Sergej Milinković-Savić

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
But he can't run.
:)

But in terms of speed and agility, he is not the best. Same as a younger Matic. Probably why he is still at Lazio.

I’m not sold on Savic, but he could be well suited if EtH are looking for a 6 that «turns into a 10» when we are in possession. I do think he would be a huge upgrade, but I’m not sure compared to the best teams in the league.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

But in terms of speed and agility, he is not the best. Same as a younger Matic. Probably why he is still at Lazio.

I’m not sold on Savic, but he could be well suited if EtH are looking for a 6 that «turns into a 10» when we are in possession. I do think he would be a huge upgrade, but I’m not sure compared to the best teams in the league.
Koulibaly was at Napoli all these years. He was still considered one of the best in the world.

gorky_utd

Been linked to a load of players today. I wonder why that is?
Anyone fancy a bet we don’t sign another player after Rabiot?
Ofcourse not. This SMS is nothing but media spin. It will be rabiot and a cheap attacking option.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Covering distance is not just a function of speed, but also of workrate and positioning.

He may cover enough distance, but when physically imposing opposing midfields are pressing you, it is very beneficial to have the agility, dribbling and speed to get out of it. I am not sure if he does.

reelworld

Let's focus on being a good team first. SMS will be a good step in that direction

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He will press like ETH wants and he's a step up to all our current midfield. So why not.

ChorltonReds

He's completely different to FDJ so I'm dubious that we're actually in for him. But I'd be happy with this signing. A good central midfield improvement and a good age.

Posh Red

Let's focus on being a good team first. SMS will be a good step in that direction
I agree with this logic. We cannot pull the best players in now, and realistically we’re better off looking for incremental improvements where possible over the next year so, in my opinion. Liverpool would not have been a viable destination for Thiago when Klopp first arrived. It’s not a million miles away from the de Jong situation in that respect.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
I agree with this logic. We cannot pull the best players in now, and realistically we’re better off looking for incremental improvements where possible over the next year so, in my opinion. Liverpool would not have been a viable destination for Thiago when Klopp first arrived. It’s not a million miles away from the de Jong situation in that respect.
And I think that's part of the issue here - people we so psyched on FDJ that alternatives now seem like a let down. I am all for this guy - he is the most exciting alternative to FDJ that we've been linked with and is an excellent footballer. As you said, we need to build a team, and signings like SMS would massively improve us.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Don’t think there’s much in this to be honest we’re going to be getting linked to nearly every midfielder in the world until the de Jong situation is done. Everyone knows we’re desperate for midfielders as it’s a weakness in our squad..

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Yeah let’s take our time to decide if we want to put in a bid. Let’s wait for another couple of years before we do that.
United as a whole, indecisive rubbish in the markets and let other top clubs buy players.

It's the Glazers that finally sanction these moves honestly, because changing people in charge below them results in the same strategies.

BestRed

Be a good signing this lad, would really send out a message.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Can you maybe explain a bit if and how he could work for us? Keep hearing that he's pretty adventurous in his positioning, so might get into Eriksen's/Bruno's way
Its difficult to describe him as he's quite a unique player TBH. The closest thing I can think of is Fellaini but that only apply if you open a garage, there is a Lada and a Ferrari there and you conclude that they are both cars.

But let's go in detail.

Physically he's quite imposing. We're talking about a 6ft3 beast here. He knows how to use that physicality quite well. If I am allowed to stereotype in a positive way then I'd say he's got that Serbian "Vidic" like streak in him which means that he won't allow anyone to bully him with the ball. If we have a look at statistics he's last year Serie A 3rd best player in duels won and the 6th best player in aerial duels won. His work rate is also amazing. Last year he was the second most hardworking player in the Serie A after Brozovic and the 3rd in terms of blocking passes. He's also Lazio's no 1 man in terms of ball recovery and fouls committed.

That's were the similarities with Fellaini stop. Offensively The guy is 4th in last year's Serie A assist list with 11 assist. 2nd and 3rd have just 1 assist more then him. He is also the 2nd most goal prolific midfielder in the Serie A with 11 goals. The guy has a knack of scoring important goals. In fact last season he scored goals against Juve, Roma (derby) and Inter. He's also blessed with great technique, something he used efficiently rather then what Pogba usually does. The guy is the Serie A 7th most successful passer and the 3rd in terms of passes made. The guy is quite mobile and he's nowhere near as slow as people make him to be.

Is he an alternative to De Jong? The answer is no. Milinkovic Savic can run and press but he doesn't have that sniper hollywood pass that the Dutch man has. His completed passing percentage is at a disappointing 82% which is low compared to the likes of De Jong, Nevez and Ruiz (at 90%+) but is better then Mc'Sauce' (67%), Jordan Henderson (71%) and Fred (81%) TBH considering his workrate and his eye for goal he would be wasted in a deep position.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Its difficult to describe him as he's quite a unique player TBH. The closest thing I can think of is Fellaini but that only apply if you open a garage, there is a Lada and a Ferrari there and you conclude that they are both cars.

But let's go in detail.

Physically he's quite imposing. We're talking about a 6ft3 beast here. He knows how to use that physicality quite well. If I am allowed to stereotype in a positive way then I'd say he's got that Serbian "Vidic" like streak in him which means that he won't allow anyone to bully him with the ball. If we have a look at statistics he's last year Serie A 3rd best player in duels won and the 6th best player in aerial duels won. His work rate is also amazing. Last year he was the second most hardworking player in the Serie A after Brozovic and the 3rd in terms of blocking passes. He's also Lazio's no 1 man in terms of ball recovery and fouls committed.

That's were the similarities with Fellaini stop. Offensively The guy is 4th in last year's Serie A assist list with 11 assist. 2nd and 3rd have just 1 assist more then him. He is also the 2nd most goal prolific midfielder in the Serie A with 11 goals. The guy has a knack of scoring important goals. In fact last season he scored goals against Juve, Roma (derby) and Inter. He's also blessed with great technique, something he used efficiently rather then what Pogba usually does. The guy is the Serie A 7th most successful passer and the 3rd in terms of passes made. The guy is quite mobile and he's nowhere near as slow as people make him to be.

Is he an alternative to De Jong? The answer is no. Milinkovic Savic can run and press but he doesn't have that sniper hollywood pass that the Dutch man has. His completed passing percentage is at a disappointing 82% which is low compared to the likes of De Jong, Nevez and Ruiz (at 90%+) but is better then Mc'Sauce' (67%), Jordan Henderson (71%) and Fred (81%) TBH considering his workrate and his eye for goal he would be wasted in a deep position.
Great summary, thank you! I'm on board, if we can't get De Jong, we should keep our streak of mean Serbians!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We've literally been linked with this chap for years, dating all the way back to Mourinho's time and yet he's still at Lazio. Pretty telling that no?

Redcy

We've literally been linked with this chap for years, dating all the way back to Mourinho's time and yet he's still at Lazio. Pretty telling that no?
Yeah I’m not buying the links. Not without any evidence he would come or they would sell.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
We will get him regardless. We need to have a Serb in our squad now that matic has left. An underwritten rule.

Mainoldo

Don't know how I feel about this video to be honest.. With so much time on the ball McT would probably look good too.
He had 10 seconds on Sunday. He couldn’t dribble and ended up getting a yellow card :lol:

I beg to differ. The technical ability is miles different. But I agree he won’t get that space in the EPL. So hopefully we still get De Jong.