Sergej Milinkovic Savic

Canagel

Never seen him but hope is isn't another stiff as we have too many of them. A team of amazonians is nice but between Pogba, Matic and others I'm not surprised we're near the bottom of the distance covered column.

The height doesn't even seem to be helping in defending set pieces
Yep. We need more creative midfielders with low centre of gravity capable of carrying the ball instead of adding more problems to our already slow midfield. It's not helping the intensity and our movement in attack so I don't understand this preference of height and physicality. We take ages to move the ball quickly and efficiently through the midfield and we should looking to rectify that with first a DM who can dictate tempo with his passing and distribution and also be able to resist pressure so we can build quick attacks and a secondly a number 10 with low centre of gravity, quick feet and good passing to be that link between midfield and attack.

Last edited:

Silas

He'll most likely be an improvement, but I still don't think he'll be a good fit unless we also bring in a DLP. Who'll dictate the tempo in the middle of the park otherwise?

Carl S Bridge

I think many of you forget what Carrick is good at. Carrick recycles possession quickly and accurately to forward players in better positions.... That's what we're missing this year. Matic sometimes does this but no slight on him, he often does this far to slowly in contrast to Carrick. We need a cm whose first idea is to pass forward between the lines instantly. We're far to slow, static and stale. Easy to read. We need to replace this sort of player first and foremost. This will stop sanchez, Mata and martial dropping so deep

Last edited:

::sonny::

The 80 million fee and the rumours of a deal agreed originated from The Sun, do people actually believe it to be true !? :confused:
I don't think we have the money to spend 80 million on one player when we don't even have one proper RB or RW
And even if we do, we should spend the money on someone who is more suited to our style

Edit : just read the Sun's 'Exclusive', they seem pretty certain that this is happening.
Also they are running this headline :
SAVI MOVE
Who is Sergej Milinkovic-Savic? Manchester United’s new 6ft4 Serbian midfield ‘sergeant’ signed from Lazio

Man I wish I had a job where I could do and say whatever I want and get paid for it
The last scoop of english press has been Ardiles to Tottenham (1978)

finneh

Talk of asking extremely dumb questions. Who is arguing about replacing the likes of Carrick with any world class player of any role?
... merely replacing a 'non performing asset' with a "performing one". Merely makes you as you should be. Not more. Its like exchanging one card for another. He'd rather replace a card and on to it.
I can't see anywhere where you refer to the quality of the replacement. You infer that it's a numbers game and that our squad won't be improved if Fellaini and Carrick are replaced by even world class players.

They'll be replaced by two contributing central midfielders and our squad will be much better for it, as we'll have 5 midfielders we can rely on instead of 3.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think many of you forget what Carrick is good at. Carrick recycles possession quickly and accurately to forward players in better positions.... That's what we're missing this year. Matic sometimes does this but no slight on him, he often does this far to slowly in contrast to Carrick. We need a cm whose first idea is to pass forward between the lines instantly. We're far to slow, static and stale. Easy to read. We need to replace this sort of player first and foremost. This will stop sanchez, Mata and martial dropping so deep
Fred does that very well.

goin4glory

I like the look of him and it makes sense we want a partner for Pogba is a 4-3-3 but has anyone reliable actually linked us with him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I agree. Matic is a key starting player, Pogba is in the team, so really only room for one more who'd be a starter.
My thoughts as well, especially if Fellaini stays and McTominay continues his progress. We buy a top midfielder to replace Carrick then turn our sights towards FBs and an attacker. Ultimately, we are going nowhere next year until we buy a player who can contribute 20 goals or more to offset the load on Lukaku.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
My thoughts as well, especially if Fellaini stays and McTominay continues his progress. We buy a top midfielder to replace Carrick then turn our sights towards FBs and an attacker. Ultimately, we are going nowhere next year until we buy a player who can contribute 20 goals or more to offset the load on Lukaku.
Isn't that what Sanchez is here to do?

Inter Yer Nan

I really want Griezmann even though I think he's Barca bound. Sounds like this lad gets a lot of goals from midfield and perhaps free up Pogba more to chip in some more goals. A settled Sanchez will likely score quite a bit too.

.........................De God............................

Meunier.........Bailly...........Smalling......Sandro

...........................Matic.........................

Milinkovic-Savic......................Pogba........

.......Griezmann.....................Sanchez.......

.........................Lukaku..............................

Something like that gives us pace, power, creativity and goals though a more controlling midfielder could be ideal Would cost us around $300m in fee's though but maybe we make $100m from outbound players.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I really want Griezmann even though I think he's Barca bound. Sounds like this lad gets a lot of goals from midfield and perhaps free up Pogba more to chip in some more goals. A settled Sanchez will likely score quite a bit too.

Something like that gives us pace, power, creativity and goals though a more controlling midfielder could be ideal Would cost us around $300m in fee's though but maybe we make $100m from outbound players.
That's one hell of a lineup. Make it happen.

Silas

None of our front three would be able to beat a man.

Silas

I don't think he can deliver on his Arsenal performance of a few years ago. We would be extremely fortunate to get 20 goals out of him next year (15 is more realistic).
In the league or in all competitions?

Silas

All comps
I'd hope for more than 15 when, this season, Martial, Rashford and Lingard have shown they're capable of getting fairly close to that amount without being undisputed starters, which he will be. Unless he gets a good number of assists (15+), I'd be disappointed. Off-topic though.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
The 80 million fee and the rumours of a deal agreed originated from The Sun, do people actually believe it to be true !? :confused:
I don't think we have the money to spend 80 million on one player when we don't even have one proper RB or RW
And even if we do, we should spend the money on someone who is more suited to our style
Have you seen our financials? We are one of the few teams who can afford that kind of money. Also suited more to our style? What exactly is that and how long have you been working as a scout?

Inter Yer Nan

I just hope he doesn't catch that illness that seems to turn formerly great players into overrated, overpaid panic buys the second they sign for us.
The Manchester United curse. Perpetrated by anti-United media, taken as gospel for the football fans/rival fans that can't think for themselves and then agreed upon by a large number of our own fans.

I swear if the Internet was as live and kicking back in 1999 we'd have been writing of our squad in the summer of 1998.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The Manchester United curse. Perpetrated by anti-United media, taken as gospel for the football fans/rival fans that can't think for themselves and then agreed upon by a large number of our own fans.

I swear if the Internet was as live and kicking back in 1999 we'd have been writing of our squad in the summer of 1998.
I distinctly remember listening to TalkSports that Summer and hearing them say we needed a Batistuta or Kluivert.

"Manchester United will never win anything in Europe with Andy Cole and [scornful tone] Ole Gunnar Solskjaer".

Ole :drool:

Alabaster Codify7

And if that was the case, many of them/us would have been force-fed our words.
This team hasn't force-fed anyone anything.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
And if that was the case, many of them/us would have been force-fed our words.
This team hasn't force-fed anyone anything.
Don't think most have it in them I'm afraid.

To be honest, it's a widespread thing. I just don't see as much character in the game as there used to be. Not at the top level.