cracking little player, but might be considered expendable.
Mkhitaryan - Still struggling to come to terms with the PL, might be considered expendable.

If its a case of raising funds for transfers, that's a completely different situation to clearing the deadwood, then you are looking at Martial or De Gea to generate the most funds... :(

tomaldinho1

Sell in Jan:

Jones - I've officially given up on his body's ability to stay fit, sell.
Mata - feel he doesn't suit Mou's style and still should command a gppd transfer fee. Sell.
Smalling - ok defender, poor technically and has never really reached elite level despite continuous playing time. Sell.

Sell in summer unless they establish themselves:

Shaw, Mkhi, Darmian, Blind

el3mel

Sell in Jan:

Jones - I've officially given up on his body's ability to stay fit, sell.
Mata - feel he doesn't suit Mou's style and still should command a gppd transfer fee. Sell.
Smalling - ok defender, poor technically and has never really reached elite level despite continuous playing time. Sell.

Sell in summer unless they establish themselves:

Shaw, Mkhi, Darmian, Blind
You want us to sell 2 defenders of the 5 we have in January ?!

Ace of Spades

I don't think we should chop and change the squad too much as I think we have a pretty good squad overall. Team chemistry is important and too many changes in one window is never good.

That being said I think we do have some deadwood, and we need to get rid of a few players.

Darmian, Shaw are definitely players who are not good enough. Carrick is probably going to retire at the end of this season.

Valencia, Young, Fellaini, Herrera, Mkhitaryan, Mata, Lingard have been decent to good players, but can be upgraded upon.

Also, probably need sell some CBs. No idea why we brought Lindelof, as we already have four really good CBs, and young players like TFM and Tuanzebe who could easily make it here. Unless we are going to play with 3 CBs, we probably need to sell one or two.

RedDevil@84

I don't think we should chop and change the squad too much as I think we have a pretty good squad overall. Team chemistry is important and too many changes in one window is never good.

That being said I think we do have some deadwood, and we need to get rid of a few players.

Darmian, Shaw are definitely players who are not good enough. Carrick is probably going to retire at the end of this season.

Valencia, Young, Fellaini, Herrera, Mkhitaryan, Mata, Lingard have been decent to good players, but can be upgraded upon.

Also, probably need sell some CBs. No idea why we brought Lindelof, as we already have four really good CBs, and young players like TFM and Tuanzebe who could easily make it here. Unless we are going to play with 3 CBs, we probably need to sell one or two.
Huh?