Selling Fred was a mistake

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

It looks as though ETH wants to change the way we play out of possession this season. Pressing much higher up the pitch. Which, ironically, Fred is very good at but he’s way too chaotic in possession. The idea is, presumably, that Mount can also press high (which the stats seem to back up) and be a lot more careful in possession. I’m not quite sure how Amrabat fits in but he seems very well rounded. He didn’t defend much in Serie A (hence the poor stats) but he seemed to do a lot for Morocco in the WC.

Either way, it seems as though ETH wants all his CMs to be consistently comfortable in possession. Which is fair enough. And doesn’t really leave a place for Fred (obviously McT needs binning off as well)
This is a key observation. One could argue that pressing isn't so much about running (after all, the likes of Xavi and Iniesta were excellent at it) as it is about positioning and reading the game. But that's not the point. It's not just about him being chaotic in possession. It's not like he's playing alongside players whose prime concern is to treat the ball well. On the contrary, his supposed biggest strength is being the "cleaner" behind them. The biggest indicator for the need to change is that we want to use high pressing as a mechanism to create chances in transition. Not just to circulate the ball. In this sense, being able to press means absolutely nothing if your subsequent first touch and the pass you pick, right after you regain possession, isn't the correct one. It nullifies all the previous work you did. That's where Fred will fail you most of the time, and that's also where Mount comes in (at least, that's the idea).

Litch

This is a key observation. One could argue that pressing isn't so much about running (after all, the likes of Xavi and Iniesta were excellent at it) as it is about positioning and reading the game. But that's not the point. It's not just about him being chaotic in possession. It's not like he's playing alongside players whose prime concern is to treat the ball well. On the contrary, his supposed biggest strength is being the "cleaner" behind them. The biggest indicator for the need to change is that we want to use high pressing as a mechanism to create chances in transition. Not just to circulate the ball. In this sense, being able to press means absolutely nothing if your subsequent first touch and the pass you pick, right after you regain possession, isn't the correct one. It nullifies all the previous work you did. That's where Fred will fail you most of the time, and that's also where Mount comes in (at least, that's the idea).
Absolutely right and those things are correct IF he was a starter. You can offer a forensic view of all the bench players and their failings. For me, for what he offers and lets not get amnesia that we havent seen it in some big games, can you replace him for 10m with someone who is happy to sit on the bench for a season?

Mount isnt replacing Fred unless someone is telling me we just spent 60m for a bench player?

IRELANDUNITED

that’s what we do, 2 games? Awful signing!
Seems to be the way on here alright. It’s bad enough the media jumping on our players back after 1 or 2 bad games but to see our own fans doing it is depressing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Liverpool fan’s writing off a signing after a couple of poor performances. How hard is it to give our players the time and opportunity they deserve.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
That was actually a big weakness of Fred. Especially on “bad Fred” days. He had a habit of being too honest, getting out-muscled and forlornly chasing an opposition player half the pitch when he could have stopped the attack at source. For some reason, this seemed to happen repeatedly every time we played Leicester.

Still think he’s badly missed. A season with no “good Fred” performances will leave us a lot weaker, unless someone new (or young) can step up. McTominay won’t, that’s for sure.
Oh I agree, that wasn't a strength of his and the hallmark of "bad Fred". But those headless chicken pursuits reflected some desire to right his wrong. We've not even had that the last few matches. Bad Fred shouldn't be the goal but that feels like a step above what we've been treated with lately.

Hopefully Amrabat can do to our midfield this season what Martinez did for our back line last year, inject some new energy and tenacity. Casemiro had that going until the suspensions, the midfield really has not looked the same since.

Yagami

Good post resistant
It’s not the correct take at all. Not until Mount (and Amrabat) have at least had a chance to play a few games for us. Writing new signings off after a couple of games (or before they’ve even kicked a ball!) is never a correct take.
I'll come back to this post once the season is done.

garelo

Selling Fred was not a mistake, hes done at this level heck he barely play full 90 mins last season, hes irrelevant but keeping McT when someone offered us 30m was not only a mistake but an idiotic sabotage act.

Wing Attack Plan R

Playing with Fred is like having a Golden Retriever in your team: great at running around, chasing the opponents, disrupting their plans, but useless if/when he actually wins the ball. Fred had the personality of a Golden Retriever too, buoyant, lovable, happy, so people should probably go buy a dog if they miss him.

davidmichael

Didn’t you just describe Amrabat?
Possibly but the intention was to mean someone of a highter tier, Amrabat may become a great signing but I don’t see him being an indispensable player which is what we should have been looking for.

RedIan

Fred was bloody awful 90% of the time. Shocking passer, constantly caught in possessions, short memory. Best thing we did getting rid.

Tyrion

Selling Fred was the correct thing.

Problem is that our recruitment is so bad any new player will likely also be bad. Ots why I don't really care about replacing some of our players. Yeah sure, Martial is a lazy sh!t but if he's replaced, it'll be with another lazy sh!t.

Steve 007

You can say the same about Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno, McTominay. There isnt a midfielder in the team that hasn't been dominated and we got battered
You can say the same about McT, I don’t know if you are aware, Casimeiro has 5 European cups and was a regular starter. Bruno can’t be compared to Fred

Levenstein

While he might be not the level of United, he definitely is twice the level McTominay is. He also suits the way we play with his energy and pressing. Also his quick transitioning is very good. Should have kept him as a squad player and sold McTominay for higher price.

His attitude was always great and we need that in the dressing room.

Maybe Fred was ambitious and wanted game time. Something the likes of Maguire and McTominay should be thinking about.

DarkXaero

While he might be not the level of United, he definitely is twice the level McTominay is. He also suits the way we play with his energy and pressing. Also his quick transitioning is very good. Should have kept him as a squad player and sold McTominay for higher price.

His attitude was always great and we need that in the dressing room.

Maybe Fred was ambitious and wanted game time. Something the likes of Maguire and McTominay should be thinking about.
It has been alluded many times that this was the case.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Selling Fred was not a mistake. He was a 30 years old player whose game was based on work rate. It was only a matter of time before that would decline. Our mistake was buying Casemiro (same reason) and Mount. The latter is the typical United's strategy of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole

ti vu

Selling Fred was the correct thing.

Problem is that our recruitment is so bad any new player will likely also be bad. Ots why I don't really care about replacing some of our players. Yeah sure, Martial is a lazy sh!t but if he's replaced, it'll be with another lazy sh!t.
Not true if ETH still picks the transfer targets like he has. All our signings under ETH seems to have great work ethic or discipline. Question lies with quality, and suitability for the league, roles in the team.

cyril C

Selling Fred was not a mistake. Not getting rid of VDB, Maguire, is

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Playing with Fred is like having a Golden Retriever in your team: great at running around, chasing the opponents, disrupting their plans, but useless if/when he actually wins the ball. Fred had the personality of a Golden Retriever too, buoyant, lovable, happy, so people should probably go buy a dog if they miss him.
This is gas. Imagine someone calling Kante or fabinhio but with goals and assists a golden retriever. You guys are blind. He wasn’t a dm. Nobdoy can play beside McT the invisible man and look classy. Yes he’s not a press resistant one man dm playmaker and a box too box but by god he tried and also he’s been our best player in lots of our best wins too. I guess it’s hard to admit when you’ve got this point of view that he’s just a shit player. He’s class but erratic trying to do everything. The only guy in a Utd shirt who gave a shite surrounded by mercenaries for most of his time here
Better signing than Pogba.

CloneMC16

I agree, but I also think we need to see more of our new midfielders first. I didn't want Mount, but he has barely played. We need more time to come to the conclusion that this transfer was definitely a mistake. Amrabat has only played for 5 minutes. Hannibal and Manioo are in the squad as well. If these players end up performing, selling him will have been fine.

Would have much preferred to keep him over McTominay and Van de Beek, though. Neither of them have given anything close to what Fred has over the last 3 seasons.

Wing Attack Plan R

This is gas. Imagine someone calling Kante or fabinhio but with goals and assists a golden retriever. You guys are blind. He wasn’t a dm. Nobdoy can play beside McT the invisible man and look classy. Yes he’s not a press resistant one man dm playmaker and a box too box but by god he tried and also he’s been our best player in lots of our best wins too. I guess it’s hard to admit when you’ve got this point of view that he’s just a shit player. He’s class but erratic trying to do everything. The only guy in a Utd shirt who gave a shite surrounded by mercenaries for most of his time here
Better signing than Pogba.
Anyone saying Fred is like Kane and Fabinho is delusional. I don't remember these "lots of our best wins" when he was the best player. Maybe he was MOTM once in 5 years? Fred scored 8 goals in 139 appearances over 5 years, wow, fecking impressive. Fred is not class and I am feckING ECSTATIC he is gone.

ROFLUTION

Anyone saying Fred is like Kane and Fabinho is delusional. I don't remember these "lots of our best wins" when he was the best player. Maybe he was MOTM once in 5 years? Fred scored 8 goals in 139 appearances over 5 years, wow, fecking impressive. Fred is not class and I am feckING ECSTATIC he is gone.
Literally googled Fred+motm and at least saw 3 motm on the first page (official ones)

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He needed selling eventually but I rate him higher than Mctominay. I think he’s a better player and at least offers something. Mctominay and even VDB don’t. The mistake was keeping them… but Fred probably showed more ambition and wanted to play football so was happy to leave. The others are happy sitting on the bench for a big pay check.

Mercurial

He needed selling eventually but I rate him higher than Mctominay. I think he’s a better player and at least offers something. Mctominay and even VDB don’t. The mistake was keeping them… but Fred probably showed more ambition and wanted to play football so was happy to leave. The others are happy sitting on the bench for a big pay check.
This, some of our players care for personal wealth or status way more than playing. Mc T is nailed in his NT no matter what.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If we knew that Mount was gonna be injured the it was a mistake. Because he became a surplus after Mount joined. Although I prefer him compared to Scott McTominay.

Last edited:

ROFLUTION

congratulations? and 3 equals "lots of our best wins"? Okay mate. Have a nice day.
Well with that attitude I take it you'll never listen but: He was (low and behold) one of the best in our away win against PSG. Didn't get the Motm however.
Then he was Motm against Barcelona (2-1)
Then he was motm against City (2-1)

The notion that he couldnt do it against good opposition is bullshit. He wasnt Kante in his prime, sure, but he was still a good player.

I think it was his second season, he had a streak of so many great games where he ran the midfield and was everywhere. Unfortunately that wasn't every day at United. We needed to get rid to build something new, but Fred has been scapegoated enough. We really dont know if Amrabat will be better, but we'll have to try.

EdinburghDevil

I don't think it was a mistake and I think it will lead to more playing time for the development of Mainoo and Hannibal which can only be a good thing. Maybe some short term pain given the injuries we have had and the amount of time it took to get the Amrabat deal done.

Agree with what a lot of people are saying, I'd have moved on McT and VdB first before Fred. I guess we needed to balance the books and Fred was willing to leave.

Wing Attack Plan R

Well with that attitude I take it you'll never listen but: He was (low and behold) one of the best in our away win against PSG. Didn't get the Motm however.
Then he was Motm against Barcelona (2-1)
Then he was motm against City (2-1)

The notion that he couldnt do it against good opposition is bullshit. He wasnt Kante in his prime, sure, but he was still a good player.

I think it was his second season, he had a streak of so many great games where he ran the midfield and was everywhere. Unfortunately that wasn't every day at United. We needed to get rid to build something new, but Fred has been scapegoated enough. We really dont know if Amrabat will be better, but we'll have to try.
I watched Fred stink out the joint for 5 years. The odd good performance doesn’t change that. Fref was never good enough for a side chasing trophies. The fact he was a fixture in our midfield is just another indication of how far we had fallen.

Last edited: